Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else besides me will be playing Aion just because everything else sucks.

2»

Comments

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171
    Originally posted by Egamst3k

Hell almighty no.
    When your options are "suck" and "sucks slightly less," the right thing to do is find something else to occupy your time.
    Damn dude, if your life is at the point where you're considering playing a game YOU'RE ALREADY BORED WITH in order to keep you from playing OTHER BORING GAMES, might I suggest taking up a new hobby?
    Take Scuba lessons.
    Go Skydiving.
    Learn to make pottery.
    Learn to make furniture.
    Design your own shirt line.
    Go to a strip club.
    Make a fancy dinner for your girlfriend/boyfriend.
    The possibilities are out there! Why anyone would willingly subject themselves to boredom is beyond me. At least the Ascetics torture themselves for religious enlightenment....

Yea I agree with that.

Also gaming is supposed to entertain isn't it? If it can't entertain you, than to hell with it!

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I play on asian server. Quite disappointed in Aion.

There are just so many bot, kill trading, and even hacks which can 1 kill people in 1 second.

I can accept the bot and kill trading. But not the hack. That is just bad programming. How did they let it happen and still not fix it after so long.

• gizbuggizbug Member Posts: 36

Having played WOW for 4 years, LOTRO, Warhammer, AoC...I was thinking of getting this game. Looked on youtube at some user videos, and saw basically the same thing that WOW gave me for 4 years (minus the graphics).  Start by killing some bugs, picking up quests to go kill 20 more of those bugs, repeat.  Hack n' slash took up a lot of time in WOW, don't think I want to drop money on another game, to do all that stuff over and over.  Granted there is a lot, and I mean a lot of hype for this game...but there was also a lot of hype for Age of Conan and Warhammer Online..................and after a few months, those games quickly fizzeled out and become barren lands.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Only games on the  market that don't stink of that shallow super casual MMO that broke the industry(WoW) are Darkfall, Eve, and Fallen Earth. Only ones really worth paying attention to nowadays. 

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

So, despite playing Aion in OB and almost falling into a coma from boredom and then badmouthing the game for about a month on this forum, I will be buying the game today or tomorrow and starting up a toon tomorrow at launch.  Why?  Well, Aion has a few things going for it:
    1. it works- this is the biggest.  No other major mmorpg released in the last 2 years really works as intended.  Maybe champions online, but they can't seem to figure out what they want to do with that game and a sharded server is not really an MMORPG to me.  If you never see the same people you might-as-well be playing a single player game if you ask me.
    2. I've already played through pretty much everything worth playing, including months in LOTRO, WoW, ffxi and even a couple in Warhammer.
    That's about it, really.  I'm not really excited about grinding the beginning quests which all seemed pretty much the same to me, but hopefully the rumor that things pick up with PVP at 20 or 25 turns out to be true.
    Is there anyone else in the same boat as me?
    Whoever came up with this release date for NA for Aion is a genius.  It's right when everything worth playing is stale and anything really exciting isn't scheduled to be released for months.

I'm just going to be playing it because I am just burned out on my other MMOs. I will probably play on private servers though, no way I would get dedicated to it with a good zero-PvP game around the corner (FFXIV).

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I am burnt out of other mmorpgs as well but thats the main reason why I decided against playing Aion. I participated in the open and closed beta, I pre order and cancel pre order my copy, Its a fun game yes, the best interpretation of the finest aspects of mmorpg gaming to date. Basically everything good about mmorpgs in the last 10 years was put into Aion. It is a perfect copy of the mmorpg 101 model. Nothing wrong with that but for me who is really burnt out of everything else out there It did not feel special.

I might get a copy sometime later this year, maybe for kicks and for the 30 days free that ill get out of it but I really don't see myself playing it long term. My only real issue is the time I spent looking forward to this game. From June 2007 until about 2 months ago. I even had a guild all set up after beta, as well as being a web admin for a huge Aion fan site. Quite frankly I kinda dumped all of that in a matter of 24 hours. I just didn't feel the passion I need to feel for a game with Aion.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

LMAO .. yes OP.. someone that says the truth.. .. this is the reason MOST are playing..

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Agreed.

• Originally posted by SignusM

Only games on the  market that don't stink of that shallow super casual MMO that broke the industry(WoW) are Darkfall, Eve, and Fallen Earth. Only ones really worth paying attention to nowadays. 

I am toying with playing something different, Fallen Earth. I don't know why but Aion never really caught my interest and it really does seem to be a case of a certain type of MMO player desperately running from one mmo to another.

I agree with others that have said some people really should try NOT playing an mmo for a while. Perhaps when winter is fully here there is more reason to bunker down at home and entertain yourself cheaply with some serious online time... but people, it is still SUMMER! At least in the northern hemisphere of course. :)

The people distressed about the Qs, I can understand this actually. It must be very frustrating because to play NOW is what the initial rush days are all about if that is what you and your friends are into, and you thought you'd paid for too. Still, try to think long term and just accept that this time you missed the boat for whatever reason. You'll catch up soon enough.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

ha!.. wait for FFXIV to launch and you will flush down Aion down the hole =P

So What Now?

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Whoever came up with this release date for NA for Aion is a genius.  It's right when everything worth playing is stale and anything really exciting isn't scheduled to be released for months.

I have to agree, the choice of release date was very well planned, unlike their choice for the amount of servers needed.

The only other game that holds any interest for me is Runes of magic atm.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I might try it out. I dunno, though. Seems a lot like WoW and LOTRO.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221

I'd like for someone to tell me how this game is any different from WoW.  On top of that how is it better?  Graphics?  What?

I've paid for the game and I'm playing, but I really feel like I'm playing WoW.   On top of that overall WoW really is better.  The content, story and quest systems are better and much more compelling.

Aion just seems like an Asian clone of WoW to me.   I can't see it any other way.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Stevon

I'd like for someone to tell me how this game is any different from WoW.  On top of that how is it better?  Graphics?  What?

I've paid for the game and I'm playing, but I really feel like I'm playing WoW.   On top of that overall WoW really is better.  The content, story and quest systems are better and much more compelling.

Aion just seems like an Asian clone of WoW to me.   I can't see it any other way.

1. Graphics are awesome!! Character creation detail is excellent, so many choices, the environments are amazing, and the music is cool.

2. The quests are fast paced, there are epic story quests, and group quests. Its a solid game. There is a story to Aion.

3. WoW is what it is. Aion is what it is. I wish everyone would stop comparing wow to the latest MMO.

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

So, despite playing Aion in OB and almost falling into a coma from boredom and then badmouthing the game for about a month on this forum, I will be buying the game today or tomorrow and starting up a toon tomorrow at launch.  Why?  Well, Aion has a few things going for it:
    1. it works- this is the biggest.  No other major mmorpg released in the last 2 years really works as intended.  Maybe champions online, but they can't seem to figure out what they want to do with that game and a sharded server is not really an MMORPG to me.  If you never see the same people you might-as-well be playing a single player game if you ask me.
    2. I've already played through pretty much everything worth playing, including months in LOTRO, WoW, ffxi and even a couple in Warhammer.
    That's about it, really.  I'm not really excited about grinding the beginning quests which all seemed pretty much the same to me, but hopefully the rumor that things pick up with PVP at 20 or 25 turns out to be true.

The fact there are almost no good MMOs out to play, is only one of MANY reasons I will be playing AION.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by darkboarder8

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Since these last years developers kept on putting out pvp oriented games no one pve ones (not super hero) I had to pass time hopping from a f2p game to another.
    Still deciding if i'm gonna play aion or not since I don't like much pvp but can't find any game atm to pass time apart of aion which i didn't find bad in the lvl 1 to 10 I did in closed beta.
    Gonna see if I can stand the pvp in the game or will just cancel it and keep on trying f2p games till FFXIV.

FFXI my friend, unless you've already worn that out. Since if you are waiting for FFXIV, I assume you have.

Yea FFXI I was playing it but stopped when I couldn't find parties to progress. Now they added that new thing for the credit cards and I don't think mine has it plus I would love if they offered the welcome back thingy so I could get back my account and not start from fresh.

• jimmy123jimmy123 Member UncommonPosts: 314

Yep, iv'e been playing AoC since release, tried War & Lothr on the way.

