Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Conquer the Seas Expansion Q&A

Comments

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by kazamx

Frankly I smell more spin.
    How can a game with such a low population be getting anywhere?

They spend everything on the game. they get a lot of grief for it, but they know spending money on the game is the best thing in the long term.

Lets look at Warhammer.

How much money was spent flying Paul, Josh and and Hickman in Business class around the world in  for years before the game launched?

How much was spent setting up MASSIVE stands at every games event for the year building up to the launch of the game?

How much money was spent advertising the game on all the gaming websites? Remember when they got a full screen ad on wowhead.com?

How much was spent on the HUGE number of servers that they had to close down?

How much was spent on all the Community staff who were hired to watch the forums of the fan sites?

How much was spent on all the marketing staff?

Warhammer spent MASSIVE amounts of money on stuff that had nothing to do with the game and everything to do with hype. it worked. they tricked a lot of people into buying the game, but they left a month or two later.  AV spent their tiny budget on the game. Yes it had problems. Yes they didn't communicate. Yes things have been a pain in the ass. But they knew spending everything they had on the game would be for the best in the long term.

DF has the chance to become one of the rare MMOs to constantly grow rather than boom, bust and close.

extremely well said and true.

My blog: image

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

For those wondering, Clan NEW recruits 5-10 new palyers a day. Excluding all the other players who just don't join a clan, that's a lot. Aventurine is doing really well and this expansion will bring even more players to DarkFall. Can't wait :þ

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190

Being an ex-VG player of 3 years. I must say there is alot of /jealous on this lol.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052
    Originally posted by Xeonsoldier

Being an ex-VG player of 3 years. I must say there is alot of /jealous on this lol.

Then get your ass over here.

• ISVRaDaISVRaDa Member UncommonPosts: 6

AV spent their tiny budget on the game. Yes it had problems. Yes they didn't communicate. Yes things have been a pain in the ass. But they knew spending everything they had on the game would be for the best in the long term.
    DF has the chance to become one of the rare MMOs to constantly grow rather than boom, bust and close.

An absolute truth.

What would be of the genre (MMORPGs) today without CCP or AV? Think about this.

Thanks for the interview.

Best regards!

Playing DarkFall since 25st February 2009

..Long ago ran the sun on a folk who had a dream..
    UO player 1998-2002, Europe Shard.

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Ruyn

Originally posted by Xeonsoldier

Then get your ass over here.

I would man but I'm just not a PVPer when it comes to MMOs. I'll play every FPS you put out there but for some reason my mindset when it comes to RPGs and MMOs is to find ways not to say "omg pwnt noob" if you get me on that :p

• conanarasconanaras Member Posts: 68

Glad to see that Darkfall is doing good. Me, I am not a pvp fan so I am staying away from it, but its always refreshing to see indie companies develop good games. Now indies out there, make a good PvE game as well! xD

1 + 1 = 2... Unless it CRITS!

• DekthroDekthro Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Arcken

Originally posted by Einstein-DF

Great article guys. The game is developing wonderfully

To think the haters were stating the game would shut down in 6 months....lol....they are actually hiring new people and moving into a bigger building. 

Unlike some games....

You guys realize MMO's used have been running on a few thousand subscribers for YEARS.... Not every game needs 7-8 figures to survive.

• MannyManaMannyMana Member Posts: 1

They are doing alot of things in the right direction. I will most likely be playing the game after this expansion... HOWEVER I still want to see one of the most important balance issues in the game fixed: Skill deterioration. I have not heard from anyone if this is even planned to be applied as they originally wanted. If they don't apply this to the game it creates grind to be competitive in pvp.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add a skill decay to the game! Or at least a hardcap (like UO).

This game is almost near perfect!

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I have to give credit to AV for their efforts and try to keep not only the game different than all WoW clones but also adding major features for free that arent even available in others majors MMO.

I would play the game but I really don't like PvP in MMO. Real PvP belongs to FPS in which only skills makes the difference, not gear.

I look forward servers without PvP rules or something along only voluntary PvP ruleset.

That being said, a permadeath server could be fun...

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Darkfall is not my style of game, and I'll likely never play it.  But the MMO industry can use all the success it can get, especially with diverse game designs. So I wish AV and Darkfall all the best really.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Cerion

Darkfall is not might style of game, and I'll likely never play it.  But the MMO industry can use all the success it can get, especially with diverse game designs. So I wish AV and Darkfall all the best really.

My goodness what a pleasant attitude. If more were like you, these forums might be a wee bit more constructive and rewarding.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

I've never been this unbelievably excited about an upcoming expansion and what has been hinted to come afterwards in any MMO, ever. The potential for this game is STILL insanely huge, and I feel like they're just starting to break the surface in what they'll be able to accomplish.

• gmyankgmyank Member Posts: 6

Been playing mmorpg's since Ultima Online.  Only UO and DAOC were able to hold my interest long term because they were challenging and FUN to play.

Darkfall has got me hooked.  The world is huge and facinating!  Game play can be brutal at times, but  very rewarding.

It has been worth waiting through the long developement time.  Darkfall is only getting better and is going to be around a long time. The developers seem determined to make it the best mmorpg.

Keep up good work guys!

• HaizenHaizen Member Posts: 4

Good Job AV

Thanks for giving us a best mmo with realistic graphics and amazing and best PVP

GZ for new servers and new office

I played a lot of paid mmos in 10 years ,  and this 100% the best

Darkfall dont have BOTS

If one BOT can play for u this prove that this game dont need player skill....Say good bye for TAB+Click and try Darkfall

• kagerkager Member Posts: 3

I've played eve online for several years, watching a core game with awesome gameplay mechanics grow into something beautiful.

However since I have been playing Darkfall from it's first day, I can honestly say this game is growing twice as fast and is looking to become a long time pvp favorite for anyone who picks it up. 

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Darkfall is not might style of game, and I'll likely never play it.  But the MMO industry can use all the success it can get, especially with diverse game designs. So I wish AV and Darkfall all the best really.

My goodness what a pleasant attitude. If more were like you, these forums might be a wee bit more constructive and rewarding.

Heh, yeah, well it's Thanksgiving holiday here in the US, so I'm feeling a bit cheery.   I'll save my major gripes for the 'big boys' who should know better, and not the smaller companies that are trying to fill a need in the market.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Cecropia

Heh, yeah, well it's Thanksgiving holiday here in the US, so I'm feeling a bit cheery.   I'll save my major gripes for the 'big boys' who should know better, and not the smaller companies that are trying to fill a need in the market.

Ugh, I'm jealous of your Thanksgiving. I'm Canadian and had mine last month. I want some turkey.

But ya, the more of these little guys that are successful the better we all are as mmo nuts.

Happy belated Thanksgiving Cerion.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

When will priestage classes be added? and Pet Classes?

I want to be able to summon,

Spirits,

Ghost

Other Undead Minions

Angles

Demons

Animals

Elemetals

EXT

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752
    Originally posted by tro44_1

When will priestage classes be added? and Pet Classes?
    I want to be able to summon,
    Spirits,
    Ghost
    Other Undead Minions
    Angles
    Demons
    Animals
    Elemetals
    EXT

You mean have an NPC fight for you

I wouldnt mind having spells to ressurect a demon that can dance retardedly around his master, but to fight for him is absolutely a no no

Not in this game, hopefully.....no more carebearing, no more skillless "I win attack this" button for NPCs

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Why would the switch offices right before an expansion is released.

I sense a reason for delay...

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

Why would the switch offices right before an expansion is released.
    I sense a reason for delay...

If you read the interview, Tasos told you the reason.  No need to conspiracy theory it up.

• carnage22carnage22 Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Deewe

I have to give credit to AV for their efforts and try to keep not only the game different than all WoW clones but also adding major features for free that arent even available in others majors MMO.

I would play the game but I really don't like PvP in MMO. Real PvP belongs to FPS in which only skills makes the difference, not gear.

I look forward servers without PvP rules or something along only voluntary PvP ruleset.
    That being said, a permadeath server could be fun...

The current servers dont have any rules.  And gear doesnt have a lot to do with being good in pvp, player skill and character skills do.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

"Tasos Flambouras:  ...We’ve also filled the world with wildlife which will hone individual player skills and now and then they’ll even drop epic loot." 

About time they finally admitted that their empty wilderness wasn't "realistic" like they kept trying to claim. There might be hope for this IP yet...I still won't sub though...DF has a long ways to go before it can be considered "launch-material". I won't pay a sub to play a beta, heh. 

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by Anarchist420

Originally posted by Ruyn

Originally posted by Arcken

Great article guys. The game is developing wonderfully

To think the haters were stating the game would shut down in 6 months....lol....they are actually hiring new people and moving into a bigger building. 

Unlike some games....

The conspiracy continues.

...the plot thickens.

...as i always say, it wont matter if the expansion is spin....... because we all die in 2012!

speak for yourself

I will hang around a while longer myself. There'll be me ... and possibly Chuck Norris xD