Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free weekend is a bit of a fiasco

Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Launcher crashing, patcher incredibly slow and crashing, crashing at the character screen.

Third weekend in a row of server down times and errors stopping play.

Any of you guys sign up for the weekend? Did things go well so far?

I'm used to not even trying to play CO on weekends now, but this can't be good PR for the game.

Comments

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by Die_Scream

Launcher crashing, patcher incredibly slow and crashing, crashing at the character screen.
    Third weekend in a row of server down times and errors stopping play.
    Any of you guys sign up for the weekend? Did things go well so far?
    I'm used to not even trying to play CO on weekends now, but this can't be good PR for the game.

They also did it on a weekend of an STO playtest.  Do the two share a launcher?  Anyway, seems Cryptic put a lot of stress on their download launcher.  People trying to download for the playtest and for the free weekend.  Crazy!

• subbobsubbob Member Posts: 36

My son and I are both in this category. We saw the free weekend announcement and were eager to try it out.  We've spent all of today attempting to download the game without much success.

I understand server load issues, but it certainly makes me wonder that if they can't manage this, how well can they manage day to day operations?

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

I played it quite a bit this weekend and didn't have any crashing. Some rubberbanding, but that's it. Fun game, but I won't go out and buy it. Characters don't feel very super heroish and some of the power sets flat out suck.

• BukiyuBukiyu Member Posts: 2

I have to agree, when I saw the announcement I decide to try the game. I went to the website and download the client 2 days before oct 30 when the free weekend start, but the client didn't patch until the 30 and it was soooooo slow that I quit.

Those who love you or want to be with you, they will do it for who you are and not for what they want you to be.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

You would expect a company, after an Open Beta, Headstart and Launch, that they would get the hang of this and able to cope with high loads.

I guess that doesn't apply for Cryptic.

• SauronasSauronas Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by trix

<Mod Edit>

I agree.  The only thing roper ever did right was Diablo 1 and that was over a decade ago.  He's a deuche.  DC Universe will be better anyways.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Sauronas

<Mod Edit>

I agree.  The only thing roper ever did right was Diablo 1 and that was over a decade ago.  He's a deuche.  DC Universe will be better anyways.

That's why I am still baffled. Even today. Why in earth they hired that idiot at Cryptic.

He ran Flagship Studios completely into the ground by miss-management.

And now, he will run Cryptic Studios into the ground by miss-management.

This guy is just a total dissaster!

But like it is with guys like Brad McQuaid, Richard Garriott and Bill Roper. They once were in charge of a great game. Became some sort of legend.

And we all know what happens to these so called legends with their super inflated egoes.

Brad McQuaid blew it with Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

Richard Garriott blew it with Tabula Rasa.

Bill Roper blew it with Hellgate: London (and now again with Champions Online ... prolly STO next after that).

Cheers

• trixtrix Member UncommonPosts: 66

Haha don't forget to buy your special autographed lifetime subscription for all of billropers games that close within the first yr

LOL L2's new advertisement is wonderful..... 
    Take a step back in time and relive the original Lineage II experience as it was in the beginning. Create a classic hero from the original 5 races and 31 class options and jump into the nostalgic hardcore level grind where the rewards can outweigh the risks. It's your chance to experience the game the way it was when "hardcore" meant something!
  • AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by Sauronas

<Mod Edit>

That's why I am still baffled. Even today. Why in earth they hired that idiot at Cryptic.

He ran Flagship Studios completely into the ground by miss-management.

And now, he will run Cryptic Studios into the ground by miss-management.

This guy is just a total dissaster!

But like it is with guys like Brad McQuaid, Richard Garriott and Bill Roper. They once were in charge of a great game. Became some sort of legend.

And we all know what happens to these so called legends with their super inflated egoes.

Brad McQuaid blew it with Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

Richard Garriott blew it with Tabula Rasa.

Bill Roper blew it with Hellgate: London (and now again with Champions Online ... prolly STO next after that).

Cheers

used to game with some people who worked for roper an claimed he was a great boss.an part of what happened to hellgate wasnt his fault .just like what he inherited with co .theory atm why they hired him?simple if /when co goes wrong they got a scape goat.

garriott if court papers are right was done wrong by ncsoft.an the brad well during vanguard he had a breakdown.all three would be guilty of overhyping product.front men have to have a bit of a ego . your not gona listen to a shy quite type push a mmo.

funny people are forgeting about jack whoes the real lead at cryptic.hes the one in intreviews claimeing co was cox2 an corecting some of their mistakes their.funny your laying co mistakes on roper an not jack.most of co developelnt was done before roper was hired.

wonder if co is lighter a few employies after last weeks problems?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• involutioninvolution Member UncommonPosts: 6

The fixation on (botched) events is too much of a coincidence across Hellgate and CO not to be blamed on Roper. Events were the early PR death in Hellgate because they only added cosmetics and a whole lot of unbearable lag, plus endless spam of idiotic consumables in the stash (candy, whatnot) -- not to mention the drain of creative resources that could have been better focused on the core game. There was even a Bloodmoon thingy in Hellgate (a sort of hidden achievement that was not well implemented), so the feeling I have with CO is that Roper has fixations he carries around with him and has a huge say on these high-profile matters, whether he be in charge of design or not. So I am still of the opinion that if CO's boat sinks it will be because of Roper's decisions.