Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: PAX - Updating on the Updates

2»

Comments

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by InvaderGUI

Originally posted by miagisan

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to thae game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hane the graphics are secont ot none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

the point is whatever you want to make it...there are no quests or linear progression....you can control space, the market, become a superpower, become an explorer, become a industrial mogul...etc...the limits are your own

If I wanted to pay money to use my imagination to pretend to "control space, the market, become a superpower...ect... then I would do back to paper and pen RPGs.  And there are tons of quests in the game. I completed several of them. In fact I did nothing but quests the entire time I played the trial. A I did was go from spacestation to space station completing quests. Bareley saw any combat, barely saw any people, (allthough they sure did spam the chat) , Nothing but looong travel from space station to space station completing quests.

Ahh yes i see what happened here. you thought EvE would be a lot like wow where you get to the main content by grinding the Quests leveling up till you reach the high level area where the PvP is at.

That is not how EvE works the 'Quests' are just a means to earn cash for the real main part of EvE which is basically joining a player run Guild [or as they are known in EvE a Corp] and working together with your Guildmates to a common goal which can be several things. such as....

Chosing a constilation and Pirating in that area. [lots of PvP here]

Making your corp into a rich manufacturing company. [Not so much PvP here but it does ahppen when compatators turn up]

Running a tech 2 manufacturing station. [same PvP as for manufacturers exept you will also have friendly corps too as aprt of your manufacturing chain].

I cant really be asked to list all the options but EvE is basically a sandbox style of game and that basically means you make your own goals. Everything else in EvE such as the NPC's the Quests and stations etc are just tools to help you achieve your imaginations desires.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• InvaderGUIInvaderGUI Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to the game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hand the graphics are second to none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

Eve does not hold your hand.  It requires you to use your imagination and use the tools they give you to do whatever you want.

As people have said before joining a good corp is important to learning the game.  Solo players can easily get overwhelmed with the volume of information.

Volume of information? The only information I got overwhelmed with was the lack there of. So again I ask  What other purpose besides getting missions and spending hours endlessly going from starport to starport is there to the game?  Even joining a corp does not change anything. Besides being forced to join a guild imo is lame and should have no facture in the enjoyability of a game. I dont need my hand held I just need to be pointed in the rite directiion or any direction. And what tools does Eve offer to be able to do what I want. Can I fly freely 100% under my own controlls? Can I have an option not to auto follow and auto fire in combat? I would really love for someone to tell  me other then missions and the occasional rescource harvest what else does this game have to offer. 

Let me tell you a story. I log in to Eve totally believing the hype that this game is differant and acually does let the player decide ones own fate. I create my avatar, get to the tutorial only to find out in great disapointment that my hand IS held and directed towards a limitless supply of meaningless mission and recources gathering in a grind fashion. I try going off and exploring what else the game had to offer only to find out that I am unable to do anything but those missions that are at the first spacestation I ever visited witch is now 2 hours of travel away from where I ended up, because I figured I would keep traveling and exploring to see if anything would happen. Well something did happen.  I got bored. Not even once in the 2 hours of traveling and exploring did I ever encounter any hostiles. It was just endless lightspeed and jumpgate visials for 2 hours. I played like this for a week straight. The video promised so much but in the end Eve really has nothing to offer. Interesting concept but it is nothing more then a better looking trimmed down version of Privateer in an MMO format. Yes you all remember the game that this one was modeled from? Wing Commander Privateer had a way better story that made you feel part of the universe the game was set in. Does Eve have any lore at all? II never felt like I was part of anything but a mission grinder.

• IAMSCIENCEIAMSCIENCE Member Posts: 8

...your not reading the posts above brother. Quit crying and go back to a much more deep and hold-your-hand experience....may i recommend City of Heroes.....

This whole "whats the point" crying is proof you want a game that TELLS you what the point is, your a gamer that need to fit into a category/class and EVE doesn't not limit you like that. Your original "whats the point" AKA the "So What" HAS been answered a few times above....if you dont get it EVE isnt for you

EVE isnt for everybody, but its definitely for the smarter ones.....

in a side note, I agree with the post above, why have a guy who doesnt play EVE write about it....i truly hope MMORPG employs a few guys that do, there are plenty within the community you could hire to do it for free out of the love EVE players have for the game so, dont neglect that.

