Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Half-naked Impractical Armor (Female)

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by AnimusChaser

Personally I cant say I'm a big fan of the scantly clad Armour. When I see Armour in a MMO I like to think it actually gives some sort of protection. The Armour you see in some mmo's now days would make you think they are actually just huge magnets and attract the swords and arrows away from all the revealed fleshy parts.
    On another note:
    Please keep suggestive photo's out of this topic.
    Cheers
    Animuschaser

Yes because forms of entertainment should try to be as unentertaining as possible.

When you watch the movie Transporter do you stop and say "Wait that's not possible" if so then you don't know how to unwind. Entertainment is to be entertaining, not to be realistic. If I want realism I have the real world for that. Movies constantly have stunts, attacks etc that are not realistically possible or would in fact kill the person the second they tried it. But people flock by the millions to watch them because they're exciting and fun.

Same goes for MMOs. People play them to be entertained, to see a world that doesn't/can't exist and have fun inside of it. For that reason people want large weapons that wouldn't make sense to use and armor that is more sexy then functional. We don't want a completly realistic world because we have the real world and the history channel for that.

That is as simple as it is, I wonder how come every bond girl has been hot and occasionally kill guys with their thighs? Just coincidence I guess.

And let me know when they make a "realistic" MMO. One where you have to move at realisitc speeds, do realisitc damage, get tired, have to eat, have to sleep. You have to ride a horse or walk everywhere, no shortcuts. You age, you die. You get shot by one arrow and drop.Then I will show you a game that doesn't do well.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Teala

If you play Mount and Blade you'll have no choice but to wear bulky, unflattering armor as a female character in game.   The armor is sorta more for guys so the females boobies are squished and your characters female form is heavily masked by the basic shape of the armor meant to be worn by a man.   Very realistic looking.    Your character still looks female for the most part, but you can tell it is a girl wearing armor meant for men.    You'll wear the armor by the way if you expect to survive in game.   Without it you'll be sliced, smashed, skewerd, pierced, chopped up and ran over.    Armor in M&B works like it is suppsoe to.   It protects the wearer from head to toe.   ^_^
    See here.

Awesome game by the way, discovered it on holydays, love it ;)

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

The games in question are fantasy games. Frazetta style artwork has been the cover art on fantasy  books since the 1930's and probably before that. Half naked females are a tradition in fantasy its nothing new. What is new is the politically correct nonsense that tells us that this is degrading to women. Im sure there are some insecure women that find this disgusting and some men will agree with them with some phoney since of indignation.  I remember a fat woman i worked with once telling us all how plastic surgery was why  Paris Hilton looked the way she does. So it goes.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Amalaric

If the games were to be realistic as much as it can in a fantasy setting with medieval influences women wouldn't even be wearing armor as they would be demoted to cooking and cleaning.

and they'd all be fat and hairy too...

• EarthgirlEarthgirl Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

The games in question are fantasy games. Frazetta style artwork has been the cover art on fantasy  books since the 1930's and probably before that. Half naked females are a tradition in fantasy its nothing new. What is new is the politically correct nonsense that tells us that this is degrading to women. Im sure there are some insecure women that find this disgusting and some men will agree with them with some phoney since of indignation.  I remember a fat woman i worked with once telling us all how plastic surgery was why  Paris Hilton looked the way she does. So it goes.

Its not that women have a problem seeing half or full naked females, although Im sure some do and I cant speak for them.  Its more about not liking seeing the character they play parading her bare butt around, big difference.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Earthgirl

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Its not that women have a problem seeing half or full naked females, although Im sure some do and I cant speak for them.  Its more about not liking seeing the character they play parading her bare butt around, big difference.

Modesty i suppose is another factor. :)

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I can see both sides of the arguments here, but I think both sides are valid, up to a point.

For me the "sexiness" should be class-related, but even with that said, good design of armour could create armor plated females that were both sexy & adequately protected for martial combat, I really think it's stupid to have females who are supposedly armor clad warriors with their bellies boobs & backsides exposed.

