Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: GC '09: Demo Walkthrough Video Now Live!

Comments

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

All Bioware has to do to fix that is say SW:TOR is the first GOOD ever fully voiced MMO.

Replace a lie with another? I wouldn't say that's the best thing to do..

It's the Truth from a certain point of view (the world's). But I can see how it could be be perceived as non-truth by those on mind altering substances. After all you have to either be an idiot or a fanboy to get "Fully Voiced" from well this:

Final Fantasy XIV will also have a strong story backing up the gameplay. Like Final Fantasy XI, the story will be epic in scale, having the feel of a single-player title. Rich, full cut scenes will also become a staple of this title. When asked whether the game will feature voice acting for NPCs, the developers simply gave a nod and a wink and asked that we all "wait and see."

Only in your world does "Wait and See" = Fully Voiced with hundrends of thousands of lines of dialouge.

Next time, go easy on the Kessel Spice kid.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by wizyy

I've just watched all gameplay videos, and I CANNOT BELIEVE you people like it! Character models are horrible, and animations even worse! Gameplay has nothing even remotely special in it, and If these videos gets you excited, I'm sorry, but you must be very, VERY young.
    This is not an attempt at trolling, just expressing an opinion. I admit having similar opinion about WoW before trying it, though, but we have now many more quality games at the market, so I really don't think this has enough "dazzle" factor to compete.
    I'm an old fart, but I don't believe I would play this even in my younger days...
    :)

I'm with you, but then alot of people seem to like games that are so far dumbed down your computer can play by itself at the moment and if they like it let them play it, don't know why though.  Only problem is that at the moment you don't have a lot of choice in mmorpg terms if you want something more intelligent

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Only in your world does "Wait and See" = Fully Voiced with hundrends of thousands of lines of dialouge.

"How will the story be told? Powerful story is an essential part of the FF-series, and as far as the producers have said it will be important in XIV as well.

Yes the story is definitely very important for FF14. We will have high quality cutscenes with voiceovers and fx, please look forward to it.

There will also be voiceovers on mostly every character/npc in the game."

Actually in my world this means Full VO, but you can keep assuming things as much as you want. Too bad your assumptions couldn't be further away from the truth though.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Not sure where the actual debate is going on in this or the other thread?? So I repost what I said here. *__*

So many posts already, lol. I wonder who will read mine. o.0

Anywho... I think for an alpha it was ok. Since I am a big SW fan, yes it is cool. But truth be told, some things really irritate me. For instance, and most important, the graphics. Is it just me, or... I dunno, it more looked like the many years old Jedi Knight with the low detail textures. Looking at the world and those ship interiors, it more looked like WOW in space. Speaking purely of visual topics. I can't say how the game will be gameplay wise. Too many questions unanswered. Like is it more than a mere co-op game? Where is the vast open world people can roam and meet people. All I see are trailor made instances where people are lead through tunnels from event point A to event point B, and tbh, I don't find that so exciting.

I won't go into the fact that animations (walking!) and characters are rough atm, its alpha, so thats no issue for me now.

I dunno, but I had the feeling even SWG's landscapes and interiors looked more detailled. That "stylized realism" is quite a letdown I must say. :(

"How will the story be told? Powerful story is an essential part of the FF-series, and as far as the producers have said it will be important in XIV as well.

Yes the story is definitely very important for FF14. We will have high quality cutscenes with voiceovers and fx, please look forward to it.

Actually in my world this means Full VO, but you can keep assuming things as much as you want. Too bad your assumptions couldn't be further away from the truth though.

Nice. From what you posted the way it's worded it's pretty clear it's speculation on the part of the site whereas what I posted was clearly directly from the devs mouth. But hell even if we grant your lunacy your own quote "mostly every character/npc in the game" STILL doesn't = a Fully Voiced MMO. I understand in your world it does, but I think we've come to the understanding that your world doesn't have much in common with the real one.

So it seems then that Bioware is in fact being truthful when they say they are the first FULLY voiced MMO and you're just being a bitter betty. Keep on spinning sonny boy, that galaxy's gotta twirl somehow.

P.S. I love it when people post stuff that directly contradicts what they're saying. It just makes life that much more fulfilling. This just, Germany ALMOST conquored the world. They had it...mostly. Same thing though right?

• UbieUbie Member Posts: 185

Very impressive, I'm a fan of story driven MMOs and BioWare are the masters of storytelling in videogames.

Nice. From what you posted the way it's worded it's pretty clear it's speculation on the part of the site whereas what I posted was clearly directly from the devs mouth. But hell even if we grant your lunacy your own quote "mostly every character/npc in the game" STILL doesn't = a Fully Voiced MMO. I understand in your world it does, but I think we've come to the understanding that your world doesn't have much in common with the real one.

Keep on spinning sonny boy, that galaxy's gotta twirl somehow.

Yes, the producer of the game is speculating as to what the devs might do in that interview- there's no way he would be informed that the game would have voice acting, no. >_>;

Does SW:TOR have full voice acting on 4 different languages btw? I'd say that brings the amount of dialogue needed to voice act a bit more than what Bioware is attempting to do, making their claim seem even more silly.

PS. you didn't seem to notice the word 'every' after the word 'mostly'.

• PersephassaPersephassa Member Posts: 223
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have never been one of those "trekky" fans,but if i was ,i would be after Bioware,to let them know this effort is not acceptable.The ONLY part of the game that will have quality,is voice overs,but that is also VERY easy to implement.This game looks like they put it together VERY quickly,i would not even accept this kind of effort from a console game,let alone a PC game.
    For example UT99 with it's hi res texture pack looks better.That is a game that is 10 years old and no question UT99 has much better animations and sounds for the weapons,this is just a real bad effort by Bioware.EQ1 looks better than this,heck this game might actually make Fallen Earth look good.
    I have no idea why they chose this direction,even if they were aiming for EXTREMELY old PC's like Pentium2's maybe?they should still make the game adjustable so that higher end machines could actually have a nice looking game.BTW before anyone goes into that usual Alpha/beta talk,this "IS" what the game will look like,you are not getting better quality on release,well not unless they realize how bad it looks,and redesigns the entire quality.That would set this game back another full year for sure.
    It looks to me ,that Bioware figures all they have to do is rival the original SOE SWG for graphics.Well i have news for Bioware,that game was released in 2003[probably produced from 1999-2003] and had quite a bit of content and game play to back it up.Personally i would feel better playing SOE's SWG before i would play this game.Even worse,it is hard to believe but WOW looks incredible when compared to this effort.

Why do you mean 'trekky' fans? This is Star Wars, not Star Trek. That makes no sense.

Keep on spinning sonny boy, that galaxy's gotta twirl somehow.

Yes, the producer of the game is speculating as to what the devs might do in that interview- there's no way he would be informed that the game would have voice acting, no. >_>;

Does SW:TOR have full voice acting on 4 different languages btw? I'd say that brings the amount of dialogue needed to voice act a bit more than what Bioware is attempting to do, making their claim seem even more silly.

PS. you didn't seem to notice the word 'every' after the word 'mostly'.

Ya. Sorry I got hung up on the word mostly. You know, that word which really has nothing in common with the word every and in fact invalidates the meaning of that word when it's used in conjunction with it.

Ya. Maybe instead of ranting like a loon about a game you don't seem interested in playing you could get around to letting SE know it'd be nice if they stuff the pretty PR speech and you know...make the crap coming out of their mouths resemble the English langauge?

You seem mostly every hellbent on backpeddling now.

Ya. Sorry I got hung up on the word mostly. You know, that word which really has nothing in common with the word every and in fact invalidates the meaning of that word when it's used in conjunction with it.
    Ya. Maybe instead of ranting like a loon about a game you don't seem interested in playing you could get around to letting SE know it'd be nice if they stuff the pretty PR speech and you know...make the crap coming out of their mouths resemble the English langauge?

Can't be an error on the interviewer's part, no way! 

All I'd like to see is to make Bioware stop with the baseless claims they seem to make time after another (First MMO to have story! First MMO to have full VO! First MMO to have different stories for different classes!). All this has been done before, right now they're only making themselves look silly.

Can't be an error on the interviewer's part, no way! 

INTERSTING. Suddenly now that I've invalidated the interview you posted you go on ahead and say "Can't be an error on the interviewer's part, no way?"

Tell me something, if you didn't have any confidence in the validity of the interview or you weren't sure it was accurate why then did you try and base your entire (pointless) accusation on it? What's that now? You knew you had no ground to stand on so you went and grabbed the first source that looked like it supported your views (even though it proved the opposite of what you were saying)?  Ya see now...you have zero credibility. It's pretty clear that you have an agenda (by your own admission) and you won't let petty little things like the facts stop you. Oh no, you're doing God's work.

What did Bioware do to you anyways? Did they kick your Tamagotchi? I think we're done here.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

So it seems then that Bioware is in fact being truthful when they say they are the first FULLY voiced MMO and you're just being a bitter betty. Keep on spinning sonny boy, that galaxy's gotta twirl somehow.

P.S. I love it when people post stuff that directly contradicts what they're saying. It just makes life that much more fulfilling. This just, Germany ALMOST conquored the world. They had it...mostly. Same thing though right?

I'm sure the mostly part is because there are some NPCs that you don't interact with so there is no reason to voice them. You know what I'm saying? Just like random villagers who wander around to make the world seem like it's alive, but serve no specific purpose.

INTERSTING. Suddenly now that I've invalidated the interview you posted you go on ahead and say "Can't be an error on the interviewer's part, no way?"
    Tell me something, if you didn't have any confidence in the validity of the interview or you weren't sure it was accurate why then did you try and base your entire (pointless) accusation on it? What's that now? You knew you had no ground to stand on so you went and grabbed the first source that looked like it supported your views (even though it proved the opposite of what you were saying)?  Ya see now...you have zero credibility. It's pretty clear that you have an agenda (by your own admission) and you won't let petty little things like the facts stop you. Oh no, you're doing God's work.

What did Bioware do to you anyways? Did they kick your Tamagotchi? I think we're done here.

It is valid, even if the interviewer's first language isn't English. 

Even if we remove those words from the quote, it's still apparent that FFXIV will have it's characters and NPC's VO'd, as well as cutscenes. What the interviewer really meant by "mostly every" is unknown, but we can just ignore those words if it's such an issue here.

Originally posted by xaldraxius

I'm sure the mostly part is because there are some NPCs that you don't interact with so there is no reason to voice them. You know what I'm saying? Just like random villagers who wander around to make the world seem like it's alive, but serve no specific purpose.

Well then let's take our hats off to Bioware then. They're going the EXTRA mile and voicing even those random walking about NPCs.

Even if we remove those words from the quote, it's still apparent that FFXIV will have it's characters and NPC's VO'd, as well as cutscenes. What the interviewer really meant by "mostly every" is unknown, but we can just ignore those words if it's such an issue here.

The only thing that's apparent is that it ISN'T FULLY voiced otherwise why say our X and Y and Z will be voiced. Why not just say...fully voiced. Maybe becuase it isn't? Ya that seems to make sense.

Well then let's take our hats off to Bioware then. They're going the EXTRA mile and voicing even those random walking about NPCs.

The only thing that's apparent is that it ISN'T FULLY voiced otherwise why say our X and Y and Z will be voiced. Why not just say...fully voiced. Maybe becuase it isn't? Ya that seems to make sense.

Well then let's take our hats off to SE then. They're going the EXTRA league and voicing cutscenes and NPC's on 4 different languages.

Cutscenes and NPC's are voiced... what else is there to be voiced?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have never been one of those "trekky" fans,but if i was ,i would be after Bioware,to let them know this effort is not acceptable.
    Hehe, seems you in the wrong section, this is about Star Wars......not Star Trek.
    The ONLY part of the game that will have quality,is voice overs,but that is also VERY easy to implement.This game looks like they put it together VERY quickly,i would not even accept this kind of effort from a console game,let alone a PC game.
    Voice over EASY to implement, I am sure I've seen you some times on different section, so atleast I know you with gaming some time, but to make a comment about voice overs being easy to impliment, kinda looks as if you absolute have no clue how that works. Sorry......
    For example UT99 with it's hi res texture pack looks better.That is a game that is 10 years old and no question UT99 has much better animations and sounds for the weapons,this is just a real bad effort by Bioware.EQ1 looks better than this,heck this game might actually make Fallen Earth look good.
    I felt the graphics actualy are very close to regular single/multiplayer games and I mean NEW games, sorry but if you seriously want to compare it to UT99 then you must have something not so right with your eye's, again I am sorry to say this.
    I have no idea why they chose this direction,even if they were aiming for EXTREMELY old PC's like Pentium2's maybe?they should still make the game adjustable so that higher end machines could actually have a nice looking game.BTW before anyone goes into that usual Alpha/beta talk,this "IS" what the game will look like,you are not getting better quality on release,well not unless they realize how bad it looks,and redesigns the entire quality.That would set this game back another full year for sure.
    Ah I see you already know system specs of the game aswell all the tweak/setting option that probebly will be in the game?, not sure if you know any games where you not are able to change your graphic setting. But then again you might be a person that dislikes most new games with new graphics, perhaps you just love the old......
    It looks to me ,that Bioware figures all they have to do is rival the original SOE SWG for graphics.Well i have news for Bioware,that game was released in 2003[probably produced from 1999-2003] and had quite a bit of content and game play to back it up.Personally i would feel better playing SOE's SWG before i would play this game.Even worse,it is hard to believe but WOW looks incredible when compared to this effort.
    Graphics of SWG still stand great today, it's the animations that make that game look pretty dated.

I've seen allot of complaints about this game, many I can relate to, mine is that so far the game looks great, seems to have very nice gameplay, yet my main issue for now is I am not feeling it as a MMORPG, but I was kinda suprised to see a complaint like the one Wizardry made. And like I said the game looks great for a co-op or single player game and am afraid for now that when I am gonna play it, it makes me play it like I do with single/multiplayer games, and thats not really what I want out of a game in the genre of MMORPG's. But it can be fun nevertheless in just a gaming way.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168

Looks like Square-Enix just owned Bioware.
    "SW: TOR is the first ever fully voiced MMO"- Wrong, lol.
    FFXIV is doing it too, and the game is coming out earlier than SW: TOR will- too bad!

Those games are fail pieces of crap. Hence why few people here will ever bother playing them. You must be one of the fake hypers for that game. Even Aion is better. WTH are you talking about FF in a SWTOR thread?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by tillamook

Those games are fail pieces of crap. Hence why few people here will ever bother playing them. You must be one of the fake hypers for that game. Even Aion is better. WTH are you talking about FF in a SWTOR thread?

I'm talking about Bioware being a bunch of liars, that's all o_0;

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Impressive - for a single player co-op game.  I still dont see the MMO in this MMO.

The choice to kill the captain came down to 1 person, what if the other person or persons in the group didint want to kill the captain?

I hope their next video concentrates on MMO features. Guilds, Dungeons
    aids, PvP etc.

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

After watching that...  I'm having a hard time thinking of playing anything else.  I'm so pumped!  This is going to be THE Star Wars experience bar none.  I can't wait to see the other classes which have yet to be announced, I still think I'm going to make one of each.

As for Hyanmen, dude,  Bioware hasn't lied.  They said they were the first fully-voiced MMO, they are.  Also, what MMO has different storyline for each class with different choices which make an impact on your character?  I haven't seen one yet like that.  FFXIV is going to be a great game, but coming in here spewing stuff isn't the way to promote it.  This is The Old Republic forums, if we wanted to talk about Square's next MMO, we would go into that forum.  I'm watching both games, it's just that I love Star Wars more than Final Fantasy and that's all it comes down to basically for me, maybe others as well. 

I grew up with both Star Wars and Final Fantasy, though I like Sci-fi/steampunk/cyberpunk more than fantasy, which is the main reason for me being more excited for The Old Republic.  I'll be playing Aion until TOR comes out, it seems a pretty solid choice while I wait and a nice escape from college life when I need it.

Again, I'm impressed and excited by this video.   

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898
    Originally posted by coffee

Impressive - for a single player co-op game.  I still dont see the MMO in this MMO.
    The choice to kill the captain came down to 1 person, what if the other person or persons in the group didint want to kill the captain?
    I hope their next video concentrates on MMO features. Guilds, Dungeons
    aids, PvP etc.

Yeah my thought too. This opens entirely new ways of griefing.

"NOOOO! No dammit I didnt want to kill that char! Thanks for making me re-roll all over!"  ><

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

I'm going to go broke playing this and FF.   I can't wait.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168

Originally posted by tillamook

I'm talking about Bioware being a bunch of liars, that's all o_0;

Well untill I hear something official form from SQUARE ENIX  in the form of a challenge the only one I'm gonna assume is full of crap here is you.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Asmiroth20

As for Hyanmen, dude,  Bioware hasn't lied.  They said they were the first fully-voiced MMO, they are.  Also, what MMO has different storyline for each class with different choices which make an impact on your character?  I haven't seen one yet like that.  FFXIV is going to be a great game, but coming in here spewing stuff isn't the way to promote it.  This is The Old Republic forums, if we wanted to talk about Square's next MMO, we would go into that forum.  I'm watching both games, it's just that I love Star Wars more than Final Fantasy and that's all it comes down to basically for me, maybe others as well. 
      I grew up with both Star Wars and Final Fantasy, though I like Sci-fi/steampunk/cyberpunk more than fantasy, which is the main reason for me being more excited for The Old Republic.  I'll be playing Aion until TOR comes out, it seems a pretty solid choice while I wait and a nice escape from college life when I need it.
      Again, I'm impressed and excited by this video.   

This is news discussion forum, not TOR forum =P

I have nothing against TOR really, looks like a decent game that could very well be the next WoW for all I know. But from what I've heard the devs say, it makes it seem like they're completely ignoring the MMO's that have already implemented things like stories for each class. Part of why I was irritated was also because they weren't specific with what they said.. if they said "stories with multiple choices that impact your character for each class" instead of "first MMO to have stories for each class", then that would be alright, since it's true.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Anyone else feel as I do about the combat looking too easy?  They took on hordes of enemies at the end and even the Jedi Knight which the guy claimed was hard barely made a scratch i either player.  Another issue with the game I have is the fact they want people to feel heroic from day one... that just seems so cookie-cutter catering to the large amount of pussies out there who want everything for nothing.  Everyone should start out as dirt and through hard work maybe become heroic.  The AI looks like it was made to be stupid... no character in those videos ever took a lot of damage.  

The visuals and art direction are cool, but everything else just feels like such a waste of what a new SW MMO could be.  The story line stuff is a nice touch.... but in the end I see a game catering towards the lazy gamer.  I'm also  huge PvP buff, and from what I saw in the video I have no idea how they will balance it.  That last battle would have been so much cooler if it was a PvP instance in the sense that there could be republic players trying to destroy that ship and the Sith guys had to stop them.  

Long story short cool graphics, boring combat, unknown PvP potential due to balancing class abilities, very much so directed to the type of gamer who doesn't like a challenge and must have everything easy.  They best make this game hard or it'll only be a brief stay for me. Sorry but I game to have fun, fun to me is a hard and challenging game.  This game fails in that area badly thus far.

Full Sail University - Game Design