Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still hoping for the real "Middle Earth Online" to start development?

1235»

Comments

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Why not be constructive, and say why the mistakes of the old game or positives of the old game, can be used to make a new better game in the future?

Here's my reason: It's a Walter Mitty'ian exercise that ignores reality.  Turbine holds the rights until 2017 for MMOs based off the books. My guess is that they'll likely renew that license as the Zantz company seems relatively pleased with Turbine's approach. There isn't going to be an MEO 2.  Living in the fantasy that there will be is only setting yourself up for disappointment and depression. 

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Cerion

Here's my reason: It's a Walter Mitty'ian exercise that ignores reality.   

holy crap, now there's a reference I never thought I'd see on a gaming forum.

One beer for you my friend.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

You say the issue of power creep could be solved, but give no plausible example.

Actually I did, hidden in the words. Let me rephrase that.

They should not release Balrog at first place. They should not make stags around Lorien level 60 (level 10 would be more appropriate). They should not make giant turtle as a raid boss. They should make a world design right at start - with a vision how to create the world without ending locked up in a ridiculous situation where you have giant turtles stronger than balrog and stags stronger than Angmar orcs.

They should be opening and adding higher level zones as they increase in threat in the world. Why were players fightning Balrogs and Dragons during the original SoA, and now in Moria when they actually increased in power by 10 levels, they are now fightning Giant Turtles and alien-like Moria creatures. This is their incompetence to see the big picture right from the start. They sacrificed the lore together with the future logical progression, just to have big catchy Balrog, Dragon and Nazghul on the box and in the trailers

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Thillian

You say the issue of power creep could be solved, but give no plausible example.

They should not release Balrog at first place. They should not make stags around Lorien level 60 (level 10 would be more appropriate). They should not make giant turtle as a raid boss. They should make a world design right at start - with a vision how to create the world without ending locked up in a ridiculous situation where you have giant turtles stronger than balrog and stags stronger than Angmar orcs.

They should be opening and adding higher level zones as they increase in threat in the world. Why were players fightning Balrogs and Dragons during the original SoA, and now in Moria when they actually increased in power by 10 levels, they are now fightning Giant Turtles and alien-like Moria creatures. This is their incompetence to see the big picture right from the start. They sacrificed the lore together with the future logical progression, just to have big catchy Balrog, Dragon and Nazghul on the box and in the trailers

Seriously, step back away from your bitterness toward Turbine -- it just confuses the issue.  You are only telling me what they shouldn't do regarding power creep, and not giving any examples of what actually WOULD work. 

Originally posted by Sovrath

I'll take that beer! I could use it, lol.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Build a sandbox Middle-Earth. Most of the map available.

Timeframe: 6 Months to a year after the end of the LoTR.

Story: The war of the rings is over. Middle Earth is a wreck. Mordor is still home to various evils left behind.

A king is in Gondor. The roads are safe, however political strife between the humans of Gondor, Rohon, Dale, Bree, the elves of Mirkwood, Lothlorien, the dwarves of the Lonely Mountain and Moria, the hobbits of the Shire, as well as tribes/bands of orcs, scattered across the land  provide much work for those committed to the healing of Middle Earth.

Playable races: Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Orcs. (subclassed by racial or social type)

Pick a race, pick a faction, explore Middle Earth as a warrior, merchant, craftsman, politician, etc...

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I just bought that on DvD a few months ago. Couldn't torrent it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by dhayes68

I just bought that on DvD a few months ago. Couldn't torrent it.

ok, seriously, sometimes you guys amaze me a bit too much.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Seriously, step back away from your bitterness toward Turbine -- it just confuses the issue.  You are only telling me what they shouldn't do regarding power creep, and not giving any examples of what actually WOULD work. 

I hate to repeat myself. I've been typing the same thing for the third time. Im just gonna quote myself:

"They should be opening and adding higher level zones as they increase in threat in the world. "

Indeed, the ship is sailed now, but that doesn't mean they can't make that kind of design from now on.

REALITY CHECK

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by jiveturkey12                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Why not be constructive, and say why the mistakes of the old game or positives of the old game, can be used to make a new better game in the future?

