Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The average gamer is 35, overweight, and more likely to be depressed

Comments

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Have you seen the crappy games being released lately? Gamers have a damn good reason to be depressed.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by Nythious

I would like to confirm this information with this Blizzon 2009 Photo

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/august/blizzcon_day0_009.jpg

You're welcome. 

You win.

/thread

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Damn... it looks like in order to catch up with new gaming trends I have to: age for about 8 years, dump my girlfriend, get fat and give up my reasonable optimistic attitude to life. Life of a gamer is not easy....

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by bonobotheory

Have you seen the crappy games being released lately? Gamers have a damn good reason to be depressed.

LOL...so true.

The average gamer is fat...well according to most studies the average human being is overweight. Before it was the average person who watches tv is overweight. Now with 500 channels of utter crap on TV, they gotta blame the games. And with the crap games comming out...they will hafta find something else to blame the overweight epidemic.

I bet they will blame it on fast food or soda pop or something silly like that!

• BureykuBureyku Member Posts: 488

Haha I thought it said the average gamer, and not the average WoW gamer.  If it was average WoW gamer I would add to the list easily entertained, and unintelligent.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by bonobotheory

Everyone here at work is staring at me because I am laughing so hard :)  Good comment.

BTW I am 64 years old 5' 7" and weigh 125 pounds.  I guess I am not average :)

• LostHawkLostHawk Member UncommonPosts: 56

Old ? yes 40.

Depressed ? no, I take prozac :p

Overweight ? Nope slim

• Draco91Draco91 Member Posts: 134

I find the number of people responding to this thread who think the poll is just part of a conspiracy theory of health professionals trying to make money off of us funny and ridiculous. I don't know of a single doctor who does what they do for money. Sure, they have a job for money. But they aren't a doctor for money. They're a doctor or a pharmacist because they are interested in the subject matter, and they're interested in helping people. I have plenty of doctors, nurses, and pharmacists in my family and my friends' families. None of them have ever gotten excited over a new disease because they know it's going to make them more money. Being overweight is unhealthy. It's fact. Overweight people are more likely to develop health problems such as heart failure and clogged arteries, etc... thus, it's important to determine major causes of overweightness in our population so that we can take steps to combat it to improve the quality and longevity of life.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]" (Wikipedia.org, 8-24-09)

The best way to deal with trolls:
    http://www.angelfire.com/space/usenet/ [IGNORE THEM, THEY JUST WANT ATTENTION!]

• tutubitutubi Member Posts: 47

this is just the usual stereotype of gamers but personally speaking. ive had guildmates in wow who are lawyers, doctors, policemen and soldiers... gaming has a very diverse community

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by rounner
    Your first statement that there is an overabundance of food is a paraphrasing of what they said.
    Your 'it is ok to be fat' rant is another paraphrasing.
    Can't work out if you are an irony fail or are so self obsessed over your weight that you can't see this.

Might want to work on your reading comprehension and look up a definition of "paraphrasing" while you are at it.

My first statement was a refutation of what he said. The idea that portion size has gone up in the US is a myth. At best it is selectively true of certain categories of restaurants, isn't backed up by any reputable studies and generally part of the "we evil people consume too much" campaign. Historical caloric intakes are generally much higher, it's just that when you are working 10hr days in a factory or on a farm you burn off that 3-5000 calorie diet, you don't sitting in an office chair.

My "rant" has nothing to do with "it's okay to be fat"; the entire point of it is that it is none of your damn business wether I am or not. Any more than it is your business what color shoes I wear. Your entire line of "it's unhealthy to be fat" BS is based on the premise that you or anyone else have any right whatsoever to make me "be healthy". Neither you nor the government has the right, obligation or privelege of mandating my behavior in that fashion.

And I can't work out if you are just clueless or another totalitarian nutball who wants to run everyones life for them.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

You can't disprove a scientific study that (should have) researched thousands of different persons by saying that you aren't as the study. Either you all want to share with the rest of the world of good-looking, well-trained and optimistic you are or you... well believe that one single example disproves thousands. And when we're on the subject I'm well-trained, 18 and fairly optimistic.

• johnspartanjohnspartan Member Posts: 172

This thread would be a lot more interesting if people actually knew anything about research method, statistical variation, etc.

"But I'm not like that so this study is wrong" is about the most asinine thing one could possibly say.

Your opinion is immaterial.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667
    Originally posted by Borkotron

37 years old. Check.
    Overweight. Check.
    Depressed. Check.
    Dang....
    Well, at least I have a job and live on my own. I've had plenty of g/f's in my life and even have a daughter though not married to her mother.  I guess gaming is much like smoking pot...both make you realize that most of the crap the people of this world consider important really is not. The older one gets, the more they want to be left alone. This is why gaming is soooo appealing (and why Second Life in particular is loaded with age 30+ residents)!!

This might be the issue with this guy.... just saying it affects us all differently.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by rikilii

The study doesn't say that games cause people to be overweight or depressed, any more than it says that games cause people to be 35 years old on average.

Yes, a lot of people here don't seem to know the difference between correlation and causation.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

This may have been stated already, did not make it through 20 some odd pages of text.  Some funny stuff in some of them though.

However, this quote from the original source made me laugh:

[quote]...The study, which was carried out in the Seattle-Tacoma area, found that gamers reported "lower extraversion, consistent with research on adolescents that linked video-game playing to a sedentary lifestyle and overweight status, and to mental-health concerns." ...[/quote]

My gawd man!  How many different studies are they going to carry out in upper Washington State that prove that the Seattle area residents are depressed? 

I mean that is where Grunge came from!  There was a study that came out about 10-15 years ago where most 20 somethings were depressed because of the baqd weather year round and not beiong able to get outside much.  Sounds to me like the person doing the sudy from that just got older and found Online Gaming! 

LOL!

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by beeker255

Never heard much about ADH ADD(well except in MMO's ;) ADHD....and all these other disorders till around late 90's..
    not saying there fake just saying its was spastic kid or quite kid :)

They just didn't use that "politically correct" terminology back in the day.  30+ years ago, I remember going to school with a kid who was "hyperactive".  Today, he'd be ADHD.  Same thing, different name.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Complete non sense.

THe adverage people in USA are overweight... do the same research in canada and your results will be completely different.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by Antipathy

Food for thought...

A few years ago, I went to a roleplaying convention in Paris. I was surprised how slim and healthy many of the attendees were.

Not trying to pick on France here, but the government mandated workweek is 35 hours, with 4 weeks per year mandated vacation. If I had that much fucking free time off I'd be slim and healthy too. But instead I'm sitting at a desk 11 hours a day, with little time to cook a nice healthy meal or get out and exercise one or two hours a day. It pisses me off to no end when people think Americans are lazy when in reality we probably work more hours than anyone else in the world and get less vacation for the most part. I won't deny I eat bad and rarely exercise, but there's only so many hours in the day, you know?

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Redline65 . It pisses me off to no end when people think Americans are lazy when in reality we probably work more hours than anyone else in the world and get less vacation for the most part. I won't deny I eat bad and rarely exercise, but there's only so many hours in the day, you know?

Many people get pissed off with the victim complex of Americans. The post wasn't about you. I didn't even mention Americans. I was specifically comparing the French with the people I know best, the English.

On the other hand, your post prompted me to have a quick internet browse. I found a nice graph in Wikipaedia, which is apparently based on a 2004 OECD study. Here's some quick figures for annual work hours:

Korea: 2390

Poland: 1984

Mexico:  1980

Czech republic: 1882

Japan: 1828

Greece: 1811

USA: 1777

Great Britain: 1652

France: 1346

So whilst you guys undoubtably work pretty hard, you're a long way from being the hardest working...

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Originally posted by rikilii

The study doesn't say that games cause people to be overweight or depressed, any more than it says that games cause people to be 35 years old on average.

Yes, a lot of people here don't seem to know the difference between correlation and causation.

Sadly, way too many of those with that problem are legislators, regulators and policy-makers. It's relatively useless studies like this that get used as "proof" to support regulations, taxation and treatment programs.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by Antipathy

Originally posted by Redline65 . It pisses me off to no end when people think Americans are lazy when in reality we probably work more hours than anyone else in the world and get less vacation for the most part. I won't deny I eat bad and rarely exercise, but there's only so many hours in the day, you know?

Many people get pissed off with the victim complex of Americans. The post wasn't about you. I didn't even mention Americans. I was specifically comparing the French with the people I know best, the English.

On the other hand, your post prompted me to have a quick internet browse. I found a nice graph in Wikipaedia, which is apparently based on a 2004 OECD study. Here's some quick figures for annual work hours:

Korea: 2390

Poland: 1984

Mexico:  1980

Czech republic: 1882

Japan: 1828

Greece: 1811

USA: 1777

Great Britain: 1652

France: 1346

So whilst you guys undoubtably work pretty hard, you're a long way from being the hardest working...

That's pretty cool to see. If true, Koreans must be pretty damn hardworking.

• VarshevaVarsheva Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Nythious

I would like to confirm this information with this Blizzon 2009 Photo

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/august/blizzcon_day0_009.jpg

You're welcome. 

Nythious wins the /thread :) 

Of course like another posted said you could just replace "Gamer" in that study with "Almost Any American sub-group" and the results would the same.

There is just more of us to love baby! Or be depressed over if thats the case :)

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

The average person that conducts these useless polls are overweight lazy and overpaid men that have probably never been good at games. Seriously this comes from the same group of people that did a survey on what color cars birds preferred to crap on. Their conclusion was white.

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by NovaKayne

This may have been stated already, did not make it through 20 some odd pages of text.  Some funny stuff in some of them though.

However, this quote from the original source made me laugh:
    [quote]...The study, which was carried out in the Seattle-Tacoma area, found that gamers reported "lower extraversion, consistent with research on adolescents that linked video-game playing to a sedentary lifestyle and overweight status, and to mental-health concerns." ...[/quote]

My gawd man!  How many different studies are they going to carry out in upper Washington State that prove that the Seattle area residents are depressed? 

I mean that is where Grunge came from!  There was a study that came out about 10-15 years ago where most 20 somethings were depressed because of the baqd weather year round and not beiong able to get outside much.  Sounds to me like the person doing the sudy from that just got older and found Online Gaming! 

LOL!

haha very good point! but man I wouldn't change the place it gave us Soundgarden and some great bands :)

• SavageSageSavageSage Member UncommonPosts: 66

Sounds more like most of the bar/pub/tavern goes that I know.  Same demographic as heavy drinkers.  Typical group of people that practice escapeism.  Just going online instead of in bottle for their escape.