Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/occ "Train to KC Entrance! Save the Women and the Rangers first!"

13»

Comments

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by Josher

No, the maturity level is hard to take with the terminology you use like lemmings and pussification.   And the fact that you think  your hardcore play style is some sort of justification for how "good " you are.   Games you like are niche and don't appeal to most people.  Older MMOs that had qualities you like had to change just to stay alive.  In the end, if trains, heavy death penalties and other older features were still appealing, those older MMOs wouldn't have changed or had them eliminated them completely.  So, in the end, all that matters are the games.  Games that you like will be few and far between because your interests are too niche for any major developer to spend time on.   So who's happier in the end?  People like me who can see through pointless excessive penalties based on lots of time=)
    Just curious.  Is it the difficulty of the challenge or the punishment that matters, because according to you, it doesn't matter how difficult the challenge is, because if the penalty isn't hardcore enough, its just boring pussification=)  ALl your enjoyment is based on how difficult the punishment is, not how FUN the game might actually be.  Dead Space for example is a pretty damn good survival horror game, but by your own admission it must suck because the penalty for failure is just a few minutes or less. Mass Effect must suck as well, due to no major penalty.  Dragon Age also was sucky.  Every FPS must suck.  99% of games must suck because you can always save within a few minutes .  Doesn't leave you that much to play;)

Look, I'm not sure how you've twisted what I've said into what you just said, but I don't try to be trollish or nasty with anyone. I apologize if you were offended by the term pussification, I meant it in a tounge-in-cheek fashion.

Let me try this again.

Firstly, what is risk? It is when you have something to lose. Right? Does that have anything to do with difficulty? I don't see how. Punishment? Well, I suppose that if you lose it could be viewed in that way.

Now, let's take Mass Effect. I don't play some single player games for the same reasons that I play mmos. I loved Mass Effect as a story driven game that was very cinimatic. Combat was less of a focus for me. It was ok, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't something that I really gave much thought to. The great part of the game, for me, was the next thing along the story line. Take that away, and yes, the side missions were HORRIBLY boring.

I did not play that game for the same type of experience, see?

Now, I also play a lot of wargames and I'm not talking about close combat. More like historical simulations - see battlefront.com if you are interested, but you just don't get the right feel there if you save and go back. Again, I'm not necessarily playing the wargame for the same experience in an mmo. But, as they say... no plan survives first contact with the enemy. But IT WOULD if you saved and kept going back every time you uncovered an ambush that hurt you or whatever.

MMOs are totally unique. But by thier names they are RPGs. Ok, well there's even sub-cultures of those. And one of them is Fallout 3.  Now there I've got the difficulty ramped up and I AM sort of looking for the same type of exerience that I'd get in a "perfect" mmo. A big open world with lots to do. And I want a behemoth to be SCARY! So, although I'll certainly save, I tend to try not to do so too often, because it DOES take some intensity out of the gane FOR ME.

Not saying it should be that way fo you or anyone in particular. If you can get the same feel other ways, good for you.

All I am saying is that if we have and can address diverse tastes in movies and theatre and books and movies, then why should it be that only one formula works for any game?

To me, it's just more thrilling a game if you have somethinng to lose. And maybe that's what makes thrill seekers skydive, bungy jump, white water raft and so forth because one sort of "pushes the envelope"... it gets the adrenaline flowing. It's powerful!

I've never bungy jumped, but I have sky dived, hang glided and white water rafted.

Perhaps it's just a mindset thing. I like "the edge" if you will. And at 51, it's gettin' just a bit dangerous. :)

• JehennaJehenna Member Posts: 27

"sow plz"

"sow plz!"

"sow plzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!ffs"

"And I'm an enchanter... so ... ?"

(Ok, I spent a lot of time in spirit wolf form.)

Was discussing Rathe Council with a friend last night. An hour of mezzing the damn mob every 90 seconds, stuck in a cave, watching the raid text flow by. And then a spider crawls across my desk.

I'm an arachnophobe, but that spider got to live, as I couldn't spare both hands to catch it and take it outside. And squishing it right there was just too ...ewwww....

And of course, wiping the raid was out of the question.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Everyone remember how OP'd Necros were... and how much people would bitch on the boards about it... but the Necro Fanclub would run out with their rage and destroy all opposition against them? Everything got nerfed BUT them back in the day.

also, "Breeze plz!"

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Originally posted by Lansid

Everyone remember how OP'd Necros were... and how much people would bitch on the boards about it... but the Necro Fanclub would run out with their rage and destroy all opposition against them? Everything got nerfed BUT them back in the day.
    also, "Breeze plz!"

Lol. I was always fighting for Tables in Plane of Fire with a damn necro. I could quad kite just as efficient as a wizard... lmao

• fearless47fearless47 Member UncommonPosts: 34

This thread made me remember when they first added the Velious expansion.

The port into velious that would land the group in the middle of dervishes, being first through the port was a pain, those dervishes were nasty.

Also the bridge in the dwarven city where everyone would slide on the ice and somebody almost always slid off the side of the bridge. At the bottom was a pit and the only way out was to be ported by someone. There was also a cave down there that led to very high lvl mobs at the time. First time people would try to find their way out by following the cave and it was like instant death from the mobs in there and no where to run. I would always /yell Troll Under The Bridge.

GOT SOW !   <---- many t-shirts were printed with that saying.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

"Evac incoming!!! Get close now or get left behind!!!"

Back  before instant evacs. Funny thing is those evac spells could randomly leave someone behind anyway, including the caster.

image image

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

"Heart" apparently translates into broken/lousy game mechanics and the struggle people had with them;)   BUGS are not heart. Exploits are not heart either.  Greifing isn't either.  But when you NEED frustration to enjoy yourself in a videogame, is it any surprise games just don't exist like they used to?  People just aren't that pathetic and stupid anymore to accept it.  Well....SOME people don't accept it=)

It is ridiculous how overlooked trolling is these days.

• Samkin772Samkin772 Member Posts: 104

/shout " We thought we ruled, we thought we owned, but OMG - TRAIN TO ZONE! "

love it

Lost the better part of a level's worth of exp trying to get corpse out of Sol A onetime,  died three or four times dragging it back out of the dungeon.  The exp loss hurt, but it was sooo satisfying because I did it myself.

You really knew who your friends were in that game, when you sacrificed in that game, it WAS a sacrifice.  Ofc, there were times when I wanted to reach through the screen and throttle stupid people, because when you got screwed, you got screwed.  I remember pulling from the giant fort in FM (this is the day I realized Harmony doesn't work at all on giants), I pulled all three named giants, but the group said to bring em on.  Cleric was OOM, the meleers were at around 1/4 life, but we were on the last giant and going to survive.....then a monky (playing solo next to our group) pulled two more, then feigned death.  I died and someone else died, but the rest made it to zone.  After we got back to our site, the monky had the gall to ask for a heal, needless to say our cleric freaked out.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

The one thing i can say about Everquest 1 .. is that when you played with people there you got to know them. In ruins of Kunark, there was nothing like sitting in Seb for hours trying to get a fungi tunic. Deaths meant something and when you killed the dragons, it was soo worth the effort.

Anyone remember when Veeshans Peak was not even supported by GMs? If you zoned in you had 2 exits ... death or killing Phara Dar. Talk about a true challenge, i lost my Plane of Fear armor there and many other things hehe.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

"Heart" apparently translates into broken/lousy game mechanics and the struggle people had with them;)   BUGS are not heart. Exploits are not heart either.  Greifing isn't either.  But when you NEED frustration to enjoy yourself in a videogame, is it any surprise games just don't exist like they used to?  People just aren't that pathetic and stupid anymore to accept it.  Well....SOME people don't accept it=)

I dunno, you would think the most popular MMORPG out there which has 13 million people, they must be catering to some group of players.  A group of players not competent enough to handle the old BWL40 or AQ40 or Naxx40.  So dumb down the content, make it easier, etc.

The most popular MMORPGs have the highest concentration of lousy players.  Most WoW players wouldn't even be able to reach level 60 in a game like EQ.  And you call EQ players stupid? Lol..  And don't forget how many times Blizz had to dumb down WoW before it was doable for that type of player.  They were just that bad

• MurdaMurdaMurdaMurda Member Posts: 24

Most of my friends, as well as myself, remember exactly where they camped their EQ1 character for the last time before saying good bye to the Everquest world for the very last time.  Many people made youtube videos of old EQ1 memories.

