Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play MMORPGS?

Comments

• SnakesSnakes Member Posts: 68

@pauldriver

It's quite alright.

I see you have given me an actual answer now - its also well put. Thanks for sharing.

• neosapienceneosapience Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by pojung

Originally posted by neosapience

Any multiplayer game that isn't a co-op is essentially PvP. Some people, like our troll friend here, use video games to try and compensate for a real life deficiency of some kind. Personally, I use multiplayer games as a tool for making friends and self improvement (oh, and for fun of course).

Short of purely trolling, browsing this post I felt inclined to comment.

Calling something white because it isn't black is not necessarily correct. Competition manifests itself in many varieties and depths.

Some people use video games to act out who they are in real life. The assumption that it is necessarily a compensation is ... both assumptive and ignorant. To the contrary, those who use this excuse are typically not wolves themselves, but wish they were, so try to devalue a potential wolf by painting them to be wanna-be's. Misery loves company.

Lastly, and your final sentence exposes the concept at play for everyone: fun. Yours might be via self improvement and making friends, someone else's might be to gank and grief as they are misanthropes IRL and that's their way of relating to a game and its mechanics.

Sorry for the late response, I wasn't expecting anyone to be confused by my post. First, let me say that you obviously don't study psychology, or you'd know that almost all people that develop a superiority complex do so from a real life deficiency of some kind. Role players may 'pretend' to be 'wolf' (as you call it), but they would never state the reason for them playing a video game to be purely for their desire to be superior. Thus, assuming the statement made by our troll friend is true, he is what I said he is.

You also don't seem to understand that competition is competition. The reasons for someone engaging in it are irrelevant to the terminology used to describe it. PvP is PvP, be it a harmless and friendly game of golf or a hardcore FPS competition with real life prizes.

Ultimately I can't understand why you'd be confused, nothing I said is that hard to understand.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Playing MMOs replaced my TV viewing.  I think I came out ahead.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

@pojung & neosapience

You two have brought an interesting perspective to the scene, and you are both making sense, each has points and are able to support their answers to an extent. Curious, I would like to see what other points you two come up with - but lets keep it under control please, don't want a full blown argument here.

@uquipu

You've replaced TV with an MMO - and you say, it was for the better. This is true, very true.

On Average youth spends aprox 22 hours per week on an MMORPG (More if they have excessive free time) whilest the average amount of TV watching is 27 hours per week. You've reduced your own time as it were uquipu, but you've been more productive - you'd have a tendency to learn something(s) while playing MMOs vs watching TV (Depending on the channel) and most of what you learn in an MMO can be transfered to the real world (except what spells do what, and what best item is used to defeat said boss) - such as leadership, social aspects, and more.

• KB24FanKB24Fan Member Posts: 13

PvP, content, exploring, leveling, and becoming a hero in MMO! enough said

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Trying to find one where I can experience that "Epic party" feel.  Wether against epic boss battles or extremely long and challenging party quests.  I get a kick out of the party dynamic in mmo's.

• Zook81Zook81 Member Posts: 96

I can either pay monthly to watch TV or to play MMOs. Not a hard choice

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972
    Originally posted by neosapience

Originally posted by Interesting

Power over others.

MMORPGs offer many ways of owning randoms, in real life the same feeling gets old fast, its no fun owning someone who is not competing, or when the goals/rules are different, wich is often the case.

In MMORPGs I get people to test my superiority consciously.

Interesting troll is uninteresting.

bump.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

lf for everquest 2010!basicly !my next online fix and if possible with world raid and avail at natianal chain of its p2p .

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

lf for everquest 2010!basicly !my next online fix and if possible with world raid and avail at natianal chain of its p2p .

You actually think it's going to come out in 2010?  Wouldn't hold your breath.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

everquest 2010 is just a random name it could be fury 2010 lol the idea is just this

lookin for a new game as interesting as everquest with world raid /pvp etc and avail at national store if its a pay to play game

hell i would play everquest if it was avail at the ebgame or walmart where i live gees

hell soe dont even sell time card in there anymore (online sale only)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

everquest 2010 is just a random name it could be fury 2010 lol the idea is just this

lookin for a new game as interesting as everquest with world raid /pvp etc and avail at national store if its a pay to play game

Oh, thought you were referring to the supposed EQ Next some refer to.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• YelloweeYellowee Member Posts: 3

I was at some point quite taken into MMORPG's and recently i rediscovered the pleasure of playing them... the last couple of days i've been playing a mmorpg called Lord of the rings like crazy...every spear minute i had i used to grow my character in the game.

They can be quite addictive, and now that i've tasted them again i'm afraid i'm gonna start playing World Of Warcraft again...and lose all time i have with it...again..

Originally posted by Yellowee

I was at some point quite taken into MMORPG's and recently i rediscovered the pleasure of playing them... the last couple of days i've been playing a mmorpg called Lord of the rings like crazy...every spear minute i had i used to grow my character in the game.

