Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest2/Comcast?

WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

This is interesting... Earlier today I was playing Everquest 2 on my comcast connection. No problems at the time. I've attempted to get on six times now(evening) and the station launcher hangs at processing. I switched over to my backup  DSL connection and it goes right in. I switched back to comcast and it hangs. Back to DSL and it goes right in. I've run some checks on the comcast connection, and it not any worse than usual for this time of the evening(given how badly they have overloaded their nodes, the only wonder is that it works even as well as it does). Does anyone else happen to play Everquest2 on comcast on the west coast? It would be fascinating to see if their "traffic management" is interfering with games now.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Oh for gods sakes, call comcast instead of posting on here. They may be having issues with their nodes in your area. Dialup does NOT work on the nodes as cable, not even if its DSL. They are totally different technologies.

Whats a node? Well, you know that box you pass occasionally thats likely a couple of blocks from your house and it hums quietly when you get near it? Thats a node. It takes all the cable connections in about a 6 block radius and connects them together and to the main hub that in turn connects you to the actual internet.

Depending on how big the blow up was in the node or the hub, it can take days to fix, or it may be up in the next five minutes.

But you need to call them. And don't let them tell you this utter bullshit about it being your computer because it isn't.

I worked for comcast for 6 months as an internet technician. Never again.

Let me tell you that job sucks and its mostly because of the people that call in (though I thoroughly question the legality of some of Comcasts practices). I had one lady that told me off me so hard over the phone for over a half hour that she made me shake and cry. I escalated her to a supervisor but the supervisor didn't get to me in time so she hung up. She was mad because comcast uses 8 digit passwords instead of the standard 6 (at the time anyway). They had to take me off the phones for 45 minutes so I could stop crying or I'd have walked right then and there. And she's not the only one that I dealt with like that though she was the worst of them. You wouldn't believe the abuse those tech's suffer from people. And their ability to do anything is severely limited. If they say they can't do something, they mean it. Even if they can, they have rules they have to live by and disobeying them can get them fired. Calls are listened to by the manager without the tech knowing and if the tech is caught disobeying the rules they're given, they'll get written up. They'll get fired if they have three writeups, no excuses, and no ways around it. You have to sign that you accept that when you start with the company.

They pay very well, and give excellent benefits, but the job itself sucks so bad there isn't words. I started having nightmares about going to work and being literally tortured in horrific ways.

So for gods sake , don't let them tell you idiot crap but please be nice. If you feel like the agent isn't helping, ask for their manager.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Well... I did call them. Want to take a wild guess at what their response was?...  Having explained it wasn't the SOE servers(since I could reach them through DSL) and that I had already checked the route and could reach every other site that I tested(and had been on with cable earlier). They then claimed it had to be my system... Typical thoughtless script routine.  I posted on here because some of the *local* gamers on a games list I'm on also have had problems. I was looking to see how wide spread it might be.  Your experiences are much like some other comcast techs have told me, so I'm not surprised. 

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by Moirae

Oh for gods sakes, call comcast instead of posting on here. They may be having issues with their nodes in your area. Dialup does NOT work on the nodes as cable, not even if its DSL. They are totally different technologies.

Whats a node? Well, you know that box you pass occasionally thats likely a couple of blocks from your house and it hums quietly when you get near it? Thats a node. It takes all the cable connections in about a 6 block radius and connects them together and to the main hub that in turn connects you to the actual internet.

Depending on how big the blow up was in the node or the hub, it can take days to fix, or it may be up in the next five minutes.

But you need to call them. And don't let them tell you this utter bullshit about it being your computer because it isn't.

Let me tell you that job sucks and its mostly because of the people that call in (though I thoroughly question the legality of some of Comcasts practices). I had one lady that told me off me so hard over the phone for over a half hour that she made me shake and cry. I escalated her to a supervisor but the supervisor didn't get to me in time so she hung up. She was mad because comcast uses 8 digit passwords instead of the standard 6 (at the time anyway). They had to take me off the phones for 45 minutes so I could stop crying or I'd have walked right then and there. And she's not the only one that I dealt with like that though she was the worst of them. You wouldn't believe the abuse those tech's suffer from people. And their ability to do anything is severely limited. If they say they can't do something, they mean it. Even if they can, they have rules they have to live by and disobeying them can get them fired. Calls are listened to by the manager without the tech knowing and if the tech is caught disobeying the rules they're given, they'll get written up. They'll get fired if they have three writeups, no excuses, and no ways around it. You have to sign that you accept that when you start with the company.

They pay very well, and give excellent benefits, but the job itself sucks so bad there isn't words. I started having nightmares about going to work and being literally tortured in horrific ways.

So for gods sake , don't let them tell you idiot crap but please be nice. If you feel like the agent isn't helping, ask for their manager.

Ive had problems with comcast many times, you are better off finding a different provider, theyre constantly getting themselves in trouble for something or another.

Sorry to the above poster that you had such a hard time working there, Ive worked in the hospitality industry for the last 13 years, and every year people are more and more disrespectful. People have gotten way too hung up on the customer is always right, and most people have a false sense of entitlement. I dont suggest customer service jobs to anyone who doesnt have an incredible tolerance for bullshit. Point blank most of the general populace are a bunch of self centered twits who think you owe them the world when all you are trying to do is get by like everyone else.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Arcken

Ive had problems with comcast many times, you are better off finding a different provider, theyre constantly getting themselves in trouble for something or another.

Sorry to the above poster that you had such a hard time working there, Ive worked in the hospitality industry for the last 13 years, and every year people are more and more disrespectful. People have gotten way too hung up on the customer is always right, and most people have a false sense of entitlement. I dont suggest customer service jobs to anyone who doesnt have an incredible tolerance for bullshit. Point blank most of the general populace are a bunch of self centered twits who think you owe them the world when all you are trying to do is get by like everyone else.

Well, I would if there was any other broadband option available, My DSL is limited to 1.5 meg(at best).  One of the reasons that comcast can get away with its antics is in all too many places it has an effective monopoly on broadband.  I totally agree with your remarks on the general population. People have become much more abusive and rude over the years. Customer service is not an occupation for anyone who can't handle that.  Its a sad commentary on our so called society, but thats the reality.

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

If you work for a company like comcast, which still is a monopoly in many areas, that practices illegal and immoral business, expect to be the bane of the masses. I have comcast and am plagued with internet issues. Calling them results in listening to them read a generic script which always ends with the problem is on your side (the customer) its not their fault but they will gladly charge you and send a tech to your house in 6 - 8 weeks( exaggerated).  The good news is it takes them so long to send a tech, they usually fix the problem that was on their end (over selling typically) before the tech gets to your house to break your perfectly fine working cable. The few techs that have made it inside my house all preached the incompetence of their employer, at the same time contradicting the previous techs that were there proving their own incompetence. 

As for the OP, I'd do everything you can possibly do to avoid dealing with comcast or letting them near your in house cable system. Anything in your home they will attempt to charge for and try convince you something perfectly fine is broken. Then they will shamelessly come back out, put it back the way it was and attempt to charge you yet again. 

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Well, I would if there was any other broadband option available, My DSL is limited to 1.5 meg(at best).  One of the reasons that comcast can get away with its antics is in all too many places it has an effective monopoly on broadband.  I totally agree with your remarks on the general population. People have become much more abusive and rude over the years. Customer service is not an occupation for anyone who can't handle that.  Its a sad commentary on our so called society, but thats the reality.

People in the customer service occupation need to understand 1 thing and 1 thing only. People are mad and not at them, but as a representative of the company, you serve as their vessel to funnel their anger. So before CS reps get all defensive you should also understand the customer is usually right. We spent money and we do have entitlement. Companies and corporations understand this, and they also understand assigning low level employees with no training to deal with these masses of people is cheaper then admitting fault and doing the right thing.  If you want to work in customer support do it for a company you are passionate about and believe in.

I honestly could care less if the guy on the other end of the phone is just trying to get by like the rest of us when his employers are robbing their customers and breaking promises.  I'm not going to feel bad if the guy driving the getaway car is killed by the cops after his bank robber employers shot people in the bank. The same applies to CS reps that work for companies with immoral business practices, obviously not to the same extreme but on a much larger scale that makes up for it IMO.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by Slineer

Originally posted by Wraithone

People in the customer service occupation need to understand 1 thing and 1 thing only. People are mad and not at them, but as a representative of the company, you serve as their vessel to funnel their anger. So before CS reps get all defensive you should also understand the customer is usually right. We spent money and we do have entitlement. Companies and corporations understand this, and they also understand assigning low level employees with no training to deal with these masses of people is cheaper then admitting fault and doing the right thing.  If you want to work in customer support do it for a company you are passionate about and believe in.

I honestly could care less if the guy on the other end of the phone is just trying to get by like the rest of us when his employers are robbing their customers and breaking promises.  I'm not going to feel bad if the guy driving the getaway car is killed by the cops after his bank robber employers shot people in the bank. The same applies to CS reps that work for companies with immoral business practices, obviously not to the same extreme but on a much larger scale that makes up for it IMO.

Were all people and deserve respect on some level. you act as if its a crime to be employed by a not so great company. tell you what though we have bills, kids, and other finances to take care of. At the risk of stereotyping you, Id be willing to bet you make a good amount of money and have never had to put up with someone spitting in your face across a counter. The person on the other end of the line is just a person. it amazes me that you would stick up for the abuse of regular people just trying to get by. If I see someone disrespecting someone at their job, i say something, everytime. In fact it happens to me quite often. I dont care who the person across the counter is show some respect. Do unto others is the greatest mantra of all time. its just too damn bad we Americans are such a bunch of spoiled babies that we have to throw fits at innocent people instead of handling things in a civlized manner. You know how many times in 32 years that ive gone off on someone across that counter? 0. And i wont accept an excuse for demeaning people who have done you no harm.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

nha everquest2 has issue,i have ping from 1500 to 5500 when i move ,never heard of a bad ping while moving its the first game i see do that 

aion had problem they patched fixed

wow same patched fixed

so i guess this game been running so long 

they re due to patch whatever those other 2 company patched for 

if you want to know more 

go on aionsource it has to do around 2 company when you trace 

one was what i had level3 but since i dont have the connection info fo eq2 

cant tracert it to see if same bull isgoing on here(90% sure its the same bull