Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Turbine Sues Atari Over DDO

1235»

Comments

• Babylon9000Babylon9000 Member Posts: 88

I know.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Somnulus

Although I doubt it will happen, I pray that Atari eye-gouges Turbine and gets control of D&D online properties back from them.
    That way, maybe I can still see a competent, dynamic, and diverse online D&D MMO before I die.
    As long as Turbine has control, it languishes in severe mediocrity.

dont be surprised ,in usa there ton of closet based firm that dont build anything you know  what they do they buy right of various idea ,from cloud genarator ,inflatable condom.why?

because if for any reason a genius find a way to make it work even if todayits not even doable then they can sue that company for million.

i think turbine problem was right true,6 month after release they should have sued ,no they waited why

free publicity advertising for either d&d f2p(lol probably not)or on their next new game (hell ya now thats more like it)

its what will happen they just want someone to pay for their next big wich will need publicity

i do hope atari dragt this so much turbine will never be able to sue anyone for 10 000 years to come gees.

i believe its turbines fault not atari!why?

why didnt turbine sue 6 month after release or a year maybe !its too late now judge should just trow them out of court lol.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by Somnulus

Although I doubt it will happen, I pray that Atari eye-gouges Turbine and gets control of D&D online properties back from them.
    That way, maybe I can still see a competent, dynamic, and diverse online D&D MMO before I die.
    As long as Turbine has control, it languishes in severe mediocrity.

dont be surprised ,in usa there ton of closet based firm that dont build anything you know  what they do they buy right of various idea ,from cloud genarator ,inflatable condom.why?

because if for any reason a genius find a way to make it work even if todayits not even doable then they can sue that company for million.

i think turbine problem was right true,6 month after release they should have sued ,no they waited why

free publicity advertising for either d&d f2p(lol probably not)or on their next new game (hell ya now thats more like it)

its what will happen they just want someone to pay for their next big wich will need publicity

i do hope atari dragt this so much turbine will never be able to sue anyone for 10 000 years to come gees.

i believe its turbines fault not atari!why?

why didnt turbine sue 6 month after release or a year maybe !its too late now judge should just trow them out of court lol.

Maybe if you read the Filing you will understand whats going on, why post if you dont know what the law suit is about?

Atari is going to need alot of Lifetime subs from Champions for this...

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

Whatever else happens Turbine and Atari are going to be screwing around with Lawyers and will be in Court.

This can't but hurt D&DO relaunch as a FTP and will probably slow down COs  1st content upgrade (whatever it is) and Star Treks Beta+Launch later this year.

The only real winner from all this will probably be NC Soft, whose City of Heroes is still around and was being threatened by CO and whose Aion launch will sail above all these lawyers on big fluffy angel wings. NC Soft couldn't have wished for anything better.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Honestly the combat and character system of ddo is wonderful. DC REal los etc THAT many years ago, but the issue is the game itself is rather poor. Character classes and combat engine are very soild.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• dlunasdlunas Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Yeah, it was a shady thing to do on Atari's part. But what is the underlying message here? I think it's that Atari realizes that DDO in it's iteration isn't a very viable MMO. If the heavily instanced game as it was made (granted I haven't played it since a few months after it's release) was in such a state they had to open up a F2P portion to their business model, well they're hurting for subscriptions in my opinion.
    I bet Atari wants to see the DnD license in a more traditional MMO setup, with a large world and multiple cities and such. To be honest, I do too. Granted, it'd have to be 3.5 ruleset or below.

Hell, I was liking the idea of being able to play DDO for free, and only having to subscribe if I wanted certain content.  My entire group had been considering going back to the game anyways even before Unlimited was announced.  Damned good fun, there.

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/08/26/Atari.pdf

Seems, from day one. Turbine has had to do just about everything to bring DnD online to life. With Arti constiantly stabbing them in the back.
    If anything, this reinforces that Turbine is an increadable devloper, Arti failed time and time again on every single thing they were contracted to do, and Turbine picked up the ball time and time again and carried on and would just eat the loss in time, money, and manpower.

mm the right or wtv they call it was is will be to atari whatever turbine would like to wish for.i dont believe atari did anything wrong in the past .the problem its been what 2 years 3 since the launch of this game and now turbine would like to have a superbol publicity on the back of atari .i agre with atari ,turbine is lucky to still have the right for the game if i was atari i would pull the plug from turbine for ddo ,atari asnt done one ddo game they made a lot of ddo game in the past .if turbine push atari to the corner 

they wont like the reaction from atari not one bit and turbine as more to loose then atari in this 

You have no idea what you are talking about. In fact. That is not even humanly comprehensible.

So, then, I'm not the only one having trouble making sense of his ramblings?  I mean, I get the gist of it, but I kinda have to mentally squint to pick up anything else.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

Seeing these big companies playing their legal hands makes me feel like a tiny puppet on some thick strings :(

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Thrawl
     Seeing these big companies playing their legal hands makes me feel like a tiny puppet on some thick strings :(

"I feel like a little worm on a big fucking hook."

• jtraherjtraher Member Posts: 1

I personally hope Atari wins. I hate what Turbine has done with DDO. I think Turbine has handled the game very poorly, and they really do not care about DDO players (I've been playing since Beta). 

Maybe now we can see a Forgotten Realms MMO. 

• SarrSarr Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by jtraher

I personally hope Atari wins. I hate what Turbine has done with DDO. I think Turbine has handled the game very poorly, and they really do not care about DDO players (I've been playing since Beta). 

Maybe now we can see a Forgotten Realms MMO. 

Another bored vet. Ah, well.

Polish Sword Coast Legends Portal http://www.swordcoast.pl/
    SwordCoast.pl Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SwordCoastPL/
    SwordCoast.pl Twitter: https://twitter.com/SwordCoastPL
    Polish Neverwinter Portal http://www.neverwinter.com.pl/
    Polish D&D Online Portal http://www.ddopl.com
    DDOpl Twitter: http://twitter.com/DDOpl
    Great DDO PodCast by Jerry & co. http://www.ddocast.com

• SekkerhundSekkerhund Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Wintersbite

If this is true, that's pretty low of Atari to do. 

This is why Atari is known as the "Evil Empire of Gaming".  They have pulled this same trick with other developers they have partnered with.  EA is also known for using this tactic.  Google some of it, you all will be amazed.  I feel sorry for the shops that make the mistake of doing business with Atari. (or EA)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well everybdoy knows how crudy Atari is, all you have to do is look at their track record.

With that said, well Turbine new who they were getting in bed with, and still decided to do it.  I think both companies wanted the game to fail so they could sue each other.

I have no love for either company.  I have the lifetime sub at LOTRO, but its not worth it.  The developers all have lost their way, no XPAC this year,  Turbine claims they are growing, maybe in korea.  However the stats stay the same with the /who command.

You reap what you sew, I just feal for the folks who did the preo order.  I blame Turbine just as much as I blame atari, both companies are circling the bowl.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

Let's keep in mind the only information we have so far is Turbines allegations towards Atari. We have not heard any response (that I am aware of) from Atari, nor has a Court issued a ruling in favor of either party. So far, these are accusations, NOT facts.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• satch95satch95 Member Posts: 9

If you dance with the Devil, guess who leads......

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by dlunas

Yeah, it was a shady thing to do on Atari's part. But what is the underlying message here? I think it's that Atari realizes that DDO in it's iteration isn't a very viable MMO. If the heavily instanced game as it was made (granted I haven't played it since a few months after it's release) was in such a state they had to open up a F2P portion to their business model, well they're hurting for subscriptions in my opinion.
    I bet Atari wants to see the DnD license in a more traditional MMO setup, with a large world and multiple cities and such. To be honest, I do too. Granted, it'd have to be 3.5 ruleset or below.

Hell, I was liking the idea of being able to play DDO for free, and only having to subscribe if I wanted certain content.  My entire group had been considering going back to the game anyways even before Unlimited was announced.  Damned good fun, there.

Well, there is that, lol. My group has just decided that, pencil & paper gaming-wise, should we ever decide to play a fantasy setting game that we're completely skipping out on Wizards and going to Paizo's Pathfinder. Sure, it's DnD 3.5 ruleset with adjustments, but it's the principle of not supporting companies who make changes to product we don't agree with. Knowing Cryptic, though, I don't think my game group would have approved on their "direction" of a DnD MMO either. Outside of character aesthetics, they aren't really known for depth in gameplay.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• JeowanJeowan Member Posts: 79

bahahahaha!!

lol

Originally posted by dlunas

Well, there is that, lol. My group has just decided that, pencil & paper gaming-wise, should we ever decide to play a fantasy setting game that we're completely skipping out on Wizards and going to Paizo's Pathfinder. Sure, it's DnD 3.5 ruleset with adjustments, but it's the principle of not supporting companies who make changes to product we don't agree with. Knowing Cryptic, though, I don't think my game group would have approved on their "direction" of a DnD MMO either. Outside of character aesthetics, they aren't really known for depth in gameplay.

I've heard good things about  Pathfinder, a friend is even learning 3rd edition rules so as to write some material for it.  My entire core group prefers 3.5 greatly anyways, so that works for us.  How's it playing so far?

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Thrawl

Let's keep in mind the only information we have so far is Turbines allegations towards Atari. We have not heard any response (that I am aware of) from Atari, nor has a Court issued a ruling in favor of either party. So far, these are accusations, NOT facts.

Last week, with no warning, Turbine filed what can only be viewed as a frivolous lawsuit against Atari. This action can ultimately do a great disservice to D&D fans and to the MMO community at large. Turbine's actions also appear intended to divert attention from the contractual obligations that Turbine owes to Atari. In response, today Atari served a motion to dismiss the entirety of Turbine's lawsuit. Atari also filed a separate complaint to recover monies owed to Atari resulting from an independent third party audit of Turbine. While Atari hopes for a quick and fair resolution, it remains fully committed to the D&D communities worldwide and will vigorously protect the franchise and its own integrity in this matter.

Atari's responce. 

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

WOW

YIKES

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• BaneShadeBaneShade Member Posts: 33

Lol, Atari wants the lawsuit dismissed eh? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.