Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The List: 5 Interesting Launches of 2009

Comments

• tyanyatyanya Member Posts: 199

Sadly the majority of interest in these titles seems to revolve around the method of access (subscritpion) by the player, in real gameplay terms they struggle to offer a single fresh idea between them. 2009 seems to be destined to be the year of absolute stagnation in gameplay terms.

Here's hoping 2010 actually inspires some designers with the courage to do something imaginitve or original with the medium.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

I have to agree that Free Realms does rank as number 2 for most interesting launch.

It is the one game that claims to have millions of registered accounts (I think over 8 million now at the rate SOE was saying, 500k every week), but yet the number of concurrent users... or *cough* active accounts, is no where near that.

I have an idea, how about having an article of, "The List: 5 of the most Interesting Spins of 2009"?

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Originally posted by finnmacool1

What a joke. Why dont you stop the charade and just declare this the darkfall #1 fansite?
    Seriously, the game is a niche game with a very small following. Most gamers outside this site have never even heard of the game and those that visit this site wouldnt have either if you didnt insist on plastering crap about it on the front page on a daily basis.

pretty much true.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DragonOrderDragonOrder Member Posts: 16

Darkfall Online is easily the best game that has come out in years!  

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Fariic

Think of it this way.

The staged release.

Billing errors.

Review controversy.

Server problems.

Missing features.

The love/ hate relationship of the gamers.

NA server opening.

Players having to buy a second account to play on the new server on day one.  (or even today for that matter.)
    Now point out another game that had all of those things happen when it released. 

There are none.

Put it into perspective.

Exactly, put it into perspective...all of those were totally predictable based on the history of the hype, BS, drama and near-vaporware nature of DFs development for years...so why was any of it "interesting"? It's like saying someone crying on Oprah was "surprising"...no it was expected.

This article brings up an issue: the low quality of mmos released so far this year and still to be released.

That - right there. Hard to have any "interest" when all we are seeing is garbage.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Wow, I didnt expect so many ppl with a lack in reading skills. Very interesting :)

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I agree mostly although I would put Aion on there. It also has had HUGE hype.  Too bad most of them have bombed or will.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I will agree with a lot said in the artical and response to it. I won't agree with the you had to be hardcore just to play df post. Yes it was hard to get the game, but thats not hardcore thats just marketing strategy to create a lack of a product to make people want it more.

Now on to CO yep I found it lacking in a lot of places in customization and powers, as well as the way those powers worked. A lot of powers I got to try out I couldn't use cause I didn't have enough INT or END to use them. A large number of classic symbols were missing from the emblem list. And I felt that a lot of things would have been better if they added more lays to the costumes. As for the game itself the powers never really made me oo and awe the way I'd liked.

• AltairsAltairs Member UncommonPosts: 47

Tottaly agree on #1 Darkfall, cudos to Jon Wood

Then again , i am biased  because i enjoy the game and the patches the devs have offered the past months. There are always issues to be resolved (damn these 3 elemental school mages) , but the true spirit of sandbox and player controlled bigger picture and politics is 110% there.

Game is wild, i promise you that.

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

#1 Darkfall - definitely, it was a show that ffa pvp and sandbox has people wanting to play, agreeing with the rest as well. Lot of interesting titles this year while not that successful but interesting nevertheless. :)

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I have to agree, DF was defintiely one of the most interesting games of 2009, whether you love or hate it.
    But calling MMORPG.com DF's number one fansite, ROFL, that's going to have some DF supporters laughing out loud today.

I sort of think DF supporters, DF haters, and people who just aren't interested in the game in general will all be laughing out loud at that. Musta been one of the dumbest statements i've ever heard. MMORPG.com never seases to amaze me, it keeps getting more and more sub-trash level individuals by the day.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by ericbelser

Think of it this way.

The staged release.

Billing errors.

Review controversy.

Server problems.

Missing features.

The love/ hate relationship of the gamers.

NA server opening.

Players having to buy a second account to play on the new server on day one.  (or even today for that matter.)
    Now point out another game that had all of those things happen when it released. 

There are none.

Put it into perspective.

Exactly, put it into perspective...all of those were totally predictable based on the history of the hype, BS, drama and near-vaporware nature of DFs development for years...so why was any of it "interesting"? It's like saying someone crying on Oprah was "surprising"...no it was expected.

This article brings up an issue: the low quality of mmos released so far this year and still to be released.

That - right there. Hard to have any "interest" when all we are seeing is garbage.

Wow.

Comprehension has failed you.

It's interesting because of all the controversy that surrounded it.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Comprehension has failed you.
    It's interesting because of all the controversy that surrounded it.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

Sorry, you are the one failing to "get it" here. Yes, the quality of the game has nothing to do with it, but *you* and the die hard forum warriors on sites like this are the only ones who found it "interesting" because of that controversy.

Given the history of the game and Tasos it was a given that the launch, good / bad / indfifferent, was going to generate the kind of pointless fanbois/hater wars that it did. It was as boring and predictable as watching a scripted Jerry Springer episode.

I get it - it was an opinion piece...I disagree with his opinions...what he found "interesting" I found to be boring, predictable or simply irrelevent.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Zodan

#1 Darkfall - definitely, it was a show that ffa pvp and sandbox has people wanting to play, agreeing with the rest as well. Lot of interesting titles this year while not that successful but interesting nevertheless. :)

This.... Altair's post and another 2 or 3 before it...

/facepalm

100% predictable response from some of the DF fans.

Folks, he's not saying Darkfall is a great game. He's not praising nor scorning decisions they made. He's saying that  of all the games listed, the controversy, hype and everything else that surrounded DF has made its development and launch the most interesting *to him*.

