Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG is closing the underpopulated servers

Comments

• RansomDentonRansomDenton Member Posts: 111

I loved this game for years and have hated it longer. I have gone back but only for a month each time. I keep hoping it will return but it never has. It is not un-fun now but it is not worth the money for sure. When will these idiots realize that dead games can be kept alive longer with monthly fees of 4.99. 4.99 is better than 0! Even me and art major knows that!

With all that said it still pains me. It is sad to see them go. I will re-up when they finally turn them off for good but not until then.

Alas, poor SWG! I knew it well :

a game of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy:

now lays shattered and mute:

Broken it seems for no purpose nor shame.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Obraik

No one here is qualified to say which of SOE's games are growing or shrinking.

No need for qualifications to determine growth or shrinkage.  EQ has had a few server merges, and no server expansions, beyond single specialty servers with special rules, in an attempt to lure back former players.  EQ2 had server merges, due to a horrible launch, and no server expansions, beyond the addition of PvP servers, which they have closed a few of since.  MXO is gone.  Planetside has merged down to a single server that you can log into and not be attacked by any opposing players for most of the week (occasionally the other player logs in and sometimes when both players are online they might find each other and fight.  SWG is closing almost half of their servers, which should have been done three years ago, as the vast majority of the playerbase left due to the changes made to the game at the end of 2005.

The only game they have launched recently is Free Realms, which has one server that has a significant population, and then mostly dead servers, much like SWG.  Considering it is a free to play game, the lack of loaded servers is pathetic.

The only current SOE game that is potentially growing is Free Realms, as they haven't merged servers yet.  Outside of Free Realms, since we don't know the ratio of people who play and buy stuff or just play and don't spend a cent, we know the rest of SOE's games have had server merges, meaning there weren't enough subscribers to justify keeping the servers open.

It is very likely that SOE is making more money from their cash shops and card lottery games than they are from their game subscriptions.  It is equally likely that SOE's current focus on their cash shops and card lottery games is the reason for this.

Closing almost half of the SWG servers is an indication that SOE/LEC have finally given up on attracting back the players who left the game due to SOE's gross mismanagement of the game.  Given the upcoming additions to the game, there is no indication that anyone at SOE has any intention of focusing on developing the game towards what the players who are left want, so nothing will really be changed by the realization that the former playerbase is not coming back to the game, because the game is in no way worth playing.

At any rate, the fact remains that the server closing being done to SWG are 13 to few in number.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

I wish just for shits and giggles.. that SOE would load one server with Pre Cu data and watch the results over 2 months.
    Theres no way they dont have copys or builds of Pre Cu. I understand that this request will never happen.. however I do think that it would be quite simple.
    I think in the end and along the way, this has been a pride issue; they just wont accept that their ivy league time tested golden nuggets of an idea failed to satisfy their unapreciated audience.
    A lot of you like to criticize SWG veterans; im convinced that those of you who do clearly never played the game. I dont know one person who wasnt hooked..
    Years later we veterans still cant believe that they fixed something that wasnt broken. despite our protests.

Nobody in their right mind would ever pop up a server that would prove they cost their company millions of dollars over the past few years.  It isn't just pride, it is the fact that it would prove the NGE was a colossal mistake that cost both SOE and LEC millions of dollars, and any concrete proof of it would cost the folks who are still around, who were involved in the decision. their jobs.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Obee

No one here is qualified to say which of SOE's games are growing or shrinking.

No need for qualifications to determine growth or shrinkage.  EQ has had a few server merges, and no server expansions, beyond single specialty servers with special rules, in an attempt to lure back former players.  EQ2 had server merges, due to a horrible launch, and no server expansions, beyond the addition of PvP servers, which they have closed a few of since.  MXO is gone.  Planetside has merged down to a single server that you can log into and not be attacked by any opposing players for most of the week (occasionally the other player logs in and sometimes when both players are online they might find each other and fight.  SWG is closing almost half of their servers, which should have been done three years ago, as the vast majority of the playerbase left due to the changes made to the game at the end of 2005.

The only game they have launched recently is Free Realms, which has one server that has a significant population, and then mostly dead servers, much like SWG.  Considering it is a free to play game, the lack of loaded servers is pathetic.

The only current SOE game that is potentially growing is Free Realms, as they haven't merged servers yet.  Outside of Free Realms, since we don't know the ratio of people who play and buy stuff or just play and don't spend a cent, we know the rest of SOE's games have had server merges, meaning there weren't enough subscribers to justify keeping the servers open.

It is very likely that SOE is making more money from their cash shops and card lottery games than they are from their game subscriptions.  It is equally likely that SOE's current focus on their cash shops and card lottery games is the reason for this.

Closing almost half of the SWG servers is an indication that SOE/LEC have finally given up on attracting back the players who left the game due to SOE's gross mismanagement of the game.  Given the upcoming additions to the game, there is no indication that anyone at SOE has any intention of focusing on developing the game towards what the players who are left want, so nothing will really be changed by the realization that the former playerbase is not coming back to the game, because the game is in no way worth playing.

At any rate, the fact remains that the server closing being done to SWG are 13 to few in number.

It's alot of words you've written but it's still simply based on guessiing - filled with a healthy dose of over-exaggerations ;)  

One question:  If all server merges mean shrinkage, does that mean the MMO marketplace for pretty much all MMO companies (excluding WoW and whoever makes EvE) is shrinking?  Afterall, SOE isn't alone when it comes to merging servers and as I've pointed out numerous times now, this is more the norm then the abnorm for the industry.

• frozenvoidfrozenvoid Member Posts: 40

It's alot of words you've written but it's still simply based on guessiing - filled with a healthy dose of over-exaggerations ;)  

One question:  If all server merges mean shrinkage, does that mean the MMO marketplace for pretty much all MMO companies (excluding WoW and whoever makes EvE) is shrinking?  Afterall, SOE isn't alone when it comes to merging servers and as I've pointed out numerous times now, this is more the norm then the abnorm for the industry.

well gee obraik we are all guessing...even you..due to the fact that smed is SO insecure he will not allow server numbers to be published. you know....because he has SO many...   ;)

of course the market is shrinking. only the top fantasy themepark and the only sci-fi sandbox are growing. why? PEOPLE WONT PAY FOR CRAP.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

At the 2009 fan faire, John Smedley showed a chart detailing the success rate of station cash over the first six months in operation. 

SOE sold 195,000 items between EQ/EQ2 over 6 months, so 32,500 per month.

Roughly 25% of each games population used the service.

I think all the items are between 1-10 dollars, with the majority being under 5, I doubt they are making more money from cash sals than subscriptions.  32,500 item sales per month is obviously much less than that same number in subscription fees.   Essentially they are making a few hundred thousand dollars a month from the cash sales.   A little more than maybe 10-15,000 subscribers I would guess and I am sure EQ/EQ2 have more players than that.

Seeing that 25% of the player base represents an average of 32,500 items sold per month shows some anecdotal evidence how low the populations are between the two games. 

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562
    Originally posted by Daffid011

At the 2009 fan faire, John Smedley showed a chart detailing the success rate of station cash over the first six months in operation. 

SOE sold 195,000 items between EQ/EQ2 over 6 months, so 32,500 per month.

Roughly 25% of each games population used the service.

I think all the items are between 1-10 dollars, with the majority being under 5, I doubt they are making more money from cash sals than subscriptions.  32,500 item sales per month is obviously much less than that same number in subscription fees.   Essentially they are making a few hundred thousand dollars a month from the cash sales.   A little more than maybe 10-15,000 subscribers I would guess and I am sure EQ/EQ2 have more players than that.

Seeing that 25% of the player base represents an average of 32,500 items sold per month shows some anecdotal evidence how low the populations are between the two games. 

Yup this shows when he HAS figures that show he made the company money, he is very public about them. This shows that the reason they keep sub numbers secret is because they suck.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Sure some games merge servers, but you do realize that the market is growing right?  More players and more game companies are in the market. 

Just because SOE is closing servers, doesn't mean the market is shrinking.  It just means soe is losing its share of the market to other companies. 

You can play word games all you like, but the reality is that the mmo market has exploded over the last several years.  Both in number of games and number of players.  The converse has happened to SOE.  As the market grew, their customer base has shrunk and server mergers are the result of that situation. 

Stop trying to rationalize soe by comparing it to other failing products in some wierd attempt to make it look normal. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

While they are "guesses", they are made with facts and figures we have at our disposal. You don't need to look any further than BadgerSmaker's own GCW chart to see the declines. His most recent chart even adds in the player city stats which allow us to make even better "guesses".

Spin it all you like...you may even believe what you type (although I doubt it)...but closing and downsizing is not "good" in this situation. SoE isn't downsizing due to finding new efficiencies or new technology allowing them to do more with less...they simply have LESS. Less players, less customers, less Developers, less interest, less money, less revenue.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

It must really chap your guys rears see this game has enough people in it to keep 13 servers open...that's more then most "popular" MMO's out there....

So much for the prophetic "this game is going to shut down anyday" you folks have been blabbing about for the last 4 years. I guess if you keep it up for enough years you eventually will be right.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Torak

It must really chap your guys rears see this game has enough people in it to keep 13 servers open...that's more then most "popular" MMO's out there....
    So much for the prophetic "this game is going to shut down anyday" you folks have been blabbing about for the last 4 years. I guess if you keep it up for enough years you eventually will be right.

Why do you think that? Not in the least dude.

Contrary to what you may think, I actually hope the game turns around. I wish they'd have added in enough "good content" that rather than closing 12 servers, they needed to open 15. THAT would be an "overwhelming success".

All of us are here because we like STAR WARS...what SoE has done to SWG is a joke dude. Zombies...are you **edit**ing kidding me?!?! That's beyond **edit**ing mental.

And I hate to say, but there aren't enough players to keep 13 servers open...but the current gameplay lags the servers so much that any area with more than 30 players becomes unstable (hence 16v16 BF's with an independent "processor" per BF). They kept 13 because, unlike other MMOs, they need 13 to even make the game 'kinda' playable...not because they need them for people.

I'm guessing Fallen Earth has more active players than SWG. Aion has probably had more beta testers than there are current subscribers to SWG. There are 15-20k subscribers max to SWG...hardly a "success" and most definitely not enough to sustain the game long term.

So...again...I hope every current customer stays and pays to play for decades to come - fully support the TCG!!! Waste every cent you can on the game...it really doesn't bother me in the least! In fact...it actually gives me hope...hope that given enough time and enough $, even SoE may get SWG right.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

The problem is........., there is not enough people to keep "13 servers open" as you state.  It doesn't take much to figure that out.  All you have to do is read the O-Boards.  Many  of the transfer to servers asking for FCTS.  Even the Bria boards have "bria is dead" threads.  However, SOE has shown they will run dead servers for quite a bit of time, albeit, not forever anymore, so you're probably safe on that 1, at least for awhile.

As far a game closure goes, you might have another problem at the release of TOR.  Smedley has used the word "sunset" in conection with SWG already.  Even Smedley thinks TOR will give a hit to the remaining small playerbase in SWG.  It is rumored there is another SW game being processed by SOE, however the rumor includes a "tween browser" based game.  Replacement for SOE from LA for losing SWG?  You decide. 

Looks like the handwriting is on the wall for that 1 just as much as the handwriting was on the wall that server closings were coming.  Some elected to not read the writings on server closings and are saying what a surprise it is to them now.  Could  this be another "got-u" moment for a lot of people when the game goes down also?  That's the part I would believe you actualy have to worry about.

Originally posted by Daffid011

Sure some games merge servers, but you do realize that the market is growing right?  More players and more game companies are in the market. 

Just because SOE is closing servers, doesn't mean the market is shrinking.  It just means soe is losing its share of the market to other companies. 

You can play word games all you like, but the reality is that the mmo market has exploded over the last several years.  Both in number of games and number of players.  The converse has happened to SOE.  As the market grew, their customer base has shrunk and server mergers are the result of that situation. 

Stop trying to rationalize soe by comparing it to other failing products in some wierd attempt to make it look normal. 

You obviously didn't read what I posted.  I'm not suggesting that the MMO market is shrinking.  It was a rhetorical question based on the post I quoted that claimed that because SOE is merging servers that their market is shrinking.  I'm not going to bother explaining it out word for word if you didn't understand it but maybe you should have another read at the meaning behind what I was posting ;)

Personally, I think SOE just has a habbit of over guessing how many servers they need at launch and put too many up.  That doesn't have to mean they're shrinking, it just means that they didn't grow to the levels they thought they would in that game.  Of course, as I said, since netiher you nor I have any kind of numbers this numbers debate is rather pointless.  Neither of us have any kind of insider knowledge to make such claims and both sides have bias' that are going to lead them to their own opinions - not facts.

Originally posted by TUX426

While they are "guesses", they are made with facts and figures we have at our disposal. You don't need to look any further than BadgerSmaker's own GCW chart to see the declines. His most recent chart even adds in the player city stats which allow us to make even better "guesses".

Spin it all you like...you may even believe what you type (although I doubt it)...but closing and downsizing is not "good" in this situation. SoE isn't downsizing due to finding new efficiencies or new technology allowing them to do more with less...they simply have LESS. Less players, less customers, less Developers, less interest, less money, less revenue.

A guess is still a guess no matter how educated you think it might be.  GCW and Player City charts are a glimpse but they can't be quoted as an accurate measure of the population as a whole when they're based on the activities of one playstyle in the game.  The majority of my guild aren't featured on the GCW ranks because they choose not to PvP, for example.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

A guess is still a guess no matter how educated you think it might be.  GCW and Player City charts are a glimpse but they can't be quoted as an accurate measure of the population as a whole when they're based on the activities of one playstyle in the game.  The majority of my guild aren't featured on the GCW ranks because they choose not to PvP, for example.

SWG is closing half of it's servers.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Well, one can look at it this way. The more resources that SOE spends on damaged goods like SWG post NGE, the less they have for other things.  It all contributes to moving the Day closer when Sony Corp will take a long HARD look at SOE.  I'll give Smed credit, hes damn good at spinning and smoke and mirrors. But the Japanese suits will only tolerate that for as long as SOE is contributing to Sony Corps bottom line in a significant fashion.  I've no doubt that SOE will be around for quite awhile. But Smed's time in it is another question. Vir Cottos reponse to Mr Morden ( Bablyon 5) when asked what Vir wanted comes to mind...With Smed as Mr Morden...<Turns and waves>

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

There is "evidence" that soe has lost lots of subs of the past few years.  Some of it based in fact, other times its anecdotal and yes theres a lot of wild speculation.  However, I have yet to see anything that comes close to being fact to suggest soe has maintained or gained subs.  Apart from obvious fanboy drivel like "theres more players in swg today than ever before" theres nothing showing growth at soe, only decline.  If you have any facts or insight that would show different, please...enlighten us.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz

There is "evidence" that soe has lost lots of subs of the past few years.  Some of it based in fact, other times its anecdotal and yes theres a lot of wild speculation.  However, I have yet to see anything that comes close to being fact to suggest soe has maintained or gained subs.  Apart from obvious fanboy drivel like "theres more players in swg today than ever before" theres nothing showing growth at soe, only decline.  If you have any facts or insight that would show different, please...enlighten us.

That's what I've been saying...NO ONE here is qualified to post any facts on this matter.  It's ALL speculation.  Unless of course, someone from SOE wants to break their NDA...