Waiting for SWOR & APB will probably be my next mmo.

• eolseeolse Member UncommonPosts: 80

same game as any other mmo  just a diffrent look , upgraded graphics, what is realy new that is worth 60 bucks?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by templarga

Originally posted by tryklon

I rather play a game that "sucks" than sit in a queue for 3 hours.

I rather sit in a queue 20 mins (the max ive been) than play a game that sucks, thats repetitive and/or doesnt have enough players to fill a decent server

Try 6+ hours last night or 3+ tonight.

Oh wait...I am sorry, I should choose to play without my guild on some random server for no reason until space hopefully opens up for me sometime in the future.

Great plan.

This situation with ridiculously long queues....I have one question about that....

How do you people DO that?  I mean....after work on a weekday, I have maybe 4 hours to myself before I need to go to sleep so that I can get up for work the next day.  My spouse....same thing.  My son, who is in college....same thing.  And PC gaming is a hobby that we all share, although we sometimes play different games from each other.  So I take it that everyone that waits in these "queues" has neither a job, nor school to worry about?  Is that an accurate assessment or has gaming become such an all-consuming addiction, for some, that the rest of their lives don't matter?

I don't get it.  If I had to queue that long for a game....I quite simply wouldn't be playing it. And honestly....I don't know many people who WOULD.  So why do you tolerate that, or better....HOW do you tolerate that? O.o

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Originally posted by girlgeek

I rather play a game that "sucks" than sit in a queue for 3 hours.

I rather sit in a queue 20 mins (the max ive been) than play a game that sucks, thats repetitive and/or doesnt have enough players to fill a decent server

Oh wait...I am sorry, I should choose to play without my guild on some random server for no reason until space hopefully opens up for me sometime in the future.

Great plan.

This situation with ridiculously long queues....I have one question about that....

How do you people DO that?  I mean....after work on a weekday, I have maybe 4 hours to myself before I need to go to sleep so that I can get up for work the next day.  My spouse....same thing.  My son, who is in college....same thing.  And PC gaming is a hobby that we all share, although we sometimes play different games from each other.  So I take it that everyone that waits in these "queues" has neither a job, nor school to worry about?  Is that an accurate assessment or has gaming become such an all-consuming addiction, for some, that the rest of their lives don't matter?

I don't get it.  If I had to queue that long for a game....I quite simply wouldn't be playing it. And honestly....I don't know many people who WOULD.  So why do you tolerate that, or better....HOW do you tolerate that? O.o

Aye, it's a bit of a mystery to me too.

I think there are people who need much less sleep than you or I, and perhaps there are those who or are unemployed or simply on holiday. :)

Also, the impression I've gotten is that the people waiting in very very long queues are choosing a server and faction that their friends or guild chose. So, they are simply keen to play with the people they want to play with. Fair enough really.

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333

Don't worry, Im sure Aion sucks too. Then you can just play with yourself.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• lukaszkamlukaszkam Member Posts: 38

I am gonna play....

I mean, will play LOTRO, because everything else sucks ;)

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by Strap
    Originally posted by girlgeek
    Originally posted by templarga I rather play a game that "sucks" than sit in a queue for 3 hours.

Great plan.

Aye, it's a bit of a mystery to me too.
    I think there are people who need much less sleep than you or I, and perhaps there are those who or are unemployed or simply on holiday. :)
    Also, the impression I've gotten is that the people waiting in very very long queues are choosing a server and faction that their friends or guild chose. So, they are simply keen to play with the people they want to play with. Fair enough really.

That's sort of a "squeaky wheel" thing. After the first two days, it has only been the very most populated servers with queues over a couple minutes. And that, during very populated times (mostly after school lets out). Logging in in the evenings, I have not gotten a queue over 10 minutes since day 1. On my secondary server that is not one of the "popular ones", I have not queued at all.

Day 1 was chaotic, but the problem is definitely already winding down on all but the most popular servers in NA.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

If only reason you're playing because nothing else is out I think you'll be playing for atleast a year. I don't see anything worth while coming out before then MMO wise. Correct me if I'm wrong..