Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Evidence of Microtransactions in ToS?

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by Swanea

Wow. They closed my thread, and created a "poll" about how you want to pay....

Yep, and you pointed out that they had all options for vote, maybe that says something.

Yes, and it did not in the first poll.

A payment similar to DDO maybe?  With a monthly plan that gives you points? Or let's you buy certain things with points?

If It is something like that, I'd expect "adventure packs" from DDO will come later, and everyone would start out with it all.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Yep, and you pointed out that they had all options for vote, maybe that says something.

Yes, and it did not in the first poll.

A payment similar to DDO maybe?  With a monthly plan that gives you points? Or let's you buy certain things with points?

If It is something like that, I'd expect "adventure packs" from DDO will come later, and everyone would start out with it all.

Maybe it's infraction points lol, . Anyways I imagine the voting options is telling of something.  anyways I imagine all these "I'm not buying this game if it has RMT" people will eventually just pick up the game. It's freakin $tar Wars lol

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Maybe it's infraction points lol, . Anyways I imagine the voting options is telling of something.  anyways I imagine all these "I'm not buying this game if it has RMT" people will eventually just pick up the game. It's freakin $tar Wars lol

That's true, but there is also limitations to what people will deal with when it comes to RMTs.

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223
    Originally posted by Swoogie

Originally posted by MikeB

Some of the gumshoes in the Star Wars: The Old Republic community have dug up some interesting language in the Terms of Service agreement included with the application of the recently announced Game Testing program. The language present in the agreement may allude to the existence of an in-game shop aka microtransactions in The Old Republic.
    Sections H-K of the Game Testing Terms & Conditions are the particularly curious sections of the agreement, making mention of "points" and a "Game store".
    A screen cap of the aforementioned section of the agreement can be viewed below:

Section H states that "all points acquired during the Game program are non-refundable and have no monetary value".
    In Section K, you'll find the agreement mentions a "Game store" which would appear to be pretty explicit.
    Of course, BioWare has not officially announced anything along these lines, so while this evidence is certainly convincing it is by no means a direct confirmation that The Old Republic will indeed make use of microtransactions.
    Via DarthHater.
    Handled responsibly would you be willing to play Star Wars: The Old Republic with the inclusion of microtransactions, either as the sole method of payment or as a supplement/alternative to a paid subscription option? Let us know in the comments below!

If this game was F2P with microtransactions, and $40 to get the game, that would be awesome

I wouldn't mind seeing SWTOR free to play, something along the lines of Guild Wars but I don't see how that would be profitable with the kind of ambition they're putting into the development of this game. They most-likely want to compete with World of Warcraft so I guess we can expect there to be $15 a month and micro-transactions?

Originally posted by Persephassa

I wouldn't mind seeing SWTOR free to play, something along the lines of Guild Wars but I don't see how that would be profitable with the kind of ambition they're putting into the development of this game. They most-likely want to compete with World of Warcraft so I guess we can expect there to be $15 a month and micro-transactions?

Well even WoW has RMT, can't forget the TCG. But it's nothing more then mounts and non-combat pets, and a few shapshifting items (ogre suit). If ToR could do something like this, that would be awesome. I wouldn't mind treating myself to a cool speeder for 5 bucks at the end of the week. But buying armor/weapons or sets of it, is out of the question.

Originally posted by greed0104

Originally posted by Persephassa

Well even WoW has RMT, can't forget the TCG. But it's nothing more then mounts and non-combat pets, and a few shapshifting items (ogre suit). If ToR could do something like this, that would be awesome. I wouldn't mind treating myself to a cool mount for 5 bucks at the end of the week. But buying armor/weapons or sets of it, is out of the question.

Also keep in mind, GW2 has been stated by NCSoft to be their largest MMO project ever, bigger than Aion. So that pretty much says if BioWare did their research they expect to make a good enough return if they go that same route with SWTOR.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Also keep in mind, GW2 has been stated by NCSoft to be their largest MMO project ever, bigger than Aion. So that pretty much says if BioWare did their research they expect to make a good enough return if they go that same route with SWTOR.

