Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Not developing Fallout 4: New Vegas.

metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

This kinda pisses me off.

While Bethesda/Zenimax is publishing the game they wouldn't be directly developing it since they are working on Elder Scrolls V.

Do you guys think this is a good move? I would much rather Bethesda make FO4 after Elder Scrolls V. FO3 has a ton of content do we really need a sequel so soon by a developer thats clearly not as talented?

What do you guys think?

Edit: Obsidian will be making FO4.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Comments

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

I didn't even know a F4 was being made. Whose the developer?  Also I want ES5. Sorry. I also trust Bethesda/Zenimax with make sure the final product is solid considering their names will be attached. Honestly, I doubt much of the engine will change. I just need more levels and another solid storyline.

Edit* Ok why you bitching? Obsidian can do a good job.

• ShinzouShinzou Member Posts: 34

Not to mention Obsidian has some of the developers from the original Fallout games.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by xanphia

I didn't even know a F4 was being made. Whose the developer?  Also I want ES5. Sorry. I also trust Bethesda/Zenimax with make sure the final product is solid considering their names will be attached. Honestly, I doubt much of the engine will change. I just need more levels and another solid storyline.

Edit* Ok why you bitching? Obsidian can do a good job.

Not really bitching just kinda worried the new game wont be as good. I just read a few devs from FO3 are with Obsidian so Im not as worried now.

Yeah FO4 is being released in 2010, its been in development shortly after FO3 was complete (even before FO3 DLC was done).

Originally posted by Shinzou

Not to mention Obsidian has some of the developers from the original Fallout games.

LOL yep I just read that. Hopefully the game will be just as good then.

• AlivadaAlivada Member Posts: 86

Fallout 3 is a good game and we don't actually need a sequal but it's been a while from Oblivion's release and would love for Bethesda to mainly focus on the 5th Elder Scrolls.

Also Bethesda's first Fallout 3 and people had their doubts so I don't want to pre-judge the new developer before the game's release.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by Shinzou

Imagining how big these projects are and how many people involved in them this tells us next to nothing, unless in a leaderposition he/she or they wont be able to stear the game in any other directions then that of the Project leader.

Then theres the "some" does that mean 2 or 200? Not to mention Fallout 1 and 2 was produced a long time ago and the same mechanics/graphics etc. wont be accepted if not polished properly. Its a shame Bethesda pulled out of the IP when they did such a good job with Fallout 3, I mean who expected it to be that good? Fallout fans were almost in an uproar when it was announced they would take over the IP, but it turned out to be great... Will the same result repeat itself again?

Time will tell wether this is good or bad, at this stage its too early to say

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

For my money, Obsidian is a much better development house than Bethesda. They have the developers from the original Fallout games, not to mention the magnificient Planescape: Torment. One cannot overstate how influential these guys have been in the RPG genre in the late 90s. Granted, they have yet to deliver a classic under their new brand, but their work is always engaging if sometimes a bit buggy.

Honestly if it was Bethesda developing it, I might have passed this one, because Fallout 3 just felt uninspired to me. Hearing Obsidian is going to make it has actually piqued my interest. They usually make classic 3rd person RPGs though, so I don't know how they'll fare if they go for the Oblivion / Fallout 3 way of gameplay.

Also, I've just realized I dislike most of the games built on Gamebryo, so it'd be cool if they went with another engine, but I presume they're not...

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Ok, the games coming out in 2010. That was a QUICK turn around. Like I said, they will probably use the same engine. So they just need to craft story, missions, characters, etc.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I enjoyed Fallout 3 but I would much rather purchase  Elder Scrolls 5 instead.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I didn't think FO3 was all that great, personally. It was a good game, but not all that great. I'd be more interested to see what the Obsidian team can do with the IP, though having some Bethesda folks coming over makes me worry a little. I'm a fan of the first 2 fallout games and 3 just didn't capture the feeling that those others did. I'd be more inclined to buy an Obsidian version than another Bethesda one.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• smellysockssmellysocks Member Posts: 230

You got it all wrong, IT IS NOT FALLOUT 4, New Vegas is a spinoff, it has absolutely nothing that even suggest the title ''4'' in it.

Bethesda will make fallout 4 themself, they pretty much confirmed it in interviews.

• smellysockssmellysocks Member Posts: 230

''Bethesda Vice-President of PR and Marketing Pete Hines stressed, "

This is not a sequel to Fallout 3, and this won't impact whatever Todd Howard and his group over at Bethesda Softworks are working on. This is just another Fallout title." He further elaborated that New Vegas is still an RPG, and will impart the same feel and experience as Fallout 3; "it won't be a different type of game like Fallout Tactics or Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel were," Hines commented.''

''Fallout 4 is a future game that will be created and published by Bethesda Softworks after Fallout 3 (2008). Initially, in 2004, Bethesda licensed the rights to create and publish three Fallout games from Interplay.

Bethesda's Pete Hines said: "The whole reason we went out and acquired the license and that we now own Fallout is that we clearly intended to make more than one." He also added: "This is not something we're going to do once and then go away and never do it again. When that will be or how long that will be God only knows, but we acquired it specifically because we wanted to own it and develop it and work on it like we do with The Elder Scrolls.'

See the difference ? :)

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

According to the offical F3 forums they announced Mothership Zeta was the final DLC they'd be doing.

F3 was interesting although my only complaint and one that many F3 fanboys disagree with.

V.A.T.S. is CHEAP !

Why is it cheap ? 

Theres a stat which enables you to spot enemies on your directional radar.  The higher it is the sooner you can see the red blip on  your radar...  Absolutely useless.

You can waltz around panning the camera spamming your VATS hotkey which picks up enemies across the landscape.

Not the least of which, using a sniper rifle you can only zoom in so far.  Click VATs and BAM it zooms up to their face.

Or when you round a corner and are looking up at a Deathclaw (insta gib) ok wait I can stop time and click my VATS button then target its face and switch to my strongest weapon.... owned !

F3 was kind of cheapened by VATS.

Originally posted by smellysocks

''Bethesda Vice-President of PR and Marketing Pete Hines stressed, "
    This is not a sequel to Fallout 3, and this won't impact whatever Todd Howard and his group over at Bethesda Softworks are working on. This is just another Fallout title." He further elaborated that New Vegas is still an RPG, and will impart the same feel and experience as Fallout 3; "it won't be a different type of game like Fallout Tactics or Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel were," Hines commented.''

''Fallout 4 is a future game that will be created and published by Bethesda Softworks after Fallout 3 (2008). Initially, in 2004, Bethesda licensed the rights to create and publish three Fallout games from Interplay.

Bethesda's Pete Hines said: "The whole reason we went out and acquired the license and that we now own Fallout is that we clearly intended to make more than one." He also added: "This is not something we're going to do once and then go away and never do it again. When that will be or how long that will be God only knows, but we acquired it specifically because we wanted to own it and develop it and work on it like we do with The Elder Scrolls.'

See the difference ? :)

Oh I totally missed that, Thank you very much for the info.

I can now rest at ease, enjoy all the new Rpgs I have and know that Both Elder Scrolls and Fallout are in good hands :)

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I just came from Gamestop where I was debating between Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls. I like Elder Scrolls much better, but it's so old now. I actually put some money down for Fallout 3 GOTY edition which will be out in two weeks. Plus when any new stuff comes out for Fallout 3 I can just download it. The best part is that I can trade it in on Elder Scrolls when it comes out, unlike computer games where your stuck with it forever.

• ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 115

It is not Fallout 4. It is a sidegame. The people developing it have some team members from the original Fallout

games, so it could be quite good. Bethesda is trying to expand their role as a publisher with this and Brink. Meanwhile they are working on Elder Scrolls 4 and perhaps a Fallout or Elder Scrolls MMO.

Sounds like win win to me.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I don't blame them for wanting to concentate on the elder scrolls series more since it was their baby to begin with. I can't wait to play the next elder scrolls game, and consider oblivion to be my favorite game of all time. I still have yet to try fallout 3, didn't have the money to buy it when it released, and am waiting for them to release the game with the DLC they released afterwards added to it. They did that with Oblivion I believe so I think it will happen with fallout 3 too.

On a plus though this might allow for two good games being released instead of just one, and I for one will never complain about more good games.

Originally posted by Blazer6992

I just came from Gamestop where I was debating between Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls. I like Elder Scrolls much better, but it's so old now. I actually put some money down for Fallout 3 GOTY edition which will be out in two weeks. Plus when any new stuff comes out for Fallout 3 I can just download it. The best part is that I can trade it in on Elder Scrolls when it comes out, unlike computer games where your stuck with it forever.

No worries with FO3 GotY the 5 DLC that are in that edition will be the last for Fo3.

You wont have to DL anything else.

Wait, wait!!!!!!! did you just say trade in Oblivion? Is it even possible to do everything in the game without using a guide or cheat?

I have like 400+ hours in the game and have yet to go through half the main quest or even start the Knights of the nine and Shivering Isle main quest not to mention all of those DLC extras Bethesda released that I havent gotten around to doing.

Oblivion GotY edition is eating my soul and social life.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Obsidian is the company that developed the famously unfinished and disappointing KOTOR II, but they also developed NWN2....so I guess I'll wait and see.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

You got it all wrong, IT IS NOT FALLOUT 4, New Vegas is a spinoff, it has absolutely nothing that even suggest the title ''4'' in it.

Bethesda will make fallout 4 themself, they pretty much confirmed it in interviews.

This.

It's not another sequel in the core series (F1, F2 and F2), but is instead a spin-off of some kind. As far as I know, Bethesda alone holds the single player Fallout licence and the right to make New Vegas was also granted by Bethesda to Obsidian, where Bethesda will act as a publisher.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    Originally posted by Methos12

This.

It's not another sequel in the core series (F1, F2 and F2), but is instead a spin-off of some kind. As far as I know, Bethesda alone holds the single player Fallout licence and the right to make New Vegas was also granted by Bethesda to Obsidian, where Bethesda will act as a publisher.

Lets just hope these games Bethesda is publishing dont completely blow ass like WET does.

Hopefully Brink,Rogue Warrior and FO: Vegas will at least be decent.

• 128hoodmario128hoodmario Member Posts: 10

Sorry to say this I know you will all hate me but Oblivion was rubbish. It was boring and pointless and even though Fallout is infinetely better I would rather they got to work on Fallout 4 than Elder Scrolls 5. (like people have said New Vegas isn't Fallout 4) But Fallout 3 was MUCH better hopefully they can put what they have learned to make an actually good game.

I don't know if I can play New Vegas. I have never trusted Obsidian since KOTOR 2

/FFFFAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMM

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

sorry but i want elder scrolls 5, fallout3 didnt do me anyhting ...wait... funny posters.

anyway. gimme es5 bitches!

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

im ready to see ES5 also. its been over 3 years since oblivion. where as fallout 3 just came out last october and still has alot of playbility in it.. i can wait a couple more years for fallout 4 since new vegas is coming out next year to hold us over.

gamertag - Swaffle House