Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Episode Missions Explained

13»

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Does sound like they're starting out like LoTRO; release a set amount of content at start, then follow up with more 'seasons' as the game goes on.  I do agree that the amount at the start sounds a bit on the weak side and weither or not it's 63 hours of game time or not, I think a major problem game dev's have is understanding how fast players can burn through content. 

Money-wise it may make sense to limit your cash involvement until the revenue starts coming in, but retention-wise it's a killer.  Investing in atleast 3/4th of the game's content should buy you enough time to put out regular publishes without the all critical 'toss something out the door quick, they're getting ready to burn the house down' killer raising it's ugly head.

I like the fact that it stated most episodes won't have pre-req's which will allow us to play in what order we want.  Nothing worse than having a line at a spawn point 'kill 3, NEXT!'. 

Other good points:

- Not all episodes have to do with combat

- What sounds like an auto-save feature while doing the mission (stop where you want and start back up in that same spot).  I always hated the times in SWG when I'd plow through 99% of the mission and have to log right before the end to pick up the kids or eat dinner and then have to start back over from the start point when I got back to it.

I plan on playing, but I'll let everyone clear out of the starter area's and the inital bug fixes before starting my sub.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter