Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need to ask

SimielSimiel Member Posts: 149

In no way am I attempting to offend or bring anyone down with this thread, it's a mere question coming from my curiosity after watching several youtube videos and the "soft launch" video that I've seen here on MMORPG website.

Was there any effort to create an element that is original in Alganon?

Comments

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

The lore and the world.

I think the plan was to copy the core of WoW because everyone is familiar with it and add some unique features on top that core. Some of this is outlined on their web site. The released game is a subset of what was originally planned and mostly an attempt to implement these core features so it looks and feels a lot like WoW. There are exceptions like the study system. I'm not sure any of the planned features would have had any impact on the look and and feel or even the initial impression of the game, but it would at least have added some features that differentiate it a bit more from other MMOs. At this point I think the missing classes and races would probably contribute the most to making the game feel more original.

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Simiel

In no way am I attempting to offend or bring anyone down with this thread, it's a mere question coming from my curiosity after watching several youtube videos and the "soft launch" video that I've seen here on MMORPG website.
    Was there any effort to create an element that is original in Alganon?

There was lot of talk, and probably a lot of ideas about what they could add to make the game feel more original, but as far as any effort from a programming side of it -- probably very little. As the above poster said -- they created a core based around World of Warcraft, then they kind of took all of their ideas and shelved them to get something out. A world with only 4 zones is a sad world, and their whole family idea is essentially people hit a button and get another chat channel.

Look, the game may be fantastic if everything was implemented from the launch, but with only 1/4th the game available to play, I just want the game to fail.

I know that sounds horrible, but people need to learn not to push shit out the door when it isn't close to being ready.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Yeah, it's pretty clear that their plan was: Step 1, copy World of Warcraft; Step 2, add some original features on top of that copy.

Problem is, they ran out of money before they'd even finished Step 1, let alone made a decent start on Step 2, and had to push this horrible disaster out the door.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I would not dismiss that family chat channel as trivial.  Properly used it represents a very valuable feature that no other mmorpg has ever offered.  If any other dev team picks up on the idea and uses it in a game worth playing then Alganon will have made a positive contribution to the genre.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

Go to the official site. Several interesting ideas are included in this game.

Originally posted by weslubow

Go to the official site. Several interesting ideas are included in this game.

Name them. Sorry, saying go to the website does nothing. If you can't name them, they aren't actually available. The only idea in the game so far is the Study System and the Wiki.

Originally posted by angus858

I would not dismiss that family chat channel as trivial.  Properly used it represents a very valuable feature that no other mmorpg has ever offered.  If any other dev team picks up on the idea and uses it in a game worth playing then Alganon will have made a positive contribution to the genre.

It is trivial, because for most people there is no thought put into picking which one they do, it's just a random button to get a random chat channel.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Yeah, it's pretty clear that their plan was: Step 1, copy World of Warcraft; Step 2, add some original features on top of that copy.
    Problem is, they ran out of money before they'd even finished Step 1, let alone made a decent start on Step 2, and had to push this horrible disaster out the door.

There is only one way to out WoW, WoW and that is to have a bigger, meaner more talented dev team with a bigger budget. Hence why copying WoW is the route to FAILURE.

Unless you have everything WoW has done better and a boatload of additional features its far, far, far better off to try and design somthing that is fun and unique verses cheap knockoff IMO.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!