Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible? Remake a simplified DAoC in a FPS engine like Crysis or Unreal?

Could it be possible to create a Crysis mod (or any other game mod) using these graphics and maps, and then create (or use) DAoC style models, and make it an instant-jump-in action FPS-RPG?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3187124#3187124

1) Join Server

2) Pick Realm (Midgard, Hibernia, Albion)

3) Pick Race (stats, or maybe a % to ability)

4) Pick Class (skills)

That's it. There is no equipment, no stats or items. All things are imbedded into the race/class choices.

For simplicity, you could simply make it where each class is automatically assigned a race. (Wouldnt be as cool though.)

You could also start out with a VERY simple setup.

Midgard: Warrior, Runemaster, Healer

Hibernia: Hero, Eldritch, Druid

Albion: Armsman, Wizard, Cleric

Then just add in classes later.

In essence, you could balance classes more easily by making them almost identical. (Warrior/Hero/Armsman are same, Wizard/Eldritch/Runemaster are same, etc. etc.)

Then later versify it with the hybrid classes (Champion / Thane / Paladin & Theurgist / Animist / Bonedancer)

Make it play very simply (Each class has [x] attacks, make it more action-based and less turn based)

basically- it would be DAoC without all the crap. Balanced sides, balanced numbers (server cap divided by 3) and EVERYONE has the same armor/weapons (no twinks!) and [realm] same abilities. It's "jump in and play DAoC" or even better if it's more action-based twitch combat.

Sure a lot of slow-paced DAoC players would hate it... but if you gave it that "Camelot feel" then thousands would LOVE it!

Is it possible to do that? A combat system similar to DDO or Darkfall- but in an FPS engine (Crysis, Unreal, etc.)?

The point of the game could be "Capture the Keep" where one side in the server owns the keep. There could even be BOTS in the game in the keep just like DAoC.

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Though it is possible to do what you're asking... I don't see why it isn't... the people that talk fondly about DAoC will never go for this.  The whole point of DAoC was it's 3 reams and the differences they had.  You didn't look like the other guy.  Some things were similar like the casters having bolt spells but the hybrids they had were plenty different.  A paladin was unique to Albion.  A Thane was unique to Midgard, and remember Animists?  Your idea is reducing that to nothing more then a FPS style game where you'd feel no identity toward the character you play.  

Then closest I can think of right now that would appeal to what you're asking for is the game Savage 2.  Go check it out.  I think it offers some if not a lot of the things you're asking for.  Give it a look see, you might like what you find.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by Illius

Though it is possible to do what you're asking... I don't see why it isn't... the people that talk fondly about DAoC will never go for this.  The whole point of DAoC was it's 3 reams and the differences they had.  You didn't look like the other guy.  Some things were similar like the casters having bolt spells but the hybrids they had were plenty different.  A paladin was unique to Albion.  A Thane was unique to Midgard, and remember Animists?  Your idea is reducing that to nothing more then a FPS style game where you'd feel no identity toward the character you play.  
    Then closest I can think of right now that would appeal to what you're asking for is the game Savage 2.  Go check it out.  I think it offers some if not a lot of the things you're asking for.  Give it a look see, you might like what you find.

1) This doesn't at all take away the uniqueness of all three realms. Nor the unique parts of the classes. You must have read it wrong. Please re-read with uniqueness in mind.

2) When a game developer asks "How hard would it be to make a mod for Crysis [like this]?" with the interest of  making a game you do not suggest other games to play citing "If you want that, try playing Savage 2!" This isn't about what games I want to play. Having fun making and having fun playing are two very different things.

3) This isn't to appeal to the minority DAoC following, but to create something fun that has the "Camelot feel". Taking away items, levels, and static character saves doesn't not take away uniqueness. Making Warriors/Armsmen/Heros almost identical does not take away the other classes uniqueness (Thane, Paladin, Champion). Making Eldritch/Wizard/Runemaster the same with bolts does not take away the other magic classes from having pets instead of bolts. Reread please.

What players loved about DAoC is not just the uniqueness, but the "realm pride", the keep battles, the 1v1v1 three realms, and the art style. Animations and graphics alone could give a feel for both Albion/Hibernia/Midgard and uniqueness of all three realms- even if they were exactly the same.

The idea of simplification and balance was just a forethought to make the game simpler to make before adding in more detail later. Making 3 classes with different models, animations, and colors is a lot easier than making 9 classes. People could enjoy the game more if the developer first focused on pumping out unique classes in addition to a core mechanic that retaints balance.

Balance is much easier achieved when all three realms all have a Tank, Wizard, and Healer which are all the same, and THEN have perhaps 3 other unique classes after that. (for a total of 12 classes; 3 basic and 3 uniques per realm)

Also, in DAoC some of the classes are not very different at all. The Armsman, Hero, and Warrior are barely any different. In fact... the only difference are perhaps ONE ability. The types of armor/weapons they use would be purely aesthetic in a game where equipment doesn't exist.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

yes its possible, many mmorpgs today use FPS engines. The question is really then, is it realistic? if you are talking about an indy group or mod team, then no. If mythic decides to remake DAOC and license the unreal engine, then sure.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

The combat is definitely possible. Look at some of the mods already out like Age of Chivalry for Half Life 2.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by nickelpat

The combat is definitely possible. Look at some of the mods already out like Age of Chivalry for Half Life 2.

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

yes its possible, many mmorpgs today use FPS engines. The question is really then, is it realistic? if you are talking about an indy group or mod team, then no. If mythic decides to remake DAOC and license the unreal engine, then sure.

Okay... so which is it?

Impossible for an mod team- or completely possible?

These are two exact opposite answers.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

If you wanna see how the real game would look like on cryengine 2 there's a person who's been messing around and has made some decent stuff, should be able to find link on the news section on the games page.

Originally posted by Angelof2070

Okay... so which is it?

The mods mentioned by nicklepat are merely fps mods. They face eachother on a map, two sides, duking it out.  This is a mod working off an existing engine, scripted simply.

In order to add the mmorpg element into the mix, you suddenly lose the "simplicity" (not to say its simple) of it. You have to understand there is a difference between modding and actually buying the license to an engine and building an mmorpg from it.  Remember there is scripting involved, math, systems set up, dynamic gameplay to be added... the project is just too much. Mods take work that has already been done and tweak it (though adding their own assets at times), something like an mmorpg would not be just a simple "tweaking", unless you are modding an existing mmorpg with similar mechanics. That is unlikely.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

1) This doesn't at all take away the uniqueness of all three realms. Nor the unique parts of the classes. You must have read it wrong. Please re-read with uniqueness in mind.

2) When a game developer asks "How hard would it be to make a mod for Crysis [like this]?" with the interest of  making a game you do not suggest other games to play citing "If you want that, try playing Savage 2!" This isn't about what games I want to play. Having fun making and having fun playing are two very different things.

3) This isn't to appeal to the minority DAoC following, but to create something fun that has the "Camelot feel". Taking away items, levels, and static character saves doesn't not take away uniqueness. Making Warriors/Armsmen/Heros almost identical does not take away the other classes uniqueness (Thane, Paladin, Champion). Making Eldritch/Wizard/Runemaster the same with bolts does not take away the other magic classes from having pets instead of bolts. Reread please.

What players loved about DAoC is not just the uniqueness, but the "realm pride", the keep battles, the 1v1v1 three realms, and the art style. Animations and graphics alone could give a feel for both Albion/Hibernia/Midgard and uniqueness of all three realms- even if they were exactly the same.

The idea of simplification and balance was just a forethought to make the game simpler to make before adding in more detail later. Making 3 classes with different models, animations, and colors is a lot easier than making 9 classes. People could enjoy the game more if the developer first focused on pumping out unique classes in addition to a core mechanic that retaints balance.

Balance is much easier achieved when all three realms all have a Tank, Wizard, and Healer which are all the same, and THEN have perhaps 3 other unique classes after that. (for a total of 12 classes; 3 basic and 3 uniques per realm)

Also, in DAoC some of the classes are not very different at all. The Armsman, Hero, and Warrior are barely any different. In fact... the only difference are perhaps ONE ability. The types of armor/weapons they use would be purely aesthetic in a game where equipment doesn't exist.

You are completely mistaken about what appealed the most about DAOC to me, and I suspect many others.

The game felt like a world, we battled for control of Darkness Falls, (or on Mordred, to maintain control of our guilds keep) and I enjoyed the crafting elements and dependencies, leveling up characters, fighting up through various dungeons.

You seem fixated on improving the graphics, the least important element to the game for me.

I wouldn't play what you've proposed, regardless how possible it is to create it.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Okay... so which is it?

The mods mentioned by nicklepat are merely fps mods. They face eachother on a map, two sides, duking it out.  This is a mod working off an existing engine, scripted simply.

In order to add the mmorpg element into the mix, you suddenly lose the "simplicity" (not to say its simple) of it. You have to understand there is a difference between modding and actually buying the license to an engine and building an mmorpg from it.  Remember there is scripting involved, math, systems set up, dynamic gameplay to be added... the project is just too much. Mods take work that has already been done and tweak it (though adding their own assets at times), something like an mmorpg would not be just a simple "tweaking", unless you are modding an existing mmorpg with similar mechanics. That is unlikely.

I thought that's what he was saying:

Pick a class

Pick a side

Duke it out

Now, if I may point these out:

There is an HL2 mod I'm working on (as a graphics artist) called Modular Combat. It is released and works fine. The mod allows you to choose one of three sides and playing like an MMO almost, your character is saved to the server, name, the customization, and the level and stats and skills. As you level up, (either by killing the other faction or AI monsters) you can get new skills, stats, and perks. It's really neat actually. You can check it out here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/modular-combat

Now, if you would take that, which allows you to upgrade and level like an MMO, then add some Age of Chivalry features, like the medieval combat and ability to jump from server to server.

We end up with a medieval game in a DAOC like universe, where your character levels up and stats save on a master server, although you play matches across many other servers. So that stats are saved from all battles. With this you are able to buy new gear and skills. With the SOURCE engine, this would be possible I believe. If the master server isn't possible you would have to do what Modular Combat does, where it is just saved to the servers.

---
    ---

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Okay... so which is it?

What are you talking about???

No one is talking about taking Crysis and making an MMORPG.

We're talking about making a ( max server pop / 3 ) server where 3 teams fight each other, and instead of choosing "Spy, Engineer, Heavy Weapons Guy, Pyro, Scout" you're choosing "Warrior, Knight, Wizard", making it 3rd person instead of 1st person,  and making most things melee or targetted ranged instead of mouse aim + gun.

No items. No equipment. No levels. Simple mathematics (compared to MMORPG's).

By the sound of it, it appears you think I'm asking "Can we make DAoC using the crysis engine?" instead of the real question "Can we make a mod with a "DAoC" feel that plays in 3rd person kindof like DDO?"

Originally posted by Kyleran

You are completely mistaken about what appealed the most about DAOC to me, and I suspect many others.

The game felt like a world, we battled for control of Darkness Falls, (or on Mordred, to maintain control of our guilds keep) and I enjoyed the crafting elements and dependencies, leveling up characters, fighting up through various dungeons.

You seem fixated on improving the graphics, the least important element to the game for me.

I wouldn't play what you've proposed, regardless how possible it is to create it.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

As I stated in that first sentence, "This isn't to appeal to the minority DAoC following."

Crafting is definitely a minority. It almost always is in every MMORPG. Most people play for adventure, not crafting.

The game would no longer by a world, but you would still battle for control over Keeps. That the main thing people have and still do battle over in DAoC.

In fact, a lot of people play solely for Thidranki and the Battlegrounds.

This is about improving the graphics, but it is also about things regular DAoC battlegrounds will never do (and suffer because of it) which is Balanced Populations in the battlegrounds, the abolishment of twinks (every MMORPG has those to varying degrees), and the ability to "Jump In" and find instant action as opposed to the normal DAoC of waiting forever, traveling forever, and spending 80% of your time preparing or moving towards actions, not actually fighting.

If that means scaring off DAoC veteran fanboys in favor of a new crowd or old DAoC players (back in pre-ToA days) then by all means, please have no interested in the mod.

Ironically, I can almost guarantee you that if someone were able to make a DAoC-like game on the Crysis engine, even if it was void of mmorpg parts and was basically just an instanced battleground with a predetermined (balanced) population- thousands of DAoC players would still enjoy it.

Imagine if you could take out Warsong Gulch from WoW and make a Crysis mod that is exactly like Warsong Gulch, with all the WoW classes- but all at perma-lvl 19, no equipment or potions, no crafting mods- and each class/race was at a set stat, hp, and power. You know how many WoW players would LOVE that?

A balanced, twinkless, purely based on skill, but still all the classes WoW Warsong Gulch mod for an amazing graphical game like Crysis? Sure people might complain "There is only one pet type for Hunters, even if you can change pet models!" or "Where are my 2000hp heal bandages and twink potions?!" but the majority of people would be like "OMG, it's WoW but I can play instantly and dont have to grind, there's no twinks, and the graphics are AMAZING!"

Of course, if you think roaming NF for 4 hours getting in only 4 fights, dying 8 times by the zerg is fun- by all means continue to play DAoC.

If you think playing Thidranki in a battle where there are 45 midgards, 30 hibernias, and only 10 Albions- by all means go ahead.

Often that is all DAoC is (I dont know if the recent merge changed things) but battlegrounds often consisted of one side rolling over everyone because of sheer numbers- another side being able to compete against that side outnumbered, or a third side which was so lacking in population that they couldn't actually fight either side, but had to roam around looking for small groups apart from the main force.

Talk about boring!

Also, anything done after ToA would be in the minority, as most players left after that, and eventually the game became dead (as it is now.) You could argue it's still not dead... but the server merging into one and the consistent loss of players is obviously proof enough to dismiss your argument. DAoC is nothing like it was in its glory days.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

wait wait wait,

So you dont want a MMORPG

but instead a MMOAFG-((Massive Mutiplayer Online Arena Fighting Game)) ?

Okay... so which is it?

I thought that's what he was saying:

Pick a class

Pick a side

Duke it out

Now, if I may point these out:

There is an HL2 mod I'm working on (as a graphics artist) called Modular Combat. It is released and works fine. The mod allows you to choose one of three sides and playing like an MMO almost, your character is saved to the server, name, the customization, and the level and stats and skills. As you level up, (either by killing the other faction or AI monsters) you can get new skills, stats, and perks. It's really neat actually. You can check it out here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/modular-combat

Now, if you would take that, which allows you to upgrade and level like an MMO, then add some Age of Chivalry features, like the medieval combat and ability to jump from server to server.

We end up with a medieval game in a DAOC like universe, where your character levels up and stats save on a master server, although you play matches across many other servers. So that stats are saved from all battles. With this you are able to buy new gear and skills. With the SOURCE engine, this would be possible I believe. If the master server isn't possible you would have to do what Modular Combat does, where it is just saved to the servers.

Thank you so much.

You were the only one to actually read correctly and understand what the idea was.

And thank you for showing me that not only is it possible, but that other people have already done many similar things, and I'd actually just be taking from several other mods and adding a daoc "feel" to it.

Originally posted by tro44_1

wait wait wait,
    So you dont want a MMORPG
    but instead a MMOAFG-((Massive Mutiplayer Online Arena Fighting Game)) ?

It's not massively multiplayer at all.

Unless Crysis can hold more than 64 players O.o

It was my understanding that most FPS game's servers can only handle 32 players, sometimes 64.

This would mean it would be a 10v10v10 or 21v21v21 player games.

Certainly not massively multiplayer, unless you DID have items, gear, skills, and levels based on a server-save type experience point system. I actually DONT want that- as I want it to be casual friendly.

So basically I think it would be fun to have a Camelot/Norse/Celtic Arena Fighting Game with maps, models, classes, and animations which bring back nostalgia from DAoC.

Okay... so which is it?

We're talking about making a ( max server pop / 3 ) server where 3 teams fight each other, and instead of choosing "Spy, Engineer, Heavy Weapons Guy, Pyro, Scout" you're choosing "Warrior, Knight, Wizard", making it 3rd person instead of 1st person,  and making most things melee or targetted ranged instead of mouse aim + gun.

By the sound of it, it appears you think I'm asking "Can we make DAoC using the crysis engine?" instead of the real question "Can we make a mod with a "DAoC" feel that plays in 3rd person kindof like DDO?"

I am in part confused because I did not think you meant merely a mod that ripped of something like team fortress or unreal tournaments assault mode. What would make it Daoc? Just the name of the sides? It is just, from my perspective such an obvious and no offense but "noob" question that I didnt actually think you meant that. What would be the point of such a mod if others exist already exactly like what you mentioned?

Furthermore, why ask this on a MMORPG focused website?

Okay... so which is it?

I am in part confused because I did not think you meant merely a mod that ripped of something like team fortress or unreal tournaments assault mode. What would make it Daoc? Just the name of the sides? It is just, from my perspective such an obvious and no offense but "noob" question that I didnt actually think you meant that. What would be the point of such a mod if others exist already exactly like what you mentioned?

Furthermore, why ask this on a MMORPG focused website?

Do you want me to goto other websites solely just to ask a simple question which many gamers probably already know?

If one day you took out the Thidranki instance battleground, 10 level 24 players, stripped them of all their gear and gave them all the same gear (Plate for tanks, Cloth for wizards, npc store-bought gear) and then that was the entire game- do you think it would be any less DAoC?

Thidranki is a map.

Battleground is an instance completely separate from the rest of the world.

Max level is 24.

All same gear, except Armor Class %.

Turned off XP and turned off RPs.

What would be the difference if it played exactly the same?

Would it be any less DAoC? Most Thidranki players would agree it would be the same.

Now, upgrade the graphics to Crysis. Upgrade the spell affects, animations, etc.

The fun part of DAoC without the boring grind, without the unfair unbalanced populations, without twinks, newbs (lvl 20-23's), and a completely balanced, fair, INSTANT-action fight.

