Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO on the market.

redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

PVP on land and on the high seas:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miWFZ4hNyDo&fmt=22

Comments

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

Shouldn't you rephrase that to "No pvp just ganking noobs on land and the high Sea's" Since I bet this is probally 90% of the pvp that happens since its always like that in these pvp sandbox games :P

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Title of the thread should be renamed to: "Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO IN MY OPINION."

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

$ONY dont let me watch it

( This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country. )

Use something that is like internet and not some stuff from companies that are mentaly pre-1990 and don't know whats internet and how to use it.

--Funny how after their online game department destroys games thier music department is about to destroy youtube and now their scope of things to destroy is the internet lol ---

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• aparatusaparatus Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by twiggy550

Title of the thread should be renamed to: "Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO IN MY OPINION."

Your phrase should be renamed to: "Title of the thread should be renamed IN MY OPINION to: "Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO IN MY OPINION.""

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

That was my guild city that got bombarded.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO on the market.

normal wall-mart´s victim

Generation P

• Squirv01Squirv01 Member Posts: 155
    Originally posted by aparatus

Your phrase should be renamed to: "Title of the thread should be renamed IN MY OPINION to: "Why Darkfall Online is the best MMO IN MY OPINION.""

Technically, shouldn't it be "Why Darkfall is the best MMO in my opinion."?  Is the word online part of the products name?  I just want to get this correct.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Squirv01

Technically, shouldn't it be "Why Darkfall is the best MMO in my opinion."?  Is the word online part of the products name?  I just want to get this correct.

In fact it is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There is another game released previously that is called Darkfall, and for copyright issues technically this game cannot be called just Darkfall, although in the graphics the "online" doesn't appear, that's the actual full name of the game.

Google it.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I stopped watching after the warning screen.

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

I don't know if DF is the best mmo on the market...but it should get points for at least going in a different direction then all the mmos coming out lately.  Everyone wants to beat WoW at WoWs game by copying it dramatically.  DF comes along catering to a specific niche market of hardore pvp gamers and gets blasted for having the balls to do so.

Originally posted by ste2000

There is another game released previously that is called Darkfall, and for copyright issues technically this game cannot be called just Darkfall, although in the graphics the "online" doesn't appear, that's the actual full name of the game.

Google it.

Very interesting.  I see that the official website is www.darkfallonline.com but interestingly, the word online is not quickly identifiable as being used elsewhere when taking a relative quick look at the website.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by otter3370

I don't know if DF is the best mmo on the market...but it should get points for at least going in a different direction then all the mmos coming out lately.  Everyone wants to beat WoW at WoWs game by copying it dramatically.  DF comes along catering to a specific niche market of hardore pvp gamers and gets blasted for having the balls to do so.

The funny thing is that DF did nothing phenomenal. You want to see what DF copied go play UO. You want to talk about hardocre PvP players go play UO. UO was and most likely still is (have not played in several years) the most hardcore sandbox game around and it certainly has not died out.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Google it.

Very interesting.  I see that the official website is www.darkfallonline.com but interestingly, the word online is not quickly identifiable as being used elsewhere when taking a relative quick look at the website.

That's because they wanted to call the game just Darkfall but they discovered there was another game with that name, so they added "Online" on the legal papers to avoid being sued, but the game unoficially is still Darkfall.

Originally posted by sonicbrew

The funny thing is that DF did nothing phenomenal. You want to see what DF copied go play UO. You want to talk about hardocre PvP players go play UO. UO was and most likely still is (have not played in several years) the most hardcore sandbox game around and it certainly has not died out.

Sonicbrew, I'm going to definately have to agree with you in the idea that Ultima Online was the most hardcore sandbox type game that has ever existed.  I'm going to add to this that the game's level of hardcore declined with the implementation of the land within the game known as Trammel.  Definitions of the words hardcore and sandbox are obviously debatable.

Google it.

That's because they wanted to call the game just Darkfall but they discovered there was another game with that name, so they added "Online" on the legal papers to avoid being sued, but the game unoficially is still Darkfall.

Thanks and the game company's reasoning is completely understandable.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Sonicbrew, I'm going to definately have to agree with you in the idea that Ultima Online was the most hardcore sandbox type game that has ever existed.  I'm going to add to this that the game's level of hardcore declined with the implementation of the land within the game known as Trammel.  Definitions of the words hardcore and sandbox are obviously debatable.

Yea I would agree with you and I forgot to mention that. Trammel really killed it for many players. I guess I was just trying to make a subtle point. I am so sick of hearing about how great DF is. My guild has been gaming for over twelve years together and they were one of the top guilds in UO. A few went to DF and lasted a week. That's how impressed they were. I am not talking about casual players either. heck, one of my guild buddies had his own keep in UO and was a top player. I chose to avoid DF simply because I had good people tell me what they thought of the game. hell, my buddy even offered to let me play it until his sub ran out and I a MMOless and have been for a long time now but I could not do it.

