Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eurogamer's thoughts on STO

ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-trek-online-eg-expo-hands-on

"Trekkies can put one fear to rest right now: Star Trek Online feels just like Star Trek. From the 10-minute demo available on the Eurogamer Expo show floor, it's difficult to learn all that much about the mechanics and structure of this licensed MMO (you can read more about these in our recent preview and interview). But it's immediately apparent that developer Cryptic has nailed the unmistakable flavour of faintly cheesy, high-minded, planet-hopping science-fiction with a straight face and a glint in its eye - with an equal love of politics, philosophy and punch-ups"

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

oh man, I'm really getting excited for this game.

Thank you very much for this little bit of good news.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by ktanner3

it's difficult to learn all that much about the mechanics and structure of this licensed MMO 

Well, I can see they clearly know what they are talking about... or maybe not.

A 10 minute demo proves very little. It doesn't prove the game feels like Star Trek. It only proves that atleast ten minutes of the game which the developers allowed to be released feels like Star Trek to some guys in europe who are being paid to promote the game. As for the other 500 hours you will spend preforming repetitive missions to max out your character, who knows?

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Cecropia

oh man, I'm really getting excited for this game.

Same here.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

LOL. Sorry tho. But here we go again. People never ever learn and deserve to be scammed this way.

Cryptic hasn't showed anything. Just some pretty screenies and some combat only videos and now this very limited demo.

And again... people are already completely over-hyping themselves to a point that they inevitably end up being severely dissapointed.

Good luck.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

LOL. Sorry tho. But here we go again. People never ever learn and deserve to be scammed this way.
    Cryptic hasn't showed anything. Just some pretty screenies and some combat only videos and now this very limited demo.
    And again... people are already completely over-hyping themselves to a point that they inevitably end up being severely dissapointed.
    Good luck.

I really hope you are wrong about the over-hyping and disapointment.  I would like to see Cryptic do it right.  Alas, I plan on spending my dollars to play the "free" time on it.  If I get wrapped up in it, then I will pay the monthly fees.  If not, it's money down the drain.

This old trekkie is hoping for the best, but expecting very little.

Originally posted by kzaske

I really hope you are wrong about the over-hyping and disapointment. 
    This old trekkie is hoping for the best, but expecting very little.

Yeah, same here...

Guys like Ktanner just don't get it. Us "haters" don't WANT the game to fail. We WANT it to be good. We would be happy to be proven wrong for a change.

We just don't expect it.

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

BS, I was at the eurogamer expo in london, there were about 20 computers with Star trek online, and the game was bloody piss poor.Speaking to alot of the peopel playing there, they were also in agreement the game felt terrible.    Cryptic have lost their marbles personally I think, the space comabt was shit, the ships were moving at snails pace, the land comabt quests were a joke.  LOL february the 2nd for release.  Cryptic must be living on cloud fairy land.   Just makes me wounder how this company could have got such a huge IP such as Star rek.

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by Demz2

BS, I was at the eurogamer expo in london, there were about 20 computers with Star trek online, and the game was bloody piss poor.Speaking to alot of the peopel playing there, they were also in agreement the game felt terrible.    Cryptic have lost their marbles personally I think, the space comabt was shit, the ships were moving at snails pace, the land comabt quests were a joke.  LOL february the 2nd for release.  Cryptic must be living on cloud fairy land.   Just makes me wounder how this company could have got such a huge IP such as Star rek.

I rather believe Eurogamer with their critical comments on every MMORPG launched these past 2 years than a member of mmorpg.com.

LOL.  Either way, I was there and I spoke to alot of people there playing it, and the general consensus was it was piss poor and no way ready for  a 3 month launch date.  I really dont care what you chose to believe.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Well the big worry is that it's Cryptic ... but I'll put a little bit of hope for this game, due to the sheer amount of positive press (granted it could be paid for).

Regardless, why does everyone forget about the perpetual crap that happened to this...and that the game has been floating for many years <_<  Just odd everyone thinks it was dev'd overnight...

Originally posted by Yauchy

Regardless, why does everyone forget about the perpetual crap that happened to this...and that the game has been floating for many years <_<  Just odd everyone thinks it was dev'd overnight...

All the development which was done by Perpetual was thrown in the trash when Cryptic took over the game so that they could start fresh using the game engine they recycled from Champions Online.

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

Want proof this article is TRASH and fluff:

Here ya go (direct from article)

"Space combat isn't EVE Online - although your weapons do lock on, they have limited fire arcs, and there are no autopilot options. The focus is on physically manoeuvring your ship to keep your enemies within optimum firing range while manually firing weapons and keeping an eye on power balance" (if you need me to explain, that pretty much is EVE's combat)

(notice the typo, dude cant even spell check an article...)

I play all ghame

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

The comment under one of the screenshots on page 2 was a little worrying

"One text-box in the demo had telltale 360 A and B button prompts - but the console version is unconfirmed as yet."

I'm not a big fan of console mmo ports to PC, and having the button prompts in already (over the PC ones) does tend to make me think they made it for the console first and are now finishing the port back to PC... But I hope not.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

I'll believe it when I see it.  (soon it would appear)

Its a game made by Cryptic and have yet to build I game that I found to be fun over the long haul.

Perhaps this one will break the pattern.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Really like it if Cryptic would finally make a game that is well made instead of some random crap they just fill in with. Some of the content looks good but i'm not holding my breath on STO being a quality MMO.

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

ship classes = standard tactics = boring gameplay = fail.  where are the mmog's for peopels who want use their brains?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by brezel

ship classes = standard tactics = boring gameplay = fail.  where are the mmog's for peopels who want use their brains?

clearly not at Cryptic

• wilson1225wilson1225 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Player_420

"Space combat isn't EVE Online - although your weapons do lock on, they have limited fire arcs, and there are no autopilot options. The focus is on physically manoeuvring your ship to keep your enemies within optimum firing range while manually firing weapons and keeping an eye on power balance" (if you need me to explain, that pretty much is EVE's combat)

Want proof player_420 is an idiot?  There's no typo in the quote from the article.  Dude can't even google manoeuvring.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by wilson1225

Originally posted by Player_420

Want proof player_420 is an idiot?  There's no typo in the quote from the article.  Dude can't even google manoeuvring.

Regardless, I think it's reaching to say that the article is a sham just because there might be a typo.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Raltar

Yeah, same here...
    Guys like Ktanner just don't get it. Us "haters" don't WANT the game to fail. We WANT it to be good. We would be happy to be proven wrong for a change.
    We just don't expect it.

I don't expect it, either. I also don't intend to give Cryptic any of my money until I see otherwise. Those who do are just encouraging more shoddy MMO releases.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Label_ThisLabel_This Member Posts: 171

It already looks unimpressive. Bah, atleast SOE didn't get hold of the license!

I'll buy the game but i doubt i will last longer than 1 month

Why are there so many cutesie, fantasy, childish MMO's. Give me blood, gore and a long lasting challenge. I don't need my hand being held along the way. Thanks.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by ktanner3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-trek-online-eg-expo-hands-on
    "Trekkies can put one fear to rest right now: Star Trek Online feels just like Star Trek. From the 10-minute demo available on the Eurogamer Expo show floor, it's difficult to learn all that much about the mechanics and structure of this licensed MMO (you can read more about these in our recent preview and interview). But it's immediately apparent that developer Cryptic has nailed the unmistakable flavour of faintly cheesy, high-minded, planet-hopping science-fiction with a straight face and a glint in its eye - with an equal love of politics, philosophy and punch-ups"

In view of the fact Eurogamer is mostly spot on and very critical... it is promissing.

Perhaps Cryptic used CO to gather much needed resources to invest in the real game of ST.

Timing of launch is perfect : they have at least 3 months without any competition.

They don't seem to be spot on with this one to me. So far the only mission thats been talked about was a diplomacy mission ..........sounds Star Trek'ish at first glance until you hear the details of that diplomatic mission. Kill the discovered species, kill the Klingons, destroy the newly discovered species base, destroy the Klingons ships lol.

Star Trek diplomacy at it's finest huh?

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Well it might be to the better there are so many doubting Tom's, that way expectations aren't off the charts.  If cryptic can deliver a game that has the Star trek atmosphere and is fun, everyone will be happy in the end.  Better than either promising the moon (or trying half -ass to cover every aspect or play style) and not delivering the expected product in my opinion.

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

Again, people should not judge a game until it is actually released.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

"I don't expect it, either. I also don't intend to give Cryptic any of my money until I see otherwise. Those who do are just encouraging more shoddy MMO releases."

LOL MMO doubter if everyone did that how would we know if the game was good or not?  I surely wouldn't take anyones word on this forum lol!  As we all have different desires and expectations the only way to see if the game is any good is to try it out.