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

Originally posted by miagisan

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to thae game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hane the graphics are secont ot none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

the point is whatever you want to make it...there are no quests or linear progression....you can control space, the market, become a superpower, become an explorer, become a industrial mogul...etc...the limits are your own

If I wanted to pay money to use my imagination to pretend to "control space, the market, become a superpower...ect... then I would do back to paper and pen RPGs.  And there are tons of quests in the game. I completed several of them. In fact I did nothing but quests the entire time I played the trial. A I did was go from spacestation to space station completing quests. Bareley saw any combat, barely saw any people, (allthough they sure did spam the chat) , Nothing but looong travel from space station to space station completing quests.

Ahh yes i see what happened here. you thought EvE would be a lot like wow where you get to the main content by grinding the Quests leveling up till you reach the high level area where the PvP is at.

That is not how EvE works the 'Quests' are just a means to earn cash for the real main part of EvE which is basically joining a player run Guild [or as they are known in EvE a Corp] and working together with your Guildmates to a common goal which can be several things. such as....

Chosing a constilation and Pirating in that area. [lots of PvP here]

Making your corp into a rich manufacturing company. [Not so much PvP here but it does ahppen when compatators turn up]

Running a tech 2 manufacturing station. [same PvP as for manufacturers exept you will also have friendly corps too as aprt of your manufacturing chain].

I cant really be asked to list all the options but EvE is basically a sandbox style of game and that basically means you make your own goals. Everything else in EvE such as the NPC's the Quests and stations etc are just tools to help you achieve your imaginations desires.

Im looking to get so far away from WoW and EQ style games its not even funny. Thats why I am posting so much in this thread. I am sooo disapointed by all the MMOs out there that are just EQ2WoW clones under the guise of another IP. And no Eve does not give one the tools to achieve my imaginations desires. At least not when one is forced to join a corp to so call enjoy the game or to be able to acomplish many personal goals and desires I thought Eve would provide. I am forced to play MMOs mostly solo or with just my wife because of my time constraints. And the hours I am able to play are sucky because I work nights. I would love to play a game like Eve and do the grp thing but unfortunatly im an adult that has a job and a famly to support so my playing time is short and I want to make it sweet  as possible.  I dont have the luxary of only having a part time job or living in my parents basement on their dime like all of you aparently do. But does that mean I should pay for game and monthly sub if  am forced to join a guild ? I just thought that Eve was gonna be the game to replace the hole that EQ1 left me after the SoE devs ruined it.

Originally posted by IAMSCIENCE

...your not reading the posts above brother. Quit crying and go back to a much more deep and hold-your-hand experience....may i recommend City of Heroes.....
    This whole "whats the point" crying is proof you want a game that TELLS you what the point is, your a gamer that need to fit into a category/class and EVE doesn't not limit you like that. Your original "whats the point" AKA the "So What" HAS been answered a few times above....if you dont get it EVE isnt for you

in a side note, I agree with the post above, why have a guy who doesnt play EVE write about it....i truly hope MMORPG employs a few guys that do, there are plenty within the community you could hire to do it for free out of the love EVE players have for the game so, dont neglect that.

Not the smarter ones just the lame ones living on their parents dime with no life or job that have the time to get into a game that caters only to those with no life. And its hard to get into a game that had retarded lame 12 year olds like you in the community that are unwilling to help the new player get into a corp or even answer a basic interface question without getting flamed for no other reason then being new.  And this whole "whats the point " stems from worthless wastes of life like you calling the newbs names for trying to understand something new. And it's not that I dont get Eve because I do, it's that I just need more to the game that I can get into in short peoriods at a time then just aimlessy wandering about or doing boring and almost pointless missions except for grinding fundage. And FYI CoX is not anything near a deep game. And dont get me started on how bad CoX is. And if you have such a hard on for Eve answer me this. Does Eve have a tradeskill system to be able to research and customize your own ship hardware and possably even discover new tech and or invent new tech? Can a player reverse engineer techs and then research new and differant ways to use them? huh? can you? Now when asked this question one night in newb chat I got several nice flames about being newb and that Eve just wasnt my type of game. Based on that how do you thing I feel about this game and the others who play it. And multiply that with thae fact that Eve is very unfriendly to solo players and maybe thats why I think there is no point to this game other then doing missions because the community is that kind of full on retard.

