Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population...

Moldy2Moldy2 Member Posts: 73

After just recently resubbing, I noticed that the populations are very low...

What causes me to believe this is that now, on one server, theres only 1 major battle that is being fought on only a single planet (interstellar map).  This is depressing because a game like this should have many people playing, especially during prime hours.  

What would it take for more players to come back to this wonderful game?

Comments

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

People have been asking that question since 2004.

• SequenceLostSequenceLost Member UncommonPosts: 202

marketing,

which SOE has blantant disregard for when it comes to Planetside.  Planetside was always SOE's red-headed stepchild that for some reason never got the love or affection it needed to really make it big.

I usually resub every 6 months or so to see how its going, but generally unsub shortly after due to lack of population.  The Reserves program they ran about 2 years ago was both the best and worst thing they could do if you ask me. It garnered a LOT of attention and thus threw the population through the roof (which in turn made more folks resub as well), however it also gave hackers, cheaters, etc an easier way of entering the game and coming up with some of the hacks/cheats you still see today. 

It would also need money thrown at the development team, which we all know isnt going to happen.  If im not mistaken the game is running on a skeleton crew now and hasnt had any MAJOR developments in over 5 years.  Sure they've made a new gun or two, but nothing significant has changed since about 2004-2005. 

Honestly the best hope you can have for this is that SOE takes all the surveys they had some of us longtime players fill out and actually creates a game based solely on them and not on RMT (which is really just a pipedream considering they've stated theyll have RMT in all future games).

I think Planetside was just a little ahead of its time.  Had it been released a year or two later i really think we wouldnt be having this conversation and instead would all be enjoying it right now.  Unfortunately this isnt the case and all we can do is cross our fingers and hope that SOE doesnt drop the ball on Planetside Next.

• Perdition_ukPerdition_uk Member Posts: 181
    Originally posted by Moldy2

What causes me to believe this is that now, on one server, theres only 1 major battle that is being fought on only a single planet (interstellar map).  This is depressing because a game like this should have many people playing, especially during prime hours.  

I left as SOE refused to do anything about the constant hacking... as did thousands of others around the same time. If they fixed it I'd come back, but lets face it they're never going to.

Getting killed repeatedly by some 13 year old  scumbag hacker from half way across the other side of the level, or sniped while cloaked by someone who cannot possibly see you from the range they are at is not something I want to pay a sub for.

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Perdition_uk

Originally posted by Moldy2

I left as SOE refused to do anything about the constant hacking... as did thousands of others around the same time. If they fixed it I'd come back, but lets face it they're never going to.

Getting killed repeatedly by some 13 year old  scumbag hacker from half way across the other side of the level, or sniped while cloaked by someone who cannot possibly see you from the range they are at is not something I want to pay a sub for.

I agree Perdition_uk . I hate how SOE just throws potential games away that had so much potential.  Same with Vanguard once SOE acquired it. Its disheartening to true fans of those games.

• swiftflowswiftflow Member Posts: 239

The giant robots were the kiss of death. The game was never the same after that and the players left in droves as I was one of them. Good luck putting that genie back in the bottle.

R.I.P. Planetside