How many people really gave a rats ass where they camped their WoW toon for the last time?  A game where I literally watched tv and smashed random number keys on my keyboard to solo to 60?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by skarwolf

Old school EQ was train to zone of solb and lguk.  The only two dungeons you could exp in to get 50th aside for killing guards outside of cities.  Usually 5-10 people stood around the zone lines waiting to join groups.  
    The great part was when a train occured and some dumbass troll or ogre was afk at the zone in and nobody could get by and all died thanks to player models being able to block doorways.

There were a lot more zones than that to EXP in to get to 50, just some weren't viable.

Kith Woods at night, Kedge Keep, some spots in Ocean of Tears, and Permafrost Keep (by Vox) come to mind.

• HeallunHeallun Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by lisubab

Originally posted by Azareal

Getting drunk inside the boat in OOT was a bad idea... you would clip through the boat and end up in the ocean.

ROFL, seriously, that happened to me but was on the ride to Erudin from Qeynos. Took me 3 solid hours to get back to land.

Aside from the quotes, what about that stupid spell book that used to pop up when you med. Was like one killer of a static screensaver. Especially when you tried to med somewhere like in the middle of Stonebrunt.

Aye that is one of the most stupid design for casters characters during early EQ, when you med for mana recovery you automatically open your spellbook which fills your screen.  You might die if you are not very watchful and do not realise a mob is hitting you when you med.

That feature was later removed, months later.  That feature was not as /ooc though.

Yes, Meditate.

medding, OOM.

(This is a perfect example of why it is often mistaken that EQ was a social game. In reality, most of us casters had NOTHING ELSE TO DO, while waiting 2-10 minutes and started up conversations.)

I don't recall when or if they removed that feature... but I played my cleric past it and never played another caster because of it. And yes... Graduating to Unrest status was synonymous with gaining your surname too... whee. Remember everyone lined up against the wall like a MMO dodgeball game? Liked Unrest more than Mistmoore though., hated getting there though, stoopid aqua goblins and breaking your legs falling off the big rocks along the water.... what was the water zone under that? Totally forget.

Kedge Keep--the zone remained unitemizated (not even trash loot, lol) until 6 mo's after launch.  Underwater mechanics were a bit wonky at the time.  The zone later became more synonamous with phinigel autropos and the corrupted seahorse (druid epic).  Beyond that, no one -really- came to kill estrella of gloomwater--they just happened to see her and say wtf? :P

Heallun Rumblebelly of Vazaelle, Archon forever =D

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Originally posted by Ginkeq

I dunno, you would think the most popular MMORPG out there which has 13 million people, they must be catering to some group of players.  A group of players not competent enough to handle the old BWL40 or AQ40 or Naxx40.  So dumb down the content, make it easier, etc.

The most popular MMORPGs have the highest concentration of lousy players.  Most WoW players wouldn't even be able to reach level 60 in a game like EQ.  And you call EQ players stupid? Lol..  And don't forget how many times Blizz had to dumb down WoW before it was doable for that type of player.  They were just that bad

Your skill in WoW raging has increased! (2)

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• ZoomzooZoomzoo Member Posts: 82

I remember that meditate book and staring at it while hearing the sounds of battle all around you.  Gads, what a challenge to balance your mana with the need to keep key members of the group alive while trying to not attract any mob's attention. And there was lots of furious typing because there was no voice chat so you had to read the text at the same time.  Because you needed to know everyone's role and prioritize your healing, you (as the healer) got to know everyone's names. 

Amazing times and A LOT OF FUN

I can still remember the names of my primary characters even after all these years.  Sad that times like these are gone - and probably gone forever...

You needed a pretty good tank to able to sit and med as well. That alone would move you up the hate list rather quickly. :)

• mazrothmazroth Member Posts: 8

EQ was the last game I played where I could go online, play all day, probably fail at any character progression that day (once I was lev 50 at least, I only played pre-kunark)...and yet still have had fun and not feel like I "wasted" the time.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

TRAIN

RUN

RUN

RUN

RUN

SERIOUSLY

I'M NOT JOKING 

RUN

IF YOU'RE STILL READING THIS YOU ARE DEAD

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Originally posted by Amathe

TRAIN
    RUN
    RUN
    RUN
    RUN
    SERIOUSLY
    I'M NOT JOKING 
    RUN
    IF YOU'RE STILL READING THIS YOU ARE DEAD

I feel like I'm in Blackburrow now. :)