Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for best graphics MMO with pvp, and where skill matters, not just grind.

13»

Comments

• Silver_LeafSilver_Leaf Member Posts: 135

Actually what I want is what those small community arena style games offer, but on a world scale with millions of players. Think WoW but with eve's territorial aspect, where you can win space for your side. I don't like eve's guild driven role though, I prefer team VS team, not some rich corp monopolising stuff. Kinda like LOTR's PvP system, LOTR would be perfect if there was pvp worldwide.

Quoting myself:

My MMO History:

EvE Online, WoW, Voyage Century, Silkroad Online, Maplestory (from now on referred to as maple sh** hole)

And still playin and sort of in a love-hate relationship with Dragonica.

------

Well  there were other MMOs of course, but didn't play them for very long so guess it doesn't count.

Runescape was just pathetic, Jumpgate (not JGE) and star sonata made me go back to freelancer and spending 3 years in maple carebear hell really doesn't broaden my horizons a lot.

I am actually rather happy with age of conan, the levels 1-20 have been fun, doesn't feel grindy at all. Things could change later though, but if the voice acted interactive quests continue to be as good from there to 80, I really have nothing to complain about.

LOTR would be perfect if only that pvp system was worldwide.

EvE is perfect if losses weren't so crippling and people could actually go to war without having to go carebear for a week after losing that battleship. Also that if it weren't so repitative.

I sure am dissapointed that MMOs haven't gone as far as I thought it would have, all I want is WoW but with actual consequences for dying (though not as severe as in eve) and the lands change between alliance and horde. I don't like this guild vs guild 100000 wars at once thing.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

I reckon Age of Conan on Cimmeria server.

If its AoC VS EvE id take eve anyday. Thanks for the input but guess eve is still king of the hill in terms of a good pvp sandbox. Its even too hardcore for me...

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Darkfall has player owned houses/villages/keeps/hamlets, and is largely focused on clans sieging each other over their territory.

the combat plays like an overly complicated FPS game and takes real life twitch skills.

AoC can't be properly compared to Eve/Darkfall

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Silver_Leaf

Actually what I want is what those small community arena style games offer, but on a world scale with millions of players. Think WoW but with eve's territorial aspect, where you can win space for your side. I don't like eve's guild driven role though, I prefer team VS team, not some rich corp monopolising stuff. Kinda like LOTR's PvP system, LOTR would be perfect if there was pvp worldwide.
    Quoting myself:
    My MMO History:
    EvE Online, WoW, Voyage Century, Silkroad Online, Maplestory (from now on referred to as maple sh** hole)
    ------
    Well  there were other MMOs of course, but didn't play them for very long so guess it doesn't count.
    Runescape was just pathetic, Jumpgate (not JGE) and star sonata made me go back to freelancer and spending 3 years in maple carebear hell really doesn't broaden my horizons a lot.

I am actually rather happy with age of conan, the levels 1-20 have been fun, doesn't feel grindy at all. Things could change later though, but if the voice acted interactive quests continue to be as good from there to 80, I really have nothing to complain about.
    LOTR would be perfect if only that pvp system was worldwide.
    EvE is perfect if losses weren't so crippling and people could actually go to war without having to go carebear for a week after losing that battleship. Also that if it weren't so repitative.
    I sure am dissapointed that MMOs haven't gone as far as I thought it would have, all I want is WoW but with actual consequences for dying (though not as severe as in eve) and the lands change between alliance and horde. I don't like this guild vs guild 100000 wars at once thing.

It is really difficult to cater for large numbers of people, as you always get groups who are just over competetive or are just trying to push a game to the point of colapse( Hey that would look good on the guild resume).

Servers that can host 2-3k concurrent users with areasonable sized world will always work better. 2-3k concurrent probably mans a player base between 10-20k subscribed so enough people to make things interesting.

AOC 1-20 is a great single player experience ans most of us probably played it to that point. It was after that that it jut went pear shaped. Me personally  didn't play it much after that but they may have improved it overall so it may be fun but again a classic case of prettyness over gameplay and fun.

MMOs were originally played by roleplayers who enjoyed community and longevity, now that the FPS crowd and the masses have arrived you have a dumbed down environments for the masses who need instant gratification and the need to win and crush all opponents I think the original definition does not hold for those of who new real gameplay complexity hardship.

GAmes like UO , AC and EQ1 were great and you could easily play them for a year + , these days games holding my attention for more than 3 months is rare. And before those big 3 you had Meridian, Neverwinter Nights and MUD based starters.

If you want a real gaming experience go play Dragonrealms from Simmutronics and yes it's a MUD(but thats text based not 3D and not an MMO to the point you like. Complex difficult but it has immersion depth and a real OMG was that my arm that just got sliced off factor to it.

Handcrafted environments using toolsets can be very interesting and fun but concurrency on some of these may be no more than 40 players...

Recent examples of what should of been fantastic was Darkfall, great world great environment but just full of shit heads who want to win and cheat at all costs.(Again Guilds being bigger than games, no interest in the game just beating their alter ego guilds).

Mortal Online another sandbox currently pre alpha pretty trashy supposedly going live soon will be a massive fail.

