Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Major Layoffs at Mythic

13»

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Wraithone

Blame the public "educational" system. Most people have no clue about the difference between a Democracy(which the Founders/Framers rightly feared and despised) and  a Constitutional Republic.

Of course they feared and despised democracy - they were rich, white, male, and many of them owned slaves. Not a demographic which would be inclined to egalitarianism.

Your vaunted "egalitarianism" has feet of clay... The mob simply can not be trusted to wisely wield the power of the state.  Their petty hatreds, envy, ignorance and spite are much too easy to manipulate.  But this isn't the forum for such discussions, mores the pity.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by battleaxe

Back in the day, EA was an innovator.

For the most part, EA has been a re-release company for years.  They make a retread of any and every mildly successful product as often as they can - sports games (football, golf, soccer, etc.), racing games, etc.  They also put out movie based games, which always suck.  They have a few FPS franchises, but they're usually sub-standard.  If they don't own it, and it's successful, they buy it and retread it into the dirt.
    They forced Mythic to release Warhammer early with the obvious results.  EA is just a disaster.

Sad but true. But EA is all too typical of the short term corporate mentality. Just about everything is done with an eye on the *quarterly* report. Its difficult to have a long term plan when thats your main focus.  But if they don't focus on that then the shareholders howl.  But EA has gone from bad to worse over the last few years.

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107

All the comments about EA being in the wrong here are just "simple"...no real thought put behind the responses.

Mythic sold out to EA why?  Because they KNEW the quality of WAR.  They KNEW they were running out of cash.  They KNEW that their game would not float them enough cash quick enough upon release to let Mythic survive on it's own.  Mythic's sell out to EA was a way for Mythic management to grab cash and run instead of simply going under. 

It's not EA's fault that WAR is what it is.  It is original Mythic's fault.  The only thing you can blame EA for is not throwing good money after bad by letting Mythic continue in it's present size with WAR.

As some others have stated.  Stop releasing unfinished games.  Stop making promises that you don't keep in terms of launch content.  Stop creating hype, let hype create itself!  If you create a good game, it will prosper on it's own with a modest amount of advertisement.  Plan your budget around releasing the game when it's ready.  If you can't budget that, then you have no business being in the business of online gaming. 

These days, consumers have been pretty eager to punish developers and publishers that scoff at this common sense.  They still get an initial cash "pop" from initial box sales, but when word gets out about the lack of quality of the game, it's days are numbered.

P.S.  Don't think I'm an EA fan.  I've hated them since they canned Earth and Beyond :(

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Blame the public "educational" system. Most people have no clue about the difference between a Democracy(which the Founders/Framers rightly feared and despised) and  a Constitutional Republic.

Of course they feared and despised democracy - they were rich, white, male, and many of them owned slaves. Not a demographic which would be inclined to egalitarianism.

Your vaunted "egalitarianism" has feet of clay... The mob simply can not be trusted to wisely wield the power of the state.  Their petty hatreds, envy, ignorance and spite are much too easy to manipulate.  But this isn't the forum for such discussions, mores the pity.

Nope.  According to Jefferson we're only here for the occasional bloodbath whenever government goes bad.  Strong leaders and eventual government is still needed though.

Oh ok even though some of them supported the new French democracy.  Besides we're much less free today then we were under those horrible slave owners.  Wonder how future generations will see us--those arab killing, third trimester baby slaughterers stripping third world resources and assinating anyone that doesn't go along with our corporatocracy.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by greymann 
    Oh ok even though some of them supported the new French democracy.  Besides we're much less free today then we were under those horrible slave owners.

"We"?
    Not women, blacks, and the poor.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Oh ok even though some of them supported the new French democracy.  Besides we're much less free today then we were under those horrible slave owners.

"We"?

Hmm, at least 2 great excuses they've had to turn all of us into slaves.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

"We"?

via wage and debt slavery.  Ironic that a guy named George Fitzhugh predicted it all.  The irony being that he used it as an argument against abolition.

Originally posted by Robsolf

"We"?

via wage and debt slavery.  Ironic that a guy named George Fitzhugh predicted it all.  The irony being that he used it as an argument against abolition.

Great way to confuse people as to what's best.  As if we couldn't have abolished slavery without having to accept all the crap that came with it.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Robsolf

"We"?

Great way to confuse people as to what's best.  As if we couldn't have abolished slavery without having to accept all the crap that came with it.

Yep, you'd think, if his argument was out of sincere concern for the slaves and working class, that he would have fought for fair labor and wage practices.  But nope... just the crocodile tears of a concern troll...

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Tetters

Originally posted by metalhead980

This is why you dont sell out to EA.
    Lets hope the same shit doesn't happen to Bioware after it's MMO shares the fate of WAR.

Why are you convinced that Bioware's MMO will fail, or are you trying to get a little trolling into the thread?

Whats the average sub total for a MMO in NA/Euro? Excluding WoW? 150k

How many subs does WAR have? About 100k.

To a AAA company like EA Average subs is a fucking failure because WoW has 6.5 million subs in NA/Euro.

It doesn't matter that WAR is just a tad below average and it wont matter when TOR has between 200k-500k subs.

We all know WoW was a freak of nature but these crazy ass AAA companies don't! They think your a worthless piece of shit if you cant hang with the ten ton gorilla.

It's WoW numbers or your fucked. Now can you honestly see TOR hitting WoW numbers? Not a chance in hell.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Originally posted by Tetters

This is why you dont sell out to EA.
    Lets hope the same shit doesn't happen to Bioware after it's MMO shares the fate of WAR.

Why are you convinced that Bioware's MMO will fail, or are you trying to get a little trolling into the thread?

Whats the average sub total for a MMO in NA/Euro? Excluding WoW? 150k

How many subs does WAR have? About 100k.

To a AAA company like EA Average subs is a fucking failure because WoW has 6.5 million subs in NA/Euro.

It doesn't matter that WAR is just a tad below average and it wont matter when TOR has between 200k-500k subs.

We all know WoW was a freak of nature but these crazy ass AAA companies don't! They think your a worthless piece of shit if you cant hang with the ten ton gorilla.

It's WoW numbers or your fucked. Now can you honestly see TOR hitting WoW numbers? Not a chance in hell.

You know...I'd like to think that even EA wouldn't be quite THAT stupid... But then I think back on some of the stunts they've pulled in the past... You might well be on to something here... Unless Bioware can talk some sense in to them, even 350-400K players might be considered a "failure" by EA.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

This is why you never ever sell your company to EA, this is why you never ever trust EA, EA is the destroyer of companies..when will these people learn to never sell to EA..how many companies have to be destroyed?

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Also interesting they are laying off all these people yet they just purchased Playfish for $400 million.

digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091109/ea-buys-playfish/

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by smut

Originally posted by pojung

@ smut
    Perhaps you should do a study on gang populations and militia populations that threaten national security. There are healthy doses of demographics within the US who are actively trying to secede. A civil war of national size might be laughable, but internal unrest is very much alive and growing.
    OP: Best of luck for all former Mythic employees hit by these layoffs. Your most recent patch brought me back to the title and have been enjoying it casually each weekend with coworkers. I do hope you find employment during these tough times.

Whatever...I find it hilarious people bring up civil war because they do not like the democratically elected POTUS. We live in a democracy, things are changed within the system, not by going outside of it and threatening or talking about civil wars. Regardless, this is a gaming forum. So not sure why anyone brought up politics to begin with so I will drop it.

Again, my sympathies to the Mythic employees, especially in this tough world we are living in.

In an age of Home Land Security, such discussions are most unwise in a public forum any way...

Its too bad about the people who lost their jobs. But its all too predictable, knowing EA's past history.  Hopefully, they can find other employment soon.

Democracy... wonder who gave him the idea we were in a democracy?  George Lucas?  That people think this now is even more hilarious than the original idea itself.

