Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this a MMO and P2P ?

Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

It's Simcity on steroid, why would i pay a monthly fee for a Simcity game ?

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

You don't have to.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Yea, you can play the single player and get the sim city on steroids.  Just without the chat box.

• jonyakjonyak Member Posts: 320

or mass transit, or any downloadable content, or trading, or....

• rr2realrr2real Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Aguitha

because they're going to consistently release new content

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118

It's really not Sim City on steroids. Sim City 4 was a complete game when it was released and EA didn't expect people to cough up money every month for basic things like mass transit and region play. Cities XL is a massive step backward from SC4.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Does it have ongoing content,updates?That is the difference between a single player game and a MMO,that and the fact it needs servers to run,they are not free.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Does it have ongoing content,updates?That is the difference between a single player game and a MMO,that and the fact it needs servers to run,they are not free.

Sim City doesn't need those things because they provided an amazing core game and let the community make mods for the rest and EA didn't make us pay some BS monthly fee to provide the good core game in the first place.

• RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

I don't mind the multiplayer part, but I don't see why anyone would let themselves be cheated out of their money by actually paying for a subscription.

I mean the MMO community wants innovative and fun games, but at the same time we don't want to be ripped off by greedy companies.

Originally posted by RendRegen

I mean the MMO community wants innovative and fun games, but at the same time we don't want to be ripped off by greedy companies.

Exactly. The only reason there is a "MMO" aspect to this game is to give Monte Cristo a reason to charge people money every month. There is no innovation here and the city builder genre as an MMO is a horrible idea. They are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and hoping nobody notices the unabashed greed.

The same thing happened with Hellgate: London and we all know how things turned out for that game.

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

Just noticed last night that they adde the Blueprints back in.  Curious to know if they actually made any changes to the blueprint system,or if its the same pointless time-sink that it was in beta.  We told them that, in its original state, it offered no real mmo gameplay, as it didn't create any competition, and barely encouraged cooperation.  The blueprints were given out much too frequently, were not rare (every city could build the eiffel tower!!!), weren't earned through any action of the player, and were often easy enough to build alone.  They only had minor/inconsequential effects on your city, and did nothing for your neighbors, and trading them was ridiculous (there was no slot in the trading menu for them, it was on your honor...oh, and you could trade interplanetary!). 

We suggested changes through beta, and eventually they turned the blueprints off....but never said what "improvements" they were going to make.  Considering MC's track record with the development of this, and other, games I'm guessing they just relaunched the exact same boring design.

Can any currrent players comment?

Also, I'm curious if the community team (Philippe, Gregory, Micheal) are running any special Halloween events.  Events were a big deal for me (I had a large thread on the old forums with suggestions, and ran the first two events in beta), and I talked with Gregory about them quite a bit.  They always said they would be doing things to keep the game lively....yet, I haven't seen any mention of a Halloween event.

Again, any curren players that can comment?