• ProfanityJCProfanityJC Member Posts: 32

InvaderGUI, if you still have access to EVE (haven't unsubbed or your trial is out), I highly recommend checking out the in game corporation called EVE University.

Their whole purpose in the game is to help newer players find their place in the game. If you want to see what PVP is about, they will take you on some pvp flights, if you want to see what wormwhole exploration is about, they can help you in that direction too. They can help with any part of the game.

It's worth checking out if you still have any desire left to see what this game is.

hope this helps a bit.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

At least not when one is forced to join a corp to so call enjoy the game or to be able to acomplish many personal goals and desires I thought Eve would provide. I am forced to play MMOs mostly solo or with just my wife because of my time constraints. And the hours I am able to play are sucky because I work nights. I would love to play a game like Eve and do the grp thing but unfortunatly im an adult that has a job and a famly to support so my playing time is short and I want to make it sweet  as possible. 

The game does not force you to join a corp, in fact it does not force you to anything. Still, you have to keep on mind that the game is based on player competition/interaction.

Don't get fooled by statements that having a corp is a 'must do', or 'eve is about corps', or 'the game starts once you join a corp', etc.. It's all bullshit.
    It certainly helps but because of game design, there are many different corps. Many of them just gather people who actualy does not want to be in a corp but enjoy some kind of community - so called freelancer corps, all sorts of organizations and alike.

Unlike EQ or other games of that kind, EVE does not stand on player progression via levels and/or gear. You can set your own goals and ways how to achieve them.
    EVE is very casual friendly game. Skills are trained in real time so you can spend your limited time doing things you enjoy.

It takes some time to understand how the game works and I am not saying it is easy to play, there is no guidance.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to the game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hand the graphics are second to none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

Eve does not hold your hand.  It requires you to use your imagination and use the tools they give you to do whatever you want.

As people have said before joining a good corp is important to learning the game.  Solo players can easily get overwhelmed with the volume of information.

Volume of information? The only information I got overwhelmed with was the lack there of. So again I ask  What other purpose besides getting missions and spending hours endlessly going from starport to starport is there to the game? 

You reply without paying any attention to the information people are trying to share with you.  In hopes that you aren't simply trolling, one more try.

Mission running isn't EVE. Its one tiny part which CCP uses to introduce players to the game mechanics because its easy and safer than some other activities. 

You could have chosen a mining career, though I suspect that would be even less to your liking.

But say you don't want to do either, you could take up a career as a trader.  Start small, buying ammo from stations located in new player zones and haul it to the major trade hubs for sale.  Or just go to a trade hub like Jita or Rens and try to buy low and sell high, choice is yours.

You could start training up for a career in exploring. Even if you do nothing but scan in hi sec you can find some pretty good loot, however it tends to be a career for a more veteran player.

You could be an industrialist, and learn how to build and sell things, ammo's a great place to start btw, will get the cash coming in pretty quickly. 

You could even decide to forgo all PVE, sell a few plexes for cash, outfit some frigates, and join a faction war or pirate corp and have it with nothing but but your starting ships.  Even veteran corps need willing tacklers, and you can get in on the kill mails right from the start.

Now, if you want to learn how to succeed at all of these things, other than joining a training corp like EVE university, your only other recourse is to Google guides on the internet.  You'll only find like dozens on every subject I've listed above and if you search a few other threads you find links to many of them.  Yes, EVE takes a bit more work and effort on your part, they will not walk you through this. I'm currently reading 3 guides on Wormhole space life, and still its no substitute for working with a corp that's living in a wormhole.

Even joining a corp does not change anything.  Yes, it most certainly can, if you join the right corp.  Besides being forced to join a guild imo is lame and should have no facture in the enjoyability of a game.  EVE doesn't care what you believe, it is what it is.  You can stop fighting it and join in the fun, or continue to reject good advice and be miserable.  BTW, I've been corpless for past 3 months or so and get along quite well, but doesn't mean I won't join another one when I venture into WH space. 

