Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play MMORPGS?

Comments

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I was addicted to Diablo II in High School. I played it for a while but eventually grew out of it and dabbled in a few stand alone games for a little while but nothing really got my attention. My brother enlisted in the Marines and was exposed to MMOs during his first tour--namely AO. He mentioned this game to me and I saw it as a great opportunity to not only communicate with him but to also fill that void which had existed since my Diablo II days. We played it for a few months but he eventually grew out of it and I soon followed.

I knew about EQ, DAoC and UO before I started playing AO but I never really got into them because I didn't see the draw. But once I got a taste with AO I was hooked. So I went out and looked for an MMO community and stumbled upon MMORPG.com. It was and remains a great find. The sheer number of MMOs was staggering at the time and I wanted to play a little bit of everything. I couldn't decide which one to choose until, one day, I was scrolling the games list on this site and saw Star Wars: Galaxies! Oh my! My Geek sense was going off like a fire alarm and my mind was racing with possibilites! I instantly went to the home page and read up on the game. It was simply amazing! The only problem I had was I didn't know anyone who would be playing the game. This is when I took a little time away from the speculations on the forums and started looking for a guild. I stumbled upon the Independent Trade and Exploration Coalition (ITEC). They were a group of mature players and I just loved the "feel" of them. I submitted an application and was accepted into the ranks. This is when I truly understood what it ment to be in a community of gamers who shared of passion for the very same things I did. See, I was a closet geek in High School. I played football and baseball but I couldn't very well sit down with the geeks and discuss the inner working of the Star Destroyer, or discuss the pros and cons of being a purely logical Vulcan. My jock ego woldn't allow that (stupid teenager views).

We discussed our play style and how we would concentrate all our efforts on being one of, if not the, first guild to build a PA hall in game. Hell I even took on a position as the Recruiting Officer within the guild because I wanted us to succeed (the mistakes I made while in this position helped me grow as a person). We eventually got in game and were one of the top three guilds to build a PA hall in the entire game. We even had a resource, I believe it was a gas, with our initials--ITEC. Doubt this was intentional but we still took notice.

Anyway. With all things it eventually came to an end. People had real life issues which demanded their attention, they got burned out on the game, the Developers absolutely bent us over the table and changed everything on us. Abolutely everything! So we vanished from the game and with the server closures our once proud city and all we were are gone forever (Tarquanis). Oh well. $*#% SOE.

Right now we only really interact thru our private forums. We haven't had a game to rally behind but many members are hoping the new Star Wars game will be that rally point. I'm personally not holding out hope.

Went off on a bit of a rant but I would say the community is what keeps me playing MMOs and right now I haven't found a great group to play with so I don't subscribe to MMOs. The game could have the absolute worst game mechanics, could have the worst graphics, could be the biggest grind fest in the world and none of that would matter to me if I played with a great group of people.

So right now I just play online FPS games with my friends back in the states and satisfy my RPG cravings with Fallout II, Dragon Age, Folklore, FFVII and the like. I just can't seem to find a MMO which combines both elements of community and RPG.

I WANT TO GIVE YOU MMO COMPANIES MY MONEY BUT YOU CANT SEEM TO GIVE ME A REASON TO!!!

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Why do I play MMO's?  Well to be quite honest.. it's an escape..

I can choose who I want to be apart from the real world drudgeries..

I can be an explorer, I can be evil.. I can be nice... I can destroy the innocent or punish the wicked, I can be whatever I'm in the mood for or whoever I choose to be.

I can create a character for every different mood I'm in and have (sometimes)  like minded people play along with me and have fun doing so..

Stress relief in PvP, a sense of accomplishment in long chain quests  and  community in just sitting around and chatting/meeting new people.

I dont play to be the best, to pwn noobs or whatever.. I play to enjoy myself.. I _pay_ to enjoy myself..  If I want a challenge.. I'll live life.. I play MMO's for fun.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

When I first started playing PC games I was a FPS junkie. My first serious game was Tribes, I loved the mods and the non stop action. Then I started playing Medal of Honor and that was where I met my first real internet friends. We formed a clan and some of us are still friends today. I played FPS'ers always wondering what the attraction to games like Everquest was but other than reading about it I never really gave it a try. Then Star Wars Galaxies came out and the wondering was over, so was the attraction to FPS'ers.

