Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There needs to be more solo oriented MMOs

2»

Comments

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Ozigoul

Originally posted by raystantz

At first I didn't think this guy was serious.. but apparently he is.
    MMORPG... Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying game.
    What your looking for is a ..
    SPCRG... Single Player Chat Room game.

Seriously, how many times does this have to be fought over. MMOs are NOT single player games. Sure, add some solo stuff for when you can't get a group or don't want a group. But if you seriously think that an MMO should give solo players the same exact content and rewards as those who take the time to group.. your delusional.

I really like this term SPCRG. This is definitely a good one.

Highly reflective of where the industry is going. Think about it you could create a solo game or create a solo game plus a chat box and charge 15$ per month. The new mmo player generation would not see the difference.

LOL my cross game guild also links up with steam so when were playing games like mass effect or left 4 dead 2 we can chat together.

Honestly the ability to chat in game during Mass Effect makes it more of a MMO than todays current themeparks.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by raystantz

At first I didn't think this guy was serious.. but apparently he is.
    MMORPG... Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying game.
    What your looking for is a ..
    SPCRG... Single Player Chat Room game.

Seriously, how many times does this have to be fought over. MMOs are NOT single player games. Sure, add some solo stuff for when you can't get a group or don't want a group. But if you seriously think that an MMO should give solo players the same exact content and rewards as those who take the time to group.. your delusional.

Highly reflective of where the industry is going. Think about it you could create a solo game or create a solo game plus a chat box and charge 15$ per month. The new mmo player generation would not see the difference.

Holy crap.. you might be on to something...

I've got an idea for the game to kill WoW..

wait for it...

Twilight: The MMO...

Everything will be soloable, since you'll be able to play as edward or Jacob.. and there will be two factions.

To make it even more "new generation" friendly.. it will be playable from facebook.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• SyberSmokeSyberSmoke Member Posts: 4

I agree with this to some degree.  Past experience with PUG's has been horrible in many of the games I played.  People were just foolish and when things do not go absolutely perfect the first time, they run away like little babies with a splinter in their finger.  This is why I solo allot.

Yes there are those moments where things need a couple more people and usually there is another player or two just wandering around that will assist for a couple moments.  But most games ave to have room for all types.

I think this is one of my driving interests in StarTrek Online.  I have played Eve, I have played WoW, I have played PotBS and many many more free and pay.  But for all I have read, STO looks to have the most flexibility for playing alone and getting something done.  But hey I am a Sci-Fi nut any way.

So the games are out there...you just have to know where to look I guess.  But for me, I would like to have a game where people do not run and hide when things go bad.  Would that not be nice.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by GetViolated

I'm tired of this whole forced group aspect in MMOs.
    I want to be the best and I don't want to rely on others to get there. Therefore, more mmo companies should release mmos that don't require any group play to advance your character so I can smack the crap out of other players. 

Seems like a troll to me. If not, there should be a good balance between the two, and the ability to switch between them at will...hence, an open world. But mainly or solely solo play? For an MMORPG?!?.....console games are that way ==========>

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I've soloed in every game since I played a certain blizzard game.. so it's always possible to play alone, it just requires a little over-leveling for most group-oriented stuff like bosses and instances. To me, more grinding is worth not having to deal with the community most games offer lol.

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321

Making an MMO soloable seems silly to me.

It's an MMO - make it use the massively multiplayer aspect.

That said, people are different. There are outcasts and such in real life, and there are people who only want to hang out with friends who get very depressed without anyone around at all times - the latter there usually lives with roommates, and is, at the least, in a bad relationship, simply for the companionship of another human being.

There should be forms of play that cater to both of these people, were you trying to make an MMO that works for the masses.

Otherwise, you should keep to your niche and not spoil it by trying to make your group game soloable...

Oh, and I like the idea of a SPCRG - sorta like that game, Demon's Souls or whatever it was.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I'm tired of this whole forced group aspect in MMOs.
    I want to be the best and I don't want to rely on others to get there. Therefore, more mmo companies should release mmos that don't require any group play to advance your character so I can smack the crap out of other players. 

The best what?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by Blazz

That said, people are different. There are outcasts and such in real life, and there are people who only want to hang out with friends who get very depressed without anyone around at all times - the latter there usually lives with roommates, and is, at the least, in a bad relationship, simply for the companionship of another human being.
    There should be forms of play that cater to both of these people, were you trying to make an MMO that works for the masses.
    Otherwise, you should keep to your niche and not spoil it by trying to make your group game soloable...

Oh, and I like the idea of a SPCRG - sorta like that game, Demon's Souls or whatever it was.

in Demon's Souls you can't actually chat... you can only leave pre-made msgs for others to see. I guess Demon's Souls dont fit the SPCRG concept. But is a good game, with a very unique multiplayer mode.

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335
    Originally posted by Blazz

making the only way to advance your character by grouping doesn't make any sense to me 

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I wouldn't mind having solo  or small group like 5 or less content at end game as an option. Would be a nice alternative to that destroyer of braincells and any appearance of manners..

Originally posted by karat76

I wouldn't mind having solo  or small group like 5 or less content at end game as an option. Would be a nice alternative to that destroyer of braincells and any appearance of manners..

it isn't too much to ask to have end game solo dungeons or have the choice to group with a few friends to get end game gear

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

it isn't too much to ask to have end game solo dungeons or have the choice to group with a few friends to get end game gear

I agree there as to be more options at end game besides raiding and pvp. I don't mind pvping but for me I would rather go back to work in a state prison an be surrounded by lifers than to have to tolerate an hour listening to your average raider.

I agree there as to be more options at end game besides raiding and pvp. I don't mind pvping but for me I would rather go back to work in a state prison an be surrounded by lifers than to have to tolerate an hour listening to your average raider.

not to mention most raid leaders/guild leaders are idiots 

i'd rather play with my friends or by myself 

• zohnnyzohnny Member UncommonPosts: 45

i just quit AOC and CO because i can never find a group. around level 15 in CO i couldnt even solo a 2 enemy mob. its such a slow slow grind if i want to just fight lower level enemies its not worth it. in AOC same slow grind unless you find a group. i could never find a group. thats what forced grouping gets you in mmo games. if you cant find a group then you cant play. what a waste. in both of those games the lfg tools suck.

the only forced group game ive ever enjoyed is DDO. thier lfg tools are really good. easy to find groups too. i also like DDO loot system where when theres a chest everyone gets something. you wont find a raid or dungeon group of 50 people all rolling for 1 item then the raid leet player that the raid leader favors automatically gets the armor piece because hes needed it for a while even though all his armor and weapons are better than what anyone else in the raid has.

what is pretty cool is being able to solo to level cap and along the way group up for named monsters, dungeons and raids. yes i do like dungeons and raids but i dont always like the players.

so basically games that force you to group in order to play if you cant find a group then you cant play. that makes less people play then its even harder to find a group. then more people quit then the game dies. forced grouping except in DDO in my opinion sucks. go try CO and AOC at level 1 and see how far you get before you get tired of the grind and cant find a group. see how long you put up with it before you quit.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

Add battlegrounds that you could link up with other people for PvP, and an auction hall system, and I would play it, lol. In all seriousness, you could almost get rid of the chat box. I typically only solo in MMOs, and the only reason I am drawn to MMO's is the PvP and auction halls/economy. So yeah, you COULD make a game like that, and have it sell.

Originally posted by Rallycart

Add battlegrounds that you could link up with other people for PvP, and an auction hall system, and I would play it, lol. In all seriousness, you could almost get rid of the chat box. I typically only solo in MMOs, and the only reason I am drawn to MMO's is the PvP and auction halls/economy. So yeah, you COULD make a game like that, and have it sell.

i love the idea of battlegrounds but only if they are random and not vs premades

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Battlegrounds completely killed everything that was good about PVP in mmos. 

WoW used to have some fun world pvp back in its hey day. But, they decided to botch that all up with battlegrounds and arena. If I want to play instanced "map" pvp, I'll play call of duty.. or left 4 dead. And it will be infinitely more fun. In an MMO I want to be attacked at random out in the open world. I don't know where this "age of the make it easy" came about. Its like they try so hard to get ALL the subs they can get, that they dumb the games down to a point of complete retardation.

I mean, my 2 year old could damn near play WoW and do well. I mean, he never has to group with anyone.. so they'd never  know. I still say.. single player games are that way.. Your not going to get the same rewards for the same content. Its just not viable. 

As others have suggested.. if they put in ways to balance the solo with the group content so that one is not more viable than the other.. then it would work. But as it stands now, as long as its "easier" (and it is.. believe me.. thats why everyone does it) to solo through the game.. they won't ever group for anything. 

I do understand wanting to play with your friends. But again.. if all you want to do is play with people you already know.. there are better choices for games to do so in. MMO's are about social interaction with people you might NOT know. Thus creating new friends in the process. Your just alienating yourself by refusing to group with people.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA.