Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO: Who would be interested...

....in a possible Western based MMO? This is a curiosity question. I had thought about this over a  year and a half ago when I was getting bored with all of the same knights, wizards, goblins, trolls, orcs type of MMO's that have been released over the past 10 years. There aren't a lot of space based MMO's, but there are some, so I thought...what MAY be interesting that hasn't been done? Hence Wild West MMO came to mind and became my project final for my Game Art & Design class.

- It would be an FPS style MMO where you can go first or third person view.

- COMPLETE PvP based MMO.  No rules but what the players make (Like EVE). Of course their would be cheating,hacking,glitching rule sets, but I mean the in-game rules of the West would be set and enforced by the player base. After all, the West was wild! So some towns you go into might have law abiding citizens (For the most part), and other towns could be completely lawless.

- There would be no classes, no levels like other MMOs. Just skills in which you could put points into to improve desired areas. In this aspect, it would be much like Fable. What you do effects your reputation and character's ability to get around. You start off an average person, and can branch off any way that gets your fancy. Be anything you want! Be a Horse Thief, Bank robber, Gun Slinger, Cattle Thief, Marshal, Bounty Hunter, Train Robber, Prospector, Blacksmith, Rancher, Gun Smith, Tradesman, General store owner (Limited spots, basically player AH),  Sioux Indian, even a Union soldier and form regiments to hunt high price player/NPC outlaws! Form posses, gangs, you name it!

I've got a million ideas for such a game, but not everything hashed out, like end-game material. But I  was just curious (As stated above) if anyone would also be interested in such a game? Give ideas here to add to it if you wish. I know that not long ago I also saw a n article by an MMORPG writer  mentioning the possibilities of a Wild West MMO theme too. I'm just tired of the same regurgitated MMO fodder and what to see what other come up with for this theme.

Comments

• Aside from the costumes and horses, how would it be any different than 100 other FPS games?

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Laiina

Aside from the costumes and horses, how would it be any different than 100 other FPS games?

I meant different as in an FPS style MMO. Like Huxley and/or Fallen Earth wise, but with a Wild West setting. Their almost ISN'T the possibility anymore of coming up with a truly unique game model, just spin-off models.

• Zackary13Zackary13 Member Posts: 13

im gonna be honest, not a huge fan of the ol' west, you need something that hasn't been too hit up on, which clearly middle ages is out of the question, however a fast paced pirate mmo would be interesting (im sure there is but im not on my omputer enough to look for one X_X)

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Would Clint Eastwood be in it?

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

First Person Shooters are fun, but IMO there's no need for them to be massive.

A Western game with 32 people on each side shooting each other is massive enough for me. Makes my fingers hurt to play a shooter for very long, so I just don't have a need for it to be massive.

A Western MMORPG might be fun though.

• reikaleereikalee Member Posts: 79

Who knows? It might be a good change after all.

I am simply myself, no more and no less. And I only want to be free.

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

What is the name of the GAME? Anyways I try new games if it has a good features and gameplay

Originally posted by Myrean

What is the name of the GAME? Anyways I try new games if it has a good features and gameplay

It's just something I have been thinking of for some time now. Hadn't really thought of a name to this point....was more focused on what would be in it and let the name come from that.

• tutubitutubi Member Posts: 47

the western setting doesnt actually fit in with FPS style games. western duels are done via showdown and they are hyped around town, then the duellers will finish the duel in about 1 second :D. doesnt fit in a gunz/counterstrike/halo FPS game :D

Originally posted by tutubi

the western setting doesnt actually fit in with FPS style games. western duels are done via showdown and they are hyped around town, then the duellers will finish the duel in about 1 second :D. doesnt fit in a gunz/counterstrike/halo FPS game :D

It wouldn't be a Halo/Counterstrike game. I'm brainstorming ways to do the duels, when they do take place. And how exactly would a Wild West setting NOT fit in as an FPS? It requires guns after all.

Not all FPS games are defined by bunny hopping, ADD ridden rapid fire mayhem. Reloading in my Wild West idea would be often, and slower to stay in line with the actual times. Just as the windows in my game idea would be warped glass, just as it was in the era. My game idea is /would bring back something to MMO's that has been missing for awhile....challenge. Their are quite enough cookie-cutter hand holding MMO's on the market as it is.