Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death Penilty In COS

2»

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by sharif

Originally posted by Isane

Well this is a perfect game for me and I still have a live EvE account and played DFO strange. The pure nature of this game sets it out from the rest as it is purely storyline driven, with all the niceties sat around your personal storyline.. You can complete what will be released as an initial chapter and then I understand you have completed the so called main storyline until another chapter is releasd.

I for one will love a community based game full of people who like toplay games and smaller group opportunities appeal to me as well as having solo and raid content that can be done (if you wish but not forced).

I think most of us want to try to play the COS in the developers vision. Some of us remember great games and communities in the good old days, I think COS has a good chance of emulating this.

But please don't crucify people for playing other MMOs it is a little selfish.

Sorry if i sounded selfish. What i meant by all that was lets not try and change COS, and that if you like raids and heart pounding PVP where you can loose everything you worked for then there are games for that also.

Understood and I agree, I will play what they develop .... adding more depth and content can never do harm. What I do like about this is that a lot of the event can be started and you can just explore as per the example on the site which means you could just mess about for ages enjoying the game.... Rather than a rat race , the core storyline is i think the same for all so it means its all about the journey and enjoying it rather than mindless power leveling.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Jatar

Have no fear, Citadel of Sorcery and the MMO Magic team will not compromise on our goals for this game.  We know we can't please everyone, but we believe that a new and fun kind of MMO game will attract a good portion of players, and that's all we want.  Well, that and to make a game WE all want to play :).   After all, besides being developers we enjoy playing games as well and would not have gone into this industry had we not. 
    We're often interested in what people like in a game to get an idea if there are people who will enjoy the way we are doing something, more than about changing it because one or two people complain or have another idea.   Our system for 'death' in the game is unique.  Not earth shaking perhaps, but different.  We believe it is a good system that fits the game play of our world.  In the most general of terms it has a pretty sever penalty for dying.  But that penalty does not cripple your character so you can get right back into the adventure without having to wait for some punishment to wear off.  On the other hand, you do lose something and the punishment lasts for some time.  Also, dying over and over increases the punishment.  This sounds harsh, but remember, no matter how many times you die your character isn't crippled. 
    On top of that there is a reward system in place to reward players for staying alive.  This is the carrot to death's axe.  We believe that the system will give players a sense of pride (and reward) for avoiding death, and give them something to protect.  When death happens they will stop gaining those rewards for a time, and take a loss.  Dying more will further delay those rewards. 
    Anyway, I'm dancing around giving you the details so I'm going to stop how.  But, when you play it we think a lot of people will like it, but being a very touchy and much argued area of game design (just look at that thread called DEATH!  blah blah in the Pub) there is no way we're going to please everyone.  But... that was inevitable.  We'll settle for pleasing a lot of people (hopefully).

I'm liking what I'm reading, consequences without crippling, am very interested to see how you decide to implement this.

And I wasn't suggesting earlier that COS should mirror EVE in anyway, was just disputing the point that people won't play a game because of its death penalty.  I for one most definitely will if there is some risk vs reward.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon