Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese company bans opposite gender playing

''Aurora Technology over in China has apparently decided to cut out the middleman in the equation -- they're banning any male players who play female characters, requiring players to confirm their gender via webcam in order to enforce the ruling.''

''Aurora is a subsidiary of Shanda, a company responsible for publishing Aion and Dungeons and Dragons Online in the region, which are names slightly more familiar to players on this side of the pond.''

Source : www.massively.com/2009/10/27/chinese-company-bans-gender-bending/

Pretty extreme if you ask me. For those of you males who like playing as female chars, you would be sorely out of luck in China.

Comments

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

I've never heard of such a brutal and shocking injustice that I cared so little about!

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

HAHA! wow that's just crazy!

That is taking things to the extreme if you ask me.  They must think Aion is the freaking matrix or something.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

LOL!    

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by NeverLand7

''Aurora Technology over in China has apparently decided to cut out the middleman in the equation -- they're banning any male players who play female characters, requiring players to confirm their gender via webcam in order to enforce the ruling.''
    This clearly presents an unfair advantage to transvestites.

''Aurora is a subsidiary of Shanda, a company responsible for publishing Aion and Dungeons and Dragons Online in the region, which are names slightly more familiar to players on this side of the pond.''

Source : www.massively.com/2009/10/27/chinese-company-bans-gender-bending/

Pretty extreme if you ask me. For those of you males who like playing as female chars, you would be sorely out of luck in China.

LOL. Shenanigans!

"Be the first to buy your Blood Elf makeup kit!"

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

Yay!

Sorta...

I really hate it when a guy plays a girl.

It's creepy...

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

Originally posted by Ibluerate

Yay!
    Sorta...
    It's creepy...

Someone's had a nasty surprise in the past.

Not wise to make dates in an MMO.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Yay!
    Sorta...
    It's creepy...

No, I just like it when someone playing a character with Ta Ta's actually has Ta Ta's.

I believe whoever smelt it, dealt it, applies here.

What was your terrible online dating experience?

• hades302hades302 Member Posts: 61

Yay!

Sorta...

I really hate it when a human plays an elf.

It's creepy...

Originally posted by hades302

Yay!
    Sorta...
    It's creepy...

What...?

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

you dont like males playing females? i guess the whole 'role-playing hgame' concept elludes you.

on topic, im not surprised. china is a shit hole. not only are they turning their own country into a pile of concrete, but they have no problems abusing the privacy of its people.

Like conan o'brian once joked on his late night show. on china he had to say: " China: if you're gonna get arrested, might as well be for no reason." Right he was.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

Makes you think one of their execs was too much into cyber and just finished watching M Butterfly...

On the serious side this is another worrysome trend we see emerge in China. I dont see any other rationale for this but homophobia. I will quit any game that enforces this even though i dont usually play female chars myself. Discrimination is something we should take seriously, aside from the fact that this would mostly inconveniences people who play female characters for other legitimate reasons. Yea, even "i dont like staring at a guys behind" seems perfectly legit to me.

Whats their problem if someone gets their rocks off playing dress up with their virtual barbie? As long as they dont incovenience or harrass any other players whatever someone does in a game is perfectly alright. Enforcing morality standards in videogames is plain stupid as well as useless... Like you couldnt get around their system anyway...

Edit; Im a lawyer irl, dont want to be stuck playing undead in WOW...

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

It's much better this way, so now when you sexually harass a female character you know shes a female.

Or now when you want to sexual fantasize about that female character that looks 13 you won't get disturbed thinking she may be played by a guy.

Originally posted by Toquio3

you dont like males playing females? i guess the whole 'role-playing hgame' concept elludes you.
    on topic, im not surprised. china is a shit hole. not only are they turning their own country into a pile of concrete, but they have no problems abusing the privacy of its people.
    Like conan o'brian once joked on his late night show. on china he had to say: " China: if you're gonna get arrested, might as well be for no reason." Right he was.

China is a communist country. There is no right to privacy there.

Originally posted by Caleveira

Makes you think one of their execs was too much into cyber and just finished watching M Butterfly...
    On the serious side this is another worrysome trend we see emerge in China. I dont see any other rationale for this but homophobia. I will quit any game that enforces this even though i dont usually play female chars myself. Discrimination is something we should take seriously, aside from the fact that this would mostly inconveniences people who play female characters for other legitimate reasons. Yea, even "i dont like staring at a guys behind" seems perfectly legit to me.
    Whats their problem if someone gets their rocks off playing dress up with their virtual barbie? As long as they dont incovenience or harrass any other players whatever someone does in a game is perfectly alright. Enforcing morality standards in videogames is plain stupid as well as useless... Like you couldnt get around their system anyway...

Exactly.

"MOM! come stand in front of this webcam for a sec!"

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by hades302

Yay!
    Sorta...
    It's creepy...

I'm short IRL so I could probably get away with a dwarf... or anything with a real ugly character model...

Originally posted by GreenChaos

It's much better this way, so now when you sexually harass a female character you know shes a female.
    Or now when you want to sexual fantasize about that female character that looks 13 you won't get disturbed thinking she may be played by a guy.

I lol'd

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Ibluerate Yay!
    Sorta...
    It's creepy...

So, how much loot did you give "her" in order to make "her" like you?

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Caleveira

Edit; Im a lawyer irl, dont want to be stuck playing undead in WOW...

If they'll quite happily run you over in a main battle tank, what makes you think they care about your privacy?

• clikclik Member Posts: 68

Guess all the creepy nerds that fantasize over meeting a woman through an avatar will be happy.

• rothbardrothbard Member Posts: 248

Um, in case you missed it in the OP, it is a private company that is enforcing the policy in its own games.  It has nothing to do with "China".  Someone saying no dudes playing chicks in our game has nothing to do with "China" abusing the privacy of "its" citizens.

Originally posted by ChrisMattern

Yay!

Sorta...

It's creepy...

So, how much loot did you give "her" in order to make "her" like you?

Actually I ganked her and took the loot from her.

Originally posted by clik

Guess all the creepy nerds that fantasize over meeting a woman through an avatar will be happy.

Yes :')

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Ibluerate Yay!
    Sorta...
    It's creepy...

No, I just like it when someone playing a character with Ta Ta's actually has Ta Ta's.

That's right! And someone playing a character with a beard should actually have a beard! And someone playing a character with a Battle Axe should actually have a Battle Axe! And someone playing a character with full plate mail should actually have...

Uh, hold on, wait...

Originally posted by rothbard

Um, in case you missed it in the OP, it is a private company that is enforcing the policy in its own games.  It has nothing to do with "China".  Someone saying no dudes playing chicks in our game has nothing to do with "China" abusing the privacy of "its" citizens.

It doesnt matter, this crap would only happen in countries like china.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

All this will do is encourage women to make male characters.  I know a few of them already that do, simply because they don't want nerd #12323023 bothering them.  Believe it or not, not all women are looking for some shut-in to cyber with.