Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Dragon Age Sex Controversy Examined

Comments

• asj18asj18 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Originally posted by SioBabble

Originally posted by asj18

Oh my god,  get the hell over it media. the game is not aired toward little children it is aired toward the adult thus LABELED M FOR MATURE. when u log onto the site it ask for your birth date.
    Another lesson as a parent if a game says mature do not buy it for your little ones. hello i have 4 children. I played the game would i let my children play the game probably not if there not near the age that they fully understand what there seeing.
    but the news needs to do there real job examine real life not  a fantasy one.
    and again the romance in bioware's games are OPTIONAL in other words you can avoid it if you want to
    OHH AND COME ON MEDIA IS A FKIN GAME

I LOVE BIOWARE'S GAME FROM KOTOR-DRAGON AGE WOOT GO BIOWARE

You would be correct if we lived in a world/country where parenting was left up to the parents. But parenting is another aspect of our lives that the government has decided to take control of.

When you have people demonstrating superb parenting skills, like for example Sarah Palin, someone has to be the mommy.

You are right, I sometimes forget that some people feel the need for the U.S. government to tell them what to do and when to do it. As fro your Palin remark, the only problem i have with her is Im afraid she will run as an independent and split the conservative vote which will in turn  allow another 4 yrs of government takeovers and intrusion.  But as I said, some people need the government to care for them, I am just not one of those.

Sorry i am not one of those ignorant fools that will be led around by the government. I go off my own beliefs of what is right or wrong. I may take advice from the government but it is my choice to listen or turn my head.

Games I will be playing are: TES V, SWTOR, ME 3, TSW

i agree with you

Oh geez! Adult gamers have an adult game to play. The world is lost!

I haven't played this game, but I'm glad at least a few games are made for adults. Is it really so bad to have some games taliored to people that are out of high school?

I think it's kinda sad that this is even a controversy.

Originally posted by asj18

i agree with you

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by AlienShirt

For all those ok with the homosexual scenes in the game would you still be ok if it had scenes of pedophilia?  Both are examples of sexuality outside the "norm". I am just curious.

Because it exists makes it all within the "norm". Whether it becomes or is acceptable behavior within realm of our "society" is something else.

Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.  That seemed to be acceptable.  Homosexuality in fifth and fourth-century Athens,  was integral part of social life.

"Homosexual". It looks like an ancient Greek expression, but word and concept are modern inventions: the expression was coined in 1869 by the Hungarian physician Karoly Maria Benkert (1824-1882). It took several decades for the word to become current. In ancient Greece, there never was a word to describe homosexual practices: they were simply part of aphrodisia, love, which included men and women alike.

However, you trying to equate homosexuality with pedophilia  is  like comparing apples to oranges.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

I boinked Zevran and I'm proud of it. There, I said it.

• Rampage9799Rampage9799 Member UncommonPosts: 35

I say this topic goes over 1000 responces

BioWare just got the Mega publicity for this game they need to make tons of cash on.

Just wait there will soon be a MMO that is only based on sexual activity.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

I like how violence gets bemoaned, sometimes.

But something intimate and kind, get's berated.

If these were rape scenes, then the discussion would be solely on context alone.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• MushroomusMushroomus Member Posts: 70

okay who the F*** is mad about LESBIANS? lesbians are the best

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94

lawl ... well it's single player so you only get to see what you want to see. 

Anyone complaining about something is whining about a match they themselves made, i.e. self-inflicted

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by TdogSkal

For all those ok with the homosexual scenes in the game would you still be ok if it had scenes of pedophilia, coprophilia. or necrophilia?  All are examples of sexuality outside the "norm". I am just curious.

Lol Coprophillia, necrophillia and pedophilia are not even in the same realm of homosexually.

Seriously you need to grow up. 

Alright maybe I went a bit far including coprophillia and necrophillia (which I will go back and edit out) but not so with pedophilia. In one someone is sexually attracted to the member of the same sex and the other someone is sexually attracted to prepubescent children. I was asking a serious question of how far are people ok with games going these days. Would people still be okay if the game had featured the same human male having sex with a 12 year olf elf girl? Or whatever.

Sure it would be because this game is actually set in the middle ages aka the medieval era in which men and women did not live long therefore they started families and got married at young ages. It was not uncommon during that time for children to be having sex and getting married and starting families.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

How about sex with your mount? A male elf with his male horse just to keep it interesting. I mean if we are to include children in the mix im sure horses would be acceptable as well.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

How about sex with your mount? A male elf with his male horse just to keep it interesting. I mean if we are to include children in the mix im sure horses would be acceptable as well.

This is starting to turn absolutely ridiculous.

There is a major difference with sex between two consenting adults compared to Pedophilia and Beastiliaty. It's amazing the lengths people will go to try and prove a dead end point.

Originally posted by greed0104

This is starting to turn absolutely ridiculous.

There is a major difference with sex between two consenting adults compared to Pedophilia and Beastiliaty. It's amazing the lengths people will go to try and prove a dead end point.

Its good to see someone at least got my point.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Soldiers raping and killing brown people = good.

Polygons having sex scenes totally avoidable by players = bad.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• RakaraiRakarai Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by eburn

Soldiers raping and killing brown people = good.
    Polygons having sex scenes totally avoidable by players = bad.

