Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Status Update

2»

Comments

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I rarely look at more than WAR article titles and it seems after reading a year one talk that I haven't missed anything. I loved DAoC but this game stinks. I tried so hard and had fun but it felt more like hit and run for the most part. Large battles were chaotic and laggy. I still remember everyone talking about not moving but just tapping forward because of not knowing when game would catch up and you appear in the middle of opposing army. I guess they might have fixed that.

• vvistovvvvistovv Member Posts: 88

A new expansion to expand on that atrocious and offensive game engine?  Mythic, you dunce! 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I think main problem with War is that is PvP oriented. Same problem with any other game that is PvP based. Despite many players feels like Rambos ... you know, we pvp, we do not "play" with PvE, which is for small kids  ... good PvP-ers are rare, for many PvP is simply endless ganking, .... 5 gankers (=wankers) on 1 player .... wow ... real heroes. 

But anyway ... gankers or not .... while for game to be successful PvP game you need a LOT of players CONTEMPORANELY online, for PvE this is never problem, unless for elite quests.

So ... on long run, imo, pvp games do not have future ... at least not in big sub numbers.

• MaxLiaoMaxLiao Member Posts: 10

There were some good things to come from WAR.

1. PvE was simple and quick.  PvE (in a PvP-oriented game) should be little more than learning how to play your class on a rudimentary level and exploring the landscape.  I thought they accomplished that well.

2. Tier-based RvR and RvR lakes.  I love PvP, but I don't like griefing and I get no thrill being level 50 killing a level 10.  (I'm not a 100% hardcore PvPer, and I didn't play on an Open PvP server.)  The way they separated the zones by tiers and the RvR lakes was a very fair way of providing a balance between the PvP and PvE.  Although, as an after thought, I do wish the RvR lakes were a bit larger and the PvE areas a bit smaller.

With any luck, they'll bring this concept to SW:TOR and allow us some good PvP there.

I finally decided to quit WAR after playing DoorHammer for nearly a month.  Scenarios are a diversion, but I like open PvP and it became hard to find.  No one would fight if they couldn't have the bigger Zerg.  There was no point to grind Renown when the gear I have now is better thean the gear I'm grinding.

Prefect, Capellan Confederation (community website)
    Jiang-jun (General), Capellan Confederation Armed Forces
    Leadership Team, Legion of Myth

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by pre_mar

I think main problem with War is that is PvP oriented. Same problem with any other game that is PvP based. Despite many players feels like Rambos ... you know, we pvp, we do not "play" with PvE, which is for small kids  ... good PvP-ers are rare, for many PvP is simply endless ganking, .... 5 gankers (=wankers) on 1 player .... wow ... real heroes. 
    But anyway ... gankers or not .... while for game to be successful PvP game you need a LOT of players CONTEMPORANELY online, for PvE this is never problem, unless for elite quests.
    So ... on long run, imo, pvp games do not have future ... at least not in big sub numbers.

I completely disagree. This debacle has shown that people DO want an RvR-based game. That as many stuck it though the terrible flaws show that there is a market for one of these games done right.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MightfoxMightfox Member Posts: 24

Been playing Warhammer since April, class balance is an issue but not as game breaking as people who shit and cry whenever they lose control for 2 seconds would say(such people need ot stay far, far away from WoW which has even more CC) or simply declare MY CLASS IS BROKEN! because they had a bad scenario run and/or suck at PvP.

Open RvR(RvDoor is pretty accurate) still needs work, but I am thoroughly enjoying leveling multiple characters through scenarios. Good class variety. Scenarios are good fun. I play it a bit more like an FPS than WoW. Play for a few hours, get some action, log off till the next day.

Being able to have fun in scenarios starting at level 5ish makes the game very alt friendly.

Haven't bothered with city sieges directly, though the scenarios for them are rather mediocre. I guess this is disappointing, but the game is not the wreck that all the people who think they are objective analysts would claim.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Mightfox

Been playing Warhammer since April, ...

That says it all right there. I started at the end of beta. April I still had a tiny bit of faith left... quit during their inane balancing attempts in 1.3... have fun as long as you can. In the meantime, Fallen Earth is a blast.

And to the person above saying the problem is that it's PvP... totally wrong, that's WAR's strength not its weakness. Way back when Mythic invented organized RvR with DAoC they had a really fun creative MMO--they did eventually f__k that one up too, but that's a diferent story.

There are lots of people like me that would like nothing better than a well-executed RvR game.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MightfoxMightfox Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by Mightfox

Been playing Warhammer since April, ...

That says it all right there. I started at the end of beta. April I still had a tiny bit of faith left... quit during their inane balancing attempts in 1.3... have fun as long as you can. In the meantime, Fallen Earth is a blast.

And to the person above saying the problem is that it's PvP... totally wrong, that's WAR's strength not its weakness. Way back when Mythic invented organized RvR with DAoC they had a really fun creative MMO--they did eventually f__k that one up too, but that's a diferent story.

There are lots of people like me that would like nothing better than a well-executed RvR game.

Yeah, I can understand that frustration. While I don't care much for open RvR and 5-15 minute scenarios are a perfect fit for me, I can understand people being disappointed by their failure in the former.

And yeah, I don't go near most MMOs until months after launch.