Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So the games been out going on 2 weeks...

2»

Comments

• KhaunsharKhaunshar Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by fiontar

There are many serious flaws in the core game design.
    The most serious is the way in which the game experience completely changes the further behind the leveling curve you are. I was lucky to stay near the leading edge of that curve for most of the first two weeks and was able to enjoy the Abyss. Already it's a very different experience for those just now entering the Abyss, for whom constant ganking by higher level parties is a common occurrence.  This will get worse with each passing day, presenting a large barrier to trailing or new characters. Eventually, the Abyss content will be inaccessible to anyone who isn't at least level 45 and traveling in a full group. That's a serious design flaw.
    Why do you think the game has people playing more hours on average than in other MMORPG releases? It's not because the game is so fun, it's because people understand if they don't stay ahead of the curve, they will be toast.
    Everything in the core game design and world design is exponentially weighted in favor of power levelers who stay ahead of the curve. You even get additional bonuses beyond stats and equipment for every level higher than an opponent you are, for mitigation and resistances. As someone who enjoys balanced PvP and has never been a fan of unfair griefing, this has actually made the game less enjoyable for me, because lower level characters are too easy to kill to prevent any fun or challenge.
    The game seems to be designed around catering to the top 5% of players, at the detriment and exclusion of everyone else. That's a more serious design flaw than anything in WAR or AoC.
    World design is at least as flawed as WAR. Small world size is at least as big an issue as it is in AoC.
    The game economy is also horribly broken, with the amount of money you earn increasing exponentially with each level. Pricing is already geared towards wealthy players looking to level alts. New players or those at lower levels can't afford level appropriate items sold by other players. This has also provided a perfect environment for gold sellers.
    I could go on. Extremely flawed in too many ways. Expect interest in the game to drop off a cliff in the near future. Once again, a shame, because a lot of the little things are great, only to be ruined by the larger game design.

Hmm I dont think we are playing the same game. I actually dont think you recognize the gaping holes in your logic, either. (everyone staying ahead of the curve? Yeah right.)

On my server, a european one, so far Aion has been quite a treat. Its just 2 weeks in, granted, but several very positive things already show. Also, and that one I dont think is up for debate, Aion so far doesnt have the problems that started showing up in AoC, WAR and even LotRO 2 weeks in, namely utterly broken, incomplete content, max-level chars and massive exploiting (hi Kheshatta lowbie groups)

Even though NCSoft added several servers over all languages, the queues remain at a stable 2h during primetime on weekends, and 90 minutes during primetime on weekdays. Interest is high, so far people arent leaving, and at least on my server the economy works quite well due to it being impossible to farm low-level equipment with a high-level char (gear stops dropping if you are too high level), allowing newer chars to sell their equipment for good prices at the Broker to high-level chars and their twinks.

PvP in the Abyss has just started out, so its too early to tell, but so far its definitely a game for people who socialize. If you grind on your own in a well-known place, you WILL get killed.

I think the problem lies with player perception here: People think they are supposed to be able to get the 25% bonus exp and added Abyss Points/Stigma Shards for free, and that the best exp rate should automatically be the standard which everyone has access to.

What I really love so far is that Aion once again provides plenty of grouping experiences from level 16 on, and optional small group stuff beforehand. Whereas in Age of Conan or Warhammer people just grinded and quested silently to the cap, barring the occasional flamewar or griefing accusation, in Aion you actually feel like part of a MMORPG community again.

Full disclosure: I loved EQ1, loved FFXI and loved Vanguard. I liked WoW classic, but despise the Lich King. Thus I suppose I am not one of the modern audience anymore :p

• VillynVillyn Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Tailz2k7

Originally posted by Villyn

You guys have to read the OP's posts. The first person, that  i have heard of, that has played ALL MMO's. 
    Funny read check it out...

Hows this funny? With trials or open betas or even fileplanet beta give aways it's easier than ever to check out each and every MMO.  You act like it's impossible or most of this community hasnt played most US released MMO's. Jeez don't be so amazed by common things it's like console games... I bet most of you have played triple the amount of console games I have I dont find that hard to believe with gamefly.com and other game passes that offer unlimited titles for a small monthly fee.

