Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Open-World MMO with good monster/item hunting?

TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentOrlando, FLPosts: 63Member

Hey, guys. I'm a big fan of Ultima Online. While I love it, I know that my fiancee and I wouldn't mind dabbling in the world of the 3D (gasp!). Anyway, I <3 Ultima Online's open world and raiding for those rare items. When I tried WoW (I'm not saying it's bad), and Aion, both words were just too linear for me! I like exploring and enjoying dungeons.

Anyway, I'll accept a level system. That doesn't bother me half as much as the linear-world thing does.

Any recommendations?

- Tryken

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,905Member Uncommon

Considering the last game you were playing was older you might not mind DAOC. Other than that give LOTOR a try, if you're into PVE based gameplay, vanguard also. If you like to PVP, dark fall might fit your taste. Though I'm not sure the monster huntng is up to your standards or not, someone who plays would know better.

EDIT- DAOC recently launched a new server and moved everyone there as far as I know. It's supposed to have quite a bit going on currently. Not a bad time to hop in for your first time IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• LansidLansid Marion, OHPosts: 1,097Member

Asheron's Call, Everquest, Fallen Earth, Anarchy Online... *thinks* Meridian 59... erm... Vanguard mebbe.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• CecropiaCecropia Posts: 3,472Member Uncommon

I'll recommend Darkfall as after playing for over 3 months, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the AI and the loot that comes with it. The AI is surprisingly intelligent and if you kill something shooting you with a bow, you'll most likely find a bow and some arrows in the loot. They will switch from ranged to melee at logical points in combat, as well as heal themselves (if capable), and god forbid will take hits from others in their spawn that take an unfortunate shot. Just shop around for the mob that suits your tastes, there are many varieties. They all have weaknesses, but it is much more complex than that. You need to test many different styles of weapons/magic/archery etc. on each of the many unique spawns, in order to discover what is most efficient and what is not.

This map helps me find the ones I enjoy >>> www.afraidyet.net/forums/misc.php

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb