Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad release planning

CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I am kind of getting tired with the release schedule most games have.  It seems alot are adament about competing for the christmas rush rather then doing even releases over the year.  Such as over this summer was a really dry release season.  If 1 good game released this summer, it would have probably sold incredibly.  Now look at the fall release schedule of games I was interested in playing:

• AION Sept.25th
  • Requiem Memento Mori Sept. 24th
  • Order of War Sept. 22nd
  • Cities XL Oct. 9th
  • Huxley Q4 2009
  • Champions Online Sept. 1st
  • SUN Q4 2009
  • DIRT 2 Sept. 11th
  • Crimecraft Aug. 25th

Comments

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

Doesn't it make more sence to try and have something out for the christmas rush? Obviously that is when the sales will be much higher. Rather than in the summer when people are on vaction, summer jobs, or heaven forbid...outside enjoying summery type weather! Or releasing after christmas when people are broke and are gonna be busy paying off their visas for the next 6 months after christmas shopping.

Fall is the perfect time for games being released. Not too far from Christmas,  so the games will still be fresh and people are still interested. After the summer break when people are home from vacations and spending more time at home.  Days become a bit shorter, so more time is spend in the house in the evenings.

Ever notice that new tv season starts in fall and ends in spring? Summer is for reruns. Because fewer people watch as much  tv. Movies have their biggest season during the summer? Cause more kids going out and watching movies during the summer break.

Games are a sitting at home type thing. So makes more sence to release during the time that people are gonna be sitting at home more often.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I think it's quite annoying so many triple A titles are released at the same time.

Another recent trend I find annoying are pre - order bonuses. What this means is that some content, such as a character, levels or abilities, are locked for everyone who doesn't buy the game day one. This is especially annoying in holiday season.

It just pisses me off. Just because I don't buy the game the minute it comes out, I don't deserve the full content?

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

that's what really sux with the gaming publishers, they want to out sell each other, so they always release games the same month with their rival companies

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Cleffy

I am kind of getting tired with the release schedule most games have.  It seems alot are adament about competing for the christmas rush rather then doing even releases over the year.  Such as over this summer was a really dry release season.  If 1 good game released this summer, it would have probably sold incredibly.  Now look at the fall release schedule of games I was interested in playing:

AION Sept.25th
    Requiem Memento Mori Sept. 24th
    Order of War Sept. 22nd
    Cities XL Oct. 9th
    Huxley Q4 2009
    Champions Online Sept. 1st
    SUN Q4 2009
    DIRT 2 Sept. 11th
    Crimecraft Aug. 25th

Its'pretty good release planning to me, that is if games make it at their initial release date as often they will not make it at their first release date scedule. Anyway like a few laready said the summer time is not a good time to release games, so summer released games do not have to sell incridible due to many reasons already said in this topic by others. Of course they can do incridible, but then the game truly needs to be incridible aswell.

Also planning games that come out almost at the same time gives gamecompany hope that people wil enter their game and forget the other one that might be released near the same time.

With MMORPG I don't need severall MMO games to play, I choose one and if it fits me I try to devote and stick to that one game, mainly because I like many other genre's and do play other genre of games during my time in a MMORPG and playing 2 MMORPG with the already limited time I have would simply be to much.