Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTC: Bloggers must disclose payments for reviews

2»

Comments

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Originally posted by rav3n2

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

I think this ruling has more to do with putting an end to the political operatives that are paid to go on the opposing party's sites and cause havoc, not MMO websites.

I don't think MMORPG.com has anything to worry about, nor anyone else.  This will not lead to personal blogs being censored or anything of that nature.  If it does, it will quickly be struck down as a violation of first amendment rights when it is abused.

*edit*
    four punkshuashun!

People seem to forget not everyone lives in the USA, for most of us we couldnt care less about this nor it will affect anything, if this is actually going inplace then the solution is get european people to do your propaganda rather than americans.

Well, the people pushing this legislation anyways seem to forget that, and as you suggested there is an easy enough work around.

That was actually the thought that came to my mind after I read it.  They'll never be able to enforce it effectively, because as you say, it doesn't apply to the rest of the world.

Im not so sure, the US does have a history of trying to enforce its laws in other countries. Selective enforcement can be very effective in "influencing" big players not to get involved. A few years ago there was something of a scandal in my country when a Hilton Hotel was found trying to enforce the Helms-Burton act by removing Cuban businessmen from their premises. Mexico Citys mayor actually had the place shut down (and demolished) for discriminatory practices. Still, its widely known most american companies operating in Mexico tow the US Goverments line in this issue, even when its actually against the law for them to do so. Canada and the EU have had similar incidents. The funny thing is Americans rarely prosecute, the threat of action is usually enough.

The government coming down hard on a site or two could be enough to enforce compliance in most important sites. Yes, we will always have the fringe media, but this doesnt take away from the fact they can exert pressure by targeting internet big boys. This is very unlikely to affect us at all in the foreseable future, but im of the opinion we are a very exposed comunity. The effect of hype in games sales is just fodder for people who see "internet adiction" and sex & violence in games as moral crusades. MMOs could one day be affected by this, specially if a scandal is made regarding their influence in teens. That our genre of games is actually targeted at adult audiences would either be overlooked or used to further fuel the fire in this scenario.

Im not doomsaying or anything, just pointing out its not a bad idea to keep tabs on how this thing develops.

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by svann

Originally posted by svann

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Ha ha! Destructoid doesn't like it... I wonder why.
    http://www.destructoid.com/ftc-demands-blog-disclosure-governs-the-internet-150990.phtml
    This isn't scary to those who aren't getting the payola.

Thats the

If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be worried about us invading your privacy

Patriot Act excuse of a few years. There is no way bloggesr should be controlled by that. I wonder what the next step will be?

Meh it wont hurt anyone thats honest. Now if youre a shill you just have to put a little notice at the bottom. Is that so difficult?  Whats so wrong about being honest about it? 

It has nothing to do with being honest, it's that being forced to mention such things that's the problem.

Mentioning you received freebies implies you accepted that as payment for giving a positive review, even when that isn't the case.

If you got freebies unrelated to the blog then you arent affected.  If you got paid to write then you have to be honest and say you did. 

Actually, yes you are affected. If a reviewer sends you freebies along with the product you're reviewing, you have to mention that even if isn't meant as payment and doesn't affect the review whatsoever.

Either mention that you got "trivial freebies" or dont accept them.  If they really are trivial then its no loss.  If it really matters to you then its not trivial freebies. 

Anyway what does it matter to you if youre not getting paid to do a review and you mention you got "trivial freebies" and some people think you are lying when you say that they were trivial?  Its not your loss its theirs.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Game sites are a different matter.
    They make money from advertisers based on the htis they get. They get more hits if they have cool content to show. Especially if it's 'exclusive' content. Game companies can make such content available to whichever sites they choose. How much of that do they send to sites which are negative about their products?
    It's not a coincidence that game sites generally treat new and upcoming releases with kid gloves.

lets not forget rampant overmoding every negative thread about a game that just happens to pop up as the splash background on the site, amazingly biased and skewed post editing/removing, violation bans for posts that aren't actual violations, etc.

I'd love to see how much this site makes in a year off "advertising" :P

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

1. Commenters and bloggers aren't the same thing. (This opinion has been brought to you by the fine people at "Enemayhem", the finest name in industrial grade enema kits. Our motto: Blow It Out Yer Ass!)

2. This doesn't affect bloggers at all. It affects salespeople people PRETENDING to be bloggers.  Cause a blogger who takes money to promote a product is no longer a blogger, but merely an employee in sales. (This opinion has been brought to you by the manufacturers of Gamer's Choice NutSacks. Keeping your nuts dry during a marathon gaming session. Available in WoW(small) and EvE(XXL) sizes.