Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Vanguard on steroids :(

13»

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by NeverLand7

Originally posted by MustaphaMond

@OP... time and time again, you fail to give a specific thing that you see in the gameplay vids that bothers you.  A gut reaction is all good at first, but there must be something SPECIFIC that doesn't gel for you.

Okay, if you feel that way so strongly I'll let you know.

1. The game worlds graphics did not appeal to me

2. The game worlds art style/graphics style was not appealing to me

3. The environments looked uninspired in regards to my tastes

4. The gameplay displayed in the videos looked uninteresting.

5. One of the first things that popped into my head after watching the video, was It felt like Vanguard on steroids.

But in all honesty, don't take it so personally, I'm sure it will still be a great quality game and offer unique and interesting ideas to the mmorpg genre.

Just, I don't think It's going to be for me, sadly. And I can live with that, but you seem to be very shaken up by the aforesaid.

So I ask you a question? Why are you here then?

There is no need for you to sit here and defend your opinion. Since FFXIV world isnt for you, since you can judge you wont like the whole games game play on a little clip where it seemed the people were low level and didnt really have a clue how to play the game. Then you should just move along. IDK what your looking for. For someone to change your mind? to Troll? IDK, IDC heres some links for you.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/253/Aion.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/Guild-Wars-2.html

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

@OP... time and time again, you fail to give a specific thing that you see in the gameplay vids that bothers you.  A gut reaction is all good at first, but there must be something SPECIFIC that doesn't gel for you.

Okay, if you feel that way so strongly I'll let you know.

1. The game worlds graphics did not appeal to me

2. The game worlds art style/graphics style was not appealing to me

3. The environments looked uninspired in regards to my tastes

4. The gameplay displayed in the videos looked uninteresting.

5. One of the first things that popped into my head after watching the video, was It felt like Vanguard on steroids.

But in all honesty, don't take it so personally, I'm sure it will still be a great quality game and offer unique and interesting ideas to the mmorpg genre.

Just, I don't think It's going to be for me, sadly. And I can live with that, but you seem to be very shaken up by the aforesaid.

I'm not shaken up, just frustrated because I wonder *why* it is not appealing to you.  I get the point, which you originally stated, that the game is not appealing.  Going a step further to say the graphics aren't appealing, the environments, etc., etc, aren't appealing doesn't specify anything.  You still haven't explained why they are not appealing.

Here's an example, and it's real.  Myself, I do not like WoW's graphic.  I find them unappealing.  The reason they are unappealing is that, to me, they appear cartoony and are "blocky" somehow. I also don't care for the shades and colors used in the game.  They seem too "loud" to me and my eyes hurt when I play it.  All in all, the graphics appear very clunky and unrefined and I don't care for them.

Now, if you wanted to ask me what I think "cartoony" mean or "blocky" or "loud," that's another thing.  But, at least I gave you reasons, and they are more specific than "just because...."  All that you are doing is saying the game is unappealing because the graphics are unappealing... the game is like vanguard on steroids because the first thing I thought when playing was "this is like vanguard on steroids".... etc.

If you don't want to answer, whatever.  I was genuinely curious because I haven't played Vanguard and I just wanted to know what to look for if I found other gameplay videos.

And, that's another point you never addressed.  What gameplay videos are referencing?  Can you hear German in the background?  I would bet they are the gamecon vids.

As I said before, those players probably don't know what in the hell they are doing.  But, a lot of your complaints seem centered around graphics and environments (though you originally mentioned lack of PvP, if I'm not mistaken), so in that case, at least I know that something about the graphics is off to you and reminds you of Vanguard.  I guess that will do.

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694

As I said before, those players probably don't know what in the hell they are doing.  But, a lot of your complaints seem centered around graphics and environments (though you originally mentioned lack of PvP, if I'm not mistaken), so in that case, at least I know that something about the graphics is off to you and reminds you of Vanguard.  I guess that will do.

You are mistaken, because I never said a word about PvP. The games core style reminded me of Vanguard on steroids in regards to what was shown in the gameplay videos.

As for the exact specifics of why I do not like the graphics/environments etc, I found the worlds design to be too cold, dark and bland looking, and the graphics style too classical and routine.

The gameplay and It's flow did not spark interest in me.

I was highly anticipating XIV, and on paper everything sounded great, but after seeing the gameplay videos, I was quite shocked, thus I expressed it through this thread.

Where were you when I was praising the game and speaking lovely and highly of it in my other threads? But all of a sudden I say it does not appeal to me and it reminds me of Vanguard on steroids and your on me like a rot wiler on a peice of fresh meat.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

just from the sketchy mini clips on the net, I can already tell, even in alpha stage, that this game is going to be just fine and most likely a lil bit more for me. =)

thanks for the name drop OP. , and for once, I'd wish people would give a chance run for a game based upon its' content, and not for its' "cover".  ^^

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

You are mistaken, because I never said a word about PvP. The games core style reminded me of Vanguard on steroids in regards to what was shown in the gameplay videos.

As for the exact specifics of why I do not like the graphics/environments etc, I found the worlds design to be too cold, dark and bland looking, and the graphics style too classical and routine.

I was highly anticipating XIV, and on paper everything sounded great, but after seeing the gameplay videos, I was quite shocked, thus I expressed it through this thread.

Where were you when I was praising the game and speaking lovely and highly of it in my other threads? But all of a sudden I say it does not appeal to me and it reminds me of Vanguard on steroids and your on me like a rot wiler on a peice of fresh meat.