For me the attraction to MMO's I have is because I find they have a lot of meat and potatoes to them. Theres more than just some linear map to explore for 10 minutes or so then on the the next one, there's a whole world to explore and in the case of SWG worlds. Then theres the whole thing of building your character up. Choose a class and go master it. All the teamwork was awesome. You could kill something and find something you, or your buddies could use on the corpse, which led to go kill another to see what it has. Which led to go kill another wait, what was that, I leveled?!?! Awesome!!! Now go kill hundreds more to level again and again.

Somewhere along the line playing in groups kinda fell by the wayside though. Especially when you have to work and when you got home your leveling buddies didn't wait for you and went ahead and did the tough missions while you weren't there and now are on to the next tough ones while you struggle to find someone else who has to do that mission to try to complete it with. So now I look for MMO's that are solo friendly but also have enough group content that you need to have friends to be able to play with. I love being in a guild, even if I don't use them to their potential I know there's someone there to chat with, ask for help from or I can help out.

I'm rambling so in a nutshell, I guess the best answer is it that there are too many reasons to be able to list them all as to why I play a MMO.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

The following is my own opinion.  I play MMO's because:

1)  MMO's are the next step on from multiplayer games.  And in the end all games are a form of escapism from our own lives.

2)  MMO's have more choice in activitites and freedom thatn single player games.

3)  MMO's feel more "alive" with other players running around in them than single player games do.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I play MMO's so I don't have to play with myself.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by chrisel

I play MMO's so I don't have to play with myself.

I thought most people played with themselves WHILE playing MMOs?

I play them for entertainment. That, and pwning n00bs y0.

Lately though there haven't been any decent MMOs at all, free or pay. Hopefully the upcoming ones (ie the old republic, all points bulletin) can remedy this. I've been reduced to playing a lot of Modern Warfare 2.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Because it's the only form in which you can play anything resembling an RPG with friends anymore. As soon as MMOs showed themselves profitable, multiplayer RPGs disappeared for some reason, whilst FPS and RTS multiplayer functionality continued progressing.

I hope that multiplayer RPGs make a comeback, perhaps via BioWare or Bethesda, but I'm not holding my breath now that BioWare has an MMO and Dragon Age has been oft-heralded with the words, 'Finally, a single-player RPG!' as if that's not all there's been for bloody ever. Not that I don't adore Dragon Age.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Saerain

Because it's the only form in which you can play anything resembling an RPG with friends anymore. As soon as MMOs showed themselves profitable, multiplayer RPGs disappeared for some reason, whilst FPS and RTS multiplayer functionality continued progressing.

Multiplayer RPGs were supplanted by MMORPGs because, with MMORPGs, you not only get box sales for both the initial product and its expansions, but also hundreds of thousands (or millions) of customers paying a monthly fee. Yes, it takes manpower and resources to maintain and develop an MMORPG over time, but the subscriptions pay for that and also turn a profit.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited February 2016

This message was edited on 8/16/15 at 5:30:00 AM

Post edited by J_Hurry on
    LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I play to have a good time and to waste time, nothing more.  If I can find a game that's entertaining and keeps me occupied during my free time, I'm happy.  I don't give a damn about progression, I don't  care about gear, I couldn't care less about roleplaying, competition with others or reaching end-game.

Unfortunately, most MMOs just aren't fun anymore.  They almost all have horrible communities filled with immature people who only care about themselves, which is why I've stopped playing them.  It's more fun to play a single-player FPS than it is to sit in a game and deal with a crapload of asshats.

That's really sad, but these days it's true.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• SnakesSnakes Member Posts: 68

@Yoottos'Horg & Sanguinelust:

Haha, quite alright you two - rambling is fun, I enjoyed reading them. You need not worry when you ramble on. =)

@Yoottos'Horg:

I understand exactly what you're saying, I can even relate to it. I was into Diablo I and then later Diablo II - my brothers played it and it looked interesting, not to mention several of my friends did to. (And from there I played StarCraft haha) I remember being pulled into it, hacking and slashing away at the monsters, that constant click of the left mouse as I held down shift to slash like a maniac. Slaying the Butcher, getting awesome gear and eventually heading into Hell and slaying Diablo himself. Ahh.. good times. The first MMORPG I believe I was expose to was Asheron's Call - a friend of mine played it, I didn't get it - but oh well. I eventually got pulled into the concept of Role-play, and I think the first MMORPG I actually played was NexusTK, and eventually I branched off into Anarchy Online, EverQuest II (not 1 but 2), Star Wars Galaxies (which was epic at the time), World of Warcraft, and many others that I took part in as Beta - one of my favorite space RPs was Earth & Beyond, I was saddened when they shut it down. (I also got involved with EVE Online), ahh the memories.