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

That's what I've been saying...NO ONE here is qualified to post any facts on this matter.  It's ALL speculation.  Unless of course, someone from SOE wants to break their NDA...

You're not saying theres more subs now than there was before the NGE, right? Beacuse that's not true....

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

Originally posted by Trubaduren

You're not saying theres more subs now than there was before the NGE, right? Beacuse that's not true....

Pretty sure I haven't posted that at any point. 

Any1 can tell real easily what the population of a server is just by logging on.  In the past year and a half, my friends list is almost down to nothing, the guild I was in has went from very busy (30+ in guildchat) to hardly any1 in guildchat.  (maybe 2 or 3 at best).  The people that I used to know did not transfer to Starsider.  They did not leave the guild and go to another.  They do not remain subscribed and just do not log on as I have some of their phone numbers, emails, etc.  NEWS FLASH to Obraik, they QUIT, just the same as I did taking 3 more account with me, and are playing other games or waiting for other games.

Why?  The list is quite long.  Some did not like the CHANGES with C6CD thru GU-Whatever.  Some do not like how "LS = pve (tank)" on a 68 page thread with no dev attention to it.  Some did not like the last year of the "smaller updates".  Some do not like the PVP in SWG being left totaly alone since C5.  Some are tired of the bugs.  Some are tired of the lag.  Some just lost interest altogether.  Some, all of the above.  etc, etc, etc.

It's quite easy to know how SWG is doing in the population dept. 

Originally posted by Esquire1980

Any1 can tell real easily what the population of a server is just by logging on.  In the past year and a half, my friends list is almost down to nothing, the guild I was in has went from very busy (30+ in guildchat) to hardly any1 in guildchat.  (maybe 2 or 3 at best).  The people that I used to know did not transfer to Starsider.  They did not leave the guild and go to another.  They do not remain subscribed and just do not log on as I have some of their phone numbers, emails, etc.  NEWS FLASH to Obraik, they QUIT, just the same as I did taking 3 more account with me, and are playing other games or waiting for other games.

Why?  The list is quite long.  Some did not like the CHANGES with C6CD thru GU-Whatever.  Some do not like how "LS = pve (tank)" on a 68 page thread with no dev attention to it.  Some did not like the last year of the "smaller updates".  Some do not like the PVP in SWG being left totaly alone since C5.  Some are tired of the bugs.  Some are tired of the lag.  Some just lost interest altogether.  Some, all of the above.  etc, etc, etc.

You can't use your friendslist or guild list to determine a servers population.  Just because your friends aren't online doesn't mean that no one else is logging into the server.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

SWG is shutting down half of it's servers.

Originally posted by Esquire1980

You can't use your friendslist or guild list to determine a servers population.  Just because your friends aren't online doesn't mean that no one else is logging into the server.

You've got to be kidding, right?  You can't be that daft. 

When you play/played on a server everyday for years, you sure get to know who's on it.  You get to know where the new players start, where they go, (Badger even thinks he can count them and there are 100s of 1000s  lol), how much your vendors should be doing, how well your tier 5 city is doing, ALL of it.  And I can most certainly tell you Bria took a large hit in population.  And then there's all the threads on the Bria forums stating the same thing I felt in game, by alot more people than just me. 

How's it feel in that other river, "de-nial" much?  Hard to believe how some1 could argue the facts with just, "You can't do that".  I used to think you had some points but it would seem you just make things up as you go, and to fit your own position, Obraik. 

OK, I've been "Badger-ed".  Go ahead.  Don't even bother to look at reality.  I was on Kauri up to and a little after it's demise.  I certainly know what a dieing server feels like.  But, you just live in your own little world where the sky is pink and the trees are made of suger candy.  You know, there are threads on the O-Boards now made by players that wouldn't see the upcoming closure of the 12 servers and it took them rather by surprise.  You've most probably got a surprise or 2 in store for you from SOE, also.

• troydavidtroydavid Member Posts: 150

meh.