Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Playing Now?

2»

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by asdfg

While i enjoy the game you guys still whine here. If nge was a failure and didn't have enough subs do you really think they wouldn't do something about it? It's all about money ,in the end Nge makes more money (more subs) than pre nge thats why its been alive for 4 years more than pre nge pre cu combined lol ..... 
    Nge is the real SWG yours was a failure and destroyed lmao

Idiot. SWG took a severe hit from the CU. Then, just as the players were starting to think that the CU wasn't tooo bad and that just maybe SOE might be trusted in some small way... the NGE arrived. And the game's population drained like soup from a smashed bowl. I know, having seen it before and after, that a current "extremely heavy" server (of which there are very few) would have barely qualified as "medium" back in the day (about half of all servers in 2004).

It took a long while for the SOE/LA cabal to comprehend what a catastrophe they had wrought. When they finally accepted that their confidently-anticipated surge of replacement players was never coming, and that the CU-NGE one-two punch ensured that their former players would never ever trust them again ("Fool me once, shame on you" etc.), they also understood that SWG is a "dead game walking". SOE/LA didn't roll back the NGE up front because they were still hoping to pull off their coup; by the time they understood, that window of opportunity was long closed. With their customers so badly burned already, they don't think they could earn back the money it would cost to try to revert the game at this late date. So they just maintain it at minimum cost and milk it for whatever they can get, for as long as possible.

• KramericaKramerica Member Posts: 47

I was kind of in same situation you are. I was looking to burn some time between games and gave SWG a try again. Its not a outright horrible game, however its far from being a decent mmo by any definition. I re-subbed for just under 30 days and canceled due to it being a substandard game in my viewpoint.

If you are looking for a mmo with challenging PvE, skilled PvP, decent content, etc then I wouldn't recommend SWG. The skill level required to excel at the game takes about as much effort as eating a bag of cheetos.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Kramerica

The skill level required to excel at the game takes about as much effort as eating a bag of cheetos.

Not sure what made you think that, are you talking in terms of PvP?  Even then it takes considerable time, effort and skill to be good in SWG PvP.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

In answer to the thread title: "Worth playing now?"

Here's the most recent press coverage

http://kotaku.com/5358452/six-years-too-late-star-wars-galaxies-gets-interesting

Funny write up, even funnier comments, enjoy

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

Worth playing now?

Nah, come play Fallen Earth instead.  It's like Pre-CU, only better (i.e. no Jedi).

• jakfoxjakfox Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

SWG is certainly a vastly improved game now, compared to what it was four years ago.

Very true!

it's different, not improved, precu was twice the game NGE was, but to each his own.

• DeaOfMuDeaOfMu Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

I am just looking for an MMO to play to fill a few bored hours before something else takes my attention, just wondering if SWG is still worth a look in? I had a trial years ago and found it very hard but I heard they have changed so much since then that it is a different game. Just wondering what the players opinions are?

To make it clear, I am aware of TOR and I am not personally very interested, it looks more like a single player game with a multiplayer than an mmorpg that I desire. Also I have no interest in SOE bashing, I personally have no problem with them. Please don't add those two things into this thread.

So if anyone wants to tell me if it's worth playing it would be much appreciated, if you could tell me which server etc to play I would also be thankful.

It's a great game, and I haven't found another one that comes close it.   It's definitely worth playing.   I've been there over 4 years now, off and on due to RL, and the last year solidly playing.  There are so many aspects to the game that you can take it anywhere you want.   The nay-sayers that are saying the servers are dead, blah, blah, blah, obviously aren't playing anymore.   I am constantly meeting new people that just joined and love it.   And the player events are well attended.

So give it a try.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by DeaOfMu

I am just looking for an MMO to play to fill a few bored hours before something else takes my attention, just wondering if SWG is still worth a look in? I had a trial years ago and found it very hard but I heard they have changed so much since then that it is a different game. Just wondering what the players opinions are?

To make it clear, I am aware of TOR and I am not personally very interested, it looks more like a single player game with a multiplayer than an mmorpg that I desire. Also I have no interest in SOE bashing, I personally have no problem with them. Please don't add those two things into this thread.

So if anyone wants to tell me if it's worth playing it would be much appreciated, if you could tell me which server etc to play I would also be thankful.

It's a great game, and I haven't found another one that comes close it.   It's definitely worth playing.   I've been there over 4 years now, off and on due to RL, and the last year solidly playing.  There are so many aspects to the game that you can take it anywhere you want.   The nay-sayers that are saying the servers are dead, blah, blah, blah, obviously aren't playing anymore.   I am constantly meeting new people that just joined and love it.   And the player events are well attended.

So give it a try.

Emphasis on the word try. There is a free trial, i definitely recommend installing it and making up your own mind. The game speaks for itself.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by DeaOfMu

So give it a try.

So many new players have recently "joined and love it" that SOE is closing half the servers? Have you not been keeping up with current events?

Currently, in the current game, people on several of "destination servers" as part of the free transfer system, i.e the place where transferred toons went to, are all but demanding a second round of free transfers, because those servers are dead. Go look at the O-boards, there is a 50 page thread on "FCTS for Gorath", a destination server, and others for Radiant and several other servers.

There is viable population on 3 servers, with a couple more being borderline. The rest are dead, at all but one or two peak times.

While calling this game completely dead is not accurate, giving people the impression that things are going well are equally inaccurate and potentially more harmful, because this impression could actually cost people money for them to find out it was wrong. Take the trial, if you must, but save your money.

No need to blatantly lie to people.

• bobajangobobajango Member Posts: 43

The skill level required to excel at the game takes about as much effort as eating a bag of cheetos.

Not sure what made you think that, are you talking in terms of PvP?  Even then it takes considerable time, effort and skill to be good in SWG PvP.

Time,effort,skill...wake up kid,you've never pvp'd then.

Mando/DS jedi with 5 rows of buffs....thats all you need.Any thing else is fail.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Burntvet 
    While calling this game completely dead is not accurate, giving people the impression that things are going well are equally inaccurate and potentially more harmful, because this impression could actually cost people money for them to find out it was wrong. Take the trial, if you must, but save your money.

That is masterfully stated!

That's also my biggest problem with "misleading" people about the state of the game.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Burntvet 

That is masterfully stated!

That's also my biggest problem with "misleading" people about the state of the game.

Agreed, use the trial. Don't pay. Let the game speak for itself (and it will).

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/players/content.vm?id=62963

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Not sure what made you think that, are you talking in terms of PvP?  Even then it takes considerable buffs, time to find players and patience to play in slideshow mode to be good in SWG PvP.

fixed.