Here's my reason: It's a Walter Mitty'ian exercise that ignores reality.  Turbine holds the rights until 2017 for MMOs based off the books. My guess is that they'll likely renew that license as the Zantz company seems relatively pleased with Turbine's approach. There isn't going to be an MEO 2.  Living in the fantasy that there will be is only setting yourself up for disappointment and depression. 

Im not going to be upset or depressed if there is no new MEO. Also how do you know Turbine wont make a new LOTR MMO? I mean its not unheard of, think of Everquest and Everquest 2, some people said "Why would you make a second everquest? Why not just keep extending the first one?" Well times change, graphics change, and most of all the market changes.

In the next few years we could see a blockbuster sandbox hit, and with the hobbit movies coming out around the same time, Turbine might cash in and make a new game. Its not 100% inplausable, so you wont end my discussion by saying its going to make me upset.

Im sure half the people on this forum are old enough, and intelligent enough to not cry over an MMO they want, not coming to fruition. 

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Im not going to be upset or depressed if there is no new MEO. Also how do you know Turbine wont make a new LOTR MMO? I mean its not unheard of, think of Everquest and Everquest 2, some people said "Why would you make a second everquest? Why not just keep extending the first one?" Well times change, graphics change, and most of all the market changes.

In the next few years we could see a blockbuster sandbox hit, and with the hobbit movies coming out around the same time, Turbine might cash in and make a new game. Its not 100% inplausable, so you wont end my discussion by saying its going to make me upset.

Im sure half the people on this forum are old enough, and intelligent enough to not cry over an MMO they want, not coming to fruition. 

Haha, must have struck a nerve.  As for people not crying, well, you could have fooled me....

Oh, I'm sure Turbine is going to make a Hobbit MMO. I'd bet my life-sub on it.  And I guarantee it won't be a sandbox -- it will be in the same vein of LOTRO. And I'd even further wager that it will be geared for a younger audience and be playable on console systems.

Oh, and I'm not trying 'end your discussion." You asked 'why not be constructive..."  And I'm telling you why it's pointless to suggest an MEO solution to future Turbine products.

I hate to repeat myself. I've been typing the same thing for the third time. Im just gonna quote myself:

"They should be opening and adding higher level zones as they increase in threat in the world. "

Indeed, the ship is sailed now, but that doesn't mean they can't make that kind of design from now on.

All right, I give up, lol.

<stops beating head against brick wall>

Haha, must have struck a nerve.  As for people not crying, well, you could have fooled me....

Oh, I'm sure Turbine is going to make a Hobbit MMO. I'd bet my life-sub on it.  And I guarantee it won't be a sandbox -- it will be in the same vein of LOTRO. And I'd even further wager that it will be geared for a younger audience and be playable on console systems.

Oh, and I'm not trying 'end your discussion." You asked 'why not be constructive..."  And I'm telling you why it's pointless to suggest an MEO solution to future Turbine products.

If by nerve, you mean a constructive and researched post, then your right. But if you somehow sensed hostility in my post, you were probably catching some internet wave of the youtube video I had up, which was Glen Beck's recent rant on Obama. Back on topic, you can bet whatever you want, but as long as this is a free forum, with either of us having zero evidence to go buy for either or game, then I will continue to express my ideas.

If by nerve, you mean a constructive and researched post, then your right. But if you somehow sensed hostility in my post, you were probably catching some internet wave of the youtube video I had up, which was Glen Beck's recent rant on Obama. Back on topic, you can bet whatever you want, but as long as this is a free forum, with either of us having zero evidence to go buy for either or game, then I will continue to express my ideas.

Really, stop playing the victim.  Nobody is stopping you from expressing your views, lol.  YOU asked why not add to this discussion, and I'm telling you WHY. If you didn't want to know why, how come you asked? Was it a rhetorical question you asked in which you didn't want an answer? lol.

Really, stop playing the victim.  Nobody is stopping you from expressing your views, lol.  YOU asked why not add to this discussion, and I'm telling you WHY. If you didn't want to know why, how come you asked? Was it a rhetorical question you asked in which you didn't want an answer? lol.

