Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The greatest threat to the future of mmorpgs is mmorpg.com forums

Every new mmo without  exception is destroyed in these forums by people with one vested interest or another game. sometimes there is a grain of truth in whats said but very ofthen its rumour or fanbois trying to protect thier game of choice . I found this site a few years ago because i was looking for mmo new . But then you look at the forums to see what a new games like . but its dawned on me this stie is like poison . i dont know how this can be changed but  it needs to be. We come on here because we love the mmo genre of games and i for one think they have a great future and i m sure the people that run this site think the same thing but rather than promote the genre these forums have become a place to destroy ithem  .its kind ve sad really because i ve tried most pay tp play games and not one of them is as dire as people in these forums would have you think they are .

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Sounds like every decently heard about title in the past forever.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Don't think these forums are going to change anytime soon.

Always keep in mind what a small percentage of mmo players check sites like this out. Most mmo players dont even post on the forums of their own game's website.

I wish things were more about discussion and information, and less about attack the game I don't like.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Don't think these forums are going to change anytime soon.
    Always keep in mind what a small percentage of mmo players check sites like this out. Most mmo players dont even post on the forums of their own game's website.
    I wish things were more about discussion and information, and less about attack the game I don't like.

But most of the game are in fact crappy (fact as in opnion of many)

check some of them out. again IMO that hate comes from the fact that developers continue to reslease games in bad shape.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

How is this site going to ruin MMORPGs? I don't get that at all. I seriously doubt most MMORPGers come to this site.

• pepsibottlepepsibottle Member Posts: 95

Ok, wait...

So it's not hacking, gold farmers, bugs, greedy companies, RMT, bad game design, lawsuits, addiction, grinding, MMO deaths, private servers or illegal copying that will kill MMO......

but it's some random forum where .0001% of the MMO players (who often don't even play MMO) voice their opinion who are the biggest threat to MMO?

Right....just checking. How's that kool-aid working out for you?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I heard if you are not careful, the MMORPG.com forums will steal your children...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556
    Originally posted by pepsibottle

Ok, wait...
    So it's not hacking, gold farmers, bugs, greedy companies, RMT, bad game design, lawsuits, addiction, grinding, MMO deaths, private servers or illegal copying that will kill MMO......
    but it's some random forum where .0001% of the MMO players (who often don't even play MMO) voice their opinion who are the biggest threat to MMO?

Cant make a better argument than this myself...

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224

Ok, wait...

Gold farmers would never ruin any MMORPG.

The only MMORPG gold farmers could ruin would be one with a real economy. There is no such thing. Not even close.

If you actually think about it, there is no difference between gold farmers sitting there farming gold for others, and real players sitting there farming gold for themselves.

In fact, there are probably 1000% more players farming gold for themselves more than there is korean gold in the market.

I didn't mean to get off-topic, but "Gold farmers ruin my game!!!11" players annoy me because they're so illogical.

I think it's just as stupid an idea, and I agree that they're a plague to MMORPG's... but certainly not any threat and definitely do not ruin the game at all.

Most game's so-called "economy" ruin themselves, mostly by the fact coin gainage is so drastically different at max level than it is at beginning level.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Caleveira

Ok, wait...

I believe the OP was refering to how the site may ruin the view of New Comers to the MMORPG genre, that come to this site for reviews and feedback.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by tro44_1
    I believe the OP was refering to how the site may ruin the view of New Comers to the MMORPG genre, that come to this site for reviews and feedback.

In that case I think we do far less damage than the in game communities themselves.

And that is bad community management.

People responding to 'n00b' questions in chat with abuse are far more damaging I think.

Recently saw a 'senior' player in Spellborn giving out very bad advice in the new player area and abusing new players including telling people to "STFU" and "Go back to WoW if you don't like it." 

So there is a game crying out for more players and an asshat in the new player zone making people feel unwelcome and giving them bad leads on how to develop their characters leading them to think the game was 'broken'?