I dont need my hand held I just need to be pointed in the rite directiion or any direction. The help is out there for the asking, but how you ask and from whom makes all the difference in the world.  And what tools does Eve offer to be able to do what I want.  All sorts of tools, as I've mentioned above, and that was an abbreviated list I assure you.  Can I fly freely 100% under my own controlls?  Depends what you mean.  Between gates you click to move, as you well know, but during pvp fights you most certainly can and do free fly, especially if you want to live. Is it atmospheric flight controls like Privateer? No, of course not, but how well you fly your ship can make all the difference between winning in losing. Can I have an option not to auto follow and auto fire in combat? You can and frequent will travel on your own and not autofollow, but auto fire is pretty much standard, you wouldn't want to manually fire 8 guns at a time, would distract you from manuevering your ship and paying attention to your tactical situation which is far more important in most cases. I would really love for someone to tell  me other then missions and the occasional rescource harvest what else does this game have to offer.   In addition to the above, you have the opportunity to start and run a corporation, perhaps even a major alliance, and even try to take control of all of 0.0 space. Several have tried, all have failed so far.  Perhaps you could be the first? 

Let me tell you a story. I log in to Eve totally believing the hype that this game is differant and acually does let the player decide ones own fate. It absolutely does, but sometimes you have to bide your time and suffer through some prerequisites to reach your greater goals. I create my avatar, get to the tutorial only to find out in great disapointment that my hand IS held and directed towards a limitless supply of meaningless mission and recources gathering in a grind fashion. Well of course it did, it was a tutorial after all. You could have skipped it and just jumped straight in (I don't advise this) I try going off and exploring what else the game had to offer only to find out that I am unable to do anything but those missions that are at the first spacestation (not true at all, once you get past the tutorial missions (which you can turn off if you didn't finish them) you can fly missions for any misison agent that you have faction for.  There are web sites out of game to help you locate these agents which I could point you to, you have but to ask. ) I ever visited witch is now 2 hours of travel away from where I ended up, because I figured I would keep traveling and exploring to see if anything would happen. Well something did happen.  I got bored. Not even once in the 2 hours of traveling and exploring did I ever encounter any hostiles.  You got lucky.  EVE is huge, and while you didn't run into any low sec systems, had you chosen a different route you could have ended up in one within 6 hops of a starter zone, and you might have found far more hostiles than you would hope for. It was just endless lightspeed and jumpgate visials for 2 hours. I played like this for a week straight. (This makes me wonder about your ability to really understand EVE. You didn't think something might not be quite right and do some research regarding the game to see if you overlooked something?  Because that's what EVE requires, the dedication to research the game to better understand how to play it. )  The video promised so much but in the end Eve really has nothing to offer.  (you just missed it, the contents there, but you have to work a bit to find it)  Interesting concept but it is nothing more then a better looking trimmed down version of Privateer in an MMO format. Yes you all remember the game that this one was modeled from? Wing Commander Privateer had a way better story that made you feel part of the universe the game was set in. Privateer told you a story, in EVE you create your own story, and it is different for everyone.  SWoTOR might be more your style I'm thinking)  Does Eve have any lore at all? More than you could ever imagine, from the original migration through the EVE gate (which you can still visit btw) to the competition between the four competing races, to the faction wars between the four races, to the player run alliances that role play to the lore and the games website contstant updates and supports.  You can actually feel like you live in the EVE universe if you care to take it that far. II never felt like I was part of anything but a mission grinder.  Again, you missed the boat, and realize that some people run the trial 3 or 4 times to finally get it.

But if all your going to do is counter my information with your own beliefs then our conversation has come to an end, because I really don't think you are looking for answers, you are just enjoying arguing with us and being ill-informed you are on the losing side of it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Volume of information? The only information I got overwhelmed with was the lack there of. So again I ask  What other purpose besides getting missions and spending hours endlessly going from starport to starport is there to the game? 

You reply without paying any attention to the information people are trying to share with you.  In hopes that you aren't simply trolling, one more try.

Mission running isn't EVE. Its one tiny part which CCP uses to introduce players to the game mechanics because its easy and safer than some other activities. 

