Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Best New Game of 2009

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

in my view rune of magic WAS and IS a better game then aion.and its free gees .you dont like it no biggy its free

Really? Why? 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

I agreed with MMORPG this year is Aion, however the reason why I agree is because this year MMORPG SUCKS !!

There are no good new MMORPG in this year at all, and Aion is the winner because they are the most polished game.  This year I have no freaking reason why all the studios rush their project out too soon, (probably the economic storm hits them).

However, I did see some great moments this year for MMORPG that were developed few years, like AoC and LOTRO they kept polishing into something quite awesome!

Although I'm disappointed to MMORPG this year, but 2010 should be great because, APB, Starwars KOTOR, Global Agenda, Earthrise, etc. Many good MMORPG is coming out.  I can't wait !!!

See you guys in game !!

• mutombo55mutombo55 Member Posts: 151

Aion: Best Crap New Game of 2009

• mightyikarimightyikari Member Posts: 101

Aion is winning awards, people are playing it, problems have been and are still being solved with spammers/bots and the like and still the desperate Aion hating trolls still moan.  Funny.

http://www.recycleyourgames.co.uk - Recycle Your Games and Consoles. Help the Environment and Charity!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

I can see why it came first here, but I wonder will the grind and pvp randomness ever be addressed? There is no mention in up coming development of this even being seen as an issue.

• GoroghGorogh Member UncommonPosts: 19

And i don't get it how to pay for f2p mmorpg x_X...ya it cud be only NCSoft...

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Well, given the games it was up against, I can see why it won. I suppose the title should have been named "The best of the worst".

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

2009 was a sad year =.=. May 2010 be far better.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by Admin

Originally posted by etikilam

b) While we did sell some Aion advertising in 2009 the campaign came out to 2.2% of our 2009 advertising sales, and believe it or not  - Fallen Earth did just a little bit more than that.

And how much money did you get for all the other ncsoft titles? How much do you expect to get for all their future ones? Your statement is very misleading.

The real heart of this is not what % of advertising we do with NCSoft (which is really small compared to other clients) but that it would be completely stupid and foolish to risk our/my reputation by influencing the editorial team as the owner and person who books advertising.  This site has been online for the better part of 8 years.  We have had many different editorial staff and had we practiced policies like this you would have heard about it with facts by now.  If we did this then somewhere, someplace there would be some staff member who would have leaked this about us.  I would not risk letting this website go down the drain to make a few bucks on an ad deal - purely from a business perspective this would be a idiotic practice.  And again, my team members have a long career to think about - getting caught up in something like this would ruin them, and they would not allow me to do it even if I were as evil as you think.

Again, if you find conspiracy theory fun, then go ahead and carry on - there is really nothing that I/we could do to convince anyone who is set on this mindset otherwise.  The fact remains that there is zero proof of what is claimed other than you disagree with our editorial team so therefore the results must have been paid for.  All fact and history points to this website being honest and ethical and I take pride in this fact and the way we have structured the business to prevent this.

What leads people to believe it is a conspiracy theory is not that it one best of the year but the huge coincidence that this site gave Aion the highest rating out of any mmo. It's pretty ironic that WoW( yes i went there) which has so many subscribers has attained a score lower than Aion. You can call it a conspiracy theory. I can call it a huge coincidence in the end it doesn't add up and when something doesn't add up it is not believable to anyone.

Another thiing is that sure each person has different opinions on whats awsome and whats not a good game. But people know a game's faults when they see it. When other gaming companies give an honest review and all companies give Aion a C grade level review and miraculously one company gives it a high score does that make any sense? I believe it leads to people not believing the review to be thought out in an appropriate manner.

About the game its starts off fun at the beginning but in the end the content is thin. it reminds me of when Age of conan launched and at high levels didnt have much content. We need sites to stop giving awards to whats the most popular game out there and start giving awards to the games that are polished with content and deserve it.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

dissapointing choice by the staff is all i have to say...

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Have not read all comments but im shocked ... how the hell they won over any of competitors ... remain mistery. Guess 95% votes got from Aion spammers that rapresent 95% of population.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Originally posted by xion12121

b) While we did sell some Aion advertising in 2009 the campaign came out to 2.2% of our 2009 advertising sales, and believe it or not  - Fallen Earth did just a little bit more than that.