A massive problem with PvP is that real PvPers should be happy with a skill based arena game, trying to retrofit skill based and longevity just does not work, developers should realise that.(Eve in my opinion is the only game that has broken this cycle , but again it has a very clear demarcation between PvE and PvP)

Myself and friend have playe eve since release and have well developed charachters we only just recently built out own POS and headed off intop 0.0 space. We all have billions of ISK and we are at the point that loosig ships doesnt matter. But for Joe Blogs starting from day 1 now they just cant participate.

Must be bored not even sure what this thread is about so i will stop writing....( A Few thoughts)

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

What about Warhammer?  

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by drazzah

What about Warhammer?  

im not sure War has any hope now, though its fortunes might well turn around in the future if it's problems are dealt with i guess..  ..

i'd say Fallen Earth.. or at least as a possibility... until i've played it a bit more myself i can't say for certain.. but so far it looks good..

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by corpusc

with the way you are talking....have you even PLAYED EITHER game?  or are you one of these people that read a bunch of concepts online and decide what koolaid sounds the tastiest without drinking any?
    i'm in the Mortal beta and it is horribly unfinished and buggy.  all kinds of missing interface and icon work.  IE core features.  you can't even properly navigate the terrain.  you can't walk up like...i dunno i think its less than 45 degree angles.  the terrain collision has your character glitching all around like mad on very mild slopes.  like you're constantly rubberbanding.
    you must have a real oddball computer setup if DF is not stable & reliable.  its been in full release and had a free expansion now.  try to come up with some actual reasons when you slam a game.  are you one of those guys that dedicated your life to slamming Darkfall until it came out and then changed your forum account?
    btw i only played DF 2 months, so don't give me any fanboy BS.  you however sound like a MO fanboy.  BTW, i BOUGHT Mortal Online so don't give me any MO troll BS either.

Not being an MO fanboy. Just realizing that it's still in beta and they probably will push it back. Bugs are getting fixed, and faster than they did in Darkfall, as well. There are very few bugs I've encountered personally, one being the rubberbanding on slopes issue and one being an issue the last patch caused with stamina. I'm going based on my experience. The team is doing well considering how bad it could be. Remember Mimesis Online? Don't even start with buggy and unplayable. MO will be ready when it goes retail. The devs aren't stupid, just a bit ambitious. Imho, everyone else is stupid for thinking that a release date for an MMO is solid, regardless how close or far. You say they said the end of January? I say who cares! That's about month left that they could decide to push it back. ;)

It will be ready. Much more ready than Darkfall was. However, I also left Darkfall due to the community. The game ran well with the exception of the fact that there was absolutely no shader optimization in that game whatsoever and if you wanted to put shadows on, it instantly turned into a slideshow even on middle-high end computers. The community on the other hand...they were the worst group of gankers and thieves ever.

• ben3283ben3283 Member Posts: 28

My MMO History:

What I really want is a graphically intense fantasy version of eve online, meaning a real economy, player held space (or at least able to take over space for your faction, unlike WoW), open pvp, big guilds and a community not consisting entirely of tro0s and fanbois. Pay to play is good, I look down on f2p...
    PvP - Territorial, guild vs guild, open player killing, faction, sieges
    Solo or group oriented - Hopefully more group but should still be able to play solo
    Graphic style - Cartoon, anime, or realistic, I don't care so long as its stunning
    View - 3D
    Leveling preference - Quest, PvP, hopefully more on skill and not just grind.
    Free to play (F2P) or pay to play (P2P) - P2P please.

Anyone know of something? Thanks.

Have you even tried Dark Age of Camelot, its old and the population isnt what it used to be. It has really great group pvp, capturing castles and towers over 4 large zones. Battlegrounds for all levels so you can pvp at lower levels, they are not as popular as the big boy pvp but its only 50 levels to max, and the game is mostly grinding for exp or pvp. They have tons more quests now then when it was initially released, and there are a few expainsions to get caught up on.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Do not play DAoC. I tried 3 times. Couldn't stand the graphics all 3 times nor the ancient looking interface.

Seeing as how your title says "best graphics" errr....good luck.

Skill + RPG = non existent. FPS is where skill is at. And if you REALLY want skill (as in, practice makes perfect skills) then play the two games:

Street Fighter 4 (Emphasis on footsies, ie. the range on ALL your attacks, little emphasis on combos)

BlazBlue and/or Guilty Gear (HUGE Emphasis on combos. Any idiot that tells you they "poke" somebody to death isn't playing against the anyone that's decent and they both suck. If you poked me 10 times in that game, and I did 4 full BnB combos w/ Noel, V-13, Ragna, Tager...err...2 BnB and Distortion Drive, you'd be dead and a LOT more. This goes ESPECIALLY with Tager's distortion drive though my main is Noel.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • cc170cc170 Member Posts: 146

I know you are looking for fantasy, but good luck. I would say give Global Agenda a try. It has really nice graphics (although styalized) and nice pvp that requires skill. I preordered it and so far, I like it a lot.

Playing:WoW, GA
    Played:WoW,WAR,AoC,EQ,CoH,GW,EVE,Aion
    Want to play:SW:TOR

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534
    Originally posted by 1998030

Lotro have amazing graphics, awesome gameplay and great pvp. tho the pvp is limited to one zone it is really fun to play, it's amazing how huge battles it is, freeps vs creeps. huge amount of players fighting battles to controll parts of the area.
    the graphics is really amazing. one of the best i've seen in any mmo:
     This picture is old. the picture shows directx 9 graphics.Lotro supports directx 10 features so it would look better if it was directx 10
    the gameplay is really fun aswell. the epic quest line makes the levling fun and enjoyable, the pve of Lotro is also some of the best of any mmorpg's and you don't have to be a hard core player:)
    the latest expansion, siege of mirkwood brought soo many good improvesments which makes it even better;)

LOTRO has "great PVP"?

Did the word "great" change it's meaning? 

The LAST word I would use to describe LOTRO's PVP would be "great" unless it is refering to the GREAT LACK of any meaningful PVP other then 1 repetative zone of ranged zerg blobs.

LOTRO is a very solid polished PVE game, but it's PVP is TERRIBLE!

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Right now the best looking graphics is found in AoC. The Pvp is the same as all the others, just different playfields.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

I recommend Spellborn, honestly. Idk if I did already or not.
    To the guy above me, DF is NOWHERE near mature. Mortal completely dwarfs Darkfall in nearly every aspect. It truly provides sandbox freedom, with a bit of work of course. Sure it needs more content, but it's as stable as any beta and people are full of crap for saying it's not ready for release when THE DEVS HAVE STATED THAT RELEASE WILL ONLY HAVE CORE FEATURES! I haven't once experienced a crash, and only 1 bug so far that I've experienced was game breaking and it was a product of a bad patch. The closest thing I can compare Mortal to is Oblivion without the handouts. I'd compare it to pre-Trammel UO but idk if the OP would quite understand that.

So DF, a fully functioning game with a complete feature list and active successful gameplay, isn't mature. But MO... the game with almost no functioning game systems, that is supposedly a month from release....dwarfs it.  Really? You realize it will be years before your "true sandbox freedom" comes to fruition.  They've got a laundry list of features they want to add, and a dev team so small that it will take forever to implement them all.

Maybe you should look up the definition of mature.  MO is still a fetus, and is funding itself off of promises that may never see the light of day.

It may end up being a good game in time.  But its ridiculous to recommend it to a player looking for a game now.

Originally posted by comerb

So DF, a fully functioning game with a complete feature list and active successful gameplay, isn't mature. But MO... the game with almost no functioning game systems, that is supposedly month from release....dwarfs it.  Really? You realize it will be years before your "true sandbox freedom" comes to fruition.  They've got a laundry list of features they want to add, and a dev team so small that it will take forever to implement them all.
    Maybe you should look up the definition of mature.  MO is still a fetus, barely worthy of being called "alpha".
    It may end up being a good game in time.  But its ridiculous to recommend it to a player looking for a game now.

OH! You meant the game itself is mature. I thought you meant the community...oops. Lol.

And if UO vets can praise Mortal in the state its in then I'm sure I can recommend it to people. ;)

Oh, btw, you get over your Mortal rage. Mortal offers freedom, even in the state its in. Darkfall offers PvP, a lackluster PvE and crafting aspect and more PvP. Don't pull the "i didn't pay for an alpha thing" you knew what you were buying.

Btw, why does NO ONE seem to understand that release dates in the MMO community are the LAST thing you should listen to?

OK I've looked around, let me rephrase.

I'm looking for a MMOFPS with decent graphics at least to WoW's standard, where its less of who has spent more time mindlessly killing mobs (something I hate) to practice makes perfect, like what a FPS should be.

I would love everything WoW has, just make it FPS, and the contested maps actually change hands between the sides based on capturing keeps and all that crap. Its hard to find an mmofps with capturable stuff and a decent economy may I ask.

I mean, no matter how many frickin times we raid winterspring, it NEVER changes hands to the Alliance. I want a game where you can capture stuff for your side.

And I'll definately look into darkfall.

EDIT: Darkfall's graphics suck so bad. Gona look at DAoC

EDIT: DAoC aint an FPS and its graphics are just as bad...

Plus I hate the full loot thing, else why would I quit eve? Oh yeah other than that I want a MMOFPS...

At the moment methinks AoC looks good, but if it gets boring after level 20 and doesn't retain that nice feel, then to hell with it. Ain't an FPS and all but at least it requires tactics, not going up to the enemy, frost nova, arcane missile them to death (hey worked every time in WoW).

I would love everything WoW has, just make it FPS, and the contested maps actually change hands between the sides based on capturing keeps and all that crap. Its hard to find an mmofps with capturable stuff and a decent economy may I ask.

Once again, I think the closest you'll get is Spellborn...

Spellborn sucks because it doesn't have any capturable stuff. Sure you can kill someone a million times, but not gain anything out of it. Darkfall is nice in every way but full loot? Meaning I die I lose everything? No way. Probably even more griefers than in eve.

Also, just played LOTR. Ain't even worth the DL time.