If you had simply stated "There wont be an MEO 2 because of this", then it would have ended.

Instead you tried to play the "Internet Badass", and go "O man, I must have struck a nerve, hahahahahaha/ Look guys, look over here, someones obviously getting upset because of something I said, im such a badass! Ah man, im going to go watch Gilmore Girls season 2 on DVD!"

Back on topic, I just got an email back from Gamespot, and they can give me a mirror download link to the Walkthrough video for MEO. As soon as I get it, Ill transfer it to youtube, that way people can see what MEO was originally about. 

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

If Turbine scrapped the first MEO design to make it a WoW clone, what in gods name would possess them to make another Middle Earth game for its original fanbase? That would be business suicide, sadly.Maybe they should do it, so it can go to a company that would actually make MEO and not LotRO 

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Also to Mr.Bloodworth, no not everything we are talking about was only in writing. Again There was clearly a video with Evil and Good armor and characters in it, there was dungeons with destructible objects like Walls and doors, and there was emphasis on quests and travel with freinds like using a different race to read certain "Lore" from another race.

Distructble objects = In Game.

Quests and travale = In game.

Reading diffrent race lore = Ingame.

Wrong. Wrong, and wrong. 

• DyrnwynnDyrnwynn Member Posts: 4

Middle Earth Online was very interesting, and there were some aspects of it that I do wish had stuck around.

However, the idea that it was going to be more true to "the lore" is rubbish.

There were going to be player Necromancers, and other such silliness.

The MEO gameplay video featured the PC in massive plate-mail, causing huge explosions by slamming his sword into ground.  Also, the morality / corruption system sounded neat, but the video showcased a simplistic system in which equipping 'cool. but evil' equipment was what corrupted you.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by SignusM

Also to Mr.Bloodworth, no not everything we are talking about was only in writing. Again There was clearly a video with Evil and Good armor and characters in it, there was dungeons with destructible objects like Walls and doors, and there was emphasis on quests and travel with freinds like using a different race to read certain "Lore" from another race.

Wrong. Wrong, and wrong. 

Yes, yes you are wrong. Try playing the game.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

*Anyone wishing to see Mr.Bloodworth's Trolling hit a new low, read on.*

Why do you keep avoiding the Morality system? Seriously can you honestly come up with nothing after sitting on this post for hours, or make any type of debate against it?

Also Destructible objects, where? I played to level 30+ and dont remember ever going up to a wall and breaking it down, or smashing a statue to get a key or any of the destrutive elements shown in the MEO videos.

Also you split my last point up into two points to try and save face. The quests and traveling went side by side with the lore in different languages, because if you traveled through say "Moria", again like in the video, you might need a dwarf to read certain text that was written in their language.

These sad attempts at trying to make the former MEO loose face are getting ridiculous. On top of that, this thread is about a new MEO. Why not be constructive, and say why the mistakes of the old game or positives of the old game, can be used to make a new better game in the future?

Morality system (That was never implemented, only mentioned as a design goal in pre-alpha) was somewhat scraped but some of its basic ideas are found in the game to day.

There are many destructible objects/walls whatever littered through out the game. All the language stuff is the scholar profession, the original idea (as it did in SWG, where it was changed to simply be trained by anyone, so it was pointless) was scraped as it was simply an annoying hindrance to fun.

What you are not understanding is, and I have already explained, your entire memories are based of a stage where the game WAS IN PROTOTYPE stage, and many of the features you try to claim as gone, are in game, just in a different form, all due to the fact that reality of development set in.

But sure, Continue not reading anything.

I am not trolling anything, I am just about the only person in this thread that sees the reality of the situation, and the only one that seems to have commonsense to see how the game that you were looking forward to (That was mostly on paper at that point) is the game we have today. You simply do not want to hear this fact.

I have already told you what was wrong with the game you speak of, both the sierra, and the original MEO (based off many concepts of the sierra one) were refined into the game you see today, nothing is missing, the trials, data, and play testing (you know, development after prototype) refined those systems, and in some cases changed them. But they are there.

You are just to jaded to see them.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me