Like yourself, I was considered a geek amongest High School, and I tried to fit in - didn't work. I did however evolve into a Drama Geek/Nerd - I mean I was always into Drama, but it grew stronger in High School - as such I retreated to the Drama Room with several other Dramatic Arts students, we all shared the same interests... at times we'd find ourself talking about music, movies, people, stupid random crap (example: If you were cloned, you could feel all the pleasure - would you have sex with your exact clone?), Roleplaying, Sci-Fi feels, you name it we talked about it. We all thought 'Outside the box' as it were. It was through this group that I become more intergrated into Role-play, I would eventually embark on Pen and Papers such as Vampire and Marvel Superheroes. Eventually I would expand into text/forum based RPs, I truly became a RP nerd and I never had a problem with it. This is why I liked key aspects of RP in my MMOs - after all it is a Massive Multiplayer Online ROLEPLAYING Game.

I became part of good groups in my MMOs (such as guilds) but unfortuntly, I haven't spoken with many of my RP Buddies since, we came and we'd go. It's almost sad. Eventually I bet I (and yourself) will locate a good MMORPG that is everything we'd hope for, and once again - get involved.

@Sanguinelust:

I couldn't agree more on what you've said - there's more the an MMORPG then there is to a traditional game. But they both have their merits and flaws - in my own opinion. And to keep getting that motivation, 'Sweet I leveled' or 'Okay, so I want to get that ability so I need to do this to get that.' Setting goals, for most it is a thrill to achieve goals. And I agree a great deal regarding the 'too many to list'.

@Aevenath:

Haha, pwning noobs 'yo' - we're gangsta!

@acidworm:

Self-Confidence. Always good!

@Cephus404

You and I think alike when it comes down to 'What's my level' or 'Who's got the best gear' and so on. All of that is nice, but I don't think its core. Others would disagree and that's okay.

So then....

That's it? That's all? No further comments?

Not a worry - thanks for your comments.

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Originally posted by Saerain

Multiplayer RPGs were supplanted by MMORPGs because, with MMORPGs, you not only get box sales for both the initial product and its expansions, but also hundreds of thousands (or millions) of customers paying a monthly fee. Yes, it takes manpower and resources to maintain and develop an MMORPG over time, but the subscriptions pay for that and also turn a profit.

I would like to echo this sentiment and add to it. I believe if I were a developer at least also, that I would be more passionate about an MMORPG. It's a much longer-term investment (more like a marriage rather than dating a girlfriend) between the developers and playerbase due to having that subscription model. I just hope the developers start thinking about focusing their games to a niche these days but I'm guessing that time will eventually come.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I've always liked the tabletop Dungeons & Dragons games. Though I rarely got to play them with anyone, I've read all the rulebooks and used to make characters and do solo encounters with them. Once EQ was released, it was very much like playing D&D over the internet, so I've been hooked ever since.

People talk alot about bad communities and "asshats" but that's all part of the fun for me. I'm not a huge fan of drama, but I like to play my role, and I guess I'm just more tolerant than most. A lot of those "asshats" are just young people that don't know any better. I was probably the exact same way when I was 17. I usually give them a pass.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Why do you play MMORPGS?

Because of the Rules

Generation P

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

To participate in a virtual world with a community and an in-game economy with depth. To help influence that world with my actions and participation by myself and by working with others.

Though it seems I'm still waiting for another MMO to come along to actually provide these things again, since the last MMO that had these things sputtered out an died when SoE thought it was a good idea to make a "new game experience".

I see that people have posted after myself. This is excellent, the thread is not dead. I know what I have asked is not really a simple question as there are many factors to consider in making your choices, you think about it. I believe by this thread, everyone has different opinions and I will not lie - I enjoy reading them all. I have replied/commented to some but not all - but I have read them all. There is so much that goes into bringing us to the genre. This thread is not dead, and I hope it won't die anytime soon.