It might change if you add a mini-map, give everyone Radar, change the auto-attack to click-to-attack, and take away one or two abilities (or keep them... whatever...)

You may not be able to release it with all classes if you want to release it when it's "done" or you could wait and add ALL the classes, or at least the original ones.

It may not encompass everything about DAoC, but it would definitely be a BETTER (in every way you wanted) version of DAoC's Thidranki instance.

Do you want me to goto other websites solely just to ask a simple question which many gamers probably already know?

If one day you took out the Thidranki instance battleground, 10 level 24 players, stripped them of all their gear and gave them all the same gear (Plate for tanks, Cloth for wizards, npc store-bought gear) and then that was the entire game- do you think it would be any less DAoC?

Thidranki is a map.

Battleground is an instance completely separate from the rest of the world.

Max level is 24.

All same gear, except Armor Class %.

Turned off XP and turned off RPs.

What would be the difference if it played exactly the same?

Would it be any less DAoC? Most Thidranki players would agree it would be the same.

Now, upgrade the graphics to Crysis. Upgrade the spell affects, animations, etc.

The fun part of DAoC without the boring grind, without the unfair unbalanced populations, without twinks, newbs (lvl 20-23's), and a completely balanced, fair, INSTANT-action fight.

It might change if you add a mini-map, give everyone Radar, change the auto-attack to click-to-attack, and take away one or two abilities (or keep them... whatever...)

You may not be able to release it with all classes if you want to release it when it's "done" or you could wait and add ALL the classes, or at least the original ones.

It may not encompass everything about DAoC, but it would definitely be a BETTER (in every way you wanted) version of DAoC's Thidranki instance.

No. the fun part about DAOC is that it is a mmorpg, not a fps high fantasy counter strike game. The mechanics you want are already used with unreal tournament as well as half life 1-2. All you are suggesting is changing the art assets to be DAOC themed. Nothing more. Do you understand what you are asking? Art assets are anything you want them to be. If the mechanics already exist, then your answer is already answered. If you do not want a mmorpg, then why post here and not request a mod on mod-db or one of unreals websites (forums). If you are asking if someone can take DAOC art assets and convert them into unreal, then unless you want a bunch of low poly models... the artist would have to recreate them. It would still not be DAOC nor DAOC like you hope. It is very hard to get the same experience when switching engines and going indy/modding.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

You could do it but a huge amount of work. The play style could be tweaked, to include hotbar powers but without point and click auto attack. AoC had the feel of a hybrid combat system in that way.

Originally posted by Scot

You could do it but a huge amount of work. The play style could be tweaked, to include hotbar powers but without point and click auto attack. AoC had the feel of a hybrid combat system in that way.

It actually wouldn't be quite that much work if you can borrow code from the two mods I mentioned, Modular Combat and Age of Chivalry for their upgrade systems and factions systems and AoCs combat and class systems. Remodel everything with a DAOC theme, get everything to play nice and tweak it (this would take quite a bit), and release. But the big systems (the three factions, upgrades, medieval theme, skills are in ModCom too, you can summon creatures so the code is even there for that) are all done, you'd just have to get them all together.

---
    ---

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Go play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

/end thread.

And don't for get to Fight Against Grenade Spam!

h

ttp://www.themodernwarfare2.com/

If you're not building a character, there's no real need for persistence. Just log in, fight, fight, fight. log out till your fingers recover, then log in again, fight, fight, fight.

Sure it's fun, but it's not a good model for an MMORPG IMO.

Maybe for an alternate server, like the FFA PvP servers, you could get a maxed toon server where you log on with a maxed toon and just fight.

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

/end thread.
    h
    If you're not building a character, there's no real need for persistence. Just log in, fight, fight, fight. log out till your fingers recover, then log in again, fight, fight, fight.
    Maybe for an alternate server, like the FFA PvP servers, you could get a maxed toon server where you log on with a maxed toon and just fight.

Two things,

The thread is about a medieval mod based around DAOC. Not some overhyped new game.

Secondly, yes, it is pretty much an FPS. I don't know what people aren't understanding. From what I understand the OP is talking about a third-person shooter in the DAOC universe.

---
    ---

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

/end thread.
    h

Two things,

The thread is about a medieval mod based around DAOC. Not some overhyped new game that lacks basic things like dedicated servers.

Secondly, yes, it is pretty much an FPS. I don't know what people aren't understanding. From what I understand the OP is talking about a third-person shooter in the DAOC universe.

You could probably mod an FPS game to look like DAoC.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

I would definalty give it a go, maybe my old Armsman could nick the 'punting' power from WAR tanks though, for some extra fun? :)