Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resident Evil 5 = Wild Ride

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Just picked up Resident Evil 5 at Best Buy Sunday.  What a beautiful game.  Controls take some time to get used to.  Hidden items, drops and the weirest looking damn zombies you have ever seen. LOL

I posted this here because it is both a PC game and console.

Here is the review. 

Comments

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Yeah the game is great, the controls are better then the RE4 port. I would still try it out on a controller though (360 controllers  are compatible).  If only they could get the paranoia feel back in the series.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

The manual has a huge picture of the 360 controller.  I read somewhere that the PC controls are better.  It still feels a little clunky for me.  Not used to the over-the-shoulder type game.  I guess it just takes practice. 

I thought it was going to be like a first person shooter, but its not.  Overall, I am having a blast.  The textures are so detailed.  I am running it at 1920 x 1200 full screen on my 24" monitor. My video card is the NVidia GTX 285.

I was able to play through it maxed out and it is beautiful. It runs extremely smooth, and my cpu is pretty dated. (pc specs in my xfire page)

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OP:

Then after a while you realize what an awful piece of game it really is. It's beautiful on the surface but man, it starts smelling like dead fish real fast.

* Forced co-op with a Bot AI companion that does NOT know how to play (the Wesker and Jill fight is IMPOSSIBLE with AI player, poorly programming to say the least).

* No respect to Resident Evil lore + Awful story at that. This game rips apart anything that has to do with resident evil. Survival horror? No, co-op slaughterfest. Not to mention Wesker becoming a monster..? Give me a break.

* Not same producer. Shinji Mikami had no part of this game. He said he would not even dare to look at the game for what they had done. He made the right choise.

* Railroad shooting aspects in-game. The part with the car is just sad really. Has nothing to do with anything and felt like a brainstorm idea that went to far.

* No move and shoot. This was not a real problem in Resident Evil 4, but in this game... horrible.

* Encouraging cheating. The game almost forces you to cheat. Throwing INF AMMO options onto you like a dog. Which feels extremely lame. No penalties for completing the game with cheats either.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

Originally posted by DuraheLL

OP:

Then after a while you realize what an awful piece of game it really is. It's beautiful on the surface but man, it starts smelling like dead fish real fast.
    * Forced co-op with a Bot AI companion that does NOT know how to play (the Wesker and Jill fight is IMPOSSIBLE with AI player, poorly programming to say the least).
    * No respect to Resident Evil lore + Awful story at that. This game rips apart anything that has to do with resident evil. Survival horror? No, co-op slaughterfest. Not to mention Wesker becoming a monster..? Give me a break.
    * Not same producer. Shinji Mikami had no part of this game. He said he would not even dare to look at the game for what they had done. He made the right choise.
    * Railroad shooting aspects in-game. The part with the car is just sad really. Has nothing to do with anything and felt like a brainstorm idea that went to far.
    * No move and shoot. This was not a real problem in Resident Evil 4, but in this game... horrible.
    * Encouraging cheating. The game almost forces you to cheat. Throwing INF AMMO options onto you like a dog. Which feels extremely lame. No penalties for completing the game with cheats either.

Wrong.

1.The worst thing the AI does (pc version) is waste ammo, she is accurate as hell but sometimes goes to extreme measures to kill the enemy. I have cleared the game twice and am working on the final difficulty, currently on chapter 5-2.

2.I'm not even going to answer the lore/story part, not worth spoiling for him.

3.Same producer or not, the game is still golden. It all boils down to opinion on this part.

4.That part was enjoyable. Not going to go into detail, due to spoilers.

5.You could move and shoot in Re1 2 3? >.> way to call them out for not sticking to their roots.

6.Which is why it's an option.AFTER you have beaten the game and fully upgraded the weapon and THEN purchased it with points.

Originally posted by DuraheLL

OP:

Sounds like some valid points, but you must be in the minority.  Before I bought this game, I looked at all the reviews and I mean pretty much all of them.  It never got below and 80%,.  In fact, most were in the 90's.  Anyways, I did find a player review that kind of matched yours.

Reviews

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Game was horrible. Huge waste of cap, unlike Fallout 3 which i am playing atm... zomg.. I didn't...?

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

It's... okay. My major complaint (since RE4) is that they've moved the series well away from survival horror and into the action/adventure genre. Which is fine, it's Capcom's franchise, they can do what they please. However, they're keeping the controls of a survival horror game, which is a really cheesy way of artificially increasing the difficulty level. You want to throw me in a small area with  insta-kill chainsaw zombies? Fine, but for the love of God, let me shoot while moving!!! I can't even tell you how frustrating certain parts of the game are because of this. Ugh.

Oh, and ZOMG HIT THE A BUTTON RIGHT NOW  OR DIE!!! please do away HOLY CRAP MOVE THE STICK COUNTERCLOCKWISE TO DODGE!!! with those infernal surprise QTEs. They aren't and never have JUMP UP AND DOWN WHILE SINGING THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER BACKWARDS TO KILL THE BOSS OR HE'LL EAT YOU been fun. Ones I have initiated ala God of War can be fun though.