And how much money did you get for all the other ncsoft titles? How much do you expect to get for all their future ones? Your statement is very misleading.

The real heart of this is not what % of advertising we do with NCSoft (which is really small compared to other clients) but that it would be completely stupid and foolish to risk our/my reputation by influencing the editorial team as the owner and person who books advertising.  This site has been online for the better part of 8 years.  We have had many different editorial staff and had we practiced policies like this you would have heard about it with facts by now.  If we did this then somewhere, someplace there would be some staff member who would have leaked this about us.  I would not risk letting this website go down the drain to make a few bucks on an ad deal - purely from a business perspective this would be a idiotic practice.  And again, my team members have a long career to think about - getting caught up in something like this would ruin them, and they would not allow me to do it even if I were as evil as you think.

Again, if you find conspiracy theory fun, then go ahead and carry on - there is really nothing that I/we could do to convince anyone who is set on this mindset otherwise.  The fact remains that there is zero proof of what is claimed other than you disagree with our editorial team so therefore the results must have been paid for.  All fact and history points to this website being honest and ethical and I take pride in this fact and the way we have structured the business to prevent this.

What leads people to believe it is a conspiracy theory is not that it one best of the year but the huge coincidence that this site gave Aion the highest rating out of any mmo. It's pretty ironic that WoW( yes i went there) which has so many subscribers has attained a score lower than Aion. You can call it a conspiracy theory. I can call it a huge coincidence in the end it doesn't add up and when something doesn't add up it is not believable to anyone.

Another thiing is that sure each person has different opinions on whats awsome and whats not a good game. But people know a game's faults when they see it. When other gaming companies give an honest review and all companies give Aion a C grade level review and miraculously one company gives it a high score does that make any sense? I believe it leads to people not believing the review to be thought out in an appropriate manner.

About the game its starts off fun at the beginning but in the end the content is thin. it reminds me of when Age of conan launched and at high levels didnt have much content. We need sites to stop giving awards to whats the most popular game out there and start giving awards to the games that are polished with content and deserve it.

The "site" does not review a game - a single writer that we assign to the article determines that score.  Because they are MMOs we require that person to play the game 20-40 hours before writing.  While the Editor does read over the review, the Editor did not play the game that duration and generally does not have the wisdom to second guess the writer assigned the review.

It is not uncommon that reviews might be higher or lower than the average player feels the game deserves.  This happens at all major gaming sites like ours...it is just the nature of the beast and more so with MMOs I think.  I think that is the great thing about looking at reviews from many sites to form an overall opinion and not just looking at a numerical score, but reading the review and listening to pros and cons.

Again, please stop to think what would be at stake if we "sold" reviews or other editorial content on this site.  If this ever got out (and it would I assure you) it would ruin our reputation with our readers and with all other game companies - which would in effect destroy this website, which would be a loss 1000 times greater than any shady deal could bring us. 

I have actually played Aion for what might amount to 30 or so hours since launch, I think it is an OK game and I don't think it is a far stretch to say it was the best overall game launched in 2009 (not game of the year note this is a seperate award yet to come) - but still this was not my decision to make - it was the editorial team that will decide all the site awards.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Aion definitly failed to live up to it's hype, mostly becouse people were expecting WoW 2.0 and it isn''t and thats why other site 'award' as biggest disapointment makes completly sense. But that doesn't make it bad game ! 

People have unrealistics expectation from new mmos, which new games cannot meet unless parent company invests crazy money into it.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

Considering how little they had to chose from maybe AION was the best game of 2009, I cant think of another title that was better.  I rank Aion at 5 on a 10 scale, because it really isnt very good.

An apropriate award title would be; most hyped least retention able comparatively - award of 2009 goes to AION.

Taken from the article:

The game, which was a little bit rough around the edges at launch, is already showing signs of the improvement and growth that are so important for a game of its kind.

The first months have been spend trying to improve on the Spam/RMT/botting issues which they were totally unequipt for at the start. - If you rate that as improvement and retention failure as growth, then I guess in your Alice in Wonderland world, the article is correct in this aspect.