To be clear: He's not saying Darkfall itself is the most interesting game.  Though I know that won't stop some of you from spinning it that way anyway.

I'm just waiting for the post where someone spins it as something like, "DF voted the Most Interesting MMO! The haters/trolls were wrong! Darkfall is a success!!" I have a good idea of who would post such a thing, too... but I'll wait and see what happens.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752
    Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Zodan

I'm just waiting for the post where someone spins it as something like, "DF voted the Most Interesting MMO! The haters/trolls were wrong! Darkfall is a success!!" I have a good idea of who would post such a thing, too... but I'll wait and see what happens.

I would not be surprised if AV does not Tag this on the front page of the DF website, its just begging to be spinned that way.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Darkfall # 1

Dont think there can be more drama here, then what DF did generate.

So its a natural winner. Just look how at this thread : )

• PortizPortiz Member UncommonPosts: 62

Yeah darkfall deserves #1 spot for sure! Then also look at the patches that came out so far not one of them was disappointing! they made many players resub or bring in fresh meat! AV is going for the long ride with this game and with every patch it gets better! I dont know but does that not remind you of CCp and eve online? ;)

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

I usually like Dana's articles, but call these MMOs the most interesting in 2009? Wow... well, maybe they are for 10 first levels... Champions Online is grind.

• RichijefeRichijefe Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Stradden

What a joke. Why dont you stop the charade and just declare this the darkfall #1 fansite?
    Seriously, the game is a niche game with a very small following. Most gamers outside this site have never even heard of the game and those that visit this site wouldnt have either if you didnt insist on plastering crap about it on the front page on a daily basis.

It was still the most interesting of all of the games. I don't suppose you actually took the time to read the description and the rationale behind the choice before flying off the handle? If you didn't, then shame on you and I suggest you go re-read it and see f you still feel it's fanish. If you did, then I just don't know what to say... I wouldn't call what was said overly positive.

Actually I read the so called "rationale" behind the choice plus the arguments for it. They are very much lacking any convincing argument, the whole proposition is backed with the "great" argument of "it got the MMO people talking". Seriously, I would suggest the so called "journalists" on this site to catch up on their reading in rhetorics, I could suggest Plutarch, Plato and Aristotle.

I agree with the first post, that this site is very biased towards Darkfall, and I always believed that journalism is supposed to aim for objectivity, and not subjectivity as mostly I see here.

Regards,

R

Richijefe

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Richijefe

Originally posted by Stradden

It was still the most interesting of all of the games. I don't suppose you actually took the time to read the description and the rationale behind the choice before flying off the handle? If you didn't, then shame on you and I suggest you go re-read it and see f you still feel it's fanish. If you did, then I just don't know what to say... I wouldn't call what was said overly positive.

Actually I read the so called "rationale" behind the choice plus the arguments for it. They are very much lacking any convincing argument, the whole proposition is backed with the "great" argument of "it got the MMO people talking". Seriously, I would suggest the so called "journalists" on this site to catch up on their reading in rhetorics, I could suggest Plutarch, Plato and Aristotle.

I agree with the first post, that this site is very biased towards Darkfall, and I always believed that journalism is supposed to aim for objectivity, and not subjectivity as mostly I see here.

Regards,

R

Geeze guy.

In reading the article, the specific games he chose and the reasons he chose them, it seems pretty obvious that he's not advertising or showing preference for any one over another. The "honor" of being chosen in this article at all isn't necessarily one I'd be plastering on my front page. To be sure, if MMORPG.com was looking to promote DF, this article was not the best way to do it.

Darkfall's reasons for being in the top spot aren't exactly flattering to the game if you've followed the game's development at all; it's been considered by many as a very public demonstration of how *not* to develop, hype, launch, run and defend a MMO.

However, I think it's a fair assessment since, if nothing else, the three-ring circus that is DF and its ring-leader, Tasos, have been the source of much conversation, speculation, debate and flat out arguing on these forums.

Seems to me like y'ou're just picking nits here and looking for an argument where there is none.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• MonthigosMonthigos Staff WriterMember Posts: 61

Haven't played the other MMOs but I'm heavily invested in Free Realms these days. I thought I was done with SOE but the casual approach and the collection of mini-games has kept me interested since launch. I don't know if this is a testament to the game's playability or the fact that I'm pretty burned out on the traditional MMO formula? Who knows.

- m o n t h i g o s -

My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of MMORPG.com

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Darkfall for the win!  Someone made a game that is not an EQ clone.  That is a unique aspect within itself.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• AtomyAtomy Member UncommonPosts: 76

I suggest replacing the biased writer, if he can't take a neutral position. Then again MMORPG.com is getting pretty biased aswell. I guess you need to make your money with disgusting promoting.

But Darkfall, #1?  Because it made a "hype"? "drama?". Right..thats what games are about. Never knew concepts were considered to overtrow solid-made games...

Very poor..I feel like reading a filler.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

i agree darkfall was interesting to see launch. but its more like darkfall is interesting like a car crash is interesting. everyone likes to see one. its scary, ugly, yet you cant look away. but i dont deny the game has garnered what can be only determined as a freakshow of arguments, and counter argument, fanatic fanboism's and trolls alike. never before i seen a game have such fun, inviting antics follow its wake lol. truly enjoyed it beyond anything else, it made for a continuous good read.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

" Then, the launch came… at least for European players. The game launched first for Herman, Austrian and Swiss players on November 27th of 2008, and for the rest of Europe the next week."

Yes someday I would like to visit Hermany....