BioWare most certainly may have to try something different to get subscriptions over upcoming MMOs. It has the Star Wars IP, Old republic era, BioWare behind it and it seems to have a decent community thus far. But there are going to be walls in the future, GW2 as you said, Cataclysm, even JGE will have some affect. But is RMT the risk they wanna take? Everything is in their hands, hopefully they will do it right. Currently this is nothing more then speculation, we don't have a clue on BioWares payment method. I think the best way for them to pull ahead is to just but out an amazing game with no strings attached.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

after playing dungeons and dragons online i think mircro transactions suit me . in fact i would go so far as to say most games would do better with either  ddo or guildwars model .  a while ago i argued that different payment models should be looked at in mmo gaming and that nowhere is it set in stone that it should be 15 dollars a month .  it seams a few developers are thinking along those lines now . i ll even go so far as to predict that the game that requires a 15 dollar monthly will become increasingly rare . i would nt be suprised if warhammer and age of conan end up going free to play soon as well if ddo proves a success . lets face it most mmos are not worth the currrent monthly subscription fee .

DDO does have an excellent RMT from what I have read, I admit I have yet to give it a go. But it offers two ways of payment which is a great way to get chunk of the MMO market.   As long as neither one gets a benefit over the other, it's fail safe, in my opinion.

www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4146/building_experiences_the_bioware_.php

“For so many years, we just saw this thing as retail, but I think that’s finally changing. Now, you see these 10 million person numbers for monthly plays on Facebook games. Your jaw hits the floor. People, in a sense, are doing more in a month of actual plays than World of Warcraft. It’s certainly not monetizing anywhere near the same level, but the actual [number of] people touching that product is enormous.

It’s very insightful for us, because I think a lot of the really smart things are low barrier to entry, and games that work on any system. It’s kind of permissive, in the sense that if people really want to engage with it, they’ll start spending money if you make a really great game. If you make quality stuff, it plays to your strength. There are a lot of neat opportunities there.

Also, obviously, the MMO space continues to get bigger and bigger and more important. I think you’re going to be starting to see — there are already a few now in North America — full free-to-play MMOs with microtransactions coming down the pipe and stuff. So, lots and lots of exciting stuff there.” – Greg Zeschuk

SWG Bloodfin vet

• benmou13benmou13 Member Posts: 89

i wana know the figures on how many people signed up to the site/beta i think that will give them a good reason to go p2p.

Originally posted by benmou13

i wana know the figures on how many people signed up to the site/beta i think that will give them a good reason to go p2p.

There are over 270k members there, and TBH most of the people who just showed up to sign up and make one post are more open to the idea. The fans who use game forums are pretty much the vocal minority.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• xover33xover33 Member Posts: 70

As long as the MT's are not to buy armor, or buy pots and such I am all fore it.  If it is for cosmetic and doesn't make a player more powerful like atternate costumes for Street Fighter IV  then I see nothing wrong with it.   

But please please please make it a monthly subby.  That would be perfectly ok with me.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I have a feeling this will work similarly to Age of Conan's system where it's probably primarily account based, and now a vet system.

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

As an intelligent human being, microtransactions don't factor in whether I play a game or not.

I've yet to see a complete solid argument as to why playing a game with a subscription that offers non-gameplay impacting rewards through a microtransaction system, is such an evil thing and would cause someone not to play that game.

I intend to play Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and SW:TOR regardless of their little point stores because why should I deprive myself of an entire experience because someone wanted to spend 5 dollars to get a little pet or armor piece that doesn't do anything. If I wanted to buy it, I also have the magical option of buying that same piece if I choose to.

Some people would rather just complain and criticize than enjoy life. Toodles.

• CaleveiraCaleveira Member Posts: 556

The problem with RMT is that even if its done right at the begining (it usually is) theres no guarantee they wont be tempted to push micros in the future by adding more than fluff or convenience items to their cash shop. This is a dealbreaker for me, i hope its nothing more than legaleese to protect them from liability. I will certainly try this game if its p2p, but not otherwise.

