Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What should be the devs priority?

DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

This Poll is aimed at current or ex-players of Potbs.

Is there a need for any be done before the Power & Prestige expansion release?

Comments

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I played it directly after its release and it is a nice game and i like the shipcombat and all the stuff BUT...

It is not and will not be the major mmo i play - it could be a second played mmo but not at its current subscription-fee.

AoC is down to ~8 Euros per month (1 year subscription) and PotBS can simply not stay at 13 to 15 bucks...and when the times become even more harder than 2009 it will even have to go f2p to let me reconsider playing it...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553
    Originally posted by Blutmaul

AoC is down to ~8 Euros per month (1 year subscription) and PotBS can simply not stay at 13 to 15 bucks...and when the times become even more harder than 2009 it will even have to go f2p to let me reconsider playing it...

I agree with this but FLS are tied in with SOE station for billing, they may not want to reduce Potbs without reducing all their other subscription games.

Something should be done as even Aion's sub is cheaper in Europe.

• KieferCKieferC Member UncommonPosts: 35

Yes, if demand is down chase it with lower subscription fees.   I approve this message.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I think the problem is that FLS tried giving PotBS away for free in Australia and it made no difference.

The client was free here and FLS gave away "Ambassador" accounts (which was a years free play)

The Ambassadors were there to kick start the game and keep it going.

You might recall Rusty often said that they would be watching Australia - but after it happened he stopped talking about it?

I don't have figures (obviously) but I am pretty sure most of the Ambassadors didn't last?

They were playing for free - so clearly the issue was deeper than just the monthly cost?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

I have not played this game since last April, but I never stopped reading about what went on with the game, rather out of curiosity than a desire to return to it someday.   I can't really comment on any of the recent in-game features because I have never tried them, but had it not been for this forum and the official PotBS forum I would have heard nothing, nada.  It seems to have vanished completely, or it is under everyone's radar, which is surprising given the upcoming "expansion" (which reads like a rehash of things promised at launch, but FLS wouldn't be the first to turn to this creative use of semantics).  Even articles/threads here have dwindled to next to nothing.

That other thread, "Why is this game so dead?" sounds especially familiar.  It seems people have long memories, as "no crying in the red circle" was dropped in June of 2008, right after that "Ambush Gameplay" devlog entry, yet it's still getting mentioned by some posters here.  Amazingly, you can still find FLS staffers brazen enough to drag out the old "war isn't fair" mantra, like Lum did just at the beginning of this month.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Gyrus

I think the problem is that FLS tried giving PotBS away for free in Australia and it made no difference.
    The client was free here and FLS gave away "Ambassador" accounts (which was a years free play)

The Ambassadors were there to kick start the game and keep it going.
    You might recall Rusty often said that they would be watching Australia - but after it happened he stopped talking about it?

I don't have figures (obviously) but I am pretty sure most of the Ambassadors didn't last?

They were playing for free - so clearly the issue was deeper than just the monthly cost?

Have Australians a high affinity towards pirates? Maybe it was a dead horse from the beginning...but that is speculation...i really do not know anything about australian game/mmo market.

They have to find out what people in which country like pirateous adventures and have a density of onlinegamers that can lead to the expectation there is a market for it...even if it is only a second played mmo then...but maybe it missed its window of opportunity to be successfull.

But i really really liked the ship combat and the imagination of a breeze of salty sea air in my face ;)

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I couldn't vote for any of the options as I lost track of what was going on in PotBS long ago. I was in the closed beta for a while and it seemed ok but when the game went live, a whole load of issues surfaced that meant the game was a trainwreck. The PvP system was broken and the stupid red circles meant that people trying to level their characters doing PvE missions and trading couldn't even do that without being ganked by groups of high level characters lying in wait.

The game was horribly broken and it didn't surprise me at all when I read of server closures. Whatever they do now, I can't ever see myself going back even if they offered a free trial.

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553
    Originally posted by reaperuk

The game was horribly broken and it didn't surprise me at all when I read of server closures. Whatever they do now, I can't ever see myself going back even if they offered a free trial.

The game is also very easy to fix, answers & suggestions are flying past everyday day but FLS appear to be in another world.

The only reason so many players still follow Potbs is because they know the potential is there to fix it to make it a really good game.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Tell you what I would do to PoTBS.    I would make the islands seamless to allow for exploration and places for players to adventure and gather resources.   Second.   Implement Mount and Blade style combat(yes it would work with muskets even in the game - I know because I made a musket mod for Mount and Blade).   Keep the ship to ship combat as is.  That is the only thing that is working correctly.

Imagine though better melee and ranged combat!  Imagine exploring the yacatan and coming across an old mayan temple and exploring further you come across a lost mayan burial chamber with phat loots!!!!!!!!   OMG going on a treasure map hunt would be awesome as you made your way across some island.    You might have to fight natives.  What about attacking a city and pillaging it(in the style of Mount and Blade)?! OMFG!  That would rock!

Pirates of the Burning Sea could be so very cool...::sigh::...frak why do these game designers crumble to accept mediocre.   Games like PoTBS and Age of Conan could have been so much more...seriously.    The designers took the games in the wrong direction and it is now hurting them because the games are to confining and linear.