Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sound off on my review

2»

Comments

• boutchboutch Member Posts: 37

First I agree with Tymora.

Second I think Neas right about the topic going the wrong way, but i wanted to express myself about Crock's last post.

1- I do give to charity

2- I do have more money then most mmorpg gamers, im an engineer (i dont wanna sound selfish, it just shows im probably older then most of you)

3- Stanzas are working fine, they are changing cost and a few details on patch 1, but they are working as intended. I found them fun and usefull, you can make an action that is customize to your playing.

4- Yeah they are action mmorpg and non-action RPG (and mmorpg). Ex : Diablo is an action RPG, FF series, NWN and morrowind are not pure action oriented RPG.

• NeasNeas Member Posts: 887

Originally posted by boutch
    Second I think Neas right about the topic going the wrong way, but i wanted to express myself about Crock's last post.
    1- I do give to charity
    2- I do have more money then most mmorpg gamers, im an engineer (i dont wanna sound selfish, it just shows im probably older then most of you)
    3- Stanzas are working fine, they are changing cost and a few details on patch 1, but they are working as intended. I found them fun and usefull, you can make an action that is customize to your playing.
    4- Yeah they are action mmorpg and non-action RPG (and mmorpg). Ex : Diablo is an action RPG, FF series, NWN and morrowind are not pure action oriented RPG.

wrong answer boutch you basically posting saying... "Yea we should stop but only after i have the last argument"

See my point... be the better man and you shouldve backed down. My post didnt argue. Yours did and thus is worse than normally arguing. You shouldve just said ijm stopping this discussion now. But saying im stopping right now after i post another argument is childish.

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European

Hehe Neas, your totally right. But I wasnt arguing with you anymore...

I gotta admit im really stuborn and i always want the last argument, however this is not childish and it helped me make my place in a very competitive domain.

Anyway return to the topic now :P

• crockcrock Member Posts: 556

1- I do give to charity
    4- Yeah they are action mmorpg and non-action RPG (and mmorpg). Ex : Diablo is an action RPG, FF series, NWN and morrowind are not pure action oriented RPG.

ok
    try some warriors skills
    i tested it on ppl b4 canceling
    example hit head
    yes that does hit head... most ppl have armor on but not helm
    so if u hit nacked head armor must be ignored...dont work..armor is not ignored
    or useless skill like aimed hit..wich has 75% of succes....the same 75% has overdamage
    the list can be long...

i didnt reported it..im not beta tester for released games
    just canceled
    i have played enough mmorpgs to know how long it will take to make this game enjoyble

and im not an engineer...i do not charity

::::01::

Hehe Neas, your totally right. But I wasnt arguing with you anymore...
    I gotta admit im really stuborn and i always want the last argument, however this is not childish and it helped me make my place in a very competitive domain.
    Anyway return to the topic now :P

now just dont argue after his post and itll be fine :), your just going in circles anyways :P. Otherwise the admin gonna be pissed.

Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European

• flynnkdflynnkd Member UncommonPosts: 25

You are a small person Neas.

Originally posted by flynnkd
    You are a small person Neas.

why thank you. No back to the little hole you climbed out of... go on 'off with ya.

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049

Originally posted by flynnkd

I didnt agree with the overall opinion of the game you stated, because I like it on an intuitive level possibly more than you did. So I would have been not so critical. We are all different :-)

No argument there.  The review does have a number of facts, but the less tangible aspects are pure opinion, so take them for what they are worth.

This doesnt change the problems the game has with content as you stated. However I think a statement that the game lacked content could possibly have been done with a little better comparison to what game has EVER had content at launch. I have played more than 8 MMORPG of various sorts at launch or shortly after, and in my opinion SoR has made a very good launch effort.

There are games that have had content at launch and there are games that have been content-poor at launch.  Regardless, what other games have or haven't done has little bearing on Ryzom, at least in this regard.  Waiting a month or two to add content and essential fixes only hurts the charter gamers, as their free initial month is spent chasing down bugs and tolerating gaps in the game.  This is not exclusive to TSoR.  As I said in the review, it seems to have become the status quo among most MMORPGs.  This is a trend I want to see reversed.

Did you group during your play time, or join a guild? I found my game experience changed quite a lot after I got into a regular group of people via my guild. Mobs that were unapproachable became good experience, whole new areas of the game opened up and were fascinating. A run I did with 20 others to get from one homeland to another was extremely exciting, even tho we all died.

I did group many times, but did not join a guild.  There is only so much a reviewer can do in the limited time he has to play and pen the review.  In retrospect I should have at least joined a guild for the experience, but I just couldn't do everything.  It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

And as pointed out, there are several named mobs I have already encountered, Destroyer Bodoc, Skoff, Orca, and a few others I cant recall. Plus I have seen on some of the more advanced guilds websites pictures of named mobs in the Prime Roots (although I am lead to believe a lot of these are yet to be implemented properly).

This has been pointed out to me by a number of people.  I did mention the named beasts in the PR, but I was unaware of the named mobs in the regular gameworld.  I stand corrected on that point.

SoR has potential, and for that I am willing to give it some time, others may not. But I dont think you can make a valid decision until you have tried the game yourself. I suspect SOR will be a love it or leave it game for many. Love it for me :-)

-----
    You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

MMORPG.com Staff

-----

Old timer.

Great review but you know patch 1 is coming on the 3 (in 2 days)? why not have wait to write a review of the game with content ? maybe its a deadline from mmorpg.com.

The review was written at this time because this is a newly released game and potential players are looking for information.  If the game is available and the company is charging for it, it's fair game for a review.  Patch 1 may be coming in a week from now, but I started playing well over a month ago and finished the review last week.  It's just not practical to wait for patch after patch until THE patch is released than finally delivers what should have been delivered at launch.  That having been said, the developers deserve credit for working to fix the problems and deserve a new review after a time.  We will likely revisit Ryzom within 6 months to a year, which should be ample time for it to stabilize and have content added.

Anyway, fair review for the first month, we will see if patch 1 fixes some of the issus in 2 days. I think it could be a great idea to write another review or just a "add-on" to the review, so people know what has been change and if the game is more complete.

I may do that, but Nevrax has already announced that Patch 2 will be released 4-5 weeks after patch 1.  It may be better to wait until patch 2 is released.  We'll have to see.

-----

MMORPG.com Staff

-----

Old timer.

Originally posted by Tymora

I thought your review was very fair and well written, koltrane.  After playing Saga of Ryzom myself, through closed and open beta, and since release of the final, I have had a good time with it. 

I have encountered the disappearing NPC bug, among many others, but none that were "show-stoppers", critical enough to prevent me from playing.  I have only a certain amount of patience for games that are released prematurely, as imcomplete, buggy products.  My limit has not yet been reached with SoR, but it is getting there . . .

My goal as a reviewer is to point out the good points and the bad points as I see them.  Whether certain things are "show-stoppers" is really subjective to the individual player.  My criticism there was directed more toward the fact that this and other significant bugs are still in the game even after an extended beta and a month + of general release.

The points made about the lack of early game content, the lack of named mobs, the somewhat unsatisfying loot after quartering, I agree with them all. 

I happen to like the fact that Ryzom is more of a "realistic" mmorpg.  I use that term loosely as there is not much about Ryzom that is realistic, but what i mean is that things are reasonable.  I don't like finding coins and a dagger on an animal I just killed.  I like how Ryzom presents the gamworld and I think it will only improve.

You are not the only one who feels this way.  I have spoken to people who like the idea that killing a beast yields nothing but parts of that beast.  I agree as well, somewhat, as I said in the review.  I see Atys as a great framework of a MMORPG, just waiting to be filled with content.  If Nevrax just fixes a few bugs an adds some decent content, they'll have a winner for sure image

As far as the bugs, I hope they will be fixed, I know many have been addressed already, but the point you made about these games coming out, charging people to play them, etc. and how they should be subject to criticism is right on the money.  I agree with another poster that a re-visit to Ryzom in the future would be a good thing, but for a first review, yours was the most accurate I've read so far.