Ah, I see where I made the mistake (I saw somebody else quoted complaining about lack of PvP in Vanguard and confused you two, my apologies). And, while I don't agree, at least I know what you mean now about not liking the graphics/gameplay videos.

The "cold" feeling you describe is important. I didn't really notice the same, but as more gameplay videos come out, I will keep an eye out for anything that gives that impression.

And, I know that I come on strong, but I actually remember posting on one of your posts about moogles as a playable race, so I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm an intense person, but it's mostly because I want to compare what people's reasons for liking/disliking a game are to my own (just to see if it shows me something more about the game that I hadn't noticed).

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I'm still having a hard time understanding the whole Vanguard comparison.

I mean come on....

How does this:

in any way resemble this:

I guess because they both have a chat box?

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Originally posted by linren

Originally posted by Murugan

.  Still a stretch for a comparison but I can see how this person, as part of this "new generation" (different values in terms of what makes an MMO worthwhile) of MMO players would make it in a negative sense.  I doubt he was talking about the bugs or lack of developer commitment that vanguard suffers from as this is Square Enix we are talking about.

Actually I am not part of the new generation. I grew up on  Ultima Online and Everquest, and moved on to games such as DAOC and FFXI.

Yes I was not talking about It in a negative sense really, just that the game is not for me.

Some may say It is too early to judge a game by It's gameplay video, but I've been gaming since I was 5 years old and It's like my soul aura either agrees with the gameplay video and would like to play the game or it does not, as weird as that sounds.

Again, past gaming experience does NOT make you able to predict the future gaming experience.   Said it once, and I'll say it as many times as it take.

You must be mis-interpreting me. I'm not saying I'm predicting the future game experience for you guys, but for myself. If I see a gameplay video and my intuition does not agree with it, then like 99% of the time the game is not for me.

If you don't try a game based on your gut feeling then, I got nothing to say.  However, if you will at least try to the game out then that is fine.  You are free to dismiss anything you like from a video though, it is your life and not mine.

No, I did not say you are predicting it for us, I meant it for yourself.  I did not misinterpret, but I guess I should have worded it a little more specific.  Basically if gut feeling is how you dismiss a game, then you will likely miss alot of interesting games for your own sake.  (not mine nor anyone else's, just making it clear this time) 

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Dameonk

I mean come on....
    How does this:

This comparision is more telling than anything anyone has said.

Similiar? Vanguard wishes it was.

• BadChaseBadChase Member UncommonPosts: 11

I happen to be new to this conversation, but I'm just wondering what you mean when you say that the world design i dark? Cold and bland I can half agree with, but maybe it has to do with it being alpha or it's the lightning that makes it look so.

Oh and the gameplay, what I saw was that it was a bad gamer playing it when I watched. I have tried Vanguard and from what I have read and a little seen it's nothing like vanguard on steroids. But except for me liking the graphics in general I do agree, it looks a little cold and bland in the environment, as Vanguard did in some environments.

• ZorakGhostalZorakGhostal Member Posts: 122

I think some of you seriously need to look out a window once in a while.

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by ZorakGhostal

I think some of you seriously need to look out a window once in a while.

Keep it on topic Zorak. :P

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

• ikkenoikkeno Member UncommonPosts: 67

vanguard could easily have been epic. if it had'nt been so broken from launch.. and it still is tbh.

- Nothing lasts.. but nothing is lost. -

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

I mean come on....
    How does this:

The grass is green?

• AlbosAlbos Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by swalker23

I mean come on....
    How does this:

The grass is green?

No, the OP is on steroids thats why he comes up with shit like this

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I mean come on....
    How does this:

The grass is green?

lmao

Yup the grass is green!!

Like dameonk pointed out, it has a chat box.

There is also life bars!!!!!!!

You know what this means?

This means it is a vanguard clone but on roids. OP is right  in his infinite wisdom no one should play this game, how could none of us seen this before now. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Albos

After seeing the gameplay videos, I can say, honestly, as a human being, honestly expressing myself, not lying to oneself, I will not play this game.

I'm not going to judge the game, but It's not for me.

Atleast I can still respect Square-Enix for releasing new titles such as Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden

Please recomend me the drugs you're using... you got to be very very high to start a thread like this, and you have to be blind too. Also thank god you'll not play we don't need any losers in our perfect fanatasy world.

That made me LMAO

Originally posted by toddze

I mean come on....
    How does this:

The grass is green?

lmao

Yup the grass is green!!

Like dameonk pointed out, it has a chat box.

There is also life bars!!!!!!!

You know what this means?

This means it is a vanguard clone but on roids. OP is right  in his infinite wisdom no one should play this game, how could none of us seen this before now. 

Yeah, this game looks absolutly nothing like Vguard...thats like saying "FF1 and zelda1 are the same just because they have an over head view when on map" nothing else is shared aside from the genre and the view much like Vguard and FFXIV"

• GorakkhGorakkh Member Posts: 694

I apologize for the thread. It is unlike me to make a negative or hateful post but I was having a bad day when I made the thread and I also wasn't really feeling the gameplay videos that were released of XIV thus far and so this thread manifested.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended, I'm sure XIV will be a great game but I'm not sure If It's for me.

I hope you guys can understand.

I apologize for the thread. It is unlike me to make a negative or hateful post but I was having a bad day when I made the thread and I also wasn't really feeling the gameplay videos that were released of XIV thus far and so this thread manifested.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended, I'm sure XIV will be a great game but I'm not sure If It's for me.

I hope you guys can understand.

Its very ok, the comment just didnt make sense to anyone lol.