Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two Worlds

metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I've been reading a lot about Free roam Rpgs and while checking out The Witcher and Gothic 3 I decided to give a game named Two Worlds a try.

I picked this game up for $12.99 used in a bargin bin at my local Gamestop.

I read a few reviews on the game all giving the game average to below average reviews (from 4 to 6 ratings).

So I get home with this thing and I'm prepared for the worst. Bad graphics, terrible combat, stuttering Engine and Horrid voice work. All im willing to forgive as long as the game has a cool skill system and large game world.

When I started playing it you can easily see the engine is unoptimized the textures take forever to load so you constantly have this blurry,pixelated world until you actually spend a few hours in the game where the areas you already visited are loaded in the cache.

The other aspects of the game shocked me a bit. The combat is pretty good kinda reminds me of Fable 1 combat and not at all as horrid as the reviewers said they were.  you basically face a mob and use the right trigger to attack with a sword. Pressing the trigger in a certain sequence lets you unleash a flurry of attacks. The magic system can be set to the directional pad. You basically select a spell and fire the bastard off with the left trigger.  The left and right bumpers let you use Mana and health pots.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised with the combat system of TW.

The voice over work does suck ass and so does the grunts and screams during combat but after about an hour you don;t even give a shit anymore. The reviewers of this game really went overboard with the negatives the voice over work sucks but its not so bad that you toss the game in the bin in disgust.

I found the quests fun, the UI well done and I even liked the horse back riding.

This game is freaking massive.

Honestly If it wasnt for the slow loading of textures and stutter here and there I would have given the game a 7-8 rating easily.

Two worlds is basically a mix between Fable (combat) and Elderscrolls with graphics due to client optimization issues that look like Late Xbox or early 360 low end graphics.

For the price I can deal with the graphics and slight stutter the rest of the game is pretty good.

Much like how Sacred 2 was given a bad rap on consoles I believe Two worlds has also fallen prey to the "lets play for 10 minutes and review" crowd.

If you like Elder scrolls, Gothic or even console hack and slash like BG: Dark Alliance you will find Two worlds worth the pathetic price tag, if you could get around the graphics.

Edit: Shit! I wanted this in the Console section. sorry guys.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Comments

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

Have you found The Taint yet?

$12 is a good price and all I would pay for this.

hahahah.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by xanphia

Have you found The Taint yet?

$12 is a good price and all I would pay for this.

hahahah.

Haven't gone for the taint shots since I don't use any necro spells with my character.

I decided to go the old school Heavy armor, Shield/sword with Air magic (healing).

I read the necro spells are a but OP so I wanted to keep the game challenging for myself.

And yeah 12 bucks for a game that could easily deliver 200-300 hours of gameplay is awesome.

The main evil in the game is called The Taint is I'm correct, right?

That's what the joke was going for. Personally I don't think I'll give it a try but glad you got your money's worth.

The main evil in the game is called The Taint is I'm correct, right?

That's what the joke was going for. Personally I don't think I'll give it a try but glad you got your money's worth.

Yeah it is, sorry i thought you were referring to the pain in the ass to find taint shots for those awesome necromancy spells.

As for Tainted blood I haven't even started the main quest.

I love these free roaming games. I've played Games like Gothic 2 and Morrowind and after 300-400 hours still didn't do the main story.

Same, I quite enjoy Morrowind to this day. It's sad I keep going back to that game. I did finish the main quest at least once though. ;]

Edit* Just wait til your character asks where to find the taint. Then you will enjoy the same laughter as I.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

I've always seen this game for sale pretty cheap and always passed it over due to the reviews I had read and just not really being up for a disappointment. Unfortunately, reading your write up, I see a whole lot of "If you can look past this" or "after a while you don't notice this [bad] feature". It seems all the positives you try to make have a caveat of "well...it's not that bad".

A shame because I thought this game was discussed on this site when it was coming out and people were initially pretty excited... :(

edit: typos

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Same, I quite enjoy Morrowind to this day. It's sad I keep going back to that game. I did finish the main quest at least once though. ;]
    Edit* Just wait til your character asks where to find the taint. Then you will enjoy the same laughter as I.

LOL yeah.

Dude if your into Free roam Rpgs the Devs of gothic are releasing Risen and also have Gothic 4 in developement.

Oh and PS3 has a free roam Co-Rpg coming out also that looks fantastic.

My problem is finding the time to play them all.

These games have such high replay value that one game can hold you over for years so its tough to play 4-5 of these games.

I was still making my way through Shivering Isles and starting over with my Xbox Morrowind Goty edition before I got Two worlds.

I don't think I could handle two to three more new Rpgs like this lol.

Originally posted by mklinic

I've always seen this game for sale pretty cheap and always passed it over due to the reviews I had read and just not really being up for a disappointment. Unfortunately, reading your right up, I see a whole lot of "If you can look past this" or "after a while you don't notice this [bad] feature". It seems all the positives you try to make have a caveat of "well...it's not that bad".
    A shame because I thought this game was discussed on this site when it was coming out and people were initially pretty excited... :(

I'm not gonna lie to you bro, the game has issues. It looks like shit and stutters like a crack head needing a fix. But the games mechanics are so good. The game even has a realistic mount system and mounted combat.

It's no Oblivion or Gothic 3 but the game is fun for what it is.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by metalhead980
    I'm not gonna lie to you bro, the game has issues. It looks like shit and stutters like a crack head needing a fix. But the games mechanics are so good. The game even has a realistic mount system and mounted combat.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I really liked Oblivion and Gothic. Almost makes me want to rent this game to try it out, but the rental is only a few dollars cheaper then buying it used :P.

Still, I haven't even gotten into the expansions/dlc for Oblivion or Mass Effect yet, so imagine I would probably end up doing those first. Glad you're enjoying this game though. It's nice to read something somewhat positive as I had much the same experience as you reading the reviews.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Originally posted by mklinic

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I really liked Oblivion and Gothic. Almost makes me want to rent this game to try it out, but the rental is only a few dollars cheaper then buying it used :P.

Still, I haven't even gotten into the expansions/dlc for Oblivion or Mass Effect yet, so imagine I would probably end up doing those first. Glad you're enjoying this game though. It's nice to read something somewhat positive as I had much the same experience as you reading the reviews.

I was told TW will be dropped down to 4.99 in a couple months lol.

Just like Dark sector and Perfect dark on 360.

Oh if you play your Rpgs on PC the Two Worlds on PC looks so much better and doesnt have the stuttering and pixelation issue of the 360.

PC version is 15 bucks and the devs released three expansions for this game with over 30-50 hours of quests and new land mass to explore.

Dude im still playing oblivion, I havent beat Mass Effect yet, Shit bro I still have Jade Empire waiting to be played through in my game collection not to mention awesome games like Witcher and Overlord.

Too many good games.

LOL yeah.

Dude if your into Free roam Rpgs the Devs of gothic are releasing Risen and also have Gothic 4 in developement.

These games have such high replay value that one game can hold you over for years so its tough to play 4-5 of these games.

I was still making my way through Shivering Isles and starting over with my Xbox Morrowind Goty edition before I got Two worlds.

Gothic 4 will definately keep my interest as well F4 and ES5. I agree though, I feel a tad bit overwhelmed with all of them. So I usually get one and just concentrate on that. I own only a 360, not a PS3 fan. Also, my computer should be able to run Gothic 4 come this Xmas. So that's promising.

I never actually played Shivering Isles. I guess I should give it a quick run when I get home. In Tokyo for 3-4 months so I don't have access to any of my systems or desktop.

LOL yeah.

Gothic 4 will definately keep my interest as well F4 and ES5. I agree though, I feel a tad bit overwhelmed with all of them. So I usually get one and just concentrate on that. I own only a 360, not a PS3 fan. Also, my computer should be able to run Gothic 4 come this Xmas. So that's promising.

I never actually played Shivering Isles. I guess I should give it a quick run when I get home. In Tokyo for 3-4 months so I don't have access to any of my systems or desktop.

If you get tired of running around in the forest shivering Isle brings a radical change in scenery. The island is around 20-30% the size of the land mass in the original Oblivion so it gives you a lot to explore.

Oh and Gothic 4 is being developed for 360 and PC so no worries on the comp specs.