In my time, I always found myself straying away from MMORPGs because I lost the thrill, the novelty, the feeling - or I'd quit when it was no longer fun adventures. As a role-player, I don't mind drama, I don't mind plots thickening, I don't mind any of that. As time would go on in some situation, the problem would be to realistic and was causing grief for myself and potentially others. It strayed from the concept of a game, I played games simply because it was something to indulge in, something to escape reality, while I look some realism in a game I don't want the headaches. Yes, I'm paying my monthly sub and I'm paying it to have FUN not be griefed it was around this time I would take my leave (and many understood it). Sometimes I would take my leave and wanted it to be for good but for some reason the game always drags me back in, if only for a short time. (I wouldn't really say I'm addicted, they were just a thrill. Strange urges to play certain game, see how the game changed since I left, catch up with old friends (if only for short time) and all that - I would return to them after 6months - 1 year was common, sometimes it was a couple years.)

Moving forward:

@Jairoe:

You speak true. MMORPGs are indeed very profitable, both from subs and from box sales - the bills are easily payed when you've got thousands upon thousands and then its sure profit. But to create an MMO it does require time and large sums of money - which is why many companies haven't embraced the concept. Once an MMO begins to enter development it does require a dedicated staff 24 hours a day / 7 days a week / 365 days a year to keep that game going. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with not all companies embracing it - the gaming world would certainly suck if everything was an MMO and there was zero singleplayer or multiplayer games coming our way.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Snakes

@Cephus404

You and I think alike when it comes down to 'What's my level' or 'Who's got the best gear' and so on. All of that is nice, but I don't think its core. Others would disagree and that's okay.

MMOs started, at least to some degree, as a giant dick-waving contest by people who were too immature to be able to stand on their own two feet.  For those of us who are comfortable with the size of our metaphorical dicks, we've got no need to go out and flash them around and try to make people jealous.  That's exactly what I feel about gear, what difference does it make?  If it helps you play the game better, fine.  If it's all flash and no substance, only there to show off, it's the sign of an immature mind.

I'm really tired of playing with immature minds.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

honestly its the cheapest form of entertainment around by far. i deffinitly don't have the fun playing mmos like i use to, but still an enjoyable way to pass the time when i'm bored. got into mmos years ago when i played PSO noticed i got ALOT more for my money from them. prior to that i would buy a new game have it beat within a week tops, trade it in and buy a new one. was getting expensive buying a new game every week only getting like maybe $14 back from the trade-ins. so even if i buy one of these new mmos that turn out to suck they do usually last long enough to be cheaper than me buying new console game every week.

• pauldriverpauldriver Member Posts: 198

I play it for the chicks.

Jam is sticky.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by pauldriver

Well... at least you're honest.  I, too would like to change my answer to this.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Hermes_ZumHermes_Zum Member Posts: 38

I honestly did not play because of the chicks. I play because of stress, an escape to another world where I can create something of mine, and live in a better "virtual" world, the reason why I not choose games mainly PvP. But still expecting a great game, certain genial,  that fully takes hold of me and complement me, I thought it was the LOTRO, but they blew it (not go into details, played 2 years and still miss something brilliant)... I will be watchful to new developments and releases of existing games, as I have seen, mostly, or "all" if I look carefully, sometimes will not even know who broached the idea, they are copies of copies of what already exists, nothing brilliant to snatch the players and the release of real life and stress, some are even stress than real life, as I said, nothing really genial, and when they are close, the logistics support spoils everything.

Like as always said, enjoy the game much as you can, when you are disappointed, pause and try again ...

It certainly seems that every time I post - there's two to four or even more. Every post is fun. As I have suspected, everyone has different opinions and ideas and many are the same each aspect is defiantly important. Its been grand.

@Cephus404

Once again - couldn't agree with you anymore.

@pauldriver & Illius

The chicks 'eh? Very brave of you. Considering there's not many girls who play - its mainly guys who are female toons, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, some are just hard to locate.... gamer chicks always have the most fun (or at least in my experience)

@Illius

No. It's absolutely impossible... but I can add it to your answer.

@abyss610

A $14 trade in... that sounds about right. Now add $0.99 or $0 .95 and you've got yourself a MMO Monthly subscription fee.

•  for me its the adrenaline rush and meeting cool new people. 

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Originally posted by pauldriver

This.

I'm kidding. I play MMOs because it's live. Things change, update, etc. I get to somewhat customise my avatar instead of playing a pre-made one. I get to play with other human beings who aren't as predictable as AI is. It's the over all experience of  live interaction.

Fortune favours the bold.