They can be quite addictive, and now that i've tasted them again i'm afraid i'm gonna start playing World Of Warcraft again...and lose all time i have with it...again..

cant say i have tried extensivly lotr i wait for dx11 to be on lotr since right now for me lotr is unplayable too much lag

dx11 will fix that from what i saw on youtube.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Well what drove me to this was the stories and the ability to create my own stories  as my character went on adventures in these virtual worlds.   Sorta like reading a book and following the character.  In an MMORPG my character is the main character and she allows me to play out a book in virtual form.  Nowadays thoughm the stories are all pre-written and you must follow them in order to get any where.   I mean it is cool and all, but it has lost something.    In the older games I would just travel and adventure and make up my story as I went along.  Sure their were quest I could do now and then if I so desired, but it wasn't required.   Just exploring and looking for treasure was good enough.    I now it was kinda archaic and there is so much more that can be done with these games now, it is just so said that their all going the way of theme parks.

It is sad that even a lot of the indie games are just not cutting it.   They are half-arsed done and are sold on promises that they cannot deliver and you end up getting a game that has 1/4 of the features that they promised and then a lot that the game has is broken and does not work.   ::cough:: MO - DF ::cough::  

Some day a group of people will come together with like minds and make a good MMORPG again...the way the old Turbine crew created Asheron's Call.   That was truly a good MMORPG for it's time.   We need that kind of team to come together and make a new game for this day that was as innovative and massive as that game was during it's time.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Illius

Originally posted by pauldriver

I play it for the chicks.

Well... at least you're honest.  I, too would like to change my answer to this.

Figures...this I can see Illius saying.  :)

Well!

I found myself renewed - I had thought the thread had dissolved away in the shuffle and thus was forgotten about. However, someone once took it upon themself to post that simple, sometimes annoying post... 'bump' ... one more to said person's post count, but the thread is rebooted and for this - I am pleased and I am estatic.

To all who have posted with the renewed image... Thanks.

I look forward to additional posts.

I hate to bump this, but I believe there is more answers out there.

Please share your ideas.

• GhostSeverGhostSever Member Posts: 23

1. Playing in a ever-changing world

2. Social aspect

3. Depth of character customization and progression.

4 Discovery

5. Roleplaying

6. Excel Spreadsheets

7. Impure Adhesive

8. The Cure

I am.......... from HISTORY!!!!!

Playing: Fallen Earth
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2 and Secret World

"Whats a Canadian? He's like an American, but he doesn't use alot of dangerous adjectives"

"Part of loving a woman is accepting Sting"

"They never find a dead person on Antique Road Show"

"Isn't Unix made by fat people?"

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Money reason. 

I am playing online game just to save money, otherwise, I would buy too many PC single games as well PS3 or X360, however, there are still many good single titles worthy to play. Currently am expecting Civilization 5.

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

if i figure it out ill let my wife know first.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

I play because I'm fat and can't interact with people socially in real life. I hide behind my computer screen and become a handsome warrior that can save the world for 18 hours per day whilst stuffing cheezy poofs into my fat face with my fat fingers and masturbating 20 times per day.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by metalhead980

I ask myself this question.
    As todays MMOs move further and further away from what they originally were I find myself playing Single player Rpgs more and more.
    I can tell you why I played Older games though or what originally got me into the genre.
    I liked the large open ended worlds that gave me enough freedom to feel like I was playing a Fantasy/sci-fi  life simulator.
    A game that finally took me away from the D&D tabletops.
    The tight knit communities that actually Played together where RP was the most important thing in Game other than bashing someones skull and stealing their loot or working together in massive raids killing enormous monsters.
    But those days are gone my friend today I play Eve because in my mind it feels like the only game that truely is a Sci-fi life simulation.
    Communities are what MMOs are about to me, not instances and queues. If a community doesn't play a role in my MMO it isnt one.

In short, Communities that effect the game world is the reason I started and try to continue playing MMOs.

This 100%.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

For me, it encompasses alot of what has been said already. But it mainly comes down to this:

When I was a kid, I played with action figures. A lot. The coolest part of having those figures was finding interesting places to make their environment for the day. I.E. sandboxes. Not just sandboxes though(in which you can make your own roads, buildings etc. with judicially placed water and buckets) but also areas under stairs, decks, bunk beds, you name it. Each of these every day places became vast worlds for my characters to explore and battle within.

Today's MMORPGS, the good ones, capture this feeling from my youth. That's why I play them and why I am so picky about what each game out there offers.

On a side note, adding other people(community) to the mix IS just as important. That now one man sandbox suddenly has other minds in there playing their characters and my fun and imagination suddenly doubles. So on and so on as more people are added. If there are a bunch of bullies in the sandbox, I get out and there ends my fun for the day. So community size and type is very important these days, even though I'm not very good at making friends, at least the opportunity is there and I can hear other voices while in that sandbox. Loneliness sucks ;D

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Mainly I guess since I like RPGs and I like playing with friends so I play MMOs to play RPGs with friends.  I don't care about other players so much, only to the point that they make the game more interesting, I always was more interested in the multiplayer part rather than the massive part.

Other than that I really like making a character and running around a world doing whatever, but I guess you can do that in non-MMOs as well.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit