Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Exclusive Interview

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

I agree with there being way to many skills, but I hope that doesn't mean they will be dumbing down the combat with standard MMO system. The skill build is what set teh game apart. I'm really concerned.

They have made it pretty clear that it is all about the # of skills, they have mentioned a few times now how out of hand the amount of skills has gotten and how they are unhappy with that.  There might be some changes with the combat system but I don't think they are going to dumb it down anymore aside from removing some skills.  Hoping for the 8-skill only bar though!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• ekspertseksperts Member Posts: 49

less complex combat system with fewer overall skills

That's good, many skills in GW1 duplicate each other, was ok in prophecies, but go into buildwars finaly.

multiple playable races

Nice, I don't bother about other races, but I know many players do.

separate world servers

Ups... fail! Why do step back? One of unique GW feature lost.

Still not anything about game economy, market and crafting.

Thanks for interview!

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by eksperts

separate world servers
    Thanks for interview!

Not really to be honest, at least if you compare it to GW1's instanced nature. You can't really lose something you never fully had, right? And besides, since it's gonna formulate into World vs World conforntation... well, that's gonna be interesting.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • VrmithraxVrmithrax Member UncommonPosts: 17

separate world servers
    Thanks for interview!

I could take this one of 1 of 3 ways, 2 of which aren't a fail (provided there are global chat and connectivity devices in place) and one of which might suck.

If they mean separate world servers by real life geographical locales, then it's no different than the districts they currently have, just separated on different servers for speed and efficiency.  You can stick with a server that suits your native language, if nothing else.

If they mean separate world servers according to in-game geography, again no big deal so long as you can go from one server to the next.  Consider in Prophecies, how the different game module areas (Factions, Nightfall, Prophecies) are separated by the need to go to a specific place and "travel" by boat or through a gate.  Different geographical areas could be separated on different servers very easily, as long as there was a way to transition between those zones/servers.

If they mean separate servers as in different shards that you have to log into at startup, and you are stuck with the population within that shard, then it would suck.  If your character is stuck in a less popular server, and you find a group you like in another server, you are often hosed and either have to stay where you were, or start over in the new server.  One of the things that's annoying in other MMOs (like City of Heroes), and I'd hate to see it happen with GW2.

Sig? I don't need no stinking sig!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Methos12

separate world servers
    Thanks for interview!

Not really to be honest, at least if you compare it to GW1's instanced nature. You can't really lose something you never fully had, right? And besides, since it's gonna formulate into World vs World conforntation... well, that's gonna be interesting.

In GW1 you can meet up with any player. No need to roll a new toon on a different server for that. That GW uses instances is besides the point.

But maybe the world vs world pvp in GW 2 (server vs server) makes up for that.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by Methos12

separate world servers
    Thanks for interview!

In GW1 you can meet up with any player. No need to roll a new toon on a different server for that. That GW uses instances is besides the point.

But maybe the world vs world pvp in GW 2 (server vs server) makes up for that.

They already confirmed a while ago that server changing will be almost as easy as switching districts

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

Less complex with less skills.....sigh...let's hope another beloved game series isn't fucked up to cater to the masses.  As stated earlier the large amount of team combinations is what made the game unique and fun.  It's the team combination, which is made with varieties of skills, that made the game good.

Hopefully the World PvP aspect won't destroy what made GW the amazing game it once was (before expansions :P ) which was GUILDS (team combinations basically :P )!  Team combinations are what makes it good.  I imagine Guild Wars PvP with just me not in a group fighting, and I foresee great boredom.

• ekspertseksperts Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Kwintpod
    They already confirmed a while ago that server changing will be almost as easy as switching districts

I hope so. Maybe I just misunderstood about servers. BTW, I 100% agree Vrmithrax post. 

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Sounds great! Can't wait for it.

• DaX.9DaX.9 Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by WesKhan1

Less complex with less skills.....sigh...let's hope another beloved game series isn't fucked up to cater to the masses.  As stated earlier the large amount of team combinations is what made the game unique and fun.  It's the team combination, which is made with varieties of skills, that made the game good.

Why do I feel like this also?

• 3nimac3nimac Member UncommonPosts: 63

Interesting thing with different alignments and personal character stories.

