Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for FPS/TPS MMORPG

gorillaz951gorillaz951 Member Posts: 160

Hello everyone,

I'm currently on the lookout for a new MMORPG to play. Tried a couple of MMOs in the past few months (Aion, AoC, Eve) but they haven't sustained me to play them. Basically, I'm looking for something more "combat" oriented. I've recently checked out future MMOs such as Dragon Nest, Blade and Soul, Continent of the Ninth, and Mabinogi: Heroes. All those seem rather far from hitting the US and I have no clue how to setup an account on foreign websites. But, they are exactly what I have been looking for!

So does anyone have any suggestions on games that would be fairly similar? 

Currently playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, League of Legends

Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Kingdoms of Amular, Firefall

Comments

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Notable FPSMMORPGs:

- Endless Ages (can also be TPS)

- LOVE

- Planetside

- WolfTeam

- Neocron 2

- Mortal Online

Notable TPSMMORPGs:

- Face of Mankind

- Fallen Earth (can also be FPS)

- Project E

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Edit: This post contains bias.

There is Planetside and World War Two: Online. I haven't played either or any of the games you mentioned with the exception of Eve, so I cannot comment on the simliarities. Other games are DDO, DF, and MO.

There is also Dungeons and Dragons online which is free to play with cash shop items needed for advancement if you do not subscribe. I heard those items drop in-game also. The gameplay reminds me of games like Champions of Norrath with a third person point of view.

Darkfall has a TPV for melee and FPV for magic and archery. I detest the movement system though. It feels spastic with no momentum and spells fly slow enough that they are easy to dodge and require you to predict where something is going to be before you let go, which would seem perfectly reasonable, except it is impossible to lead any mob or player because changing direction is near instanteanious(sp?). DF does not have a free trial.

Mortal online is a FPV, that might have TPV for some aspects. It is in beta testing and it is quite obvious that it is in testing. The servers are too laggy at the moment to play apparantly, but if you wish, you can buy access to the beta, in the form of pre-ordering the game for retail price, and have access once you have it downloded and updated. I have no opinion on this game as I have no expereiance with it other than trying to find useful information on the forums. MO has no free trial (since it isn't released) and does not have open beta access. Apparantly they will have an open beta before release.

A free trial to Fallen Earth should be available at this link: www.fallenearth.com/trial

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• gorillaz951gorillaz951 Member Posts: 160

Thanks guys! I've heard about a lot of those games.

Played Fallen Earth sometime during beta and after launch. The graphics and enviornments just didn't appeal to me. LOVE looks very nice, but seems to focus more like Second Life than a combat game, which just isn't my style. Although, FoM does look cool....I'll give that at least a try. I've had friends who played D&D Online, but I detested playing the game because of the MT leveling limits. I would try Darkfall and Planetside, but I've been short on cash for the past couple of weeks and can't buy any new games for awhile. Mainly interested in F2Ps at the moment. 

Any of you guys know any Fantasy games of the same style? I'd like a game where I could play directly from the point of a backstabbing rogue or spell-weaving mage. 

Currently playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, League of Legends

Originally posted by gorillaz951

Played Fallen Earth sometime during beta and after launch. The graphics and enviornments just didn't appeal to me. LOVE looks very nice, but seems to focus more like Second Life than a combat game, which just isn't my style. Although, FoM does look cool....I'll give that at least a try. I've had friends who played D&D Online, but I detested playing the game because of the MT leveling limits. I would try Darkfall and Planetside, but I've been short on cash for the past couple of weeks and can't buy any new games for awhile. Mainly interested in F2Ps at the moment. 
    Any of you guys know any Fantasy games of the same style? I'd like a game where I could play directly from the point of a backstabbing rogue or spell-weaving mage. 

WOAH buddy. NO NO NO NO NO. The game isn't anything close to a game like that.

LOVE is a game where you're thrown into the world with just the clothes on your back and a gun. You run to a settlement and join it or try to get one up if they've all been destroyed. Once a settlement is up, you search for all sorts of gadgets to improve and defend it. You then can go raid AI camps and the likes. There's not much to it yet, but Eskil's working hard to make it a fully engrossing experience.

Fantasy games of that style? Maybe Rakion?

Also, short of cash or not, there are few to none in the world of F2P persistent FPSMMORPGs.

And FoM, wtf are you talking about? MT leveling limits? Misinformed much? There are no levels in FoM. Everyone is equal in fighting aptitude if they all know what they're doing. All there is is ranking up military style which only gives the benefit of leadership.

Really, did you take a good look at any of these games before throwing down your judgement?

• lexillexil Member UncommonPosts: 34

It's maybe a stupid question but what's LOVE? I know the woord ofc.. but the game?

What is it? couldn't find where it stands for

Originally posted by johnmatthais

WOAH buddy. NO NO NO NO NO. The game isn't anything close to a game like that.

LOVE is a game where you're thrown into the world with just the clothes on your back and a gun. You run to a settlement and join it or try to get one up if they've all been destroyed. Once a settlement is up, you search for all sorts of gadgets to improve and defend it. You then can go raid AI camps and the likes. There's not much to it yet, but Eskil's working hard to make it a fully engrossing experience.

Fantasy games of that style? Maybe Rakion?

Also, short of cash or not, there are few to none in the world of F2P persistent FPSMMORPGs.

And FoM, wtf are you talking about? MT leveling limits? Misinformed much? There are no levels in FoM. Everyone is equal in fighting aptitude if they all know what they're doing. All there is is ranking up military style which only gives the benefit of leadership.

Really, did you take a good look at any of these games before throwing down your judgement?

Sorry about that. I kinda quickly read about LOVE on their main webpage. :3

Now that you have explained, it does sound like an interesting concept. So I'm guessing it's mainly a sandbox game? Your explanation made it sound very descision based and open ended. I'll probably give that a try if so.

Also, I didn't say FoM had MT leveling Limits. I said "FoM does look cool....I'll give that at least a try" and then went onto saying Dungeouns & Dragons Online  had MT level limits. Just wanted to clear that up with you. :)

I've heard about Rakion and thought it looked fantastic. From the videos I've seen on Xfire, it looked very fast-paced which was mainly what I like in games. Only downside is that I was searching through their forums a few weeks ago. Noticed a ton of posts about the abundance of hacking in that game. Completely dropped the game due to that problem. There is not one single thing I hate more in a game than hacking or botting. Drains the sense of enjoyment right out of it when your team is getting obliterated by one obvious cheater :(

Sorry about that. I kinda quickly read about LOVE on their main webpage. :3

Now that you have explained, it does sound like an interesting concept. So I'm guessing it's mainly a sandbox game? Your explanation made it sound very descision based and open ended. I'll probably give that a try if so.
    Also, I didn't say FoM had MT leveling Limits. I said "FoM does look cool....I'll give that at least a try" and then went onto saying Dungeouns & Dragons Online  had MT level limits. Just wanted to clear that up with you. :)
    I've heard about Rakion and thought it looked fantastic. From the videos I've seen on Xfire, it looked very fast-paced which was mainly what I like in games. Only downside is that I was searching through their forums a few weeks ago. Noticed a ton of posts about the abundance of hacking in that game. Completely dropped the game due to that problem. There is not one single thing I hate more in a game than hacking or botting. Drains the sense of enjoyment right out of it when your team is getting obliterated by one obvious cheater :(

Aight, well thanks for the pleasant response. I don't ever mean my posts bitterly, just can't ever think of any other way to say them lol.

In any case, LOVE is very decision based, open-ended and teamwork oriented. The catch is that at this point, it's more a game to watch than anything. It was, is and always will be the game that had the most stable alpha release, resulting in little lag, few server crashes and not so many bugs on anything from average to amazing in terms of hardware. The game just entered its "beta" phase, which you have to pay for so that Eskil can run the servers (it was his compromise with the community, pay $5 a month for alpha/beta or have a closed test of only 200 players on the one server that was donated to him at no running cost) and it seems to be improving all the time. However, currently the game is in a bare bones state. It currently only has core gameplay and can become repetitive. Furthermore, Eskil is working on finishing up his content toolset and will be adding more content regularly. Personally, I'm going to try to return to the game when I get a replacement to my poor gaming computer that had a brutal motherboard failure.

I understand the mixup with DDO and FoM now lol.

Yes, I too have heard terrible things about Rakion's community. In any case, I heard terrible things about WolfTeam as well and it's my favorite F2P shooter despite that. You just have to stick it to them. They're not invincible, just have a slight advantage. ;)

Hehe. Yeah I tried out Wolfteam when it was back in its Open Beta phase. Not that I didn't like the game, but I had the most difficult time with lag. I had unusually high ping constanly in every server I tried. Very dissapointed.

I'll definitely have to try out LOVE when it's released. I've heard so much about that game and how much effort Eskill has put into it. Really amazes how he has actually pulled this game off by himself! Even if he does ask for the 5$/month this phase, I would gladly play it. I've seemed to be in the mood of supporting indie games and their developers recently.

Global Agenda, HiRez Studios first project, has gained quite a bit of popularity in the Indie department. I know once that comes out I will be supporting them as well. In the meantime, I'll try out FoM and see how I like that.

Thank you for helping me with this. I really appreciate your help and will gladly talk anytime! 

• DiiusDiius Member Posts: 19

I'm currently in GA beta, and right now i'm having a ton of fun. We'll see how the overall package ends up, but right now I have faith. 

• Hellrazor27Hellrazor27 Member Posts: 55

Too add a little more info on what i know about FPS/TPS MMO's

Planetside

Neocron

Global Agenda (eta Feb1/10)

Darkfall

Mortal Online (eta 2010)

Crimecraft

Fallen Earth

Thats pretty much all i can think of.Most of what i've listed here are solid games and are worth at least checking out .

I just ended up buying Global Agenda, haha. Here's to hoping my new lappy gets here by this weekend. ;)

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently on the lookout for a new MMORPG to play. Tried a couple of MMOs in the past few months (Aion, AoC, Eve) but they haven't sustained me to play them. Basically, I'm looking for something more "combat" oriented. I've recently checked out future MMOs such as Dragon Nest, Blade and Soul, Continent of the Ninth, and Mabinogi: Heroes. All those seem rather far from hitting the US and I have no clue how to setup an account on foreign websites. But, they are exactly what I have been looking for!

Mabinogi: Heroes releases in North America around the middle of this month im hearing. I'm playing Mabinogi at the moment.

Originally posted by johnmatthais

I just ended up buying Global Agenda, haha. Here's to hoping my new lappy gets here by this weekend. ;)

Coolios :) Hit me up and we can play some matches during the beta. Steam username is Gorillaz951 and Xfire is in signature.

Originally posted by MattMassacre

Hello everyone,

Mabinogi: Heroes releases in North America around the middle of this month im hearing. I'm playing Mabinogi at the moment.

Very nice info! Hope it's true and does come out in a month or two at least. I've been waiting on this game for quite awhile. Although I didn't like the social aspect Mabinogi had, but I'm sure Heroes will be more centered towards the "Hardcore" players :)