It's stuff like that that does more damage than anything said here.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

Seems like the gig is up. Yes, MMORPG is nothing but a front, we really are a secret society of FPS console gamers that believe MMOs are ruining our genre. We have created this forums to destroy MMOs knowing full well the industry and the player base look upon us as elite power brokers whose whims decide the fate of all games. The reason WOW is so big is we do nothing but shower it love in this forums. Crab people are on it too, they run SOE.

Now that youve learned the truth we cant allow you to just walk away. Join us or else...

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by Gyrus

In that case I think we do far less damage than the in game communities themselves.

And that is bad community management.

People responding to 'n00b' questions in chat with abuse are far more damaging I think.

Recently saw a 'senior' player in Spellborn giving out very bad advice in the new player area and abusing new players including telling people to "STFU" and "Go back to WoW if you don't like it." 

So there is a game crying out for more players and an asshat in the new player zone making people feel unwelcome and giving them bad leads on how to develop their characters leading them to think the game was 'broken'?

It's stuff like that that does more damage than anything said here.

The truest statement ever made about MMOs and forums is that the 'fastest way to ruin your gaming experience is to read the forums' and that pretty much goes for ANY forums, not just these. And it doesn't have to be the new players either, give a veteran player a couple of flamers, trolls, and warnings/bans and they too will become jaded on the game they love.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

First mmorpg isn't even popular enough to destroy anything.  And most importantly you ultimately determine what you do and don't like just like everyone else does and just because you didn't dislike any game you played doesn't meen others don't have the right to dislike those same games.  Add to that some purchase games for specific advertised features that wind up not being included in game and the podium you stand upon get's slimmer.  Another news flash is that no single person,place,product or thing is ever going to be liked by every person who comes across it/them and again on a forum those people have every right to express that dislike just like those who like it have every right to sing it's praises and even more so where mmo's are concerned people who like the game will more than likely not spend too much time posting about it because alot of there free time will be spent actually playing the game.  Lot's of decent mmo's with robust communities but again most of the games that really don't have problems don't have active boards.  Eve online has very little traffic but a great number of posters here count it as the only game they play and I rarely see negative posts about it and the same goes for LOTRO not much commentary about it because those of us who play it enjoy it and play it.

Bottom line though is people who don't like whatever game they say have every right to come on these boards and complain about them just like you have every right to come here and complain about those people.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

Seems like the gig is up. Yes, MMORPG is nothing but a front, we really are a secret society of FPS console gamers that believe MMOs are ruining our genre. We have created this forums to destroy MMOs knowing full well the industry and the player base look upon us as elite power brokers whose whims decide the fate of all games. The reason WOW is so big is we do nothing but shower it love in this forums. Crab people are on it too, they run SOE.
    Now that youve learned the truth we cant allow you to just walk away. Join us or else...

lol.  I'm with the cult of FPS PC gamers that has enslaved your race for centuries but has recently lost control.  We are biding our time and we will rise and take control once again!

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

You are right about these forums being a threat.

Every time a flame bait is posted here, god nerfs a class in an mmo .

• AphamApham Member UncommonPosts: 99

I am so bitter. I need another mmorpg release quick so I can bash it!!!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

Forums anywhere can be negative, that’s just part of life. You do get game bashing, everyone loves their MMO and does not want to see its player base dented by new releases.

But you learn to spot those posts and stick with the informed comment, not that hard to do.

• PropheseusPropheseus Member UncommonPosts: 10

Try to act mature yourself and don't walk into flame baits. Ignore trolling and bashing and report people flaming at each other. Thats the way to keep a forum clean. For MMORPG.com there is no denying this will be hard seeing the amount of users and amount of threads on these forums. Also age is something that comes with it. How old and mature can people keep a discussion going.