Thank you for the nice compliments, Tymora, and I hope you continue to enjoy your time in TSoR.

-----

MMORPG.com Staff

-----

Old timer.

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

I’m one of the people who threw a fit over the gamespot review. As this post started out as a sort of response to the reaction to reviews I feel I should give my opinion about this one. Personally I found it to be very fair and accurate (the way reviews should be). It didn’t focus on only the good, nor did it focus on only the bad. It talked about both. Personally after reading this review I can see myself coming here to read reviews on other games.

• LuckystrikeLuckystrike Member Posts: 22

I see Atys as a great framework of a MMORPG, just waiting to be filled with content.  If Nevrax just fixes a few bugs an adds some decent content, they'll have a winner for sure image

That just about sums up Ryzom at the moment. Maybe you should have just written that as the review and spent the rest of the day in the pub :-)

Call me Legion, for we are many...

Call me Legion, for we are many...

• maboroshimaboroshi Member Posts: 47

You may want to revisit Ryzom now that it's had it's first "Story" patch - the game has changed significantly.  Your review is now based on an earlier, more enjoyable version of the game.  They've changed it to slow down the players that were progressing faster than their storyline projections allowed.  Unfortunately, playing is now prohibitively difficult, and not much fun.

• InyarInyar Member Posts: 157

Blahblahblah im complaining, im so frustrated about everything, im gonna log to all forums and bitch...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major patch today : They are fixing harvesting and fighting, those were the only problem with patch 1.

The game is still fun and the new problems were fixed in 2 days... and people are bitching the devs.

--------------------------------------------
    When a country like France decides not to support the coalition, we (USians, im not using Americans because people from America are American) renames French Fries and empties bottles of red in the sink! It takes a supra-intelligent brain to think of that...

Greg Gaffin

Originally posted by Inyar
    Blahblahblah im complaining, im so frustrated about everything, im gonna log to all forums and bitch...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Major patch today : They are fixing harvesting and fighting, those were the only problem with patch 1.
    The game is still fun and the new problems were fixed in 2 days... and people are bitching the devs.--------------------------------------------
    When a country like France decides not to support the coalition, we (USians, im not using Americans because people from America are American) renames French Fries and empties bottles of red in the sink! It takes a supra-intelligent brain to think of that...Greg Gaffin

its the fact that they tested this Patch BEFORE taking it to the main server. Things like this AREN'T professionally speaking supposed to happen. Its just taking the piss im sorry but it is.

Its an insult to a paying customer to do such ass-whipe things as slowing down lvling and experiencing even MORE.

They have little brains that they believe making it uber hard so people only get to lvl 250 in 8 years will work, itll just kill the game. I dub ryzom Horizons 2.

Im so amazed at Neas and Crock.... i dont know why but they are always the first to complain about ryzom when both of them cancelled their subscription a while ago...

They post in every topic about ryzom, bitching the game. Im here to counter ballanced their effect :P

"Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft European
    Truly Loved: World of Warcraft"

What are you currently playing ? you look like your playing betas not to pay for the game... and your probaly going to play WoW... just another fanboi, frustrated that Ryzom is not like WoW. But that is not able to realize how Nevrax is the opposite of Blizzard, SOE, and the likes.

Crock... Look at his avatar... just another one looking into flaming and trying to get flamed.

When a country like France decides not to support the coalition, we (USians, im not using Americans because people from America are American) renames French Fries and empties bottles of red in the sink! It takes a supra-intelligent brain to think of that...

Greg Gaffin

• MoraxMorax Member Posts: 59

I wanted SoR to be a good game, and gave them the benefit of the doubt they could pull it off.  Patch one was originally suppose to be 2 weeks after release.  It turned out to be more like 6 weeks and still didnt fix the major problems with the game.   I bailed when i saw another Horizon in the making.  I think they took the scripts from David Bowman on how to lie and make a bad MMORPG.