And Sheva's A.I. is obviously pants-on-head retarded. Yeah Sheva, use the damn pistol even though I just gave your stupid ass an upgraded SMG and a ton of ammo. Oh yeah, don't bother dodging away from the bad guys either. Brilliant strategy, Napoleon. To be fair, she does manage to pull off quite a few consecutive headshots from time to time before reverting back to 'stare and drool' mode.

Just my thoughts. Overall I do like the game, I just wish I'd waited for the price to drop before picking it up. It's not so much Resident Evil as it is a RE/Lost Planet hybrid.

EDIT: To clarify, I am speaking of the X360 version. Some of these problems may have been rectified in the PC version.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by outfctrl

Just picked up Resident Evil 5 at Best Buy Sunday.  What a beautiful game.  Controls take some time to get used to.  Hidden items, drops and the weirest looking damn zombies you have ever seen. LOL
    I posted this here because it is both a PC game and console.
    Here is the review. 

The controls are far from complicated lol aim and shoot... and there is no run and gun so is even easier or annoying as hell depend of you.

Also the force co-op is pure BS specially if you're playing alone cuz the AI is mad retarded unless that you're playing on easy like a girl. The game is average nothing amazing .

best re5 review: www.youtube.com/watch

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

And Sheva's A.I. is obviously pants-on-head retarded. Yeah Sheva, use the damn pistol even though I just gave your stupid ass an upgraded SMG and a ton of ammo. Oh yeah, don't bother dodging away from the bad guys either. Brilliant strategy, Napoleon. To be fair, she does manage to pull off quite a few consecutive headshots from time to time before reverting back to 'stare and drool' mode.

Funny thing about Sheva. I made her use the Pistol, I used everything else. Sometimes I would have to have her hold a weapon although I knew she wouldn't use it unless she was out of ammo. I found "one" weapon her ass will switch to. The damn shock baton. She won't even use it either, she just stands around looking at it. She brings it up, just no swing. And as long as it remains on her she will not use the pistol. The AI is bad. but the game is clearable on every difficulty with her. Just give her the pistol, stock up on ammo for it and it plays out nicely.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

RE5 was good, and it was made to play with other people not with the ai. So if your playing it all alone thats more your fault than the games. As for the rest yeah they need to darken it up, make more pop out moments and make you feel like something is behind you. Take a page for id and use that creepy effect that works only in surround sound. Most of us have that these days.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Regardless of how great the AI is, they should have an option of playing solo. Whatever scary bits that might have been left in the game, are lost when you are not alone.

Originally posted by majinant

Regardless of how great the AI is, they should have an option of playing solo. Whatever scary bits that might have been left in the game, are lost when you are not alone.

It's not the problem of having a team mate with you. Most of the enemies you encounter are in the open, because most of the areas are open. RE4 once upon a time was suppose to be a horror game. Then they switched it around and turned it into a action adventure game. Have you seen what RE4 once was?

www.youtube.com/watch

But even then, people would complain about not sticking to it's roots. Think they was aiming for the Silent Hill feel in the early version

But it has the missing elements of what RE use to be.

I found an interesting tip at IGN:

Unequip Sheva - Sheva is beyond annoying, and if you're not careful, she will burn through your inventory of curative items and ammunition faster than you can possibly imagine. And this goes for Chris, too, if you're playing primarily as Sheva during a subsequent playthrough. While there are no doubt gamers who disagree and like the addition of a brainless partner, that brainless partner will make your life much, much harder.

The solution? Simply use your partner as an extra nine inventory slots. Remove his or her weapons (your partner can carry a Stun Rod, but no guns).

This will force him or her to carry ammunition, but never expend it, which he or she will do flagrantly and with much annoyance on your part. Your partner can also carry just about anything else you can't, hold spare ammunition you don't have room for you in your own inventory, and generally free you up for stress-free exploration.

Playing through the game rarely necessitates your partner being armed, and in fact will make your partner scared of enemies (thus hiding more often), so consider this highly-recommended technique from the get-go.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

The best way to deal with Sheva is to give her the very first sniper rifle you'll find, I think it's the S75, and take away all other weapons.

The reason for this is that it she needs to insert a new bullet after each shot, which means she can't waste ammo as fast. Also, if you keep upgrading it's damage, she will kill enemies with fewer shots which saves ammo. The ammo drops depend on which weapon you're using, so by having fewer weapons you'll increase the amount of ammo you find for each.

My advice? Give Sheva the sniper rifle as her only weapon and let her carry all the herbs as she is a great healer. For Chris, give him one handgun and one bigger gun, I suggest a shotgun. You'll be fine as far as ammo is concerned.

If you liked Resident Evil 5, I definitlely recommend you get Resident Evil 4 as well. It's not quite as pretty as RE5 but the gameplay is mostly the same. The game has a much better atmosphere and is also quite a bit longer.