Although, how is this going to affect group gameplay?  When a group made up of a Canthan Human, a Krytan Human and an Iron Charr  plays a (story) mission together, how is that one mission going to affect every one of them differently? My conclusion is that the character stories are either going to be solo missions and quests (solo is boring!!), or missions will be 'directed' by the party leader (similar to how in GW1 the party leader is the one who appears in cutscenes), thus the leader getting character progress while others aren't and may have to repeat it with the same character.

Am i missing something?

And the armor thing sounds... different. I really liked the armor system in GW1, in conjunction with the skill system it worked great to differentiate the game, and it was very good. I hope it does not turn out to be a system similar to WoW / WAR / Aion / EQ2 / ...

My concerns. Other than that, sounds great and i cant wait for more info!

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by DaX.9

Originally posted by WesKhan1

Why do I feel like this also?

most skill decks weren't worth using. Even with all the skills in the original each class had 2 builds that were good the rest were all subpar.

• DaX.9DaX.9 Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

most skill decks weren't worth using. Even with all the skills in the original each class had 2 builds that were good the rest were all subpar.

I disagree, some on first look tottaly useless skill combined with another skill from another proffession could be devastating. And I really liked tons of skill, it kept me occupied and maked me want to experiment.

But than again I do not do PvP, just PvE maybe for PvP you have only 2 good builds, who knows, time will tell, time will tell.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

I am interested in GW2 but somewhat ... uneasy ... about the game the more I hear about it.

In my opinion, ArenaNet is removing the single best feature of the original game, the Heroes and henchmen, who made GW1 so fun and so readily accessible to those of us who hate -- ABSOLUTELY HATE -- spending precious playing time spamming LFG channels.

The guy's description of the game made it sound like GW2 is going to be a whole lot more like WoW, LotRO, EQ, and the rest of the standard MMO herd. What a shame.

The beauty of GW1 is that it could be played essentially as a single-player game that ALSO offered players the option of grouping with one or two or more friends -- if and when they felt like it.

Sigh. Losing that accessibility really takes a lot of the "shine" off of this game for me. :(

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

tmr819
    theres going to be a companion system which will enable soloing
    they describe to be like the one used for CoX
    ANET knows that there are players who likes playing solo
    they promise to provide that
    there will be more info on this next year

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• 3nimac3nimac Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by illyana

tmr819

theres going to be a companion system which will enable soloing

they describe to be like the one used for CoX

Those are two different things. But yes, there will be a companion system similar to heroes, and a sidekick system for players of different levels to play together.

• WispyWispy Member UncommonPosts: 51

I expect a visually beautiful and very playable game here...my question is, are they going to have somebody who can actually write dialogue?

I eventually had to stop playing GW1 because the writing (and the voice performances) made my brain bleed.  The average Uwe Boll movie sparkles by comparison.  Is that shortcoming going to be addressed at all in the sequel?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

If people are incapable of reading between the lines,this sounds more like excuses for doing a poor job.

I was left with this exact same impression of FFXIV,removing lots of things from the game,just because you are putting a little more effort into another area,is a fail.This is exactly why AION only had 2 playable races,they are too dam cheap and lazy to make a proper game with several races,GW2 is going the other route offering more races but removing content to make up for the lost time.

Honestly i did play GW1 and it was an average game at best,i don't make excuses for it being F2P,i still expect the same quality as a paid game,after all i am there to play the game,not worry about the cost.This post just confirms to me that they are not improving on GW1 at all,they are just moving resources around from one area to another.

BTW 5 playable races is borderline cheap,if they think that is too many and they haven't time to work with 5,then they are as good as their parent,NCSOFT a real cheap ass developer.

Everyone likes to bash SOE ,yet they deliver us several playable races and many years ago,we got all these F2P games and developers like NCSOFT/Arena Net delivering us cheaper products.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• iStyleiStyle Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Wizardry

If people are incapable of reading between the lines,this sounds more like excuses for doing a poor job.
    I was left with this exact same impression of FFXIV,removing lots of things from the game,just because you are putting a little more effort into another area,is a fail.This is exactly why AION only had 2 playable races,they are too dam cheap and lazy to make a proper game with several races,GW2 is going the other route offering more races but removing content to make up for the lost time.
    Honestly i did play GW1 and it was an average game at best,i don't make excuses for it being F2P,i still expect the same quality as a paid game,after all i am there to play the game,not worry about the cost.This post just confirms to me that they are not improving on GW1 at all,they are just moving resources around from one area to another.
     BTW 5 playable races is borderline cheap,if they think that is too many and they haven't time to work with 5,then they are as good as their parent,NCSOFT a real cheap ass developer.
    Everyone likes to bash SOE ,yet they deliver us several playable races and many years ago,we got all these F2P games and developers like NCSOFT/Arena Net delivering us cheaper products.

Because deeming whether a game is good or not on the amount of playable races and conclusions of it's "cheapness" drawn from this is at the pinnacle of logic.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Yeah soe like making races and classes. Look at Vanguard:saga of heroes..19 races and 15 classes xD i have 12 classes and 12 diff races. Love the game.. it s a big world and no instance.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Yeah soe like making races and classes. Look at Vanguard:saga of heroes..19 races and 15 classes xD i have 12 classes and 12 diff races. Love the game.. it s a big world and no instance.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

I have to say GW2 looks very promising

Im glad they have reduced the amount of instancing

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

These questions sucked, I'm disappointed in you MMO.com...Obviously 1 of 2 things happened:

1>The Interviewer hasn't been following Gw2-wiki's list of previous interviews So they asked a buncha crap we already knew.

2>The interviewer asked a lot more questions but they were also the wrong questions and Flannum wouldn't answer them.

And 2 is pretty hard to believe b/c Flannum unflinchingly goes out of his way to add specifics that no one even asks for.  Here's some examples of better Questions:

"You mentioned the new armor system in previous interviews... can you tell us if different armors affect how well we can dodge,  how fast we can run, or how high we can jump?"

"You mentioned that the same Class may "feel" very different across different Races... Is this just limited to their Summons or will some races be able to run/jump better than others?  Will there be racial bonuses for Range/Accuracy or Crafting & Looting?

• "You already mentioned "simplifying" the skill system.. How are you going to compensate for that loss in Tactical Depth that GW players came to love?  For example: Will it have mouse-based Aiming like in an FPS?  Will we be able to target specific points on a player's body?  Will we have more skill-slots to work with?  Will we have greater customization of the skills we use?  IE: What will you be adding in to make sure that the Competitive level between Top players remains "competitive"??"

• aerial_gwaerial_gw Member Posts: 1

I strongly support iller.

GW 2 has been postponed so many times, that I really think is going to be vaporware.

Making game simpler with less skills would create anoter WoW or AION - and why? Nobody knows.

Reading behind the lines mean GW never gathered that amount of money, as WoW for instance. That's the main problem - Anet already announced "....there will be no monthly fee for GW2....". So, there are not so many efforts to create it.

I'm really dissapointyed of that very, very SILLY interview - GW2 has been promised for beta testing in 2008. And still nobody is aware of gameplay? So why concept art is for sale then?

I'm also bored seeing people, proudly showing their 259 hours of GW gameplay being so excited with "newly promised and explained features of GW2". I'm playing it since last 4 years. And I like it as is. Simplifying would just kill it. And making skills fewer will create 1-2 builds, replicated by everyone with shifting gameplay from gaming to grinding.

Instead doing that crazy interviews, Anet team should made very serious efforts in bringing GW to life again - yes, it's true - most of the very experienced peoples lost interrest in playing it and shifted to another games. Altrough this doesn't affects the GW profit itselves, this lack of interrest is killing the game. Sooner or a lather (probablly sooner) there will be only 1 district in whole GW. And with GW2 release date of 2011 Anet would have to compete with much more advanced games that today.

So I expect real job, unfortunately we are receivind only bull crap....

• XaiviarDriaxXaiviarDriax Member Posts: 2

Everyone is trying to read between the lines or guessing on how the game play might be.  Yes they added 4 more playable races, but if you read the interview it hints that certain races could only play certain professions. Can Norn be Elementalist, Necromancers or Mesmers?  In GW Norn seem to be Warriors or Rangers. But on the otherhand in GW Charr can be any of the Prophecies professions.  This can be confusing.  Also, would anyone play an Asura Warrior or even have one in thier party.  They are kind of small in stature.  Yes the race vs professions concerns me more than how many skills I have.  I doubt they would only give you 2 skills to use.  But, I would be surprise if they only allow 4 skills.  And they should eliminate the skill recharge time if they decrease the amount of skills.  My last concern is Charr armed with GUNS.  How is it that Charr can have guns and humans not?  You would think the Asurans having guns because of thier technical knowledge, if they make Golems (robots) they should be able to make guns.  Well I hope before the game actually comes out, anet give a clearer picture about game play and the race profession concerns I have.

JSeigler