Well I know its hard to take criticism of a game your playing.  No one wants to think they are wasting their time on a empty MMORPG.  No matter how bug filled and empty that game may be, there will be advid fans of the game.  If someone truly enjoys SoR, then I would encourage them to play as much as possible before the go bankrupt.

Its okay... i was like you at one time.

Believe it or not i played Sor... Beta tested for 9 months. for the last 3 of that i didnt play that much.
    During that time i was a staunch defender of everything ryzom...

Things change, i eventually realised that ryzom is run by an inexperienced developer and that Wanadoo dropped them for a good reason, they just didnt have enough experience/power to pull it off. (Wanadoo dropped them in december last year... for undisclosed reasons).

I liked Ryzom, then through several balancing patches which made gameplay extremely difficult/boring/mundane and the severe content or the planning to implement it .... i mean christ they had 6-10 months to make some content and all you subscribers get was some cookie cutter computer generated 1 day-made pap. Seriously ryzoms path to release has been borked with many failings im surprised even the 2000 subsribers even pay (2000 for 4 servers).

I was a staunch defender of ryzom... not anymore. The website owner Daishan of www.worldofryzom.com also left ryzom because the game became bad... not what we had originally been sold. Everyone had been sold on hype for things that weren't even in the game yet. Thats bad practice. Its LIEING.

Ive seen countless people leave... over 99.5% of the people leave. And still people are leaving, still the first UBER patch was plagued with childish problems... I mean they had an internal test and a seperate test server. The feedback was NOT to release to the public. So what do they do, do they delay the releas to main server? No they just blatantly ignore the test server and wham it on the main. Now they have to alter it as the entire population is gonna riot if they don't. Does this sound like a developer who cares?, Does this sounds like a capable developer?. Seriously they should be acting professionally, not this beta testing pap we are getting now. No content for the first 1.5months, first patch marred with problems. Release marred with problems.

Sor is only good at one thing... Making a lot of problems that shouldn't realitistically be a problem. Im sure most games dont spend 4 months tweaking the exp rate/mob damage.... SoR Does.

Dont decide from me, just try the trial yourself and decide yourself.

Originally posted by Inyar
    Im so amazed at Neas and Crock.... i dont know why but they are always the first to complain about ryzom when both of them cancelled their subscription a while ago...
    They post in every topic about ryzom, bitching the game. Im here to counter ballanced their effect :P

"Beta Tested: Lineage 2, Ryzom, City of Heroes, RYL, EverQuest 2 World Of Warcraft EuropeanTruly Loved: World of Warcraft"
    What are you currently playing ? you look like your playing betas not to pay for the game... and your probaly going to play WoW... just another fanboi, frustrated that Ryzom is not like WoW. But that is not able to realize how Nevrax is the opposite of Blizzard, SOE, and the likes.
    Crock... Look at his avatar... just another one looking into flaming and trying to get flamed.--------------------------------------------When a country like France decides not to support the coalition, we (USians, im not using Americans because people from America are American) renames French Fries and empties bottles of red in the sink! It takes a supra-intelligent brain to think of that...
    Greg Gaffin

They say a picture says a thousand words my friend. What images are in my signature?

Mainly ryzom and some WoW, that showed that i liked ryzom that i did like it alot at one point. I like it how you quote my text signature but not mention the images from Ryzom in it also?

A little bit biased methinks, but hey whatever floats your boat i say. Eventually you will get dissillussioned with SoR as i have. Give it time, Give it time.

Ignoring Neas And Crock is winning :P

"Beta tested for 9 months. for the last 3 of that i didnt play that much."  Ok so you dont know nothing about patch 1, and how the game is right now.

"2000 subsribers even pay (2000 for 4 servers)."

That one is really funny, there are more then 2000 on the french and german servers.

Greg Gaffin