Your so silly, everyone knows violence is acceptable.

• Overlord-666Overlord-666 Member Posts: 18

Everyone knows that certain people are allowed to do what they well damn please. And also those certain people say that video games ruin lives. All BS and i just tend to ignore those certain people.

No hints towards certain people in my reply :o

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971

I don’t think the idea about sex with a horse is so absurd. If DA was made ten years ago do you think it would have all this sex in it no matter of what type? So in ten years time what will the new sex be that they put in it be to juice it up?

How about shagging an Ogress, but hey that’s a bit lame as she is a humanoid woman. Surely we can be getting are end away with a Centaur Ogre of both sexes in thirty years time?

The argument that it won’t happen, put in the context of historical trends is a false one. Indeed the argument anything can and will happen is the far more likely one. Games/books/TV/films are all in a titillation arms race where shocking consumers gets them air time and making the sex as diverse as possible engages every possible consumer demographic.

So get ready to saddle up cowboys and girls! :)

• KiskaraKiskara Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Scot

I don’t think the idea about sex with a horse is so absurd. If DA was made ten years ago do you think it would have all this sex in it no matter of what type? So in ten years time what will the new sex be that they put in it be to juice it up?
    How about shagging an Ogress, but hey that’s a bit lame as she is a humanoid woman. Surely we can be getting are end away with a Centaur Ogre of both sexes in thirty years time?
    The argument that it won’t happen, put in the context of historical trends is a false one. Indeed the argument anything can and will happen is the far more likely one. Games/books/TV/films are all in a titillation arms race where shocking consumers gets them air time and making the sex as diverse as possible engages every possible consumer demographic.

Using that argument, people shouldn't get angry of crimes because one day society could change and that specific criminal act would be a-ok.

But, once again, the (albeit more subtle) comparison of homosexuality to beastiality works against your argument. One is an act between to consenting adults, while one is involves a partner that is unable to give informed consent. They aren't the same things, and the notion that they are just paints the individual making that claim as either ignorant, or hateful. 

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

I don’t think the idea about sex with a horse is so absurd.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Kiskara

Using that argument, people shouldn't get angry of crimes because one day society could change and that specific criminal act would be a-ok.

But, once again, the (albeit more subtle) comparison of homosexuality to beastiality works against your argument. One is an act between to consenting adults, while one is involves a partner that is unable to give informed consent. They aren't the same things, and the notion that they are just paints the individual making that claim as either ignorant, or hateful. 

Can Scot or any other poster explain me, what is the difference between a heterosexual intercourse with a protection, masturbation and a homosexual sex? None of these is reproductive. 99.99% of all sexual activities is not reproductive. It's ease to assume, sex (and sexual attraction) has far more "functions" that just the reproduction.

Sex with a horse, pedophilia... is ridiculous to compare. It's a rape one way or another.

REALITY CHECK

Real men have sex with dragons.......female dragons.

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

Actually it has been said that in Dragon Age: Origins all the dragons are females and the Drakes are males...because if you think about it...all those dragons you do meet (including the archdemon) are females.

Originally posted by Pryetta

Actually it has been said that in Dragon Age: Origins all the dragons are females and the Drakes are males...because if you think about it...all those dragons you do meet (including the archdemon) are females.

Ok I will use a different sword on the Drakes then.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297
    Originally posted by Baggs

Lets get some facts straight.

Dragon Age is a roleplaying video game.
    The world of Dragon Age is a 3D fantasy world rendered by a computer component.
    The characters of Dragon Age are also 3D replicas rendered by a graphics card.
    The game has an M rating, which stands for Mature.

Therefore, any sexual content shown is practically a role, played by the fictional 3D character controlled by a mature person, in a 3D fantasy world rendered by the graphics card of your computer.

This game, or any game for that matter won't make your kid become a homo or a lesbian.
    For starters, your kid shouldn't be playing the game in the 1st place.
    And to put the last nail on this silly discussion's coffin, your kid shouldn't be exposed to real life if you don't want it to do "bad" things.
    Real life is where the problem lies in, video games are a form of entertainment and they don't force people or kids to do things they normally wouldn't.
    TV,Internet,Movies and even a walk to the park are way worse than a video game when it comes to "exposure to things like homosexuality".

This reminds me of the non-sense about GTA-IV.
    Remember how Nico Belic was supposed to turn teenagers evil and arm them with AK 47s and force them to drive their Porche into oncoming traffic?
    Yeah, i'm still laughing too.

Well said I must say. 

Why are people getting upset with this?  Good grief we been seeing trailers for DAO with Morrigan in virtually every one pretty much "getting it on" with the player.  Bioware been pushing the sex angle in this game HARD (no pun intended) even to the point of showing it off in the demo of the game.   Yes, not the combat, but the fact you can bang Morrigan.  Then people get all upset when ... there is sex depicted in the game.  Ooookaayyyy.

Couse as I said before, the scene is rather tame compared to Mass Effect's.  Not that ME's was that racy to begin with either.

• kysarykysary Member Posts: 7

I found the Maximum, very innovative this system of relationships in the game, depending on the skill you I can move.