Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizons, where art thou?

Oh, how I long for a faction-based PvP game with many factions. When I first heard of this game, visions of playing as a demon, fighting angels swam in my mind. I longed to play a vampire and fight.. whatever their counter faction was. When half of the races were cut before launch, I can't describe the tremendous amount of disappointment I felt. It seems to me that since Dark Age of Camelot, no company has tried to make a multifaction PvP MMORPG, or even a MMOFPS for that matter; where there are inherently "good" factions and inherently "bad" factions, and a multitude in between to keep things in check.

When I first played Age of Conan I joined the Bane server, which was described as a Cultural Server. The idea was that there were 3 races you could be. I envisioned Stygians fighting against whatever the other two races were as those two races fought amonst themselves. Alliances could have been born. It would have been very entertaining to see the power struggles and politics that would have ensued. But guilds begain inviting all the races, totally defeating the purpose. Not being able to attack your own race soon turned into an exploitable mechanic and things just got worse from there.

When I first heard of Fallen Earth, I thought maybe it would apply, but alas, the factions are blending as they did on the Bane server and I am left here without an option. I would love to see a developer do something similar to the original vision of Horizons. Some other games that would be good candidates for this type of gameplay would be Galactic Civilizations, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, or Sid Meir's Civiliation. World of Darkness sounds like it might fit the description. Time will tell.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Comments

• StalePopcornStalePopcorn Member Posts: 4

Yes, the game certainly did have a serious change of focus "back in the day". The result is a completely different Istaria, but on the other hand it attracts a completely different gamer. You won't find l33t playerz on Istaria, because there is no pwning. What you will find are a diverse group of gamers who just want to have fun, whether by crafting or adventuring. The new high-level areas are fantastic with some serious boss mobs now. They hurt :)

The super-heroes MMORPG (City of Heroes/Villains?) is probably as close as you'll get to good vs evil.