Just to make things clear...
    I speak for myself and no one else, unless i state otherwise mine is just an opinion. A fact is something that can be independently verified, you may challenge such but with proof. You have every right to disagree with me through sound argument, i believe in constructive debate, but baseless aggression will warrant an unkind response.

• LaurannLaurann Member UncommonPosts: 47

If microtransactions become the norm in swtor, I'll buy the game, shit in the box, factory seal it and promptly send it back for a full refund.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Handled responsibly would you be willing to play Star Wars: The Old Republic with the inclusion of microtransactions, either as the sole method of payment or as a supplement/alternative to a paid subscription option? Let us know in the comments below!

Nope.  I am willing to pay a flat up-front fee of up to 15 bucks a month.  I simply refuse to play any game that tries to nickle and dime me.  I will not play an game with an open ended monthly fee, and I won't play a game where other players have an advantage or just get cooler stuff than me because they are willing to pay more per month than I am.  I love Star Wars, and i have been anxiously awaiting this game, but I won't even try it out if they employ micro-transactions of any kind.

• Sevey13Sevey13 Member Posts: 14

Yeah, yours is the third thread that was closed on the topic. The first was mine, pointing to the website that actually broke the story (www.holofeed.com) on the day Beta was actually announced, not a few days later when Darth Hater picked up the story from there. In fact, I'm a little confused...I submitted a link to the story on Holofeed on the 29th of September to mmorpg.com so they would find it, but they apparently decided to credit the story to someone else.

Funny how life works, eh?

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Looking different with races/items that give no bonuses, I think, are perfect for any game.

I see a lot of people making this same point, but I don't agree.  It's all horse armor to me.  Withholding content that would have otherwise been included in the regular monthly fee, simply to sell it separately is enough reason for me not to play a game.  It doesn't matter to me whether or not it gives anyone a competitive advantage.  these games are generally about the acquisition of loot and character customization, charging extra for these things is BS.  Western MMO players have generally been against RMT, and have spoken clearly with their subscription dollars on the subject.  If we decide now that it's OK to withhold some loot and sell it to us for a few bucks more, then we may as well all just get prepared to pay 30 bucks a month for the exact same amount of content we now get for 15. 

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

No one knows what these points are they speak of, could mean anything. Either way I could care less. RMT didn't bother me in GW, it won't bother me in GW2 or TOR. I don't care If they charge less or nothing at all per month, the only thing that maters is is it fun to play? At least you only spent money on a box to find out you hate it after 3 months xD

see, i dont want a game store...i want a free to play game that follows a guild wars type model...with boxed content that get released that you DO NOT have to buy.....This is a good model  not shitty F2P that takes away skill from a game.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THAT IS NOT TRUE!!! :X

• Neolith8300Neolith8300 Member Posts: 12

I thought they had already mentioned once that they were looking at a subscription model with no monthly payments but having MT's. Anybody else remember this?

IMO MT's don't bother me at all as long as whatever is in the cash shop is attainable through playing the game.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Some of the gumshoes in the Star Wars: The Old Republic community have dug up some interesting language in the Terms of Service agreement included with the application of the recently announced Game Testing program. The language present in the agreement may allude to the existence of an in-game shop aka microtransactions in The Old Republic.
    Sections H-K of the Game Testing Terms & Conditions are the particularly curious sections of the agreement, making mention of "points" and a "Game store".
    A screen cap of the aforementioned section of the agreement can be viewed below:

Section H states that "all points acquired during the Game program are non-refundable and have no monetary value".
    In Section K, you'll find the agreement pretty explicitly mentions a "Game store".
    Of course, BioWare has not officially announced anything along these lines, so while this evidence is certainly convincing it is by no means a direct confirmation that The Old Republic will indeed make use of microtransactions.
    Via DarthHater.

No. But, thankfully what has been talked about as far as the the game goes by Vogel, Walton and the few other interviews they aren't making a MMO I'd want to invest time in anyway so I won't have to struggle with this dilemma.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Paying for items, in any way, means I will not be buying this game.