As far as I am concerned, Aion was the biggest dissapointment of 2009, and I based my expectation on NCsoft generated hype. Another good example of how hype can kick its own ass and the companys too in the process.

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

Played Aion to around lvl 42 the realized how bad the grind was going to be to get 50 and quite.

I dont feel it was the time it took to get to lvl 50 it was the way they expected us to get there, ie grind with next to no enjoyable content. This may be ok in Asia but as most logical people can see from various boards and most of the Aion population not being 50, we dont like it here!

Killing the same mobs over and over is a brain dead game play what ever way you spin it.

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

AION LOL !!!

I might be finding myself a new MMO site to read. How a EQ clone that adds nothing new to the MMO genre can win is beyond me. Seriously.

• Micro_angelMicro_angel Member UncommonPosts: 87

True, and fair.

• piranha999piranha999 Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by xion12121

The "site" does not review a game - a single writer that we assign to the article determines that score.  Because they are MMOs we require that person to play the game 20-40 hours before writing.  While the Editor does read over the review, the Editor did not play the game that duration and generally does not have the wisdom to second guess the writer assigned the review.

It is not uncommon that reviews might be higher or lower than the average player feels the game deserves.  This happens at all major gaming sites like ours...it is just the nature of the beast and more so with MMOs I think.  I think that is the great thing about looking at reviews from many sites to form an overall opinion and not just looking at a numerical score, but reading the review and listening to pros and cons.

Again, please stop to think what would be at stake if we "sold" reviews or other editorial content on this site.  If this ever got out (and it would I assure you) it would ruin our reputation with our readers and with all other game companies - which would in effect destroy this website, which would be a loss 1000 times greater than any shady deal could bring us. 

I have actually played Aion for what might amount to 30 or so hours since launch, I think it is an OK game and I don't think it is a far stretch to say it was the best overall game launched in 2009 (not game of the year note this is a seperate award yet to come) - but still this was not my decision to make - it was the editorial team that will decide all the site awards.

So editor's choice is based on reviews of ppl who are required to play a game, not necessary aion, for 20-40 hours?

If thats true, do you really think this is an objective point of view?

In my opinion, reading through forums over the year, and awarding based on this experience would be a lot more representative.

• ironleviironlevi Member Posts: 122

Meh, I guess it's the best of 2009 but that isn't really saying much.

NCwest had a huge advantage with the game already being out for a year in Korea. They knew the problems that would occur. They should have been hard on spammers and bots from day one. Not 3 months after launch. Everyone predicted it, NC knew full on what was going to happen. They even knew which bot programs would be used, since people had spent the last year perfecting them. They lost a massive pile of accounts due to that crap.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

I actually agree with the decision, but I'm not sure that it's due to how good Aion is that it won.  It's mostly because everything else wasn't that good.  I mean every MMO that launched this year was no better than average, some worse than that.  I think if you looked objectively at the beginning of the year, I think alot of people expected Champion's Online to be a bigger deal than it was.  Heck, I'm sure alot of people expected Aion to be a bigger deal than it was. 

At least 2010 has some more potential.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

i agree with it being the best in 2009....

its a sad sad day though, that the bot ridden wasteland of Aion is the best thing put out.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

MMORPG did keep their reasons for this limited in a very short post. I would have to say they are really just voting in the game that sucked the least, maybe. We hope as i'm sure MMORPG does also that 2010 will be a much better year for MMO's, crossing fingers.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

not sure what they mean by unmatched visuals.  AOC hands down runs circles around AION both art wise and graphically.  Champion onlines graphics are on par also.

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76

It's a good/fair choice, Aion is a good game dismissed all the trash comments around certain issues.

Just hope 2010 will bring the next gen MMOrpg, its time for some fresh air !

• Alden120Alden120 Member Posts: 69

What a bunch of nonsense. Aion is a terrible game, it's a blatant rip off of WoW with nothing different but wings. Theres no trouble to tell NC soft slipped over some money to MMORPG.com for this favour . Darkfall deserves this award as it's the most innovative and fun MMORPG to be released in the past 10 years. let alone just 2009, what is wrong with you people.