I don't think this forum kills mmorpg's. If a mmorpg dies then it is only the fault of the developer/ producer. Mmorpg dies of too little accounts paying a monthly fee. If people resign their account because of a trollpost here instead of their own experience ingame then those people fail anyway. I don't think they exist even.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

Ok, wait...

exactly . while there are undeiable issues in almost every mmo if these forums were to be believed  almost non of them are playable .for instance i spent 5 months in age of conan and had a great time  if you were to read these forums you would think  its dire when its actually quite a lot of fun . . if you were to believe these forums lord of the rings is boring when its actually a very good pve mmo and has the strongest rpg elements in any fantasy game . Warhammer offers some great pvp . I dont think i ve played one really bad p2p mmo some have had shakey starts admitedly and perhaps they dont have the elements to make them the next world of warcraft but all of them have something to offer .

Forums like these arnt helping the genre one iota .

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by googajoob7

Ok, wait...

exactly . while there are undeiable issues in almost every mmo if these forums were to be believed  almost non of them are playable .for instance i spent 5 months in age of conan and had a great time  if you were to read these forums you would think  its dire when its actually quite a lot of fun . . if you were to believe these forums lord of the rings is boring when its actually a very good pve mmo and has the strongest rpg elements in any fantasy game . Warhammer offers some great pvp . I dont think i ve played one really bad p2p mmo some have had shakey starts admitedly and perhaps they dont have the elements to make them the next world of warcraft but all of them have something to offer .

Forums like these arnt helping the genre one iota .

I dont understand how this forum made 90% of the AoC players quit the game... When companies hype their games to heaven and then deliver unfinished games with missing/broken feauteres then there is no one to blame but themself.

I actually think this forum paints a pretty good picture about the quality of different MMOs, you just have to ignore the most extreme haters and fanboys.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

OMG!  A Dingo Ate My Baby!

• VanpryVanpry Member Posts: 152

I'd say it was idiot developers who have lost touch.

• Predator160Predator160 Member Posts: 128

I get what OP is trying to convey, but I disagree with what he said. The fact that a website forum could kill a genre of games is rediculous, but there is some truth here. There's a lot of negativity on these forums (I'm partly to blame)... and I know that before I try any new MMO I look on these forums (aswell as the game website) to get a glimpse of what the game is or will be like so I know if I want to spend my money. For instance, I looked forward to DF's release for years, but it got slayed on these forums so I didn't get Darkfall, and who knows maybe I would have ended up liking DF despite the haters? My point is (or OP's point) is these forums can negatively influence the gamers choice in what games to try out, maybe we should try to look at the bright side of an new upcoming MMO?  (or just try to ignore the bad side lol)

• a_namea_name Member Posts: 249

I agree that the forums are tough to get a good review from and since I'm feeling vocal I'll spit it out.

#1 Lots of posts here are put into the general discussion and not in the forum about them.

#2 Lots of posters raise their count by just making weak one liners.

#3 Way too many posters try to insult another poster by calling them names.

#4 Instead of reporting, ppl try to defend themselves like it's a schoolyard because they feel some sense of pride.

I visit plenty of forums and they don't all act like this. It's an anomaly to me why I'm still subbed here because the crowd has changed from what it was when I first came. Back then it was just a few rude folks that were easy to ignore, now it's exponentially grown. Here are some of the places I visit that never get so rowdy and they are just as big - these are their general forums. This is why I don't post daily and take breaks, I have to really want to say something at this point to login because the attitudes here have become so childish.

www.devmaster.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

www.webdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=10

forum.hackinthebox.org/viewforum.php?f=13

(This forum hides tons of subjects behind trusted user access, post some good things and you may end up in what's hidden from the public and the noise)

What we can do to improve it -

#1 Report someone breaking the rules, there must be the proper reaction to an action.

Don't feel like a narc or sorry when you do it, if they are insulting another person, not following the subject - stop letting it go. It's always the subject that can be picked apart, never the person. Take a hard line and stop letting ppl walk all over the place. The mods will get to deleting things if you give them a chance. As ppl learn that it's not acceptable here, they will stop. This is how the other forums keep their control - with the support of the visitors.

I'm not saying there should be no personality but when one person is a clown - it's a class clown.

When the whole class is a clown - it's clown college.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

Aion and Champs Online, what more can I say? And you a_name well you’re a name aren’t you!!! And I never said that, read the post will you?

Do you mean something as pointless as that? :)