Come on, now you two are just playing semantics. Also, you do not know me so let's not assume what I have or don't have a clue about. This is a game forum so I used the popular term democracy. No need to act like I do not have a proper education because I used the word "democracy". And if you really wanna define it, we are a Federal Republic and a Constitutional Representative Democracy.

As Lincoln said, we are a government of the people (res publica), by the people (dimokratia).

@ smut
    Perhaps you should do a study on gang populations and militia populations that threaten national security. There are healthy doses of demographics within the US who are actively trying to secede. A civil war of national size might be laughable, but internal unrest is very much alive and growing.
    OP: Best of luck for all former Mythic employees hit by these layoffs. Your most recent patch brought me back to the title and have been enjoying it casually each weekend with coworkers. I do hope you find employment during these tough times.

Whatever...I find it hilarious people bring up civil war because they do not like the democratically elected POTUS. We live in a democracy, things are changed within the system, not by going outside of it and threatening or talking about civil wars. Regardless, this is a gaming forum. So not sure why anyone brought up politics to begin with so I will drop it.

Again, my sympathies to the Mythic employees, especially in this tough world we are living in.

In an age of Home Land Security, such discussions are most unwise in a public forum any way...

Its too bad about the people who lost their jobs. But its all too predictable, knowing EA's past history.  Hopefully, they can find other employment soon.

Democracy... wonder who gave him the idea we were in a democracy?  George Lucas?  That people think this now is even more hilarious than the original idea itself.

Come on, now you two are just playing semantics. Also, you do not know me so let's not assume what I have or don't have a clue about. This is a game forum so I used the popular term democracy. No need to act like I do not have a proper education because I used the word "democracy". And if you really wanna define it, we are a Federal Republic and a Constitutional Representative Democracy.

As Lincoln said, we are a government of the people (res publica), by the people (dimokratia).

I thought you were going to drop it.  I just think democracy was a utopian ideal that developed in the age of enlightenment that now seems little more than illusion.  Maybe the greeks came up with the idea but the same philosophers that promoted it also had slaves.  Go figure.

@ smut

Certainly we have a government of, by and for the people... But WHICH people? If you mean the ones with the wealth and position to buy the politicians I'd quite agree.  We've had that type of government for generations and generations.  But we really need to drop this now, and get back to gaming.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I remember people posting warnings when Mythic let EA into the picture.   But I can't really see EA as the one to blame.   Mythic had to have known there would be a price for getting help from a big company like EA.   The price was that they either had to deliver on their promises or there would be consequences.   These are the unfortunate consequences.  The people who were fired have my sympathies. 

There were elements of WAR that I did enjoy.     The general PvP mechancis, the Scenarios, Public Quests and some parts of the open world RvR were fun.   

But things like the forced mixing of PvE and PvP (esp in Endgame content and Crafting), the absolutely terrible zone layout and design, and the mediocre PvE content and needless timesinks really made the game suffer. 

Then there was the awful lag which I understand has only recently been fixed because of bottlenecking bugs they only discovered a YEAR after release.

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=949

Game performance lost Mythic hundreds of thousands of subscribers, no matter how good their PvP is.     Waiting 1-2 minutes for a letter to be mailed was ridiculous.   Crashing issues in open world RvR when it's supposed to be the main feature insured no one would stick with the game.

I guess this just goes back to the old lesson that publishers still haven't learned.   Releasing a MMORPG full of bugs is no longer acceptable.   If it means you have to wait another year to fix them, then fix them.   If it means your company has to post losses for several quarters because of that, then that's what it takes.   Because you won't make any money trying to release a game too early. 

Accuse Blizzard of whatever you want, but they don't release a game before it's ready.   They'll even cancel games that aren't turning out right (Remember Ghost?)    One has to wonder why the brilliant CEOs of other companies (in any industry) haven't managed to figure this out.  They're just too busy looking at the next quarter's profits instead of the long-term reputation and quality of their products.