You could have chosen a mining career, though I suspect that would be even less to your liking.

But say you don't want to do either, you could take up a career as a trader.  Start small, buying ammo from stations located in new player zones and haul it to the major trade hubs for sale.  Or just go to a trade hub like Jita or Rens and try to buy low and sell high, choice is yours.

You could start training up for a career in exploring. Even if you do nothing but scan in hi sec you can find some pretty good loot, however it tends to be a career for a more veteran player.

You could be an industrialist, and learn how to build and sell things, ammo's a great place to start btw, will get the cash coming in pretty quickly. 

You could even decide to forgo all PVE, sell a few plexes for cash, outfit some frigates, and join a faction war or pirate corp and have it with nothing but but your starting ships.  Even veteran corps need willing tacklers, and you can get in on the kill mails right from the start.

Now, if you want to learn how to succeed at all of these things, other than joining a training corp like EVE university, your only other recourse is to Google guides on the internet.  You'll only find like dozens on every subject I've listed above and if you search a few other threads you find links to many of them.  Yes, EVE takes a bit more work and effort on your part, they will not walk you through this. I'm currently reading 3 guides on Wormhole space life, and still its no substitute for working with a corp that's living in a wormhole.

Even joining a corp does not change anything.  Yes, it most certainly can, if you join the right corp.  Besides being forced to join a guild imo is lame and should have no facture in the enjoyability of a game.  EVE doesn't care what you believe, it is what it is.  You can stop fighting it and join in the fun, or continue to reject good advice and be miserable.  BTW, I've been corpless for past 3 months or so and get along quite well, but doesn't mean I won't join another one when I venture into WH space. 

I dont need my hand held I just need to be pointed in the rite directiion or any direction. The help is out there for the asking, but how you ask and from whom makes all the difference in the world.  And what tools does Eve offer to be able to do what I want.  All sorts of tools, as I've mentioned above, and that was an abbreviated list I assure you.  Can I fly freely 100% under my own controlls?  Depends what you mean.  Between gates you click to move, as you well know, but during pvp fights you most certainly can and do free fly, especially if you want to live. Is it atmospheric flight controls like Privateer? No, of course not, but how well you fly your ship can make all the difference between winning in losing. Can I have an option not to auto follow and auto fire in combat? You can and frequent will travel on your own and not autofollow, but auto fire is pretty much standard, you wouldn't want to manually fire 8 guns at a time, would distract you from manuevering your ship and paying attention to your tactical situation which is far more important in most cases. I would really love for someone to tell  me other then missions and the occasional rescource harvest what else does this game have to offer.   In addition to the above, you have the opportunity to start and run a corporation, perhaps even a major alliance, and even try to take control of all of 0.0 space. Several have tried, all have failed so far.  Perhaps you could be the first? 

Let me tell you a story. I log in to Eve totally believing the hype that this game is differant and acually does let the player decide ones own fate. It absolutely does, but sometimes you have to bide your time and suffer through some prerequisites to reach your greater goals. I create my avatar, get to the tutorial only to find out in great disapointment that my hand IS held and directed towards a limitless supply of meaningless mission and recources gathering in a grind fashion. Well of course it did, it was a tutorial after all. You could have skipped it and just jumped straight in (I don't advise this) I try going off and exploring what else the game had to offer only to find out that I am unable to do anything but those missions that are at the first spacestation (not true at all, once you get past the tutorial missions (which you can turn off if you didn't finish them) you can fly missions for any misison agent that you have faction for.  There are web sites out of game to help you locate these agents which I could point you to, you have but to ask. ) I ever visited witch is now 2 hours of travel away from where I ended up, because I figured I would keep traveling and exploring to see if anything would happen. Well something did happen.  I got bored. Not even once in the 2 hours of traveling and exploring did I ever encounter any hostiles.  You got lucky.  EVE is huge, and while you didn't run into any low sec systems, had you chosen a different route you could have ended up in one within 6 hops of a starter zone, and you might have found far more hostiles than you would hope for. It was just endless lightspeed and jumpgate visials for 2 hours. I played like this for a week straight. (This makes me wonder about your ability to really understand EVE. You didn't think something might not be quite right and do some research regarding the game to see if you overlooked something?  Because that's what EVE requires, the dedication to research the game to better understand how to play it. )  The video promised so much but in the end Eve really has nothing to offer.  (you just missed it, the contents there, but you have to work a bit to find it)  Interesting concept but it is nothing more then a better looking trimmed down version of Privateer in an MMO format. Yes you all remember the game that this one was modeled from? Wing Commander Privateer had a way better story that made you feel part of the universe the game was set in. Privateer told you a story, in EVE you create your own story, and it is different for everyone.  SWoTOR might be more your style I'm thinking)  Does Eve have any lore at all? More than you could ever imagine, from the original migration through the EVE gate (which you can still visit btw) to the competition between the four competing races, to the faction wars between the four races, to the player run alliances that role play to the lore and the games website contstant updates and supports.  You can actually feel like you live in the EVE universe if you care to take it that far. II never felt like I was part of anything but a mission grinder.  Again, you missed the boat, and realize that some people run the trial 3 or 4 times to finally get it.

But if all your going to do is counter my information with your own beliefs then our conversation has come to an end, because I really don't think you are looking for answers, you are just enjoying arguing with us and being ill-informed you are on the losing side of it.

Thank you all for the infor for Eve. And to clear up something. I am looking for a SWG type of game pre NGE. I am looking for something along the lines of Elderscrolls  type game where there are no specific classes to start with you just are in the world making your own. I have been playing games since before most of you were even an itch in your daddies pants. So I know what a good game is and Eve is  a good game just have dificulty with ingame flamers that are rude to newbs when im trying to figure out the ins and outs of the game. I would love to enjoy a game such as Eve but  have to do it mostly solo because its hard to meet many people that understand that I can and will have to log occasionally without warning and most take that as rudeness. couple that with the hours I can only get on and that really limits me. And my hatred and impatience towards flamers and elitest ftards kinda left a bad taste towards Eve. But most of the responses here have answered alot of my questions about living the life of a solo pirate or merc or whatever and also gave me new hope about Eve's community. Thank you all again for acually taking the time to give me alot of details and info. And I appologize if I came off as just a total hater of Eve . I not at all a hater just ignorant to the many ways of Eve. I went in playing Eve accually expecting to sort of relive the glory days of when I played Privateer and did not realize that there could accually be a game on the market that could empower my fantisy self to go back to those days and make that experience a reality and so much more. I dont use the spyware google I just went to my normal info sites like Allah, gamespy ect ect to get my info and have to say those sites do a very poor job at providing rescources for Eve. I mean come on Allah has a story about Pirates of the burning sea as the first article on the Eve page. So you can imagine a new players frustration if using sites like these to gather info on Eve.

• lovechiefslovechiefs Member UncommonPosts: 157

Well,I have always liked Eve and CCP.For me CCP is the top company in the MMO market.
    Recently I left Eve again for personal reasons,but I do plan on returning to Eve next month or so and this time stay for good,no matter what.
    I am looking forward to the new graphics,new ships,walking in stations and such.

Thanks CCP

• mmo4lifemmo4life Member Posts: 136

InvaderGUI  you might want to start with EVElopedia site created by ccp and maintained with the help of the playerbase.

here is the link,  wiki.eveonline.com/wiki/Main_Page

Here you will find a great starting point for lore, backstories, info and details on everything eve, and links to many other helpful sites. This is the perfect place to start in answering many of the questions you may still have.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by IAMSCIENCE

Not the smarter ones just the lame ones living on their parents dime with no life or job that have the time to get into a game that caters only to those with no life. And its hard to get into a game that had retarded lame 12 year olds like you in the community that are unwilling to help the new player get into a corp or even answer a basic interface question without getting flamed for no other reason then being new.  And this whole "whats the point " stems from worthless wastes of life like you calling the newbs names for trying to understand something new. And it's not that I dont get Eve because I do, it's that I just need more to the game that I can get into in short peoriods at a time then just aimlessy wandering about or doing boring and almost pointless missions except for grinding fundage. And FYI CoX is not anything near a deep game. And dont get me started on how bad CoX is. And if you have such a hard on for Eve answer me this. Does Eve have a tradeskill system to be able to research and customize your own ship hardware and possably even discover new tech and or invent new tech? Can a player reverse engineer techs and then research new and differant ways to use them? huh? can you? Now when asked this question one night in newb chat I got several nice flames about being newb and that Eve just wasnt my type of game. Based on that how do you thing I feel about this game and the others who play it. And multiply that with thae fact that Eve is very unfriendly to solo players and maybe thats why I think there is no point to this game other then doing missions because the community is that kind of full on retard.