If you have a "more agile than men" kind of idea then this should be reflected by class choice, there's no reason in a fantasy game to not have big-muscular females as warriors at all, the "half-naked" females in my opinion would be the sorceresses, witches etc cloth wearing magic users where armor interferes with their magic casting so they deliberately wear skimpy clothes, but evn here these classes should have the choice of full robes or skimpy attire, & not just females, males should also be able to wear skimpy clothes if they wish.

So for me, what attire a male or female wears should have a class basis primarily & body types should have class restrictions too, no skinny as a stick female or male warriors in heavy plate, their base physique would be larger & more powerfully built, similarly no muscled behemoths magic users, some logic should be at play here.

The problem I think lies in the "idealisation" of the genders, men as conan types & women as barbie doll/pamela anderson types, this needs to get broken & provide some visual variety.

Why not have fat men, or fat women in games, there should be some penalties & benefits for this as well as for too skinny types.

Big builds harder to push back/knock over, smaller builds more able to dodge etc etc.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

I would personally prefer that if I'm going to play a game where the view is 3rd person staring at the rear end of a character... I would prefer it to be female, even though the avatar is a pixel representation of a fake person.

In most of these games of fantasy or science fiction that I play, these toon women wear skimpy armor sometimes yes... but usually while they are carrying a few sets of other armor, swords, staves, weapons, medical kits, healing herbs all the while battling monsters, demons, animals, and sometimes dragons, where even if such a creature existed I would imagine the bite from one even 50m tall would be similar to someones body being put onto a hydraulic press, negating the viableness of any armor worn.

I wouldn't know... never fought a dragon before in real life... and if one existed I have this slight fear of a thing called permadeath, unlike my avatars that seem to never complain when they die, or when I jump them into lava. I never cast a fireball in real life. I never ran around in 15-25kg full plate with a shield, 200 pounds/stones of  extra equipment across different lands, just because a guy with an exclamation mark over his head told me he needed bat wings to make a potion.

Playing a "game" usually involves removing realistic aspects, to suppliment the ones that the playerbase wants to experience. An undying, meteor-throwing, dual-gun wielding, sword somehow stuck on back, eternal endurance, never-aging sexy and scantily clad female sometimes fits the bill of the character I want to play.

If you want reality or practicalness for female avatars, don't play a game. Most women I know that have ideal figures, flaunt it. I suppose if a lightning-bolt throwing, two handed sword wielding, griffin-riding woman wants to wear high polished silver armor lined with priceless gems and metals, just barely covering her breasts, shoulders and rear... I'm not really going to argue with her.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277
    Originally posted by Lansid

I would personally prefer that if I'm going to play a game where the view is 3rd person staring at the rear end of a character... I would prefer it to be female, even though the avatar is a pixel representation of a fake person.

I've heard this argument a thousand times before and even now it's still bullshit.  I mean how many RPGs, let alone any game, are you staring at the ass of your character?  And when it comes to an RPG you are only ruining your imersion into the game as the character is supposed to be a representation of yourself in the game.

I guess if you want to RP a female, by all means go ahead, but if you aren't RPing, the game just serves as another avenue for nerd faps.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by UknownAspect

I've heard this argument a thousand times before and even now it's still bullshit.  I mean how many RPGs, let alone any game, are you staring at the ass of your character?  And when it comes to an RPG you are only ruining your imersion into the game as the character is supposed to be a representation of yourself in the game.

I guess if you want to RP a female, by all means go ahead, but if you aren't RPing, the game just serves as another avenue for nerd faps.

When i play RPGs I like to play someone im not, I don't know about you but Im myself all day why would i want to be my self in a fantasy land.

• ayanelayanel Member Posts: 150

Different people find different things immersive. I never think of a character I play in any game (computer, tabletop, etc) as a representative of me. I would find that terribly uninteresting.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by mbd1968

Originally posted by Amalaric

If the games were to be realistic as much as it can in a fantasy setting with medieval influences women wouldn't even be wearing armor as they would be demoted to cooking and cleaning.

and they'd all be fat and hairy too...

Hairy, yes.

Fat, no. The only people in the medieval ages that could afford to be "fat" were the rich and nobles (usually the same).

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

If you play Mount and Blade you'll have no choice but to wear bulky, unflattering armor as a female character in game.   The armor is sorta more for guys so the females boobies are squished and your characters female form is heavily masked by the basic shape of the armor meant to be worn by a man.   Very realistic looking.    Your character still looks female for the most part, but you can tell it is a girl wearing armor meant for men.    You'll wear the armor by the way if you expect to survive in game.   Without it you'll be sliced, smashed, skewerd, pierced, chopped up and ran over.    Armor in M&B works like it is suppsoe to.   It protects the wearer from head to toe.   ^_^
    See here.

You still playing M&B Teala? Good on ya!

Oh yeah.   Love this game.   I play it probably 2 to 4hrs a week.   It is just that frakking awesome!   I am always tweaking it and trying to make it better(mods you know).   I am learning to program in Python so I can figure out how to add some fitures and t oadd more depth as well.    My main goal is to make a huge seamless world to play in and be able to travel the land from end to end without seeing that little icon horsey dude running across the map.   Sorta like Oblivian.    Add more skills.   Add more weather effects.   Add some more NPC's and triggers that allow you to like go dungeon crawling old school in search of treasures.   ^_^    If at all possible I will also add a magic system.      It'll be very subtle and not to over powerful.    

Basically make the kind of game I would like to play.    :)

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

WoW, EQ2, DAoC you have listed on your sig that I have also played... last I checked you can play those in third person and is prefered so you have a better view of the field.

"I mean how many RPGs, let alone any game, are you staring at the ass of your character?"

Ooooh lemme see... Everquest, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, Final Fantasy XI, City of Heroes/Villians, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach... just to name a few that I've played that are mainstream.

"And when it comes to an RPG you are only ruining your imersion into the game as the character is supposed to be a representation of yourself in the game."

I suppose you've been burned and laughed at by someone who was R O L E P L A Y I N G a female that was in actuality a male. See... MMORPG stands for this... Massively Multiplayer Role Playing Game. Have a seat...

You see... Role Playing is a form of acting. Even in the earliest days of theatre, grown men would assume the role of WOMEN. It's not about "who" the people actually were, it was about the ROLE that they played, how they portrayed it.

Now let's move forward a bit to Role Playing Games.... RPG's. Even in Wikipedia, it states that "A role-playing game (RPG; often roleplaying game) is a game in which the participants assume the roles of fictional characters." Now look at that last part... fictional. Not real. Just like the game. Not real. Feel free to read the rest, or research it yourself. But for future reference... like most mature people realize with MMO's... it doesn't matter if it's a male or female avatar, on the other side is a PERSON. Treat people equally and respectfully.  The ONLY thing I'm ruining if I choose to roleplay a female, pal, is YOUR ego when you're trying to flirt with my pixilated avatar because you assume that I am a woman.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• boobookachooboobookachoo Member Posts: 70

These games are fantasy not realistic. If you complain about a women being not fully clothed because it goes against realism, do you also argue that smaller characters such as Gnomes in WoW should not be able to wield larger weapons that realistically they would not be able to use? I for myself found it quite entertaining to see a gnome warrior dueling outside IronForge wrecking other classes with weapons twice their size such as Ashkondi or Arcanite Reaver. Such things as half naked women and midgets with giant weapons is entertaining, and that what i want from any fantasy game, to be entertained!

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Skuz
    For me the "sexiness" should be class-related, but even with that said, good design of armour could create armor plated females that were both sexy & adequately protected for martial combat, I really think it's stupid to have females who are supposedly armor clad warriors with their bellies boobs & backsides exposed.

Agree and i'd also say race-class related for variety. For example:

Standard medieval human warrior types could be fully encased in metal (male & female) while the barbarian style human could follow the Frazetta style art. Rogue classes could have sexy leather armor. Mages could choose a bulky robe or a sexy outfit depending on taste.

Elf race warriors might be more medium armor plus dodging so that could mean elegant (high elf) or provocative (dark elf) armor but still very protective. Wood elves could be practically nudist if you wrote the game lore to say they didn't care about such things - especially shape-shifting druids.

Witch elf type classes could even include the sexuality in their class skills/spells as the original meaning of "glamour" was the magical spells elves cast on humans to bewitch them.

Dwarves you could make it impossible to tell male from female unless they took their helmets off.

