Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss eq1.ahh

2»

Comments

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Lansid

Now that you mention it... it was higher pitched wasn't it?

Yes and more clear, with less reverberating effects I think... I'm not too sure now.

• Originally posted by Gameloading

Another WoW ruined everything.
    You know those old mmorpgs where you had to level for years and spend days to organize your raids?

You know those new MMO, where no one talks to you, where no one can spell anything correctly, where people solo, where everyone is 11 years old, where people don't know how to play their class, where everyone is screaming in "vent", where loot is all that matters.........you know what.........THEY SUCK.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by OrangeJuices

Originally posted by Gameloading

You know those old mmorpgs where you had to level for years and spend days to organize your raids?

You know those new MMO, where no one talks to you, where no one can spell anything correctly, where people solo, where everyone is 11 years old, where people don't know how to play their class, where everyone is screaming in "vent", where loot is all that matters.........you know what.........THEY SUCK.

That was a good synopsis of new MMOs... sadly...

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

All kinds of silly stereotypes. People suddenly can't spell anymore and everybody is 11 years old? er no. Even surveys of WoW show that the average age is well over 20. I think people are much more capable at playing their class now then in old days as games have become more accessible.

Character progression has always been one of the primary motivations in MMORPGs.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

All kinds of silly stereotypes. People suddenly can't spell anymore and everybody is 11 years old? er no. Even surveys of WoW show that the average age is well over 20. I think people are much more capable at playing their class now then in old days as games have become more accessible.

Character progression has always been one of the primary motivations in MMORPGs.

I blame the "ur dum" speak to the age of cellphone texting, and all ages are guilty of this crap.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

You know those old mmorpgs where you had to level for years and spend days to organize your raids? These games still exist. Final Fantasy XI and Lineage 2, except now you probably wrote them off as grindfests because you aren't blinded by nostalgia.

I must just like grindfests, because I really liked Lineage 2 a lot also. I've gone back to it a few times... Darn you, now I am having a strange urge to go re-sub to two games instead of one.  

I probably would have liked FFXI except that the controls were a little too weird for me. I mean, it was easier for me to adapt to Shadowbane's controls, and those kinda sucked, so... Yeah, my several attempts to play FFXI were just frustrating. (I guess I should have made more macros. Alas, I am lazy.)

I like leveling, but I don't raid, so the faster the leveling is, the more unhappy I am, since it means I arrive at the "end game" too soon and have to start a new character. :( 

I am going to be in the minority, but as I see it, when WoW was released, it was essentially EQ. My impression of it over the 6 months I played was that it was a streamlined EQ with a horrid quest treadmill that I hated. Give me grind over having a storyline that I don't give a rat's fat bottom about shoved down my throat any day of any week of any month! The only story I am interested in is the one I tell about my own character's adventures or my guild's successes or spectacular failures in a group activity.

I'd say that EQ has developed some strategies since then that make it less tedious/more fun, perhaps partially  in response to the WoW phenomenon, but having played both, it seems to me that many of the changes are more in response to the changing population and  the demands of  the players.  

I really do prefer New EQ over Old EQ, and I was around for those days too. What's the point in holding people at low levels when there's hardly anyone there to play with? Why keep people in all those starter cities (and believe me, I love(d) Neriak and the old Freeport) when there are so few newbies that they won't even see another player for at least 20 levels if they are all spread out? That would be a sure way to scare off any legit newbies and make it really boring to play an alt without powerleveling. And then there are mercs-- they seem a natural response to lower populations and people crying all the time about how much time they spend LFG because they don't have essential classes. In the end, I think they've made the right call on almost everything, even if it seems to make the game "too easy" to vets.

I am iffy on easing of the death penalties, especially having played two corpse summoning classes, but how many people have you seen on these very forums railing against the death penalty and corpse retrieval, not even knowing the changes that have been made? I've been around here a long time, and there have been a lot of such complaints While some people like the stiffer penalties, I'd say it wasn't a popular feature with most ex-EQ players anymore than FFA PvP was a favorite feature of most UO players prior to changes to that system. (I liked the FFA PvP, and I wasn't a PKer, but I was clearly in the minority on that too.) 

This is where I draw the line: __________________.