Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HOLY MOLY! PLANETSIDE 2 COMING!

LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214

Just got an email since I am an old-school PlanetSide player from Closed Beta asking me what I want to see in PlanetSide 2. I especially like that they asked what era you would want the game to take place in. I chose "Historical" as I'd really like to see a MMOFPS in World War II that doesn't suck like WW2O.

Comments

• NoyjitatNoyjitat Member Posts: 39

image,image

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214

Did you write anything in the last box? I wrote that I want to see better character progression and rewards for hardcore vets like I was (and I don't mean that shitty pistol they gave me, I want GOOD stuff).

• borguk1of9borguk1of9 Member Posts: 38

I just got the same email, wooott.

• HyperTechHyperTech Member Posts: 13

Hell yes, I was stoked to see that in my email box. As for the last question I said it need to stay true to the original Planetside but just be updated to modern engine/graphics, and with added content and customization.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Damn it is real

www.planetside2.com . It has recently been brought by SoE and links to normal PS site.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-planetside-2-in-the-works-2335.htm

SoE surprised me today in a very pleasant way. The world must be ending now. 

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

Yes, it's real.  I can't wait!

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

BUT, SoE may have the rights to the game, but they took over rights to vanguard.. look how well that turned out o.o

Sad to, vanguard had such potential , i miss that game

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

SOE brought Vanguard back from death, sadly during the near death experience there was some damage.

---

What really will Planetside 2? Really if you want updated graphics they could just replace the engine and leave everything else be (a la Anarchy Online)

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

Ah true, perhaps its better to say they kept it on a life line system. Just sort of there, but no full recovery. At least it still maintains a solid/loyal playerbase and when ive gone there to revisit my acc. the community was always a good one.

heres hoping SoE does planet side 2 better

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

They have it up as news on this site now too

www.thefanhub.com/news

Come on PS2!!!!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by DeViLmAn0

BUT, SoE may have the rights to the game, but they took over rights to vanguard.. look how well that turned out o.o

Sad to, vanguard had such potential , i miss that game

Vanguard had no chance after the mass exodus no matter who took over.That had nothing to do with SOE,at least SOE did step up and give it a chance ,how many developers out there right now ever step up and help out failing franchises or other games?answer is VERY few.Look at how much money Blizzard is raking in,they help ZERO franchises,they are pretty much a self righteous dev.

Before anyone gets all excited or thinks a failure to P2 will have anything to do with SOE,i  can tell you right now,this game will have NO chance,i don't care who makes it or runs it.I am really stumped as to why SOE is moving in,i thought maybe they have learned from their many mistakes on funding,this will not be a money maker.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183

This news made my day. All my friends have really ever wanted was PS2.

• HetNetHetNet Member Posts: 48

I'm happy to see a PlanetSide 2...I NEVER thought that would really happen.....PlanetSide, although usually considered unique, was never really a huge financial success....It paid the bills, apparently, but never boasted tremendous subscription numbers.

But I can't really get any hopes up until more information comes down....What I would personally want is the same game, updated graphics and physics and a modern engine, of course, larger continents (I like the exploration and travel aspect and feel no need to be in constant battle), ONE PLANET...No more of this ridiculous "asteroids and moons" crap......

But if they can just keep the original PlanetSide "feel", that huge scale, the immense masses of real people all busily and happily murdering each other in dozens of ways and  with reckless abandon....I'll be there.

Oh, and no levels or NPCs...

A BR6 should be able to stand toe to toe with a BR25 and be able to fight him....PVP doesn't work in level-based games, and PlanetSide had the best working and most elegant system for progresion I've ever seen in a game...I'd hope they'd keep that.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Seems SoE might be looking to redevelop a few of their franchises, though before everyone starts to foam at the mouth they'll all likely be 3-5 years in the making.

Planetside 2, Everquest "next" & I wouldn't be surprised to see a few others in SoE's stable getting put on the map too.

Free Realms hitting 5 Million must be raking in a good amount of cash for them.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Is indeed good news, would love to see planetside with today's technology.

• necrotoxin7necrotoxin7 Member Posts: 55

WOOT!! Finally!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

As long as it's massive epic warfare, lateral progression, PVP-only, and involves capturing objectives strewn about large continents, it'sgoing to be a blast.  Even better if they can improve the original game's admittedly average FPS gameplay.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

SOE tittle.. beware.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Axehilt

As long as it's massive epic warfare, lateral progression, PVP-only, and involves capturing objectives strewn about large continents, it'sgoing to be a blast.  Even better if they can improve the original game's admittedly average FPS gameplay.

PVE would be fine in the game Solong as there is NO REASON TO DO IT!

A Mob or two wouldent kill the game.

But if its gana take anything away from the Pvp Keep it out.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Interesting indeed!

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

...I cried in joy once i saw this!

Uhh... what?

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

Like the bad guy you thought was dead; I'd come back for a sequel.  I really miss 04/05 PlanetSide.  Everything from 06 on was all downhill and some of us held on in delusion longer than others.  : )

I oughta write em' an email and give them some advice on how to do an MMOFPS right and keep it that way.  Hell I hardly waste  time on ANY forums any more.  I think I may have lost my talent.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I wouldn't get my hopes up.   SOE  is making it.   They'll make it, then neglect it, and let it slowly die.

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

Yes and then I'll have to get another video-game tattoo of a game SoE will ruin and piss me off.  You know I never did get another tat.  Couldn't think of anything I liked enough besides PlanetSide to get.

maybe a nice kermit the frog or a skull.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Awesome, I've been waiting for this forever, I wish I had that email but this is DEFFINITLY AMAZING! PS fell deeply into my heart as a MMO. I loved it, much more then I do the games I play now. SOE told my  account to sit in a corner and i've been permanently suspended, (yay..) from ever trying a SOE game again, on  my old account. Which makes me sad because I loved my characters. A lot. I have tried discussing this with SOE but they  keep asking for my Secret password with the question being "What sign are you born under" well when they asked my Birthday I got that right. but apparently several time I didn't get this right at all. how am I supposed to answer a question which has nothing to do with the answer, I made probably by accident over 6-7 years ago. Damn sony, Way to go. Don't kill PS2 or you'll find misfortune in your near future.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

This discussion has been closed.