That way there's a mixture of more covered-upness, more sexiness and more choice plus it adds to the world feeling through being a visual representation of the game lore.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by maskedweasel

See here.

You still playing M&B Teala? Good on ya!

Oh yeah.   Love this game.   I play it probably 2 to 4hrs a week.   It is just that frakking awesome!   I am always tweaking it and trying to make it better(mods you know).   I am learning to program in Python so I can figure out how to add some fitures and t oadd more depth as well.    My main goal is to make a huge seamless world to play in and be able to travel the land from end to end without seeing that little icon horsey dude running across the map.   Sorta like Oblivian.    Add more skills.   Add more weather effects.   Add some more NPC's and triggers that allow you to like go dungeon crawling old school in search of treasures.   ^_^    If at all possible I will also add a magic system.      It'll be very subtle and not to over powerful.    

Basically make the kind of game I would like to play.    :)

I'd like to see that! Have you tried some of the other mods?  Some basic ways I've seen magic "created" was just adding additional ranged items or changing skins on rocks and things like that to throw "spells" instead.   Somewhat close to the way the old star wars mod was with the blasters, if you ever had a chance to play that one.

Anyways, if you ever get something on the ol' mbrepository let me know, I'd love to try it!

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

On a serious note I don't see where women are getting any protection wearing something like this..

sexy yeah, I mean Id fap to it, but I see numerous openings where one could easily get a hit in, thus rendering the armor useless in theory.

However I think FFXI did female armor right, looks cute, but also pretty fucking protective, and badass I might add.

Now that is some fucking armor, not the crap the above Dark elf slut is wearing.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Seriously though, what are 'pasties'?  In the UK that term refers to a sort of meat and vegetable pie! 

Go to google images and search for "stripper pasties".

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

They shouldn't be wearing armor at all they belong in the kitchen.

can at least give them some baking mittens, maybe a hat or apron for cooking armor! lulz

• PharaDarPharaDar Member Posts: 44

You dont have to wear high heels and a short skirt in reality...but people do every day even to work..100 years ago this would have been scandelous and in many parts of the world today an offence for which you can be beaten..

but the "choice" is there  for many of us..you can dress in a potatoe sack if you want..or dress sexy  up to you

the same maybe should be the case in the games we play to

but as many have said its a fantasy game and really I personally love to look good in them its escapism im quite aware women would barely have the strength and stamina needed to fight in plate armour and wield a sword in the middle ages..but who cares!

• eikonaeikona Member UncommonPosts: 15

I love the skimpy, sexy armors.   I wish there was more of it! Fantasy games are.. fantasy, I don't care a whit about 'realism.'  I'll admit that a half naked woman in a sexy bikini armor or sorcerer robe will make me look at a game before I'll look at one with a female all encased in metal.

And yes, I'm a thirty something woman, for those who are doubtless going to stand up in righteous indignation and declare me to be an adolescent boy. I don't care about realism, I just want to beat things up while looking good. And metal tin cans do not look good.

• boobookachooboobookachoo Member Posts: 70

Sexiness sells people!

• sofbertsofbert Member UncommonPosts: 52

Yeah I can hardly believe this is a discussion and that anything 'sexist' is implied. The amount of clothes a woman can wear over time is like inversely proportional to how independant she feels. Just for kicks I watched the original Ocean's 11 with Sinatra and all the old farts. They were doing nothing but smoking, drinking, and grabbing womens' asses as they walked by, while those women were fully clothed and completely unrevealing by today's standards. While today we've got girls dressing like Megan Fox in 3-inch skirts and a bra, because yes.. they can.

It swings both ways too.. both men and women watch tv shows and movies because they're in it for the cute... whatever. Whether it's Megan Fox, George Clooney, Patrick Dempsey, Brad PItt, Angelina Jolie, these people are all sexy and that sexiness draws us in. Call it shallow but i'm much happier playing a game that LOOKS sexy than some boring-looking game with an 'incredible' engine. You do have to use your eyes, after all.. it's all a part of society so welcome to the 21st century free world :)

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

The OP asked a simple question, are there any western MMOs with skimpy armor. He didn't ask your option on skimpy armor he just wants to know where it is.

The only MMOs I can think of with really skimpy armor are Asian. It would be nice to see more in western MMOs.