Let's face it, you need to go back to your mindless FPS games because you don't want to devote any time to learn a game.  The only thing rants like the above do, is tell the world that you are lazy and don't have a clue what a MMO is all about.  Repeatedly posting nonsense in this thread just makes the readers laugh at you.  Maybe you should just admit this game is well beyond your playstyle and leave it at that.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

InvaderGui ignore the people in local they are idiots. I do suggest joining a corp with a like minded goal not because you have to but it starts you off with some networking so you can get the right information from the people who actually do the stuff. Corps cut the wheat from the chaff for your information purposes. A corp will take your general direction and focus it down to what is needed.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Thank you all for the infor for Eve. And to clear up something. I am looking for a SWG type of game pre NGE. I am looking for something along the lines of Elderscrolls  type game where there are no specific classes to start with you just are in the world making your own. I have been playing games since before most of you were even an itch in your daddies pants. So I know what a good game is and Eve is  a good game just have dificulty with ingame flamers that are rude to newbs when im trying to figure out the ins and outs of the game. I would love to enjoy a game such as Eve but  have to do it mostly solo because its hard to meet many people that understand that I can and will have to log occasionally without warning and most take that as rudeness. couple that with the hours I can only get on and that really limits me. And my hatred and impatience towards flamers and elitest ftards kinda left a bad taste towards Eve. But most of the responses here have answered alot of my questions about living the life of a solo pirate or merc or whatever and also gave me new hope about Eve's community. Thank you all again for acually taking the time to give me alot of details and info. And I appologize if I came off as just a total hater of Eve . I not at all a hater just ignorant to the many ways of Eve. I went in playing Eve accually expecting to sort of relive the glory days of when I played Privateer and did not realize that there could accually be a game on the market that could empower my fantisy self to go back to those days and make that experience a reality and so much more. I dont use the spyware google I just went to my normal info sites like Allah, gamespy ect ect to get my info and have to say those sites do a very poor job at providing rescources for Eve. I mean come on Allah has a story about Pirates of the burning sea as the first article on the Eve page. So you can imagine a new players frustration if using sites like these to gather info on Eve.

Unfortunately, EVE is not SWG pre-CU, (nor Privateer)  and I doubt the world will ever see the likes of such a game again.

Regardless, it does offer an amazing game experience if you'll focus on what it has rather than where it differes from other games.

I understand about your need to log off quickly, and there are many corps that openly advertise that they understand RL comes first and they won't expect you to put the game ahead of them.

This link will take you to the EVE recruiting forums where you can take your time and read through the different offerings and try to find the right corp for you.

www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp

As for age comparisons, I'm in my early 50's so I doubt you're a whole lot older than I. 

The good news is EVE is full of players on the more "mature" side and its not that hard to find them. (There's entire corps dedicated to 30+ year old gamers)

If you like this site has a lot of great guides you can start with, and I recommend this one as a great place for beginning players to get a good idea about the game play mechanics.

eve.battleclinic.com/guide/3510-BattleClinic-s-EVE-New-Player-Guide.html

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZeroBoogieZeroBoogie Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by lovechiefs

Well,I have always liked Eve and CCP.For me CCP is the top company in the MMO market.

Recently I left Eve again for personal reasons,but I do plan on returning to Eve next month or so and this time stay for good,no matter what.

I am looking forward to the new graphics,new ships,walking in stations and such.
    Thanks CCP

Well same goes for me, i totally love and praise CCP  for what they did with EvE, i have been looking around for over 15 years for a sci-fi game which would make me believe i am actually in space and really i love what they did with EvE over the years, also about all that is coming soon, with every expansion they give us, i am and still will be a EvE fan untill the day i die, or untill they shutdown EvE (which i hope never happends)

Thank you CCP for EvE and keep up the very good work you do on it.  Cheers!!!