However, I am still glad to see someone steering off the mainstream course. I wish DF well because it opens the market for more competition and I know that I and many friends are tired of cookie cutter, end game raid BS.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

Google it.

It is noteworthy perhaps that the owner rights  of the trademark  "Darkfall"  belongs to Aventurine S.A meanwhile and the competitor has give up. 

Aventurine had filled the application earlier then the competitor anyway. (and won  despite the fact that the competitor manage to place a product earlier at  the market... hehe)

EDIT: also just noticed meanwhile the tardemark got extended  and includes :

"Clothing items, namely, shirts, shorts, sweatshirts, jackets, pants and hats with a fantasy game theme"

and

"Toys and miniatures, namely, action figures, stuffed toy animals and playsets for role-playing, and play figures with a fantasy game theme"

LOL

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Google it.

It is noteworthy perhaps that the owner rights  of the trademark  "Darkfall"  belongs to Aventurine S.A meanwhile and the competitor has give up. 

Aventurine had filled the application earlier then the competitor anyway. (and won  despite the fact that the competitor manage to place a product earlier at  the market... hehe)

That's interesting.  So what I'm to understand is that a company can claim a product name without having actually released a prduct with said name.  Is this correct?

For example, If I go to the people who by currenty laws within society have the right to designate me with legal ownership of a hypothetical product named Bling Bling Online and I never develop the product with this name, no other company can legally develop, produce and market a game named Bling Bling Online because I own that title.  Is this true? 

That's interesting.  So what I'm to understand is that a company can claim a product name without having actually released a prduct with said name.  Is this correct?

For example, If I go to the people who by currenty laws within society have the right to designate me with legal ownership of a hypothetical product named Bling Bling Online and I never develop the product with this name, no other company can legally develop, produce and market a game named Bling Bling Online because I own that title.  Is this true? 

Well i am not a lawyer  tbh but the case of  "Darkfall" shows something like that. You first to file a pplication then you have the bigger chances and right. 

EDIT : Found meanwhile proof

The status  of the competitor's appication is : "Further action on the application has been suspended."

cited from  SUSPENSION LETTER

"Action on this application is suspended pending the disposition of:

- Application Serial No(s). 78284311 and 78284269 ([ Aventurine's Darkfall] *note added)

Since applicant's effective filing date is subsequent to the effective filing date of the above-identified application(s), the latter, if and when it registers, may be cited against this application in a refusal to register under Section 2(d) of the Trademark Act, 15 U.S.C. §1052(d). See 37 C.F.R. §2.83; TMEP §§1208 et seq."

and

"The applicant submitted a consent agreement concerning the cited applications in its response of December 6, 2004. However, the applicant’s consent agreement is illegible. The examining attorney continues to cite all prior pending application from the original application until a legible copy of the consent agreement is accepted. "

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

If the game sucks the game sucks no matter what direction or what player they want to cater to.

Originally posted by Scyris

If the game sucks the game sucks no matter what direction or what player they want to cater to.

Good thing it doesn't suck then isn't it? 

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

Yea I would agree with you and I forgot to mention that. Trammel really killed it for many players. I guess I was just trying to make a subtle point. I am so sick of hearing about how great DF is. My guild has been gaming for over twelve years together and they were one of the top guilds in UO. A few went to DF and lasted a week. That's how impressed they were. I am not talking about casual players either. heck, one of my guild buddies had his own keep in UO and was a top player. I chose to avoid DF simply because I had good people tell me what they thought of the game. hell, my buddy even offered to let me play it until his sub ran out and I a MMOless and have been for a long time now but I could not do it.

However, I am still glad to see someone steering off the mainstream course. I wish DF well because it opens the market for more competition and I know that I and many friends are tired of cookie cutter, end game raid BS.

As I said, the new mmorpgs are mostly going with the themepark design.  Bringing up a 15 year old game doesn't prove any point.  If you have to reach back that far to find a game that you feel is more hardcore then DF, I think you proved MY point.  I never said DF was innovative or even that great of a game.  All I said was that it was trying to go in a different direction than the mainstream mmos are going and should get credit for doing so.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

For me DF equals epic fail. I have no desire for a ffapvp game and I hate first person view games. I don't even care if it is not always first person I loathe fps.

Originally posted by karat76

For me DF equals epic fail. I have no desire for a ffapvp game and I hate first person view games. I don't even care if it is not always first person I loathe fps.

Yes Darkfall isn't for everyone.  Good thing there are plenty of shallow instanced themeparks at your disposal.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Ruyn

Originally posted by karat76

Yes Darkfall isn't for everyone.  Good thing there are plenty of shallow instanced themeparks at your disposal.

While his post wasn't a gleaming gem of reasons detailing his problems with the game,  it certainly doesn't warrant the response.

On the same token I could make the case that DF is shallow, and as close to themepark as a game shooting for sandbox can get.

Just sayin ... I would refrain from insinuating themeparks are shallow. /shrug