@Zeelot

Never played a MMO where I didn't grind millions... possibly billions of mobs before hitting max level. Whether I do this for quests or do it for mob specific grind for XP it's a part of every Level or Skill-Based MMO. Don't fool yourself.

I was just sayin it seemed very extreme. This site alone lists over 250 mmo's.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

And people are really complaining about the "Grind" or not being MAX Level... Wow... I can't wait for you to not resub so I can enjoy a game that removed some of the easy mode to actually make most aspects pretty challenging. When you get to 25 and enter the Abyss theres groups of lvl 40's waiting to gank your forum trolling asses and give you something new to whine about.

Well enjoy, when it's just you, 5 others like you, and 10 thousand botters...0o

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

Okay so this thread is pointless....

Please go troll somewhere else!

Oh and is my font hard to read???????  Jackass

Uhh... what?

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

And people are really complaining about the "Grind" or not being MAX Level... Wow... I can't wait for you to not resub so I can enjoy a game that removed some of the easy mode to actually make most aspects pretty challenging. When you get to 25 and enter the Abyss theres groups of lvl 40's waiting to gank your forum trolling asses and give you something new to whine about.

Even though I agree on the "easymode" part, wishing I could find an MMO with some actual challenging aspects, I hardly find grinding to be a challenge. It's an ongoing tediousness, not requiring any sort of skill on the player's part. Truthfully, if you find it a challenge, you amuse me :).

And to be honest, a level 40 ganking low levels I consider easymode as well. Kinda contradict yourself there a bit.

• SanzenSekaiSanzenSekai Member Posts: 11

So if the game is so damn amazing why are you on this website creating threads for the sole purpose of defending it? Shouldn't you be playing it? I doubt you or anyone here has the power to decide whether or not people will in fact play this game.

Also when people mention grind, it doesn't always mean time involved, they could be referring to the stale PvE quests that are sugar coated with cinematics.

Currently Playing: Nothing

Have Played: UO, WoW, GW, FFXI, L2, LotRO, WAR, Aion

Looking Forward To: SW:TOR

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611
    Originally posted by Zeelot

Grind = lack of content

Dont fool yourself.

WOW you really proved your point...oh wait no you didn't.  Grinding is a word that is thrown around to easy these days.  Back in the day a grind was a 4 hour quest in FFXI to ride a chocobo.  Or killing one mob at a time with a group for 6 for 6 hours to get one level becasue you keep deleveling. Some of you panise have no idead what a real grind is.  As far as content is concerned there is plenty in Aion not sure where you got your math but it is wrong.  Learn what a real grind is fool!  lol

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by Zeelot

Grind = lack of content

Dont fool yourself.

WOW you really proved your point...oh wait no you didn't.  Grinding is a word that is thrown around to easy these days.  Back in the day a grind was a 4 hour quest in FFXI to ride a chocobo.  Or killing one mob at a time with a group for 6 for 6 hours to get one level becasue you keep deleveling. Some of you panise have no idead what a real grind is.  As far as content is concerned there is plenty in Aion not sure where you got your math but it is wrong.  Learn what a real grind is fool!  lol

You failed to contradict him. Oh, and making assumptions like that does you no good.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522
    Originally posted by Auzy

Okay so this thread is pointless....

Please go troll somewhere else!

Oh and is my font hard to read???????  Jackass

no... it's pretty easy to read.

[EDIT] Maybe you guys should buy modern day monitors or something... or use 32 bit color or stop putting 2550x2100 resolution on 15inchers.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Grinding is not challenging.  It's boring. I don't pay for things that bore me.  Why would you?

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

I dunno I guess i'm questing... pvping... doing instances... Crafting

Lvl 30:

Quest 1-20 no problem

Crafting 21-22

Quest 23-25

Abyss Grind 25-27 (SOME QUESTS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!) 

Quest 27-30

I guess the only grind session I have had is by my choice I was having fun. So I do not see how you whiney kids are complaining. Theres still a zone I havnt been too filled with quests... Doing the lvl 25 instance takes about an hour each day is like a lvl of xp. So please enlighten me how horrible you are at video games that theres all this grinding unless you specifically choose to grind rather than find quests and do them.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

This discussion has been closed.