ZeroBoogie

It's My Way Or The Highway...

• VerkainVerkain Member Posts: 24

InvaderGUI,

If you're still following this thread and interested in EvE, here is my take on the game from a similar perspective as yours.

First of all, and I hate saying this because it should be your best resource, ignore Rookie chat. It'll pop up for the first 30 days of your account and it is usually filled with unhelpful people and isk spammers. There are some helpful people there but the signal to noise ratio is so low you pretty much have to spend a lot of time reading to catch any useful advice. I spent a few hours just reading that chat when I first started to try and glean some useful information before I saw EvE University mentioned. After I joined their public channel, I never read rookie chat again. The channel is simply called EvE University (join it from the Channels and Mailing List menu) and ask your questions there. Keep in mind it's not perfect, after all it is a public channel, but they generally do a great job of moderating the chat. Just tell them you're new and what you want to know. You don't even have to join their corp (although I highly recommend it) if you don't want to. If that doesn't help, try your Corp chat. Everyone starts the game in a default NPC corp and while it isn't a guarantee to find help there, you should get better answers than the rookie channel.

Second, do the career mission string. It's a 10 mission arc based on your career choice at character creation (called Cashflow for Capsuleers, Mountains out of Molehills, and I forget what the 3rd one is called). These missions give you some basic ideas on how to do things in the game and the options available to you. These are of course completely optional but most people will suggest new players do all three. Even if you chose a Military career, the business and industry arcs are useful and give handy rewards in the form of isk, skillbooks, and ships. You may even find you like another aspect of the game than you thought. To go along with this, I also suggest doing the tutorials. Yes, they can be boring but now they also supply you with some skillbooks which will save you some money down the road.

Next, go get yourself blown up somewhere. I know that sounds like odd advice but to me it really drives home the idea that you can and will get blown up eventually. Keep in mind, I'm not saying to take your brand new ship that you just scrounged up enough isk for out this way. Take your newbie ship, or one of the freebies you got from the career arc, insure it (and update your clone if necessary), put your valuables in your station hanger and head out. You can either go to an asteroid field and hunt 'rats (NPC pirates) or head into low security (.4 and below) and check out what's out there. While you're out there, pay attention and watch what the 'rat or player is doing to you and remember it for later. People think I'm crazy for doing this kind of thing purposely but it's payed off for me the next time I had an encounter and it was fun too.

EvE's main flaw and its strength is the freedom it gives you to do whatever you want. There is so much do (and missions, as stated already, are merely a means to an end) it can be hard to decide. Even on a restricted schedule (I have a full time job and two kids so I see where you're coming from there) you can still accomplish a lot in the game even if all you do is work the Market or set up some manufacturing jobs.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Article

3. New Epic Arc content
    CCP has developed a new tool to build missions in game and they are using it. The first was introduced at the Apocrypha and 2 more are being done for the Dominion release of level 3 difficulty. These are "speed boat" missions and will involve the use of smaller, speedy and agile ships in lower and null security space as players work for the Pirate factions in game.

Building your own missions sounds very cool but having them for only L3 doesn't exactly change much because L3s are for Crusiers, Assault ships, or Heavy assualt anyway. As for missions I've always a bit miffed how they required the ship progression of frigate, cruiser, battlecruiser, battleship in order to increase isk income and doesn't give any role options other than Tanking / Dpsing. Only when you do missions with other players can you have a purpose to other roles and grouping to do missions seems really rare, even in a corp (I have only been in bad corps so far tho)

• StarDaggerStarDagger Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Archeminos

As much as I like EVE, I think the walking around in station is a waste...I mean, I can honestly see no point to it....I would much rather have ground attack missions where you enter atmosphere. Walking around on stations just seems superfluous

Just imagine everything that is done with your body in RL and then reconsider your statement.

Imagine, one example of millions, of entering a sleeper base with your ship, and then getting out to explore...

Planetary exploration, space walks, fighting the list is literally endless.  If you call it Walking in Stations you are using the wrong term and will be led to the wrong conclusions.  The term is Ambulation, enjoy.

Yours in Ambulatory Plasma,

Star*Dagger