Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for the perfect MMoRPG for me.

LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Hi all. I've been playing MMoRPGs on and off since around 2003. I started with Diablo 2, loved it and played it for about 2 years. Then I found Anarchy Online, which I then played for 2 years and have been coming back to it time from time. AO is by far the best MMo I've played, it has so much depth, character advancement, features, content etc. Especially when compared to the extremely simple MMos of today.What I also loved about AO is unlike other MMos I've played, the playtime from level 1 to max level is as fun and important as the end-game content, and it takes a long time to get to endgame(the max level is 220). There is as much content pre-endgame as there is end-game, so leveling isn't the only thing you do. It's mostly group based, but you could also solo if you wanted. The character advancement and customization is huge, as you level up you actually put points into your attributes/skills(there's about 70 atts/skills you can put points into). I could go on and on about how great AO is. Anyways.. I eventually quit because by 2008 the game was past its prime, it seemed like it was dieing to me. The population decreased atleast by 3/4 of it's total from around 2005, on my server anyway. I then played a bunch of F2P MMos, didn't like any of them. I also tried WoW for 3 months, despite everyone saying it was horrible. I actually enjoyed it, but I couldn't see that lasting long because of the lack of depth, a good or even decent community, and the lack of any group play. After that I found FFXI, and it was exactly what I was looking for. It was all group/community based, had a lot of content, a lot of players and a great community, among a lot of other stuff. I played it until this past summer, unfortunately they stopped accepting my debit card for some reason and due to that and horrible customer server I couldn't play anymore. I was also thinking of quitting FFXI because of how hard it is to find groups now. I've been playing EQ2 since then, but I'm already thinking about quitting.. It just feels like WoW with a good community. I was told there was grouping but it's exactly like WoW as you keep doing quests over and over again to level.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be specific in what I'm looking for. Basically, I'm looking for an open-ended MMo with depth, grouping, non-quest based leveling, a good community, a decent amount of people playing, etc. However, if you think a MMo is great but doesn't meet all the criteria feel free to suggest it. I'd prefer if they were P2P, since they're usually better than F2P. Also, if you can convince me EQ2 or WoW are different than what I think of them then I might consider playing one of them, but I'd still like other MMo recommendations. Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks in advance.

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

It's definitely not for everyone, but considering it's your first post maybe you do not know about EVE online. Please check it out if you have never tried it before. They have a free 14 day trial.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

You sound A LOT like me. Got into Diablo. Moved on to play AO for years.  Had to move on due to outdated graphics and server population. Played EQ3 and WoW to fill in that gap ( along with many other f2p and p2p mmos ) and now at that point. 

Since exiting Anarchy Online which I too dub as my favorite MMO of all time, I have yet to find an MMO that kept my interest. I want an open world that is not subject to instances everything ( EQ2 and AoC ). I got a 14 day free trial of Fallen Earth. 1 Server, open world, and hella interesting. So far I haven't even done the typical "theme park" play and have spent the entire week just killing low level mobs and harvesting for tradeskill items, and believe me there are a lot of crafting to do. Best part of crafting is you can collect/buy all your stuff, set up all the stuff you want to make, and just go back out and kill more stuff or quest. It's all on a system that makes everything real time even when your logged out, so no need to sit there and watch everything level up.

The game is set in a post apocalyptic world, which is nicely set up. Lots of open space and towns that look like they were just thrown up with scrap metal and nails. So far the community I have seen is very great and helpful, especially to those with bug issues like glitched spawning as a newbie and bugged skills.

The game is set up as a sandbox mmo but also sports a themed part approach for those just wanting to progress their character level wise. Personally I feel this is the sleeper hit of the year and cannot wait to see what the future holds for this title and the community.

Hope this helps.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• bigdaddysfebigdaddysfe Member Posts: 89

I did what you did with the FFXI route. I have Ultimate Collection on preorder for the 10th. At worst, I am out 20 bucks, but the game was some old-school fun for me that was lacking.

To fit the time in between now and then, I started the 14 day trial for Vanguard. I had heard all the terrible launch and anti-Sony remarks over the 2 1/2 + years it has been out and it was never something that was high on my "to play" list. I'm really glad I gave it a shot though. The 3-in-1 game system is fun. I play for hours at a time not killing 1 monster, just doing crafting and diplomacy. The quests are fun and I would actually read all the dialogue written. The week I joined was considered the worst bug wise in over a year, but it did not seem too bad. I was glad to stay on the starter island(Isle of Dawn) for a couple more days to get all the quests done and level up my other skills with abundant mining spots and materials. They got the problem of being able to leave fixed in about a day or 2 and now everyone can come and go. I liked it so much, I subscribed. When you subscribe you are supposed to get these things called Gnomish Rocket Boots when you upgrade form a trial by using the /claim command. I was pretty surprised to instead find you get a legendary item instead. You pick from 3 really powerful bags that help you out alot.

The downside of the game is that since the population is low, the game is pretty quiet. I was in a main elf starter city and I was pretty sure I was the only one there. In fact I walked the whole island on this one continent without seeing another person. If you do end up playing this game, I would suggest looking up info about the guilds via these or other forums or making a network with the people that are in the Isle of Dawn that you start with. You will see them for at least a couple days so it's a good chance to try it out. I never play EQ or EQ2, but so many people say it the successor to those games. I'm not sure about that, but it might be something to give a try to.

Either way, hope you find a game that suits what you are looking for.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Yeah, well, FFXIV comes out in a year- I seriously think that's what you're looking for. But what to play until then? I wouldn't even bother with the current MMO's frankly. You'll find a WoW-clone from all of them- so you'll be bored in no time =/.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

I would also recommend Vanguard: Saga of Heros. It's a wide open world that isn't instanced off and to me has some the nicest graphics of any mmo to date....minus the water detail. The sky is photo-realistic and is probably the best and the rest of the enviroment is a perfect example of how to make a game world.

Never did subscribe to it though. Heard to many stories of the game being dead population wise. Plus I never did like the character models:(

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Thanks a bunch guys. I've decided I'm gunna follow xeno's and bigdaddy's advice and try out Vanguard. Just watched a few videos and it looks great, although I'm a bit worried about the population, I'll try it out. I also watched a few videos of Fallen Earth and got really hyped about it, but then I found out there's no free trial. :/ I might consider buying it, but I really feel the need to try out MMos before buying them. As for EVE, I really can't see my self liking it from what I've heard. Thanks again all, can't wait to start Vanguard. Still open to suggestions, btw.

• AbalisAbalis Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by LotosSlayer

Thanks a bunch guys. I've decided I'm gunna follow xeno's and bigdaddy's advice and try out Vanguard. Just watched a few videos and it looks great, although I'm a bit worried about the population, I'll try it out. I also watched a few videos of Fallen Earth and got really hyped about it, but then I found out there's no free trial. :/ I might consider buying it, but I really feel the need to try out MMos before buying them. As for EVE, I really can't see my self liking it from what I've heard. Thanks again all, can't wait to start Vanguard. Still open to suggestions, btw.

Like the others said, there's no way to get around the population issue...at least for now.  If more people play it, of course it will improve.  In the meantime, there are several things you can do to help alleviate that sense of "I'm all alone in the world."  First, of course, is to be proactive.  People are friendly and helpful ingame, but they like to get to know you a bit before jumping into a group.  Send a tell, that sort of thing (not saying you need to give them a biography).  I hear from a lot of people who are turned off by random invites and they won't group when that happens. :p But yes, be proactive.  Network.  Don't be a wallflower.  Find and join a nice, helpful guild that will group with you.  Mentoring is in, so if they only have high-level toons that won't be an issue. :p Bring a friend or two, or make friends with others in-game, and follow-up with them.  Advertise in chat that you're looking for a group, and use the Social window ("O" key).

The world is massive and seamless, and there are three continents.  People can go in any direction and aren't funneled (as with zones) from Point A to Point B and contained in boxes...no set linear path means people are going to spread out.  Add in fully-controllable flying mounts and player ships, and people can not only spread out over the landmasses but can spread out over the ocean and into the skies.  I think, even if the game's servers were close to bursting, you might still get that sense of an "empty" world. :p Not to say, when I play, that I don't run across people in the wilderness; I do, but people aren't jumping out of the trees. ^^

Also, server makes a huge difference.  For now, Seradon and Xeth are the most populated servers you'll find.  Anyway, gl to you in your search. :)